dairy

6 replies to this topic

#1 SteveLewis

SteveLewis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

As I look in my fridge I realize that a lot of items in there contain milk in some way or another. Cheese, spreads, butter, milk, etc. Now I want to know what kind of food I should replace these with? I heard that bran helps as a breakfast food(I always have cereal) but what are some good brands of breakfast foods I can look for in the store? Also, what other food do you recommend I abandon with dairy?

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:54 PM

You don't have to "abandon" per se...just eat in moderation. As a youngster (I'm an oldster now), I used to drink 2-3 cup of 2% milk per day. Mmm...good enough for a any baby calf. (blech)

Look for soy based products now. Calcium fortified, if that's what you're looking for. There are many replacements for dairy these days.

Also, throw in some flax seed into your morning cereal mix. Good fiber and source of omega EFAs.
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#3 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:31 PM

Nobody really knows if eating soy milk is more healthy than milk from cows. Plus adding supplements like vit-c and vit-d may make the soy milk even more processed and contain more additives. I would personally recommend trying each for 2/3 weeks or so, see what happens. Remember to factor in other things as well (sugar, candy, etc). You can also try to find a hormone-free milk (available at "natural" grocery markets and Trader Joes). This milk is free of hormones such as rBST.

#4 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:51 PM

Soy based products, imo, are much healthier for you:
"Soybeans are the only plant food that has all of the essential amino acids our body requires, making it a complete protein. Soy foods do not have any cholesterol, and most are high in fiber. Soy also has many vitamins, minerals, and phytochemical compounds (like isoflavones) that work together to create numerous health benefits. "

True enough that you want to avoid as many additives as you can. You can get plenty of calcium from other sources such as: broccoli, almonds, onions, and oranges. Another type of milk you might want to try, especially for protein, is almond milk. I have yet to try it myself, but I hear it's good.

I'm planning to get a soymilk maker soon myself so I can juice it myself. Dang organic is expensive!

#5 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:49 AM

the main problem with soya!!!

Are you all aware it's the most genetically modified food out there? Sad, but true.

So, always buy ORGANIC.

I tend to find goats milk much better than cows milk. It is closer to mothers milk.
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#6 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:57 AM

So, always buy ORGANIC.

I was just making the argument that soy is better than dairy.
I'd love to always buy organic. But do I look like like an aristocrat?? user posted image wink.gif

#7 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

(1) aged cheeses should present less of a problem (ie parmesan is better than soft cheeses).
(2) Try lactaid or similar and see if your skin/health improves.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users