Photo

What am I supposed to eat~!~!~!???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 zero

zero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:32 PM

Everything it seems causes acne....one persons diet ways something is good for acne and abother says it really wrecks your skin....so what am I supposed to stay away from????

Also...is it ok if I eat pizza like 1-2 times a month...or is this a really bad idea?????

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:49 AM

Everything it seems causes acne....one persons diet ways something is good for acne and abother says it really wrecks your skin....so what am I supposed to stay away from????

Also...is it ok if I eat pizza like 1-2 times a month...or is this a really bad idea?????

Essentially, you should be doing litmus tests on your own body to see what you can and cannot handle. For example, some people claim to breakout with dairy, some don't. Some with refined sugars, some don't. The most important thing is to eat fresh & healthy and NON-processed food. The more processed the food, the more additives it will contain that can aggravate whatever conditions you have in your body.

yes! Eat what you like and don't have any guilt about it. You'll just be stressing yourself out even further. Just eat your 'happy' foods in moderation k? That way, you won't need to go cold-turkey which will only increase your cravings.

#3 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:54 AM

jc - One thing I read recently really made enormous sense .... it was an article in a naturopathic magazine...

It said ... "It is healthier for you to eat pizza, if you chew each mouthful 40 times, than to wolf down a green salad without proper chewing"

I gave it a lot of thought and I think it's definately true. People often think food is broken down in the stomach, in fact, food starts its digestive process in the mouth. I think the chewing is about creating the right mind-body signals ... and chewing also makes us salivate to make sufficient natural digestive enzymes that help us break down the foods.

Also, another thing I have noticed ... people should never eat when they are angry ... this makes the body very tense and proper digestion becomes difficult (this is the case with IBS). It's better to eat when we are calm, and not distracted by other things.

Oops... sorry, I've gone on a bit too much ... thought you - jc - would be interested though!

zero - what I am saying is yes, eat the foods you want now and again, but make sure your body can process it properly by chewing well and eaiting when you are calm. K? biggrin.gif

(I have noticed that I can eat about anything when I do this - I do try to eat healthily, but I love junk too.)

#4 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:56 AM

[quote="jc"][quote]yes! Eat what you like and don't have any guilt about it. You'll just be stressing yourself out even further. Just eat your 'happy' foods in moderation k? That way, you won't need to go cold-turkey which will only increase your cravings.[/quote]

Ahh yes, guilt tends to make us eat very quickly .... if you must have something on the 'naughty but nice' list - love it, enjoy it and chew it!! (Does it sound like this chewing business has become a mission? LOL!)

#5 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Maya,

I've read that too! Plus, since my mom has studied buddhism, she keeps telling me to be MINDFUL. That's especially true when you eat. For example...a bunch of guys crowded around the tv set watching the superbowl eating 3 large pizzas. They simply wolf down their food without paying any attention right? They have NO idea what they're eating cause they're cheering on the game. lol

You're definitely right about the mind-body connection. What people don't realize is that when we think about what we eat, and eat it slowly, we appreciate and enjoy the food so much more.

40 times is DEFINITELY a chore! but I'm gonna try chewing more for sure :lol:

#6 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:08 AM

Hey jc! My mum has been a practising Buddhist all her life ....

It's true, you have to take pretty enormous mouthfuls to get 40 chews... but attempting to get all your chews in really helps.

I have studied the mind body connection in depth ... and I can say that everything that happens physically has mental and emotional connections to it. I am very interested in energy medicine too. I'll see if i can find a link and post it on a new thread for you (sorry to hijack this thread zero).

#7 purepersian786

purepersian786

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:46 AM

what does processed food mean?

whats processed?

#8 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:48 AM

processed is the opposite of fresh. So anything from a can, has lots of preservitives/chemicals etc.. in it is processed.

#9 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:08 AM

I'll see if i can find a link and post it on a new thread for you (sorry to hijack this thread zero).

So 'hijacking' is the term eh? lol

#10 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:11 PM

pay attention to how you feel when you eat certain foods too. If you get overly tired after eating something, or feel bloated, or unwell, you should probably stop eating it. Oftentimes this test in itself will rid your diet of starchy foods and dairy. also pay attention to what foods make you feel better than normal.

I'm all for eating slowly and relishing the food. For one thing, now when I eat something that I know is unhealthy, I only eat something that's actually worth eating (no wolfing down cheap hard-as-rock cookies merely 'cuz they're there) - it's much more enjoyable to sit down and slowly enjoy a creme brulee (which by the way is way better for me than cookies - my body really, really does not like flour-based foods).