Photo

Benzoyl Peroxide prolongs red marks. True or False?

red mark hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 *MEaGAiN*

*MEaGAiN*

A little bit longer and i'll be fine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

Ok so I've heard some ppl say BP does prolong redmarks and some say it does not..have there been any experiments done or anything that anybody knows about. Or has anybody had any experiences that would support the claim as true or false. THANKS!!!
yay i get to change my sig to an accutane signature woopee haha

http://www.acne.org/...-A-t223558.html

there it is, my log...i'll try to keep u all entertained thorughout my journey :P

#2 *MEaGAiN*

*MEaGAiN*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

seriously no one...at least some of u guys have got to know eusa_boohoo.gif

there it is, my log...i'll try to keep u all entertained thorughout my journey :P

#3 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Your not going to find scientific proof but from all accounts I have seen I believe so.
Please, use Retin-A. It has nearly eliminated my acne and continues to lighten my red marks.

#4 Harvard

Harvard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:21 AM

Up most certain that BP will pro-long red marks. Overall I think BP causes the red marks in the first place, by drying out that pimple and not leaving it alone like you should.

#5 prettyboy909

prettyboy909

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:01 AM

Yeah I heard something like that that Bp prolongs redmarks but I cant say for certain that this is true
Face Wash:Dove Soap sensative skin unscented
Moisturizer:Dans Aha

#6 *MEaGAiN*

*MEaGAiN*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

thanks you! ok im gonna stop using bp for a little while or at least only a few days per week and try tea tree oil the other days...

#7 *MEaGAiN*

*MEaGAiN*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

thanks you! ok im gonna stop using bp for a little while or at least only a few days per week and try tea tree oil the other days...

#8 djh123

djh123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

/

Edited by djh123, 04 September 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#9 *MEaGAiN*

*MEaGAiN*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

idk my friend uses tea trea oil once a day and swears by it so i just figured it wouldnt hurt to try....

#10 pogiboi

pogiboi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

i think it does prolong them from my experiences

#11 Terah

Terah

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

I used proactive from nov 06-jan 08... it cleared up my face for a while- really well!! for about 4-5mo i didn't have any acne the majority of the time.. and if i did, it was a couple of small ones. Anyway.. i didn't have an scars either after about 7mos.. Proactiv has a total of 5% benzoyl peroxide, and my scars faded quickly, and completely!! Now, i'm using facedoctor, and it is helping alot, and my acne was a lott worse post-proactive than pre-proactive.. but the scars are not fading any more quickly than they did when i was using proactiv.. they seem to be fading more slowly sad.gif.. tea tree oil did not seem to help w.scarring even after a long time. But all that's just me smile.gif

#12 rickpaul

rickpaul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

yea i think they prolong red marks
i stopped using it for about 3 months n almost all of disappeared.
i use TT oil n it works effectively

#13 brokendoll

brokendoll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:52 PM

i actually am guna say NO on that.

My face is ACTUALLY clear- no active pimples- just minor red marks.
i had seriously bad red marks and tried all sorts of peels- and lemon juice (which worked great) and glycolic etc.

honestly- my red marks are fading fast and i use a shit ton of BP. the best thing is time. as long as the bp is stopping new ones from forming.. the old marks finally get to heal.

heres my routine and it workssssssss for me and my olive easily scarrd skin:

morning:
olay daily renewal wash - but i use the exfoliating wash pads to wash with (i dont use a wash cloth (germy and abraisive) and i dont just use my hands (toooooooooo gentle... no exfoliation- when i did this way according to dans method of being gentle- i just noticed dead skin building up)

- and i BLOWDRY my face with the COOL air (ive heard people sleeping w fans and just the circulating air helps their face a LOT- this is working huge for me i think.)

dans bp- let it dry- and follow with neutrogene visibly even moisturizer (i swearrrr by this stuff! moisturizes... even skin tone (i think this is helping huge w the red marks) and it doesnt cause mroe breakouts or shine (my skin is wicked oily)

i use EM makeup w the MUF HD primer underneath

at nite i wash off - maybe do a mask if im in the mood- and LOAD LOAD LOAD on bp.

lifes been good ever since.
thak god for dan
red marks are fading and i use all the bp i can load on. sooooo i do no agree that it prolongs it =)

#14 azndk01

azndk01

This is How I feel, just listen.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

Yea I think bp prolongs red marks, cuz I used to use this dan's Regimen twice a day for like 6 months, the acne cleared up but still got scars and red marks. So right now I'm doing this once a day. Some one told me on this forum after your skin is quite healed and barely no acne you can wash your face with just water. I have bought 3 shipments of Dan's products and i'm thinking it's showed improvements but still not satisfied.
Morning:
*Dans Regimen kit.

Night:
*Apply ZENMED MicroDermabrasion Complex and Then rinse off with water.
Wait like 10 min.
*Apply ZENMED Skin Eraser

#15 AcnePwns

AcnePwns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

From my experience BP does prolong red marks. It seems to make my red marks more of a darker blackish/brownish color when it would usually be redish/brownish. I think AHA would get rid of that problem though. BP seems to make dead skin stick onto your skin much longer.

#16 azndk01

azndk01

This is How I feel, just listen.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

What can you use to replace bp? I'm thinkin stop using this bp. I just read this bout to get some apple cider vinegar ,apply it on. And then drink lemon juice with water. But does this stop red marks ?

http://www.acne.org/...ment-t4885.html
Morning:
*Dans Regimen kit.

Night:
*Apply ZENMED MicroDermabrasion Complex and Then rinse off with water.
Wait like 10 min.
*Apply ZENMED Skin Eraser

#17 jesskite

jesskite

la belle dame sans merci

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (azndk01 @ Nov 11 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What can you use to replace bp? I'm thinkin stop using this bp. I just read this bout to get some apple cider vinegar ,apply it on. And then drink lemon juice with water. But does this stop red marks ?

http://www.acne.org/...ment-t4885.html

Well I use salicylic acid in place of BP; rather than killing bacteria SA works to slough off dead skin. For some people BP works better; for others, it's SA. You might want to give it a try, I see Dan's making SA now.

I still have stubborn red marks though...real annoying cause they look just as bad as zits depending on the lighting!! grrrrr
My regimen, morning & night
Paula's Choice One Step Cleanser
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner
Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (t-zone except chin)
Paula's Choice 2.5% BP (chin only)
Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion + a few drops of 100% organic jojoba oil

Status
99% clear :) Some red marks...
--------------------------------------

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams

#18 *MEaGAiN*

*MEaGAiN*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

so i know its been a lil while but im gonna update this...i think bp does prolong red marks at least in my case. i havent used it in over a month. i had an IB at first but it was only little under the skin pimples so i had those extracted. anyway heres what ive been using tha gets rid of pimples and redmarks in my experience anyway.
AT NIGHT:
wash with dans cleanser( i really like it)
tone with acv+green tea mixture 1/2 and 1/2
then mix 3 drops jojoba oil (full of vit E) to 1-2 drops pure tea trea oil (anti bacterial)
MORNING
wash with dan's cleanser
use grean tea matte moisture (from the body shop..i loooove it it kepps my face from getting oily.)
then put on makeup (has spf in it)

Oh yea and then i drink 2tbs of ACV mixed with a glass of water 2wice a day (this is a Godsend really u have to try it)
And once every 1-2 weeks do a lactic acid peel (only for like a couple of months)...suuuper mild but ive done it twice and it seems to be helping already? Its supposed to be done 6-8 times

so this regimine works great for me& may work for others...just stick to it

#19 sunshine2410

sunshine2410

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

it does for me!

it does for me!!

#20 Elsewhere

Elsewhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

If you have your acne under control, it might not be bad to include something to help with your red marks, since BP is a drying agent, it can reduce your skin's elasticity, which in turn can get in the way of your skin healing scars.

Personally, BP is the ONLY thing that keeps my active acne away, and so to prevent further breakouts that would lead to redmarks, I use the BP and an AHA as a moisturizer to help with the scarring.
"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."- Gkar, Objects in Motion

"I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos. The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves." - Carl Sagan