Photo

pantothenic acid vs. pantethine?

pantothenic pantothenic acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
193 replies to this topic

#1 2ShyGuy

2ShyGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:01 PM

i personally think it is crazy to take 10 grams of something to try and rid acne. I don't think its crazy to try and rid acne (cause i would do anything to get rid of it), but taking such high doses doesn't seem very smart.

After reading about pantethine (the active form of B-5), i'm wondering why people aren't trying it instead of b5? From what ive read, you get a better effect with a lot less to no side effects. Because you only have to take around 900 mg or so of pantethine, there will be no adverse side effects.

Has anyone tried pantethine that had no success with b5? or if you never used b5 but are having success with pantethine please share. I'm just curious as to why people are using this supplement that seems like a much healthier avenue than b5

2SG

#2 hopfensp

hopfensp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:36 PM

I can't agree with you more, I am currently taking pantethine instead of B5 only at 300mg. 300mg for me is equivalent to about 6grams of B5.
I just don't see the sense in taking so many pills at such a high strength when I get better results using pantethine at a lower dosage. I can't say enough about how this product has worked for me. Although it appears that after searching this board, hardly anybody uses it.

#3 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:53 PM

[quote] I am currently taking pantethine instead of B5 only at 300mg.[/quote]

wow! how long have you been taking it? do share your experience with it, your history, and your progress (please smile.gif ). its so hard to convince people to try something new that even if one person like you has something good to say because you've tried it then it might help a whole bunch of other people. thanks a bunch![/quote]

#4 dude123

dude123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:59 AM

I can't agree with you more, I am currently taking pantethine instead of B5 only at 300mg.  300mg for me is equivalent to about 6grams of B5.
I just don't see the sense in taking so many pills at such a high strength when I get better results using pantethine at a lower dosage.  I can't say enough about how this product has worked for me.  Although it appears that after searching this board, hardly anybody uses it.

I too googled it, and found that at most you should take 900 mg (or 2 450 mg pills).......

http://www.vitacost....Text=pantethine

this is where I found it for the cheapest...$28.00 gets you a full month's supply...I've been using pantothenic acid, but I haven't achieved the results I'd like, so I'm gonna try this.....man, only 2 pills a day, damn that'd be nice...I hope it works

#5 2ShyGuy

2ShyGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:30 AM

I think gamer found a better deal. For $10.49 a bottle, you can get 3 bottles at around $32 which is a full 2 months supply. I was gonna order them tonight (4:15 am), but they wouldnt ship out until monday anyway, so im gonna wait just to make sure.

http://www.swansonvi...Word=pantethine

2SG

#6 hopfensp

hopfensp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:08 PM

I have been using pantethine for about 2 years now. I started taking B5 in january of 2001 and quit later in 2002. I always found that B5 for me wasn't as effective as taking pantethine, although I didn't have any side effects, like hair loss that some have. my skin is definitely alot drier now. When I started taking pantethine, I started at 600 mg and included 2G of B5, but I gradually over the course of a year cut down to 300mg per day and stopped B5, and I also take 50mg of zinc and a multivitamin too, but I was also doing that when I taking B5. I tried it once for a week at 900mg, and my skin was way too dry, so I had to cut down. I have used couple different brands and had success with all of them. The cheapest that I can find is using a brand call NOW; it's only about $11-12 for 60 softgels. I was using Jarrow, but they were too expensive, $18-$19.

If you want to try it, try and include a 450mg or 300mg pill and gradually diminish your B5 dosage over time. Play around with dosage and see what works best for you, that's what I did. This is so much better than trying to swallow 6-7 1G giant B5 pills.

#7 tibman

tibman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

I have used couple different brands and had success with all of them.  The cheapest that I can find is using a brand call NOW; it's only about $11-12 for 60 softgels.  I was using Jarrow, but they were too expensive, $18-$19.

Where did you order them from?

#8 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:50 PM

hopfensp:

that site suggested taking B5 with panthetine as well but maybe that's just recommended for people with high cholesterol. you might want to take a B-complex like once a week because the B vitamins deplete each other if you take a lot of some and not the others.

did you have an initial breakout? what else do you use in your regimen (topicals/food...etc)

#9 dude123

dude123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:58 PM

I have used couple different brands and had success with all of them.  The cheapest that I can find is using a brand call NOW; it's only about $11-12 for 60 softgels.  I was using Jarrow, but they were too expensive, $18-$19.

Where did you order them from?

the swansons link above has 60 softgels, and is only $10.49

I bought a bottle of pantethine today from Vitamin World, so I'm hoping that I see a difference within the next few days before my online order comes...we'll see, and I'll post my results for anyone that may be on the fence about trying it

#10 2ShyGuy

2ShyGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 07:13 PM

dude123:

How many bottles did you order? I want to order 3 from swansons, but im really really low on cash so i might just order 2 and see how that goes. I think because this is much more effective than pan. acid, that it shouldnt take as long, and therefore less pills.

2SG

#11 dude123

dude123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 07:36 PM

dude123:

How many bottles did you order? I want to order 3 from swansons, but im really really low on cash so i might just order 2 and see how that goes.  I think because this is much more effective than pan. acid, that it shouldnt take as long, and therefore less pills. 

2SG

well, me, being a dumbass 22 year old, bought the 2 pantethine bottles from vitacost, before I saw your post about swansons....but I figure since that there are 60 softgels in the Vitacost bottle at 450mg a piece..you'll only have to take 2 per day. So, one bottle takes you through a month....on the other hand, you spend a few dollars more for the Swansons brand (because you have to buy 3 bottles because each pill is only 300mg as opposed to 450mg)....if you take 3 per day of the swansons at 300mg, you'll use a bottle in 20 days, or 3 bottles in 60 days(which is exactly how long 2 bottles of the Vitacost would last you)...so I mean, its really up to you, but it looks like the Vitacost ones are actually cheaper because you only have to buy 2 bottles

#12 dude123

dude123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 07:38 PM

hopefully, I see some results in the next few days from the pantethine...I was so anxious to start it, that I just went to the mall a few hours ago to buy a bottle of the Vitamin World pantethine, even though that one bottle was $17.00....but at least this will hold me over till I get my online order in the mail...

whats got me excited about the whole pantethine thing is the fact that it is the intermediate step in Coenzyme A production.....because the cycle goes pantothenic acid===>pantethine====>coenzyme A

this way, I dont have to worry if my body is correctly breaking down the pantothenic acid, because all its gotta do now is turn the pantethine into CoA....

here's a good article on pantethine that I found that explains all the benefits, and exactly how it travels through your system....

http://www.pdrhealth.../pan_0195.shtml

#13 2ShyGuy

2ShyGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

Well, that is the cheapest that I have seen those Atkin's vitamins. I dunno, the way i figure it is, If you start out with 900 mg, then that is 3 pills a day. But if you wanted to cut back, or even if that was too much, you only have to take two, which equals close to 2 months with 2 bottles instead of 3 bottles (of the swansons).

If you wanted to cut back with the 450 mg pills, you would have to take only 1 pill, which might not be enough.

Anyway, I think im gonna get 2 bottles of swansons, and start with 3 pills the first 3-4 days, then cut back to 2 to make it last.

2SG

#14 dude123

dude123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

Well, that is the cheapest that I have seen those Atkin's vitamins.  I dunno, the way i figure it is, If you start out with 900 mg, then that is 3 pills a day.  But if you wanted to cut back, or even if that was too much, you only have to take two, which equals close to 2 months with 2 bottles instead of 3 bottles (of the swansons). 

If you wanted to cut back with the 450 mg pills, you would have to take only 1 pill, which might not be enough.

Anyway, I think im gonna get 2 bottles of swansons, and start with 3 pills the first 3-4 days, then cut back to 2 to make it last.

2SG

yeah, thats a good point....maybe I will cancel my order after all, and get the 3 bottles of Swansons

#15 hopfensp

hopfensp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:28 AM

hopfensp:

that site suggested taking B5 with panthetine as well but maybe that's just recommended for people with high cholesterol.  you might want to take a B-complex like once a week because the B vitamins deplete each other if you take a lot of some and not the others.

did you have an initial breakout?  what else do you use in your regimen (topicals/food...etc)

malia, I remember having an intial breakout that lasted for about 2-3 weeks when I started first taking B5, but when I switched, the only effect I noticed was less oil. But my skin was not very oily to begin with; which is probably why only 300mg is sufficient for me. When I first started taking B5, I was using differin, but I quit that and for the past three years, I just use wash once or twice a day and apply a moisturizer. I don't use any topicals or limit my diet anymore. Part of my problem I noticed since I was high school, I was using topicals and they only irritated my skin. leaving my skin alone and using B5/pantethine really helped me out.

#16 dude123

dude123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

2ShyGuy

when your pantethine comes, are you gonna continue to take your B-5, or are you just gonna use the pantethine?

#17 2ShyGuy

2ShyGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:23 PM

Umm, im not taking b-5. I tried it about a year ago, but it didnt work too well. It was really expensive so i quit after a few weeks.

2SG

#18 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:26 AM

hopfensp:

hmm so no initial breakout when switching to panthetine? that could have been because you were used to B5 already but maybe also due to a lower dosage. i will try pathetine. does anyone know approximately how long standard shipping is and if it's worth it to upgrade to UPS Ground or Express Service?

#19 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:29 AM

arrrgh...i am blind. right under "shipping method" it says "see shipping info" in tiny print. express is up to 5 days, ground is up to 7 days. but it doesn't specify for standard.

#20 2ShyGuy

2ShyGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:32 AM

where are you ordering from malia?