Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Perricone and Salmon

20 posts in this topic

How many servings of Salmon (fish) does Perricone recommend? a day? a week?

I am concerned about mercury levels even in WILD SALMON.

I buy cans of wild pink salmon for $2.99 from

http://www.raincoasttrading.com/productsavailable.html

@ my health / organic food store.

but I recently read this article

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitnes...y.ap/index.html

What are the hazards if any of TOO MUCH SALMON?

Again what does PERRICONE say?

Thanks in advance.

he recommends salmon 3 times a week. the nutrient in the salmon is omega 3's and 6's but if you're worried about the mercury then you can always just take fish oil pills. the same thing, really. and it's cheaper in the long run.

Doing some research i found this...

Nicholas Perricone M.D., dermatologist, assistant clinical professor at Yale Medical School and author of The Wrinkle Cure, advocates eating fish - salmon, in particular - at least 10 times a week....

However, Perricone maintains that there are many more benefits from eating salmon than just taking a capsule. Salmon contains high amounts of protein, a coenzyme Q-10, which is a powerful antioxidant, plus it's rich in dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE).

Dimethylaminoethanol is a naturally occurring nutritional compound found in fish such as sardines and anchovies. It's also present in small amounts in the human brain. According to Perricone, DMAE increases tone in the skin.

Yes 10x a week is asking for it...Like the poster above said you could get all that in a pill. Is it the same as eating fresh salmon, I dont know. You can get your Omega 3's and 6's, plus take a DMAE and Cq10 vitamin. Dr. P does love his salmon, and its sad that we have to take a pill instead of the real deal.

Some problematic chemicals are being found in fish oils, presumably because they are showing up in fish. The doctor talking about it (on the Today Show, I believe) actually said that high levels of a flame retardant were appearing......

I guess you've just got to look for the purest stuff. At least allegedly.

If we can get ALL the benefits from pills, why would Dr. Perricone encourage fish so strongly? Esp. when he also advocates the use of supplementation?

If we can get ALL the benefits from pills, why would Dr. Perricone  encourage fish so strongly?  Esp. when he also advocates the use of supplementation?

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

\"discretus1\"

What you get in a capsule will rarely be a good substitute of the whole food. The oil is only omega 3. but the fish contains protein, amino acids etc.

If you are not a large fan of fish, then you should eat lean meats/nuts and take the supplements.

It might, but you must remember that he pushes for salmon because you if you are following his dietary reccomendations you will not be eating certain other foods.

If you eliminate one food item or catagory, you must replace it with more of something else (or you'll starve) that's preferrably healthier. Therefore, taking a loads of pills won't replace the actual foods & calories you would be consuming, if you were to just eat plenty of fresh seafood (if you can stomach it), fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. =)

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Is the taste of Salmon similar to Tuna. Since i started my new diet 3 weeks ago i now eat 3 tuna sandwiches a week and eat cooked fish twice a week. Cooked fish with squeezed lemon juice and black ground pepper is yummy. I'll look for salmon next time i'm in the supermarket.

"As you think, so you are. As you imagine, so you become"

Bingo! Salmon tastes very similar to tuna. So if you like tuna, you should like salmon =)

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

I've heard as an alternative to fish oil supplements you can take flax seed oil. It also has omegas, but doesn't have the PCB's, etc.

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

Yeah Emma - flax seed oil is very good (I sprinkle flax seeds on to soups, cereals etc.) and I guess is the vegetarian equivalent to salmon fish oils.

actual flax seeds are supposed to be better since they have more of the stuff that's good for you. but i'm sure that flax oil is very forgivable as well smile.gif just be careful when eating flax seeds that they don't get stuck between your teeth! biggrin.gif they're elusive little buggers when you don't have a mirror

Yeah Emma - flax seed oil is very good (I sprinkle flax seeds on to soups, cereals etc.) and I guess is the vegetarian equivalent to salmon fish oils.

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

Over eating any one food is probably not a good idea. I would really hesitate before consuming that much salmon. Just curious, does this Doctor describe any cooking technique? If so, I'd think you should poach the salmon.

emmanuel - The powder would be better because your body recognizes it as a food, therefore it is absorbed much better.