Photo

Soaking your food in bleach--an alternative to organic foods?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

http://www.preventio...s...s&ItemID=12

Has anyone ever heard of this? The article claims that soaking your food for a certain length of time in a solution of water and Clorox brand bleach can "revive foods, remove pesticides, toxins, and chemicals from food, as well as help preserve food in your refrigerator for much longer." The ratio of bleach to water is 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon.

#2 anon2

anon2

I'm here for the food!

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

it sounds incerdibly dangerous like it could harm u in the future if you continue to do that

#3 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (EyesLikeMine @ Oct 4 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it sounds incerdibly dangerous like it could harm u in the future if you continue to do that

I haven't actually started doing this yet, since I was apprehensive. Hence, me posting the article to get opinions first. =!

Anyway, I have the same concerns as you two do, that the tiny amount of bleach could have adverse affects in the long run--but then again, so can the pesticides that the bleach supposedly removes.. I wonder if it's a fair trade off?

#4 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

2 reviews of the bleach-soaking method:

I have used the Parcell Oxygen Soak method of food protection/preparation for the past 10 years (with only the best of results.)

The procedure was developed by Dr Hazel Parcells who lived beyond her 106th birthday.

It's funny that this reader sent this to me. Last night, I pulled out my bleach, added a teaspoon to the water and then let my grapes soak in them. I urge ALL of you to do this.

I got those from http://www.rumormill...ames/read/96680, and unfortunately, there's no telling how reliable either of those reviews are. However, it seems pretty legit that Hazel Parcells did indeed live to 106, so her method might not be all bad.

#5 Mountainman

Mountainman

straight up ganja toker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

hmm that doesnt sound too healthy to me...sounds kinda dangerous.... but who knows. Interesting theory, if its true and its just as good as organic foods thats sweet, but who wants all their food to taste like bleach? haha

#6 shavingwoes

shavingwoes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Panda1 @ Oct 4 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rakbs @ Oct 4 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, it seems pretty legit that Hazel Parcells did indeed live to 106, so her method might not be all bad.

Huh, wait, so if the bleach does all that good stuff to fruit and meat and foods, what if the minute traces of bleach could actually rejuvenate us and that's why she lived so long? shock.gif

Edit: And I'm sure you'd rinse off/wash the food after it's been soaked so I don't think it'd taste like bleach.

The article does recommend a fresh water soak after the initial bleach water soak. This is pretty interesting though, could anyone try it on some over-ripe fruits and/or veggies to test the claims of "rejuvination"? That claim seems the most doubtful to me of all that's presented in the article.

#7 I hate redspots

I hate redspots

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

oh............. my ............... god

please none of you fucking try this

#8 Mans

Mans

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:32 AM

WTF?

^ Agree nobody try this. This is ridiculous. Bleach is fucking toxic.

#9 shavingwoes

shavingwoes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (I hate redspots @ Oct 4 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you misunderstood or didn't read the thread; it's not soaking in pure bleach, it's a very dilute solution.

On another note; all the summer camps I've been to where we went out on a canoe trip, in order to drink the lake water we purified it by adding a couple of drops of bleach to it and shaking it up.

#10 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (shavingwoes @ Oct 5 2008, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (I hate redspots @ Oct 4 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you misunderstood or didn't read the thread; it's not soaking in pure bleach, it's a very dilute solution.

On another note; all the summer camps I've been to where we went out on a canoe trip, in order to drink the lake water we purified it by adding a couple of drops of bleach to it and shaking it up.

Yeah, sorry if I didn't make that clear, but it's recommended that you use one teaspoon of bleach in one gallon of water, not pure bleach.

The only old piece of produce I have in my house right now is a banana, and I'm not sure if this will work on a banana. =/

#11 I hate redspots

I hate redspots

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

Im sorry I would need serious convincing that this is safe, not jst some e-link. You could seriously harm yourself with bleach.

And shavingwoes, why couldn't u just boil the water?

#12 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

Sure as shit won't undo the havoc reeked upon the environment or the employees forced to submit to the toxicities of inorganically farmed produce.

Further, why would you want to soak your food in something (quoted by the EPA): "chlorine bleach is known to form a variety of more toxic byproducts, including trihalomethanes, which may cause cancer and have developmental effects(vi), and organochlorines, which cause cancer in animals (and probably humans)."

Surely the anecdotal account of one woman's longevity despite her extreme use of such a noxious chemical is not grounds to endorse it?

I'm surprised at this topic, rakbs.

#13 shavingwoes

shavingwoes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (I hate redspots @ Oct 5 2008, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im sorry I would need serious convincing that this is safe, not jst some e-link. You could seriously harm yourself with bleach.

And shavingwoes, why couldn't u just boil the water?

I'm not sure why they didn't (I was maybe 12 at the time so don't remember) but my best guess is it's way more convenient to add a bit of bleach to a jug of water, mix and wait a bit before drinking than to wait for a pot of water to come to a boil and then wait for it to cool down so you can drink it. Keeping in mind this is summer too; so high 20/low 30ish Celcius temperatures and having to paddle requires a fair bit more water.

#14 Ell

Ell

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

I really hope nobody tried this, that is beyond toxic.

#15 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (ayla @ Oct 5 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Further, why would you want to soak your food in something (quoted by the EPA): "chlorine bleach is known to form a variety of more toxic byproducts, including trihalomethanes, which may cause cancer and have developmental effects(vi), and organochlorines, which cause cancer in animals (and probably humans)."

You're taking that quote out of context. Bleach breaks down into toxic byproducts, however, these toxic byproducts are released simply by using bleach, not ingesting it.

In other words: simply using bleach to disinfect your floor will release the toxic compounds that you speak of. In fact, I would wager a guess that you absorb less of these compounds by ingesting a minute quantity of bleach, instead of breathing it in around you. Bleach breaks down very quickly; by the time you've soaked your produce in it, rinse it off, and eat it, I'm betting that you are ingesting virtually 0 of these harmful compounds.

Case in point: The EPA--yes, the exact same organization--also recommends that you add tiny amounts of bleach to potentially contaminated water to make it safe for drinking.

If you want more proof, consider this. The active ingredients in bleach are hypochlorous acid and sodium hypochlorite. Guess what? Hypochlorous acid is the stuff they use in swimming pools to disinfect the water. Sodium hypochlorite is used to treat domestic water. Yes, this is the stuff that is found in tap water. So tell me again: how is it exactly that rinsing in your fruit off in a heavily diluted solution of bleach and water, rinsing it off, and eating it, is dangerous?

To make myself clear, I'm not endorsing or recommending this method. I just wanted to discuss it, and find out if there's any virtue in doing it.

#16 Heroin

Heroin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

I went to Guatemala for a couple weeks my freshman of highschool. You did this to everything you would eat raw, like fruits and vegetables. I don't know about the supposed health benefits, but it isn't detrimental I am almost certain. Actually, come to think of it, the kitchen at my school sometimes does this to plates and stuff. You just have to let it dry first, then it's no longer toxic.

#17 Glass Danse

Glass Danse

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Sorry I dont know anything about this, but Ive just noticed that theres been a few people who dont know really anything about it but yet are shooting this down without any consideration.

#18 Mountainman

Mountainman

straight up ganja toker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

Sure as shit won't undo the havoc reeked upon the environment or the employees forced to submit to the toxicities of inorganically farmed produce.

nice nice point.
this still sounds freakin dangerous to me, sorry but bleach is not a chemical you want to be eating all the time. Sure you might use it to purify bad drinking water sometimes because the risks of the bacteria in the water out weigh the risks of the bleach. And the stuff they put in tap water is not good for you either....thats why many homeopathic doctors urge people to drink distilled water. It just sounds ridiculous to me trying to eat an organic diet by bleaching all your food. No offense to the thread creator or anything, i just dont want people to hurt themselves

#19 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (rakbs @ Oct 5 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're taking that quote out of context. Bleach breaks down into toxic byproducts, however, these toxic byproducts are released simply by using bleach, not ingesting it.

In other words: simply using bleach to disinfect your floor will release the toxic compounds that you speak of. In fact, I would wager a guess that you absorb less of these compounds by ingesting a minute quantity of bleach, instead of breathing it in around you. Bleach breaks down very quickly; by the time you've soaked your produce in it, rinse it off, and eat it, I'm betting that you are ingesting virtually 0 of these harmful compounds.

Case in point: The EPA--yes, the exact same organization--also recommends that you add tiny amounts of bleach to potentially contaminated water to make it safe for drinking.

If you want more proof, consider this. The active ingredients in bleach are hypochlorous acid and sodium hypochlorite. Guess what? Hypochlorous acid is the stuff they use in swimming pools to disinfect the water. Sodium hypochlorite is used to treat domestic water. Yes, this is the stuff that is found in tap water. So tell me again: how is it exactly that rinsing in your fruit off in a heavily diluted solution of bleach and water, rinsing it off, and eating it, is dangerous?

To make myself clear, I'm not endorsing or recommending this method. I just wanted to discuss it, and find out if there's any virtue in doing it.

I would never use bleach to disinfect my floor. I wouldn't use bleach for damn near anything. Perhaps if I were without fire or a proper filter stranded in the woods with only stagnant water and happened upon a bottle of chlorox I might use after 3 days and serious threat of dehydration. Other than that I steer clear.

Additionally, I have a whole-home filter - I never bathe in that shit, or drink it, or give it to the wild birds or my cats. And they know and prefer my water btw. I'll follow their lead.

Yeah, I quoted the EPA, out of context no less. Does that make the information less true?

I thought I was discussing it...?

QUOTE (Mountainman @ Oct 5 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nice nice point.
this still sounds freakin dangerous to me, sorry but bleach is not a chemical you want to be eating all the time. Sure you might use it to purify bad drinking water sometimes because the risks of the bacteria in the water out weigh the risks of the bleach. And the stuff they put in tap water is not good for you either....thats why many homeopathic doctors urge people to drink distilled water. It just sounds ridiculous to me trying to eat an organic diet by bleaching all your food. No offense to the thread creator or anything, i just dont want people to hurt themselves

Thanks. You as well biggrin.gif

#20 Glass Danse

Glass Danse

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (ayla @ Oct 5 2008, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I quoted the EPA, out of context no less. Does that make the information less true?

I thought I was discussing it...?

Yes, taking a quotation out of context does make the quotation less true, that should be obvious... And I still have yet to have seen a solid reason against this other than people saying that it sounds very dangerous.