Photo

Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lillies

Lillies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:12 AM

After a week of research I started using this method a day ago and I would be very interested to know if anyone else has tried this with success.

My questions are:
  1. did you experience initial purging after starting?
  2. how long did that go for?
  3. would you say the method is effective?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For those who are not familiar with this method, here is a summary:
  • Mix 25% Castor oil (cleansing properties) + 75% Extra Virgin Olive Oil (anti-oxidant)
  • Rub gently all over your dry face
  • Steam face for 5-10 minutes
  • Wipe the oil with a steamed hot cloth
  • Moisturise (optional)
More info:
http://www.smartskin...n_20060416.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#2 ~*NiCoLe*~

~*NiCoLe*~

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

I have been doing the OCM for about 6 weeks now. I mix 80% olive and 20% castor oil to wash and Unrefined Coconut oil as a moisturizer. My skin was alright to begin with, I have a ton of blackheads in my nose but actual pimples aren't too bad. From eyes down, my face went through a 4 week purging period and my pores look a lot smaller, although the blackheads are still there. As for my forehead, it still congested. Full of little bumps and such. I also exfoliate twice per week with either the baby brush method, brown sugar/ oil combo, or honey/ aspirin mask. I also have the skinvac clothes but I find the pore gripper does nothing for me even when I steam.

Overall I am enjoying OCM. I am glad to be chemical free (I am also no-poo ) and I believe that I am making my skin happier.

#3 hybridized

hybridized

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:37 AM

^^hey hello, thats what i would like to know from current OCM users, does it really work in long term use? Im against all chemical acids. I dont have any acne, just louds of clogged pores in usual oily areas . I have clenaser which is actually really similar to OCM cleansing method, its from Eve Lom company, it contains many different oils and they give you muslim cloth. Its bit expensive so thats why i would like to try OCM. As for moisturizer i tried using Jojoba but my blackheads just got worse. So i researched and fond Silkia Camelia Oil which i find better.
I need to start strict regular cheap cleaning regime and OCM sounds great. Just concerns are that it will open my pores but it wont go down and clean them because mine are deep, then i try and if i extract them from nose white or permament stuff comes out and its not little bit its acutally a lot like from one tiny pore. Thing is that then i extract them i usually damage my skin and after few days my whole nose starts pealing so i have to skip cleansing and pores gets clogged again. Help me confused.gif

#4 Lillies

Lillies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (hybridized @ Oct 7 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^hey hello, thats what i would like to know from current OCM users, does it really work in long term use? Im against all chemical acids. I dont have any acne, just louds of clogged pores in usual oily areas . I have clenaser which is actually really similar to OCM cleansing method, its from Eve Lom company, it contains many different oils and they give you muslim cloth. Its bit expensive so thats why i would like to try OCM. As for moisturizer i tried using Jojoba but my blackheads just got worse. So i researched and fond Silkia Camelia Oil which i find better.
I need to start strict regular cheap cleaning regime and OCM sounds great. Just concerns are that it will open my pores but it wont go down and clean them because mine are deep, then i try and if i extract them from nose white or permament stuff comes out and its not little bit its acutally a lot like from one tiny pore. Thing is that then i extract them i usually damage my skin and after few days my whole nose starts pealing so i have to skip cleansing and pores gets clogged again. Help me confused.gif

I can easily vouch for the strength of Castor Oil as a cleanser. It is amazing how it cleans the pores. I also think a lot of people misunderstand this oil. This oil does not open the pores and leaves them dirty. The reason pores become open is because they are cleaned.

#5 mgkballet

mgkballet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

I find this intriguing . . . the best cleanser I ever used for my acne and clogged pores was the SJG from Lush, which had a cocoa butter base. saywhat.gif

#6 Lillies

Lillies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

I have changed to 100% pure certified organic oils and I must say there is a HUGE difference in performance of the oil. I can not recommend any stronger that people should try to find the right quality oil.

My skin is still purging but I haven't scarred as badly as I thought from the initial breakout when I started using this method 10 days ago.

I am persisting with this method for couple of more weeks before rendering the verdict but so far the signs have been very positive.

#7 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

I did OCM for about two months back in the summer. I didn't have an initial breakout - I started clearing up very quickly and my skin felt the best it's ever felt! After the 8 week mark, though, I started breaking out badly and had to stop. I still use natural skincare products whenever possible (Garden of Wisdom is awesome!) but OCM on its own wasn't enough for me long term.

#8 LadyWillow

LadyWillow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

i do this once in awhile because doing it every night made my skin worse but doing it once in a while with 50:50 castor: jojoba helps me

#9 jbrown

jbrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

First of all, I must say, I never thought i'd speak about putting oil on my face in a positive way. I've been applying olive oil every night for a while now and i can't believe how effective it has been. I don't follow the OCM regimen, i just apply after cleansing as if it were a moisturizer. The most effective regimen I've ever followed. So far so good.

#10 ~*NiCoLe*~

~*NiCoLe*~

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (hybridized @ Oct 7 2008, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I don't think I have been using the OCM to be answer your question. Remember though, everyone is different. So if it does work great for me for the rest of my life, doesn't mean you will be able to use it. As for extracting, do you have an extracting tool? Sephora has some, if you don't. I wouldn't quit the OCM just because your nose starts pealing. Oil brings stuff to the surface so that you can wipte them away... dead skin included. Your dry skin will loosen up while the olive oil moisturizes. I haven't tried any natural store bought cleansers so I can't help you there. Good luck! Let me know if you have anymore questions. I can direct you to another forum that talks a lot about OCM, but I don't know if I am allowed to post it here.

#11 LadyWillow

LadyWillow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

for the ocm what is the difference between olive oil and jojoba oil

#12 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

I tried OCM, and it did not work for me at all. I only used it a few times, however.
I know I should continue using it, but it was almost drying out my face too much. The next morning I would always wake up with tons of clogged whiteheads (gross i know). I made sure i completely removed all traces of oil, so it's not that I didn't cleanse thouroughly.

Also, I'm very impatient, and this just seemed like too much work, especially when you only have one bathroom in your house shared by multiple people waiting on you haha.

Eh...Now i'm using Pond's Deep cleanser & Makeup remover. It's a cream, which I like and it seems to be working pretty well.

#13 seasidegirl

seasidegirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Edited by seasidegirl, 14 June 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#14 seasidegirl

seasidegirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Edited by seasidegirl, 14 June 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#15 JessieLeigh

JessieLeigh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I've had blackheads my entire life. I have combination skin, so I have excess oil and large pores on my cheeks, chin and nose, and depending on the weather those areas are either EXTREMELY dry and flaking or excess oil.

I have/had very noticeable blackheads on my nose, cheeks and chin, they were very deep, and I have very active pores which are clogged the next day after doing a full extraction the night before! It was getting to the point of it being ridiculous because I started having really bumpy skin no matter how much I exfoliated, every pore was just clogged and full of blackheads no matter what treatment I used.

I've used everything under the sun in drug stores for blackheads, nothing ever worked, (Biore, Neutrogena, Aveeno, Clean and Clear, etc) and I have tried prescription acne medication but it made my skin flake, and get so red that I don't even bother with that anymore.

I recently came across a cleansing method called the Oil Cleanse Method... I saw a few posts about it on this site, but the ones I saw were dated 2008 so I obviously didn't want to post on a non-active thread.

I saw loads of good reviews and I'm on my 2nd week of OCM. I use a mixture of jojoba and castor oil and I rub my face for a good 5-10 minutes every night and then put a hot wash cloth on my face to open the pores about 3x.

I really didn't see results immediately, it took a good week for me to start getting results that some people talked about. Only about two days ago have I noticed plugs w/ blackheads in them basically jumping out of my face. (literally). When I rub my face with the oil, for the past 2 days, I've felt a "gritty" feeling, I looked at my hands and I saw a number of plugs that had just come out and a black tip in them. (the blackhead).

After I do the hot wash cloth i examine my face. All of the blackheads rise to the surface and are so easy to extract with basically any effort.

After two weeks using OCM the blackheads on my nose? Virtually gone. I'd have to say I see an 85% reduction of how noticeable they were. The blackheads that were all over my cheeks? Entirely gone, and the pore size has diminished so much.

The chin area is a little tougher as I've had these blackheads every since I can remember and they are very deep, but the blackheads in the crease of my chin are not as dark and I feel in time they will eventually come out like the ones in my nose and cheeks.

I love how this method works better than any medication I've ever used, it's all natural, does not irritate and it's cheap.

I also have to note that it's something you need to continue doing. You can't just do it once, and think it doesn't work. The oil needs time to reverse the process of what your pores are naturally doing. (As per what the last poster said about it drying the skin out--- you need to adjust the amount of oil you're using. If it's too dry, cut back on the amount of castor oil you're using. I haven't had one issue in regards to dry skin with this, nor has it clogged my pores at all. Some people use EVOO which is very rich and can clog pores so other oils are definitely better.. such as the jojoba.)

#16 spoofy2

spoofy2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Would it be okay to substitute olive oil with emu oil? I'm scared olive oil might clog my skin. Supposedly emu oil is noncomedogenic.

#17 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

i used OCM for one month, it made my skin heal faster but eventually resulted in more clogged pores. It took ages to have that effect but eventually I had to admit defeat and go back to washing with PURE soap. My skin improved quickly but I have to say the condition of my skin all over improved with the oil cleansing method. It felt ... stronger... shame about all the clogged pores sad.gif

#18 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

Awful. Totally broke me out. AND I don't even break out anymore. After I stopped, breakouts stopped. I tried all oils mixed w/castor and they all broke me out -- even though they are "non-comedogenic." rolleyes.gif

#19 trig

trig

section

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

this has somehow worked wonders for my skin. i use about 40% castor oil and 60% jojoba oil. i just put it on in the shower and then hold a warm wash cloth over my face a few times until the oil is removed.

my friend has tried it with olive oil and says it broke her out. the biggest difference i have noticed are my blackheads. it has helped EXTREMELY well with this. i also am using retin-a so the OCM keeps my skin from drying out. i have used jojoba oil on its own before to treat my skin but nothing has helped like the castor oil.

#20 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

how often do most people do the OCM? I tried it twice and i initially like it..After two days my face plugged up from so many clogged pores I didnt know what to do...Do I keep going or switch back...I switched back and so far my clogged pores are still an issue. They are everywhere in my chin. Can this be done once a week as a maintenance or do you have to go full steam ahead and do every night for a while?