My Epiduo experience

195 replies to this topic

#41 natu26

natu26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

I've had mild to sometimes moderate acne for 10 years now and I've been using Epiduo for about a month now. It has made so much of a difference. I thought I had to buy the multitude of Murad products to keep a clear face but between using the Panoxl cleanser (as prescribed by dermatologist) and Epiduo, I am finally happy with clear skin. The Epiduo can be expensive without insurance--around $200-- but a little goes a long way and I only use it at night. I don't like applying it during the day, being out in the sun. And if you have sensitive skin, it may burn a bit in the beginning.
The Panoxl cleanser is only $7 and I suggest using a oil free moisturizer (and oil free sunscreen!!!) Hopefully, this helps. I realize Epiduo is new on the market but I believe it's worth every penny.

#42 Guest_Jon Failinger_*

Guest_Jon Failinger_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Hey, I my doctor just prescribed me epiduo and I just started it on Monday, and since Wednesday night, I have had really dry, red, irritated skin around my nose, under my eyes, and on my chin. I don't know if this is normal or not? Also, I work out in the sun alot, and have NOT been using sunscreen, could that be a factor?

#43 babu ^^

babu ^^

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Jon Failinger @ Jul 17 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, I my doctor just prescribed me epiduo and I just started it on Monday, and since Wednesday night, I have had really dry, red, irritated skin around my nose, under my eyes, and on my chin. I don't know if this is normal or not? Also, I work out in the sun alot, and have NOT been using sunscreen, could that be a factor?

yes oh my goodness PLEASE use sunscreen when you use any product prescribed for you skin by the derm. because if you have any marks they will become more permanent. you are more likely to burn of this medication as well

~ not trying to come off aggressive ive just seen what sun exposure on these products do to a person, i wanna keep you safe XD~

#44 Guest_Jon Failinger_*

Guest_Jon Failinger_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (babu ^^ @ Jul 17 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes oh my goodness PLEASE use sunscreen when you use any product prescribed for you skin by the derm. because if you have any marks they will become more permanent. you are more likely to burn of this medication as well

~ not trying to come off aggressive ive just seen what sun exposure on these products do to a person, i wanna keep you safe XD~

i completely understand. ya, cuz i am freaking out, its really red and dry all round my nose and chin and it wont go away, so i am just going to stop using it for now, until it goes away. what sunscreen do you recommend for sensitve skin? and any other tips about epiduo, i appreciate it.

#45 Dee-

Dee-

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a 16 year old girl with mild- moderate acne on my forehead and around my mouth area. My derm prescribed me Epiduo along with Keflex antibiotics and Yasmin birth control pill for my acne. I've been using them for just over a week now and I can honestly say that around my mouth has almost completely cleared up. (just two pimples atm tongue.gif)
For the first few days the epiduo gel was causing my skin to feel like it was sunburnt and it got really dry and sensitive, but I kept using it because I felt it was working and it doesn't burn anymore. However I was just wondering if anybody knows if it makes a difference if moisturizer is applied before or after the application of epiduo? I've been kind of switching around and stuff, and i don't know if that's good. =/

#46 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Are you just using it at night?

#47 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Dee- @ Jul 18 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone, I'm a 16 year old girl with mild- moderate acne on my forehead and around my mouth area. My derm prescribed me Epiduo along with Keflex antibiotics and Yasmin birth control pill for my acne. I've been using them for just over a week now and I can honestly say that around my mouth has almost completely cleared up. (just two pimples atm tongue.gif)
For the first few days the epiduo gel was causing my skin to feel like it was sunburnt and it got really dry and sensitive, but I kept using it because I felt it was working and it doesn't burn anymore. However I was just wondering if anybody knows if it makes a difference if moisturizer is applied before or after the application of epiduo? I've been kind of switching around and stuff, and i don't know if that's good. =/

If you're going to apply a moisturizer you have to after you apply the epiduo at least thats what my dermatologist told me. I don't think the Epiduo can set into your skin as well if the moisturizer is the base.

#48 babu ^^

babu ^^

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Jon Failinger @ Jul 17 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (babu ^^ @ Jul 17 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i completely understand. ya, cuz i am freaking out, its really red and dry all round my nose and chin and it wont go away, so i am just going to stop using it for now, until it goes away. what sunscreen do you recommend for sensitve skin? and any other tips about epiduo, i appreciate it.

hahaha i seem to have skin made of steal compared to the rest of you XD i would suggest using two things - aloe vera and sunscreen / moisturizer

1. aloe vera - johnson and johnson brand

2. neutrogena ultra sheer dry sunblock SPF 55

3. Cetafil sensitive skin moisturizer

my suggestion is to after cleansing put on some aloe vera, wait five min. or until ur face is totally dry and then epodou

- wait 15 mins - and then combine half/half sunscreen and moisturizer

good luck ;)

QUOTE (melmel87 @ Jul 18 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you just using it at night?

oooo iim sry i responded to the bottom one thinking it was this one XD same thing thou

GOOD LUCK :)

#49 jordan240

jordan240

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi all,

I've been using Epiduo for about 5 weeks now. It made all the bumps go away buy now its still all red. Anybody have any ideas for this?

#50 verdenaller

verdenaller

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

I've been using Epiduo for 3 days now (applied before going to bed), along with some Clindagel (Clindamycin 1%) during the day. I haven't really noticed any improvements yet. I have somewhat mild acne. I previously used BenzaClin, Tretinoin cream, and Minocycline but dropped the Minocycline about a year ago and a month ago stopped using the Tretinoin because I live in Hawaii and I'm always in the sun or at the beach so that doesn't really help. The BenzaClin was fine but it didn't clear me up completely and I have some bumps on my forehead and around my temples and cheeks which I'd like to go away. The derm said they're comedones even though they don't look like them... I don't know. I was on the BenzaClin for probably 4 years I think. I hope the Epiduo and Clindagel rape my acne. Pissin' me off. I did notice some mild burning on my upper cheeks and around my nose, and now when I wash my face with Cetaphil cleanser it is a little irritated and burns a little, which I thought wouldn't happen because I had gotten used to BenzaClin... But it's not a big deal. No redness or peeling (probably because of the humidity).

Oh and I was wondering, I'm leaving to Germany in a week and will be living there for a year, how can I get my acne meds refilled over there? Thanks.

#51 inlandsea

inlandsea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

I've been using epiduo for a week now and I can already see a great difference in my skin. I have moderate acne and it has now gone down to mild thanks to epiduo.

I apply a small amount of epiduo at night to the areas where I break out and then I wash it off when I wake up the next morning. I then apply aveeno ultra-calming daily moisturizer (which has SPF 15, so it's killing two birds with one stone). I'm then fairly protected from the sun and my skin is moisturized since epiduo can dry out your skin a bit. Then repeat the process once night falls again.

Oh - and it's important not to use any other acne treatment when using epiduo. Don't use any face wash or moisturizer that has anything like salicylic acid or other acne fighting things in them. Using other acne products with epiduo can cause a lot of irritation and possible make your skin worse.

I also make sure to use a gentle face wash when washing my face. I'm using cetaphil.

Anyway, it's working great thus far after only a week! Can't wait to see what my skin is like after a month!

#52 tomboiqld

tomboiqld

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

Hey there,

everyone has their own story right. mine basically started when I was in grade 8, started getting breakouts (mild, lot of ugly whiteheads and a few blind pimples)

I can assure you I've used every main brand (clearasil, ella bache, nivea, garnier, neutrogena, ASAP, etc) and nothing worked. Evening going for facials didn't do anything to help. After 6 years I get to using Epiduo (in combination with the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturising lotion) and its working really well. so far, ive had the described 'typical xp" where it imporved, had one bad breakout and now on the way up. Im in my third week (in the 12 week program) and things are getting a lot better. some pimples have dissapeared all together, blackheads are literally 'falling out' and the still existing pimples are drying up and shrinking. all in all, its working out to be a good programm. I'm really excited to see what my skin looks like after 12 weeks. Anyone have any advice how to speed up the healing of the little discolouration and marks left by old acne?

We all want that 'prefect complexion' and I'm on the road to mine smile.gif

Best wishes to all epiduo users!

#53 babu ^^

babu ^^

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (tomboiqld @ Aug 6 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there,

everyone has their own story right. mine basically started when I was in grade 8, started getting breakouts (mild, lot of ugly whiteheads and a few blind pimples)

I can assure you I've used every main brand (clearasil, ella bache, nivea, garnier, neutrogena, ASAP, etc) and nothing worked. Evening going for facials didn't do anything to help. After 6 years I get to using Epiduo (in combination with the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturising lotion) and its working really well. so far, ive had the described 'typical xp" where it imporved, had one bad breakout and now on the way up. Im in my third week (in the 12 week program) and things are getting a lot better. some pimples have dissapeared all together, blackheads are literally 'falling out' and the still existing pimples are drying up and shrinking. all in all, its working out to be a good programm. I'm really excited to see what my skin looks like after 12 weeks. Anyone have any advice how to speed up the healing of the little discolouration and marks left by old acne?

We all want that 'prefect complexion' and I'm on the road to mine :)

Best wishes to all epiduo users!

yayyyaaa im so happy that epidou worked for another :) when it comes to the red marks time and microderm are really the only two options with derm gave me . im going to be trying a new serum that is suposed to help the red marks ill be trying soon this week ; after 7 days illl tell you guys how it worked fo me and where u can get it ;) i love you positive attitude :)

#54 madinalake56

madinalake56

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hey guys,

I just started using Epiduo about 1 1/2 weeks ago and when I first started using it, everything was fine. I had no burning, redness, etc. However, now the gel is beginning to make my face burn and stuff like that. I mean yes I know that burning and redness are side effects but I am kind of curious as to why it is happening now when it didn't show up when I first started using it. Also, Epiduo is doing nothing when it comes to fighting my acne (I have moderate acne with most of my breakouts on my chin and forehead). So I was just wondering if anyone had something like this happen to them where the side effects show up after using the product for some time and also having the product not do anything for reducing the acne. I will probably continue to use Epiduo just to see if it ends up working, but as of right now, I am not very happy with it.

Thanks!

Emily

#55 tomboiqld

tomboiqld

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (madinalake56 @ Aug 8 2009, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys,

I just started using Epiduo about 1 1/2 weeks ago and when I first started using it, everything was fine. I had no burning, redness, etc. However, now the gel is beginning to make my face burn and stuff like that. I mean yes I know that burning and redness are side effects but I am kind of curious as to why it is happening now when it didn't show up when I first started using it. Also, Epiduo is doing nothing when it comes to fighting my acne (I have moderate acne with most of my breakouts on my chin and forehead). So I was just wondering if anyone had something like this happen to them where the side effects show up after using the product for some time and also having the product not do anything for reducing the acne. I will probably continue to use Epiduo just to see if it ends up working, but as of right now, I am not very happy with it.

Thanks!

Emily

hey emily,

I can understand that this is a very frustrating time in the process, especially when so many of us have tried countless products- many of which offer speedy results, which I think fosters the unhealthy mentality that acne can be cured in a matter of weeks. Anyways haha, I really advise you to keep using the product and don't be disheartened if you experience a breakout or two- normal reaction. Your skin may have had a certain 'tolerance' to the peroxide in the product, but as your skin is becoming dryer and new skin is forming at an increased rate underneath the upper layers, it may be possible that the gel is permeating to this fresh skin which is a lot more sensitive. I would advise using an oil free mouisturiser that has a nice thick texture (such as Cetaphil Moisturing lotion which does a good job and dosen't block pores or give a sheen that we all hate!) and also avoid high exposure to sun, as you may expereince increased photosensitivity and may burn more easily. I know this happened to me once or twice. I've blabbered on long enough, hope this helps you. Don't lose heart, my skin is looking good now and I'm only in my 4th week! 8 more to go.
Good luck everyone!!
Tom

#56 verdenaller

verdenaller

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

Just writing an update here. It's been almost 3 weeks now and I've noticed a very nice improvement. I have no new pimples and All of my previous pimples have dried and now there are just some little dried up red spots. I noticed that the improvement sort of fanned out across my face, where closest to my nose is completely clear and it gets progressively less clear as you move toward my cheekbones and temples. But in general, I don't have any pimples and it's looking great. I just need the red spots to start fading away and I'll be set.

#57 babu ^^

babu ^^

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (madinalake56 @ Aug 7 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Emily

hmm my only side affect is that some pimples take FOREVER and when i mean forever im telling you FOREVER to go away (this was after i started epidou) but u said u are just beginning to get pimples now , i would go to derm after 4 weeks and if you keep getting acne ask him to pair this with a bp it really works wonders

#58 chichi94

chichi94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

I recently started using Epiduo gel, I am also on Levlen birth control pill. When i was at the doctor she said that it contained an antibiotic, but i didnt anything of it. But now i have learnt that taking antibiotics stops the effectiveness of the pill.
Please, does anyone know if it is safe to use Epiduo gel whilst on the pill? Will the birth control pill still be effective?

worried confused.gif

#59 Montystil

Montystil

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (gresilda @ Apr 9 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want to say that I have had a terrible, I repeat terrible experience with Epiduo. I am 22 and I have mild acne. After just three days I experienced intense burning and itching while applying it. I thought that was normal so I just kept using it. On the fourth day I woke up to swelling, really bad red blotches on my cheeks and chin, peeling and scaling, and an intense burning all over my face. I had a sunburn on my forehead. It was a nightmare. I am switching back to differin since that never gave me any of these reactions. Something to keep in mind for those who are considering trying this medicine!!

Epiduo is a strong product but I have been struggling with acne every single day since 8th grade(now going into senior year for high school) and it seems to be the trick for me. I had burning with it at first also but then my mom told me about Cetaphil face moisturizer and enough of that took away the burning for me. Before I started on cetaphil my face was extremely dry and flaky every day. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

#60 jesscxx

jesscxx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

read a couple of these posts..

Hey there guys! I'm 16 and I've been dealing with acne for a few years now. It was pretty bad at one point, which was about 2-3 years ago. I've used lots of topical products..some of them being tazorac, atralin, and differin. I've been on birth control pills, but had to come off of them because they gave me high blood pressure. I also used prescription pills such as doxycyline and doryx. I was taking doxycyline twice a day, but then my derm switched me to doryx once a day because she wants to take me off antibiotics all together. (I've been on them for almost 2 years) So, currently i'm using a mixture of salex, epiduo, and a seb-prev cream during the day...then at night i use a mixture of atralin and salex. I just started epiduo about 2 weeks ago and i've been breaking out a lot lately. I'm not sure if its due to a cleanser i've been using or if just a mixture of the two? I also have body acne on my chest and back and was wondering if anyone has/had the same problem?..and if so what have you done to control it?

thanks smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users