Photo

Dr. Perricone and Salmon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 discretus1

discretus1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:12 AM

How many servings of Salmon (fish) does Perricone recommend? a day? a week?

I am concerned about mercury levels even in WILD SALMON.

I buy cans of wild pink salmon for $2.99 from

http://www.raincoast...savailable.html

@ my health / organic food store.

but I recently read this article

http://www.cnn.com/2...y.ap/index.html

What are the hazards if any of TOO MUCH SALMON?
Again what does PERRICONE say?

Thanks in advance.

#2 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:21 PM

he recommends salmon 3 times a week. the nutrient in the salmon is omega 3's and 6's but if you're worried about the mercury then you can always just take fish oil pills. the same thing, really. and it's cheaper in the long run.

#3 discretus1

discretus1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

Doing some research i found this...

Nicholas Perricone M.D., dermatologist, assistant clinical professor at Yale Medical School and author of The Wrinkle Cure, advocates eating fish - salmon, in particular - at least 10 times a week....

However, Perricone maintains that there are many more benefits from eating salmon than just taking a capsule. Salmon contains high amounts of protein, a coenzyme Q-10, which is a powerful antioxidant, plus it's rich in dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE).

Dimethylaminoethanol is a naturally occurring nutritional compound found in fish such as sardines and anchovies. It's also present in small amounts in the human brain. According to Perricone, DMAE increases tone in the skin.

any opinions?

10 servings of wild salmon? wouldn't that risk mercury levels in the body? any hazards?

#4 Speedracer

Speedracer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:38 PM

Yes 10x a week is asking for it...Like the poster above said you could get all that in a pill. Is it the same as eating fresh salmon, I dont know. You can get your Omega 3's and 6's, plus take a DMAE and Cq10 vitamin. Dr. P does love his salmon, and its sad that we have to take a pill instead of the real deal.

#5 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:26 PM

It's not sad for me, i can't stand fish. biggrin.gif

#6 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:29 PM

Some problematic chemicals are being found in fish oils, presumably because they are showing up in fish. The doctor talking about it (on the Today Show, I believe) actually said that high levels of a flame retardant were appearing......

I guess you've just got to look for the purest stuff. At least allegedly.

#7 discretus1

discretus1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:36 PM

If we can get ALL the benefits from pills, why would Dr. Perricone encourage fish so strongly? Esp. when he also advocates the use of supplementation?

#8 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:02 AM

If we can get ALL the benefits from pills, why would Dr. Perricone  encourage fish so strongly?  Esp. when he also advocates the use of supplementation?

What you get in a capsule will rarely be a good substitute of the whole food. The oil is only omega 3. but the fish contains protein, amino acids etc.
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#9 discretus1

discretus1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:08 AM

\"discretus1\"

What you get in a capsule will rarely be a good substitute of the whole food. The oil is only omega 3. but the fish contains protein, amino acids etc.

Maya:

I agree. It is just I keep hearing people say, "just take fish oil pills." It sounds uninformed to me. Others go even further to say, "Take Fish Oil, Coq10, and DMAE supplements, and you will get all the benefits of fish as long as you eat adequate amounts of protien as well."

I am just questioning if it were that easy, why would Perricone endorse fish so strongly, especially when he also preaches the use of supplementation.

I did not know so many people aren't the biggest fans of fish. I am one of them.
Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

#10 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:12 AM

If you are not a large fan of fish, then you should eat lean meats/nuts and take the supplements.

#11 discretus1

discretus1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:23 PM

If you are not a large fan of fish, then you should eat lean meats/nuts and take the supplements.

would that result in the SAME benefits that perricone preaches from fish/salmon?

#12 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:17 PM

It might, but you must remember that he pushes for salmon because you if you are following his dietary reccomendations you will not be eating certain other foods.

If you eliminate one food item or catagory, you must replace it with more of something else (or you'll starve) that's preferrably healthier. Therefore, taking a loads of pills won't replace the actual foods & calories you would be consuming, if you were to just eat plenty of fresh seafood (if you can stomach it), fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. =)

#13 discretus1

discretus1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:08 PM

that makes sense...

#14 will205

will205

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:36 PM

Is the taste of Salmon similar to Tuna. Since i started my new diet 3 weeks ago i now eat 3 tuna sandwiches a week and eat cooked fish twice a week. Cooked fish with squeezed lemon juice and black ground pepper is yummy. I'll look for salmon next time i'm in the supermarket.
"As you think, so you are. As you imagine, so you become"

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

Bingo! Salmon tastes very similar to tuna. So if you like tuna, you should like salmon =)

#16 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:53 AM

I've heard as an alternative to fish oil supplements you can take flax seed oil. It also has omegas, but doesn't have the PCB's, etc.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#17 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:36 AM

Yeah Emma - flax seed oil is very good (I sprinkle flax seeds on to soups, cereals etc.) and I guess is the vegetarian equivalent to salmon fish oils.

#18 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:13 AM

actual flax seeds are supposed to be better since they have more of the stuff that's good for you. but i'm sure that flax oil is very forgivable as well smile.gif just be careful when eating flax seeds that they don't get stuck between your teeth! biggrin.gif they're elusive little buggers when you don't have a mirror

#19 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:18 PM

Yeah Emma - flax seed oil is very good (I sprinkle flax seeds on to soups, cereals etc.) and I guess is the vegetarian equivalent to salmon fish oils.

I like flax seeds too. I have oatmeal with them in it..I LOVE it.

You can use the oil as a salad dressing instead of olive oil, etc.

You have to make sure you get a good flax oil. It should have an opaque container so the light doesn't degrade it. It should also be kept in the refrigerated section of your health store. There should be an expiration date too.

The flax powder is rumored to be better unless you really chew the seeds. I've never tried it though and don't know if it's true anyway.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#20 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:06 AM

Over eating any one food is probably not a good idea. I would really hesitate before consuming that much salmon. Just curious, does this Doctor describe any cooking technique? If so, I'd think you should poach the salmon.

emmanuel - The powder would be better because your body recognizes it as a food, therefore it is absorbed much better.