Photo

Topical Alpha Lipoic Acid and DMAE improve scarring 80%?

dermabrasion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

I just finished reading The Acne Prescription by Dr. Perricone and in it he claims that he gave topical Alpha Lipoic Acid mixed with DMAE to 15 of his patients with acne scarring and the scarring was improved on average 80% without any lasers or dermabrasion, just these topicals.

I did a search on this board, but found little as far as people trying this and what their results were. It sounds very intriguing, however, so I wanted to share what I read.

-Dan

#2 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:15 PM

Dan,

Check out the Pure Deming Intense Gel thread. That's a product containing both of those ingredients in the same percentages that Dr. P recommends. I've been using it for quite some time, yet I don't think it's done much for my scarring. There's also a homemade ALA/DMAE thread that speaks of this very same issue, if I'm not mistaken.

#3 purepersian786

purepersian786

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:19 PM

how is it recommended to use the intense gel for red marks? how much and how often gives best results?

#4 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:05 PM

i have been using Reviva Labs DMAE/ALA/Vit C cream twice a day consistently for about a week. the red marks on my cheeks have decreased dramatically. i attribute this to stopping Retin-A Micro which had only aggravated these spots by making and keeping them bright red. however, i do think that since ALA is anti-inflammatory it has reduced the redness much more quickly. red marks used to turn a darker reddish brown and then stick around for a looooong time. give this a try! the cream is not greasy at all. i was surprised it absorbed into my extremely oily skin.

#5 Vanishing Wolf

Vanishing Wolf

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:05 PM

I don't think ALA works for scarring. I've scoured the internet and have been waiting for some believable testimonials. None exist that I can find. I wanted to believe...another empty promise, most likely.

Unfortunately, I don't have faith in any topicals currently being used to combat scarring. Strong peels, Retin-A, & copper peptides may have some minor merit, but only for shallow superficial scars, I'm guessing.

That doesn't mean I'm not constantly on the lookout for some "miracle" topical, but I'm not holding my breath, either.

#6 Healtysceptic

Healtysceptic

Healthysceptic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:56 AM

The puredemming intense gel is fantastic. It makes my skin glow like it did when I was a kid. It will not reduce acne scarring but really hydrates the skin incredibly. And the people there are great. Customer service and shipping are A#1.
James

#7 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:56 AM

The puredemming intense gel is fantastic. It makes my skin glow like it did when I was a kid. It will not reduce acne scarring but really hydrates the skin incredibly.  And the people there are great. Customer service and shipping are A#1.
James

Agreed. biggrin.gif Their service and products are great!

Dan - I read that book when it was released. Some time back, on this board, many of us made up our own very powerful (i.e. lots of ALA, DMAE, Vit C etc.) topical. It helped with red marks and moisterisation but not with indented scarring.

The problem with Dr Perricone, is that he sells these products at a ridiculously high price.. and some of those products have comedogenic ingredients.

And he uses the word 'scarring' loosely. And his tests were not done under any clinical supervision. We just have to take his word for it coz he says so in the book.... hmmmm. Also, he has no before and after photos in his books that shows scar reversal from using his products. If he had had such a success, he would surely have made a before and after photo section for that.

#8 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:49 AM

maya:

could you please refer me to a link on here that some people have experimented with homemade ALA/DMAE/vitc topicals? thanks! true, his line is quite expensive. one kit sells for over $1,000! and some of the ingredients are not non-comedogenic. however, he seems to believe that comedogenic products will not contribute to acne once the other ingredients (ALA/DMAE) are at work.

maybe what dr. perricone saw as scarring was actually just the pores getting smaller. his regimen is supposed to reduce oil and that usually results in smaller pores. i believe gamer has had success with reducing pore size but i don't think he had any "real" indented scars.

#9 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:53 AM

Here you go malia

http://acne.org/mess...ht=alpha lipoic

In future... take a look at the top of this page ^^ and click the search function. It's easy to find threads.

#10 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:20 AM

goodness that was a quick reply maya! thanks!

i was actually just looking at that link and found so much interesting stuff. how come you stopped using the homemade cream? (you might have said this at the end of the thread)

i'd like to revive the homemade, especially for those who can't really spend too much on the topicals.

thanks again maya!

#11 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:24 AM

LOL!! Well, I have little to do, since I am scabbed up right now.

It got pretty expensive to make the home made stuff! Also, it was very, very messy!!! And I think the puredeming intense gel is excellent and reasonably priced. www.puredeming.com

So I don't make the homemade stuff anymore.

#12 Alex12

Alex12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:59 AM

How long should we use a Alpha Lipoic Acid/DMAE product to see a improvement in scars?
What does Dr. Perricone say in his book?