Photo

Benzoyl Peroxide prolongs red marks. True or False?

red mark hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 paulvg

paulvg

Samick Greg Bennett Royale Line Guitars' Rocks!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

Its true...as a proof,click on this link... eusa_shifty.gif

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules that you agreed to when you signed up here. Also realize that that site sells its own products that don't include BP so of course they'll try to demonize BP....*

Edited by Wynne, 22 May 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#22 skatelakai

skatelakai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

well, Ive been using proactive since April 08, till this day. I get minor breakout every couple or days or so. I would not mind these, but they contribute to my red mark situation. I have a bunch of those red marks from past blemishes, you think if I discontinue using the BP then they will go way?

FYI- Do NOT go out in the sun without your face protected with a moisturizer or sunscreen of at least spf 15 if you have these red marks, the sun makes them darker and prolongs them.

#23 Transporter

Transporter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

Acually i'm gonna take brokens side that he/shes right abut it, if you dont apply bp for days thn your acne will occur again wid more acne instead ov detting better your skin willl go to the worst.. so dont leave bp use it N try lemon juice or apple cider vinger on your skin to fade redness try it for a week N youll get the results.. =) cool.gif
QUOTE (brokendoll @ Nov 8 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i actually am guna say NO on that.

My face is ACTUALLY clear- no active pimples- just minor red marks.
i had seriously bad red marks and tried all sorts of peels- and lemon juice (which worked great) and glycolic etc.

honestly- my red marks are fading fast and i use a shit ton of BP. the best thing is time. as long as the bp is stopping new ones from forming.. the old marks finally get to heal.

heres my routine and it workssssssss for me and my olive easily scarrd skin:

morning:
olay daily renewal wash - but i use the exfoliating wash pads to wash with (i dont use a wash cloth (germy and abraisive) and i dont just use my hands (toooooooooo gentle... no exfoliation- when i did this way according to dans method of being gentle- i just noticed dead skin building up)

- and i BLOWDRY my face with the COOL air (ive heard people sleeping w fans and just the circulating air helps their face a LOT- this is working huge for me i think.)

dans bp- let it dry- and follow with neutrogene visibly even moisturizer (i swearrrr by this stuff! moisturizes... even skin tone (i think this is helping huge w the red marks) and it doesnt cause mroe breakouts or shine (my skin is wicked oily)

i use EM makeup w the MUF HD primer underneath

at nite i wash off - maybe do a mask if im in the mood- and LOAD LOAD LOAD on bp.

lifes been good ever since.
thak god for dan
red marks are fading and i use all the bp i can load on. sooooo i do no agree that it prolongs it =)

#24 troubledtimes

troubledtimes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

Id say they definately do.. Ive been using differin for over a month now with BP on chin pimples and they always leave behind purple marks, most of them havnt even faded yet and its been this long. I think Im going to stop the BP, but it sucks because I cant use anything else because of the differin... which I cant say for sure if its working or not :/

#25 amyelizabeth94

amyelizabeth94

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Read up on Niacinamide. I use Metazine brand with niacinamide, witch hazel, and aloe vera. It works pretty well. I stopped used BP about a month ago because it made my red marks last longer. I do use Mandelic Acid, copper peptides, emu oil, and take spironolactone. The spiro is probably the main reason I'm clear.

#26 Jaynine9

Jaynine9

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

i too find bp prolongs red marks. as well as hyperpigmentation.

#27 libra27

libra27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

I don't recommend BP for most people because in my experiences with it- your skin can become almost immune to it, and it works fine for a few months and then just stops! I would suggest using a Sal. Acid cleanser instead, something like DermAware Deep and clear. ITs a pure plant cleanser that is soap free and has healing agents in in like: green tea, Tea tree, Sal. acid, Lactic acid, and soothing botanicals. It's a top selling item at the med. spa I work at. But i have gotten mixed responses on all BP washes.
You could also try a topical vitamin K- which help heal redness, pinkness and vascularities in the skin like broken capillaries and dark circles caused by leaky caps. under the skin of the eye area. It also helps to prevent scaring from things like acne. I used it and noticed a big reduction of overall redness in my skin.
maybe think about a clarisonic as well. Those brushes are expensive but awesome. I have the pro and have been using it for less than a week and I actually look forward to cleasing my skin!
I have noticed it has helped my skin and red spots because it deep cleanses and stimulates- check out my post on it! they are so worth the investment in your skin! good luck!

#28 hayate

hayate

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Its easy, in BP instructions (at least on mine) it says: "it causes redness simmilar to a sunburn", therefore, your red marks will look more active(more red).
Forget the redness, you should focus on making pimples disapear, that is the most important, redness will fade with time but indent scars no, so just stick with the BP and do not use oily things on your skin unless it was made for people with acne.
Cheers, hope you're better by now!

#29 zh17

zh17

Zach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

from my personal experience I do think it prolongs red marks, additionally I think bp makes your face red to start with.

#30 cab

cab

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Defs agree, before BP red marks would go in a week, now it's been about 3 with no significant improvement, kind of a downer. Trying out red light to see if that makes it fade, vitamin e helps alot. As for the BP itself, I don't think it is as good as what ppl suggest, really hard on the skin and all. I'm trying out a blue light but for me at this point pimples aren't as bad as they used to be, the red marks sticking round are though! Got one giant one on the left side of my face from where 3 under the skin sort of pimples were, it's my nemesis, I call him Nemesis.

#31 patriots81

patriots81

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

In my opinion it absolutely makes red marks stay longer, and i'll even go as far to say as bp might cause them. Before I was on the regimen I had bad acne but when pimples did fade I didn't remember any red marks, as soon as I started the regimen the acne went down but left red marks that look just as bad and now my face is covered in them.(I've been on the regimen about 2 months). It sucks the bp does this but is also the only thing that has made big improvements on the acne i had.

#32 Johnny199r

Johnny199r

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've been on the regimen on and off for a decade. FOr the last 2 and 1/2 months whenever I get a pimple, it later leaves a red/dark spot that doesn't disappear. It's been close to 3 months and I have ten of them on my face! It annoys me as much as the acne now. I'll have to stop the BP. I think it's the only answer.

#33 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

If BP is causing you irritation it's true. If it isn't then it would make the pimple go away faster, thus making the red mark fade quicker than "normal".

Like any peeling agent, you must absolutely make sure you're wearing sunscreen. Sun damage can prolong redness!

#34 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#prolong