Photo

The power of thoughts/emotions - mind-body connection!!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:20 AM

Hi all

I was just 'chatting' with jc about the mind-body connection and thought I'd share something with you all.

Are you aware that the thoughts we have whilst we are eating and drinking can affect the chemistry of the food and liquids we take in?

Check this link: http://www.mercola.c...ay/8/prayer.htm

It basically shows how water is transformed when we have different thoughts. Being grateful seems to make water beautiful and healthy (and our blood is made up of over 90% water ... and food has a high water content in general). I wonder if this is the premis for saying 'Grace' or some people making blessings over food.

I know my mum (a practising Bhuddist) always prayed over food that she gave as gifts to the Gods.. these foods would then be shared amongst us as kids and deemed to have better nutritive qualities.

From a scientific point of view, everything is energy .. in fact, break everything down and we are made of the same stuff as everything else in the universe. Sure our thoughts and emotions are part of that same invisible energy.

What d'ya all think?

#2 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:29 AM

I think that this is VERY interesting, and i think that there is a mind/body connection... that's all i have to add to the subject, just posting because i agree. Hopefully a lively discussion develops regarding this.

#3 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:33 AM

Thank you uncle buck. Actually, I could go on about this subject forever ... I have a lot more to add at some stage!

#4 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:37 AM

And when I use the word 'thoughts' .. that also relates to emotions too.

For example ... if you didn't have the thought "I'm a failure, no one loves me etc.." then you wouldn't FEEL sad. If you had positive thougths about yourself, you feel emotionally good and your body responds accordingly.

Have any of you wondered about acne? On a metaphysical level, acne is related to outbursts and supression of anger. That's why the liver flush is so big on acne related forums (the Liver in Traditional Chinese Medicine is the home of stored anger, frustration and resentment).

I know when I feel good, my skin looks much better.

More later biggrin.gif

#5 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

I got to go soon ...

This book: Skin Deep by Ted Grossbart is excellent!!! Not only does it go into detail about the mind-body connection related to skin problems (not just acne) but it also gives you ways to work through it.

It's available from amazon.com I believe

There's some good info on this link: http://www.grossbart.com/index.html

Are you aware that at a subconcious and deeply psychological level, some people are happy to keep their acne???? I know you're saying "ahhh, get lost, who wants acne???!!!" but wait........

Imagine if you suddenly had perfect skin, are there fears about what would be expected of you?

I mean, having acne and scars is a great excuse for not being successful, for not having a girlfriend/boyfriend/ for not having intimate relationships etc... Is there a possibility that acne is actually helping you NOT have to face your deeper insecurities?

For example, ask yourself ...if you were not consumed and obsessed with your skin ... and all was well in that area, what would you need to do with your life/spend time on? Are these things very difficult to face? How would you deal with them?

So, how does having a skin problem serve you? What can you avoid by having this problem?

(BTW, this whole theory works for people who are overweight too).

Oh.. I'm going on and maybe no one is going to bother reading...

Would love you to share your thoughts.

Have a great day all - I feel the need for white chocolate. biggrin.gif

#6 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:34 AM

This is probably all very new to most people, and I'm sure that there are many skeptics out there. The mind-soul-body connection is a very real thing. The power of belief and faith is stronger than most people can fathom.

There is an old Chinese greeting: "Hi! How's your liver?"

How many here that actually know (or care) about how the inside of our body is doing? Western society has geared us to focus on the outside. The superficial. (clothes, appearance, our outward attitudes)

In TCM, it is believed that our liver ultimately controls many of our emotions: "Since the soul is stored in the liver and the spirit is stored in the heart, these two organs work together in the process of creating disordered emotional states."

*Too much anger evil.gif injures the Liver
*Too much fear shock.gif injures the Kidneys
*Too much sadness cry.gif injures the Lungs
*Too much thinking/worrying :-k injures the Spleen
*Too much joy/excitement biggrin.gif/ injures the Heart
*Too much emotion idea.gif injures the Heart

In essence, if you're emotionally happy and emotionally stable, you, in turn, will be physiologically happy as well! biggrin.gif

After flushing your liver, one can expect to get very emotional. The liver stores a lot of emotions that get released in the flush, and the flush stirs up toxins and hormones that act on mood.

Before liver flush: neutral.gif

After liver flush: :X:)=;:o:?O:):lol:doubt.gif:roll:biggrin.gif/:oops::^o[-X[-(](*,):-##-o:(8-[:-s8)

#7 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:15 AM

After flushing your liver, one can expect to get very emotional.  The liver stores a lot of emotions that get released in the flush, and the flush stirs up toxins and hormones that act on mood.   

In fact jc, the first 2 weeks of taking Chinese Bitters (Liver detox) stired up all sort of anger and old resentments for me. WOW, it was quite overwhelming actually, I didn't realise I had held in so much stuff.

Oh, and of course doing the intestinal cleansing is really useful too - coz the intestines emotionally is about being able to let go of stuff that is no longer needed.

Went off the white chocolate idea.. and am now in the middle of making a very healthy brown rice, vegetable and seed risotto (using my coconut oil!) biggrin.gif

#8 PantoMan

PantoMan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:09 PM

There definatly is a mind body connection, the mind is a very powerful thing. For example, we learned in Anatomy and Physiology that if you are fixed on something having to do with your body, and you KNOW it is going to happen, and that NOTHING will stop you, then it will happen. This is interesting, but you have to be fixed toward whatever is happening almost insanely. THere have been cases where people with very far along cancer who had extreme faith they would be cured, there cancer went into recession. Also, anyone who lifts weights know that lifting is 10% physical, 90% mind. You have yo concentrate on what you are doing, know that you are going to get bigger. Thats why there are lifts like concentration curls, you stare at the muscle and watch it move and get bigger, it makes your brain function in releasing more chemicals that are anabolic to build muscle...

#9 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:50 AM

Exactly PantoMan! - 'where thought goes, energy flows'

Life is like a magnet and mirror ... I think if we spend more time focusing on positives, we attract more positives. Our lives/relationships/health is often a direct refection of what is going on in our thoughts and emotions.

#10 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:19 AM

Does anyone here practice meditation?

#11 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:34 AM

Does anyone here practice meditation?

I tried several times, just couldn't quieten my mind. I went to a few classes which taught meditation ... it was fantastic to have guided meditations and I found myself going very deep. Still, I don't find it easy to do this on my own. I find doing Tai Chi and Qigong a type of meditation though.

What about you jc?

#12 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:58 AM

This kind of stuff is very interesting to me. I posted this somewhere else: It's been shown that if you smile for 20 seconds straight, your body will start to think it's happy and you'll actually start to feel happy.

I once had a massage by students who were learning about natural healing. They were using a kind of meditation/massage technique. It was wild. In the middle of it, I started crying, and I had NO idea why. I was so embarrassed. I told my friend, who was also a student there and she said that most people cry during this type of massage because it's releasing toxins from your body which can be very emotional. I was glad that I wasn't a freak. It was the weirdest experience but very cleansing.

If only people could harness the power of their own minds, things would be very different. It's so powerful.

#13 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:08 AM

If only people could harness the power of their own minds, things would be very different.  It's so powerful.

But people can!! That 20 second smile is called the "Endorphin Effect". When we think about good stuff, happy memories etc.. endorphins are released into the body .... and endorphins are more powerful than morphine to control pain.

Anyone reading this ... just try this for a couple of minutes... close your eyes and just sit/lie down comfortably ... (if you need to, just mentally go to all the parts of your body and allow each part to relax) ... whilst relaxed, just bring to mind all the things that make you happy ... any memories you have, your loved ones, favourite foods, favourite places, nice things that people have said to you ....... get in touch with all those things at a sensory level etc.... and if you are having a really bad day .... just imagine the sun, the moon, the trees ... univeral images of beauty. Just allow all these images to saturate your body .... and you should have a very nice start to the day with allowing endorphins to be released!!! A great 5 minute break! (Positive day dreams are very nurturing).

Have a great day all! biggrin.gif

#14 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:12 AM

I agree Maya. Meditation takes a lot of deep concentration and patience. I find it extremely difficult to clear my mind of thoughts and distractions. Things keep popping into my head when I try to meditate. It is known to be very therapeutic (ex. lowers your blood pressure) when done correctly and a long period of time. I would suspect that many will dismiss it as a waste of time because they don't get to see immediate results like bodybuilding. Sadly enough, people find it more necessary to workout their physical, while completely neglecting the spiritual & emotional.

Tai-chi is a great form of meditative practice. Thing is, when I do it, I kind of focus on my next upcoming moves. And if I'm in a rush for time, I find myself wanting to get thru it quickly. (Yeah I know...that's bad!) :-$

I once had a massage by students who were learning about natural healing.  They were using a kind of meditation/massage technique.  It was wild.

Exactly what did they do? Sounds very interesting!

#15 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:25 AM

I forget exactly what they did. I'll have to ask my friend who is now a massage therapist. They told me to breath and relax while they applied pressure to pressure points at the same time. It was so cool.

I was sick a few weeks ago and my wonderful boyfriend wanted to take care of me. I told him that he needed to make me a mixture of "magic" pills that I could believe would make me feel better. I told him that if I believed in the magic pills enough, they would cure my cold. He thought that was kind of stupid, since I was admitting that I needed a placebo. When I got to his house, he had some pills for me. I was able to identify most of them (That's vitamin C, that's vitamin E, etc) but I wasn't able to identify ONE of them. He said that was the magic one. I got better in a few days. Would I have gotten better anyway? Most likely. Was it fun to try to harness the power of believing in magic pills? Yes. Does my boyfriend think I'm weird? Probably. Is he great for playing along? Yes. The point is, I wanted to BELIEVE it would work. I think a lot of pills are mostly placebo. The mind makes you better and drug companies make the money.

#16 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:57 AM

Ah yes...the power of persuasion makes the mind do wonderful things. user posted image

I believe that our overhyped mainstream culture is being lead around by the nose by the media, and sadly, nobody questions anything anymore. Like, if we hear about how orange juice makes us smarter, people immediately flock to stock up. I dunno, bad example. But you know what I mean. :lol:

Ok, maybe I'm just not thinking clearly right now. It's 3:30am... zzz... hey look...another study...zzz...researchers say honey contains varying concentrations of polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants...zzz....I'm gonna buy some tommorow...user posted image

#17 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:04 AM

3:30am, huh? I think "Eh?" is in my time zone!

*drinks orange juice*

I take every "study" with a grain of salt. The department of agriculture build a food pyramid with grain on the bottom. Interesting. If the meat council had created the food pyramid, I wonder what would have been at the bottom...

#18 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:23 PM

Yep! Eh? = in your time zone. O:)

Funny you should mention the food pyramid.

"Food Pyramid Slated for Makeover (CNN)": http://www.cnn.com/2...d.ap/index.html

#19 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:42 AM

Wow, jc, that is weird. That article illustrates EXACTLY what I was talking about. I could be a reporter! I'm going to forward that to several of my buddies.

And I'm going to go to reporter school.

#20 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:54 AM

And I'm going to go to reporter school.

Some might call it journalism! But you probably have gooder English than I do. :lol: