Photo

Milk probably a reason for acne

vitamin vitamins vitamin d milk steroid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 bart1986

bart1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:08 AM

Well I'm drinking a lot of milk and also have a lot of pickels, after reading this article I think I'm going to change the milk to water or something...

Got zits? Try wiping off that milk mustache!

Will drinking milk make you greasy, grimy, and pimply? Some doctors suspect that the fat, animal protein, sugar, and hormones in milk irritate the skin, causing break-outs.
Dr. Jerome K. Fisher conducted a clinical study of 1,088 teen-age patients over 10 years and reported to the American Dermatological Association that milk was a principal contributor to some patients' acne. Dr. Fisher found that their acne tapered off as their milk consumption did.
Dr. Fisher noted that dairy products often contain large amounts of butterfat and milk sugar, both of which, he believed, aggravate acne. He also suspected that the high volume of hormones produced naturally in the milk of pregnant cows may break down into androgen when consumed, which in turn stimulates the production of sebum, the waxy substance secreted by the sebaceous glands that clogs pores and creates acne when the pores become infected.
Milk may also contain excessive amounts of iodine, which can irritate pores, bringing on acne flare-ups. According to James E. Fulton Jr., M.D., head of the Acne Research Institute in Newport Beach, Calif., "In some who are acne-prone, I'd say 1,000 micrograms or one milligram of iodine a day could be a problem." A recent analysis of milk samples collected from 175 dairy herds throughout Wisconsin averaged 466 micrograms of iodine per liter; 11 percent of the samples contained more than 1,000 micrograms of iodine per liter. (The iodine gets into the milk through the use of contaminated milking equipment and medication given to the cows.)

Squeeze an acne pimple and out oozes greasy white, mucousy pus.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows 750 million pus cells in every liter of milk (about two pounds) produced in America.
The dairy industry refers to these pus cells as "somatic cells." The somatic cell count (SCC) is measured in thimblefuls (milliliters). If milk contains more than 750,000 pus cells in one thimbleful (ml), the milk is rejected.
In Europe, regulators allow 400 million pus cells per liter. France and Italy are known for their magnificent cheeses. Perhaps that's their secret: Less pus!
A two-slice portion (2 ounces) of greasy cooked Canadian bacon contains 33 mg of cholesterol and 4.8 grams of fat. Compare that to a two-ounce portion of mozzarella on a slice of pizza containing 35% more cholesterol (44.5 mg) and 2 1/2 times the amount of fat (12.26 grams).

Acne occurs when steroids (androgens) stimulate the sebaceous glands within the skin's hair follicles. These glands then secrete an oily substance called sebum. When sebum, bacteria and dead skin cells build up on your skin, the pores become blocked, creating a zit.
What do you expect? When teenagers combine their own surging hormones with dietary saturated animal fat, cholesterol, steroid hormones, dead white blood cells, and cow pus, they're gonna get zits. The good news: The cure is an easy one: NOTMILK!

"As pointed out by Dr. Jerome Fisher, 'About 80 percent of cows that are giving milk are pregnant and are throwing off hormones continuously.' Progesterone breaks down into androgens, which have been implicated as a factor in the development of acne...Dr. Fisher observed that his teenage acne patients improved as soon as the milk drinking stopped."
Don't Drink Your Milk, by Frank Oski, M.D. (Director, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)

"Acne usually begins at puberty, when an increase in androgens causes an increase in the size and activity of pilosebaceous glands....if a food is suspected, it should be omitted for several weeks and then eaten in substantial quantities to determine if acne worsens."
MERCK Manual, Merck & Company, 2000

"Acne is an end-organ hyper-response to androgens...These data show that sebaceous glands are stimulated by androgens to varying degrees and support the theory of an end-organ response in acne."
British Journal of Dermatology, 1998 Jul, 139:1

"Acne vulgaris is a self-limiting skin disorder seen primarily in adolescents, whose etiology appears to be multifactorial. The immunologic response involves both humoral and cell-mediated pathways. Further research should clarify the role of complement, cytotoxins, and neutrophils in this acne-forming response."
Postgrad Med J, 1999 Jun, 75:884

"Hormones found in cow's milk include: Estradiol, Estriol, Progesterone, Testosterone, 17-Ketosteroids, Corticosterone, Vitamin D, insulin-like growth factor, growth hormone, prolactin, oxytocin..."
Journal of Endocrine Reviews, 14(6) 1992

"We studied the effects of growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), alone and with androgen, on sebaceous epithelial cell growth...IGF-I was the most potent stimulus of DNA synthesis. These data are consistent with the concept that increases in GH and IGF production contribute in complementary ways to the increase in sebum production during puberty."
Endocrinology, 1999 Sep, 140:9, 4089-94

"...serum IGF-I levels increased significantly in the milk drinking group…an increase of about 10% above baseline-but was unchanged in the control group."
Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 99, no. 10. October 1999

I GUESS THIS IS ENOUGH REASON TO NOT DRINK MILK NO MORE...

#2 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:04 AM

don't replace milk with water
drink 64 ounces of water a day in addition to enriched soy milk. that way you are still getting your calcium and minerals and vitamins.

#3 Fame

Fame

All About this U

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:33 AM

yea you still need milk imo. I drink Fat Free Milk but only in the morning and a cup at night for protein shake. It may make acne worse to those prone i guess.

#4 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:17 PM

drink 64 ounces of water a day in addition to enriched soy milk. that way you are still getting your calcium and minerals and vitamins.

Unfortunately soy milk also has hormones in it. ](*,)

#5 eff

eff

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:47 PM

hmm...I just drink full-fat unpasteurized milk...raw straight from the cow. No added hormone. No acne problems here. :-k

http://www.realmilk.org/

#6 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:59 PM

I have heard *many* things about milk and how bad it is for adults in general.

it's great when you are young, but, as we get older we need it less and less. Particularly the nasty bulk produced milk with all sorts of crap in it.

If you are going to drink milk, make sure it's 100% certified organic, no hormones added, no weird preservatives or chemical treatments.

or better yet, just drink soy milk! biggrin.gif

I'm not lactose intolerant, I don't hate milk, but I love silk vanilla way more than regular milk! biggrin.gif/

#7 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

Unfortunately soy milk also has hormones in it. ](*,)

wha????
all soy milk?

#8 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:40 PM

Organic soy milk does not always have hormones in it. Read the labels and the company's policy on this.

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:23 AM

IN most countries outside of the states, it is illegal for producers to put extra hormones cows to produce more milk, chickens to grow more, etc...
The natural hormones that are in milk are easily handled by the body, at least a healthy body. Maybe some of you that think your not lactose intolerant are, and maybe some of you should do a organ detox/flush so that your body is running like it should and can handle the milk. Soy is not much better in terms of overall health than milk so don't overdo it.

#10 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:16 AM

Soy contains isoflavones, which are plant based estrogens. Another poster suggested that consuming the extra feminine hormones from soy products would cause your body to produce more androgens to balance out. I've never heard of a soy milk not having isoflavones, because isoflavones are linked to other health benefits, are naturally occuring in all soy beans, and they would have to put the milk through a specific process to destroy the isoflavones.

#11 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:23 AM

i have some sun soy stuff
and it says it has no isoflavones

#12 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

i have some sun soy stuff
and it says it has no isoflavones

Is that soy milk?

If so, that's good. I'll have to check for isoflavone-less milk next time i go shopping.