Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The power of thoughts/emotions - mind-body connection!!!!!!

27 posts in this topic

Hello, all. What an interesting conversation. I usually just frequent the scar boards, but this is also a great forum. I definitely believe in the mind body connection. Example, I am personally very unhappy with our (US) present political situation: I strongly disagree with just about everything the Bush administration does and everytime I see a news report, listen to National Public Radio, or read a newspaper, I just get so worked up (no offense to anyone, just my personal views for example's sake). I can feel it in my stomache. AND, I have been sick more in the past 2 years than in any other time during my life in addition to just feeling like I am in a funk (I'm generally a very upbeat person). Another quick example, a woman I spoke to about dermabrasion (who has had more than 1) told me that she was SO nervous and anxious about her first procedure and that, although she was pleased with the final outcome, it took her an unusually long time to heal. For her 2nd procedure however, even though it was quite a few years later (hence her skin should have healed more slowly), she was confident and at peace going into the procedure and afterwards, and she said that her healing time was less than 1/2 of what it had originally been...Interesting.

Also, on meditation and being better able to focus in a class than alone, I was taught that for some people meditation is better conducted in a solitary setting, and for others it is more of a communal activity (although everyone is silent with eyes closed, you can feed of of the collective energy of those around you). For me, for example, it's very difficult to find a center in the midst of others (a few classes I've taken), but much easier in the isolation of my home. I tend to be an introvert, so who knows. But i think, from what I've heard (and it makes sense to me), that you fall into one of the two categories and neither is superior to the other. Just a though. Thanks for a great, thought-inducing thread.

--leo

"Every act of civilization is at once an act of barbarism."

-Walter Benjamin

Also, on meditation and being better able to focus in a class than alone, I was taught that for some people meditation is better conducted in a solitary setting, and for others it is more of a  communal activity (although everyone is silent with eyes closed, you can feed of of the collective energy of those around you).  For me, for example, it's very difficult to find a center in the midst of others (a few classes I've taken), but much easier in the isolation of my home.  I tend to be an introvert, so who knows.  But i think, from what I've heard (and it makes sense to me), that you fall into one of the two categories and neither is superior to the other.  Just a though.  Thanks for a great, thought-inducing thread.

--leo

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.