Free Personalized Advice
 Take the Quiz »
x
Photo

MSM for acne and scars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 el_lily7

el_lily7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

I have read that MSM helps to build collagen in the body, which helps to plump out scars.

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks and have seen no real improvement yet - but I suppose I need to take it for a few months?

Just wondering, is anyone taking MSM orally? Have you seen improvements in their acne or acne scars?

Thanks

#2 dostoyevsky

dostoyevsky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:51 AM

I've been taking about 4g of MSM everyday for the past 5 weeks. I also mix 1.5g with every 10ml of Organic all-natural aloe vera gel to use at night. At around the same time I started to use the Lightstim Acnelight everyday so I'm not sure what is causing what but there is a definite improvement in my skin. I haven't had any bad cystic acne in over a month. I'm not sure about the scars... they're still there but I'll be able to check properly when I take some 'after' photos to compare to the ones I took 'before'. The only problem I've had recently is I've had small zits (tiny compared to what I used to get) come up through two of the worst scars I had. It isn't too bad because before I would get cysts in the same place but it still means that these scars aren't getting any better.

Acne aside, I've noticed a definite difference in the skin around my eyes. It used to be very dark but now it's lightened up. They say that dark circles are caused by thin skin allowing the veins underneath to show. So I assume the msm has added collagen which is making it lighter.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. If you aren't using it topically then I would definitely recommend the aloe recipe (just make sure it's all-natural and has no chemical ingredients). Also, how are you taking the msm? Apparently Vitamin C makes it easier to absorb so I mix mine with a glass of orange juice. Good luck smile.gif

#3 Lo13

Lo13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hi Lily,

I posted this on another board, but I'll give you the same answer:

28 year old female here who has been using MSM pills/cream on and off for almost 4 years now. And let me tell you how fantastic it is! The cream can help things like eczema and psoriasis like nothing I've ever seen, it's great for using all over your body and your face and if you live in Canada, can be picked up at any local Wal-Mart. I recommend NuAge Health Products MSM cream. It's about $12 for a 125 mL bottle, will last you forever because it can be taken sparingly and even if your local WalMart doesn't carry it, they will order it for you! Or you can call their toll-free # to get it: *moderator edit*. I don't work for NuAge, but I think I'm their biggest cheerleader LOL.

As for the pills, I can tell you this: I had moderate cystic acne in my early 20's and a lot of blackheads, so I decided to start taking the pills. I went to GNC and bought the 1000mg pills and started off at 3 grams per day. Keep in mind I researched up and down before doing so and understood that up to 4 grams is perfectly healthy and apparently the only side-effect past 10 grams/day was diarrhea. Because your body naturally produces it, you're just giving it a super boost, it has never harmed me in any way. In addition to helping my skin clear up (not perfectly, but what a vast improvement), my hair and nails are also healthier and grow a lot faster.

What I would recommend as a whole regimen to start is 2 grams of MSM pills per day, 2 grams of D'Pantothenic Acid per day (vitamin B5), and using the cream as often as possible. I started seeing results on 3 grams of each (though if you're gun-shy, do 2 grams) within 2 weeks. And when I added the cream to the mix, I was like a new person!

The only thing I can't say it did was reduce my pore size or get rid of the annoying deeply embedded blackheads, so I do a Vitalize peel every 18 months now for those, but that's a WHOLE other thread LOL. Hope this helps, I'd stick with it, it's worth it!

#4 sem

sem

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

although this is rather an old thread and may be redundant (have not checked for similar threads), i wanted to add that msm has taken me from mostly clear (due to a strict low sugar/organic dairy/peanut and soy-free diet) to completely clear. i even started having sugar again after years and with 3-4 g of msm a day and r-lipoic acid, i am clear. i mostly credit the msm though- i noticed an immediate difference the first time i took it. it's been absolutely incredible. i had acne for nearly 10 years and tried everything but accutane- diet was the closest i'd come to control but even then, the odd breakout would scar me all over again and this has stopped it. was able to have cake and ice cream on my birthday this year for the first time in ages. anyway, lengthy point is, please try it if you're at a complete loss with acne.

in regards to scarring, which is why i started taking it, i haven't noticed any notable difference since i began it about four months ago. however, i don't doubt its abilities and it does seem to have thickened/firmed my skin and i wouldn't be surprised if it does help with the scars eventually. either way, it is helping to ensure i don't get any new scars which is a big step forward in its own right.

#5 themidnightsun156

themidnightsun156

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

where can i buy some and can someone post a pic of the right kind of pills and cream to use

#6 sem

sem

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

msm is incredibly common and can be found in almost every health food store (in my experience) as well as online. even though it's a cheaper brand, i have had the best luck with the solaray brand of pure msm 1,000 mg. i have yet to use topical msm but vitamin shoppe carries both the solaray msm, among others, as well as various msm creams. like msm pills, it's readily available at many health food stores and online.

#7 themidnightsun156

themidnightsun156

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

also is it used for blemishes or deep scarring?

#8 Healthnut25

Healthnut25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE (dostoyevsky @ Sep 20 2008, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem I've had recently is I've had small zits (tiny compared to what I used to get) come up through two of the worst scars I had. It isn't too bad because before I would get cysts in the same place but it still means that these scars aren't getting any better.

Hey! I'm new, but have struggled with acne and the some resulting scars for years, and have also had much success on and off the years with natural remedies (when I was faithful with taking them!). Just tonight I was reading here (http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/23947/) about a woman who took MSM. She said it caused a "cleansing effect" on her, and before the acne got better, she got the same acne in the same spots as her scars, as the body was sort of "pushing" out the old toxins and problems, and since then, she only gets tiny unproblematic pimples on her entire face. When I came here and read this, I wondered if it was the same thing happening!

Just a thought.

Healthnut

#9 jouli

jouli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

hi.i post here first time.sites are source of information and knowledge.this is one of them.i read all the post and like it so much.I book mark it and mail all of my friends to must check it.so thanks on this nice sharing,

#10 ragerage42

ragerage42

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

I took msm and didnt notice any change then I started taking taurine tablets and noticed mild change in acne but then I remembered reading that acne is a type of fungas like dandruff treated with sulfur so I was on the hunt for sulfur products with little to no luck unless ordered online but read taurine is a type of sulfur and amino acid so I did a home experement that really worked wonders for me better then antifungals I tried in the past I crushed taurine tablets and added water to the mixture and grabbed a cottonball and rubbed the mixture all over my face and let it dry to my surprise it was like a mask careful not to get in eyes and then I rubbed off the access powder but didnt wash after and two days later most my acne was gone give that a try it worked very well for me

#11 Mr President

Mr President

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:56 AM

ive been taking msm supplements for around 2 months now and havent noticed anything too special about it. i've also been using a product called nixoderm which contains sulfur and salicylic acid (SA) in it. i've found works quite well. the sulfur kills bacteria and the SA reopens the pore.

#12 silhouette

silhouette

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:33 AM

Hey, this is the first time I've ever posted anything on here, although I've been visiting this site for a couple years now. I just wanted to get my story out there. I'm a 21 year old female. My acne started when I was 17 for no reason it seemed like. I always had flawless skin b4 then. I was a vegetarian and I was consuming large amounts of soy. I heard that soy mimics estrogen and confuses the hormones, something I found out too late. Also, my emotional stress level was really high back then. These two factors, I attribute to my skin problems.

Anyway, I seriously tried everything and wasted lots of money but Ill just say what helped. My acne was located primarily on my chin. deep painful cysts, sometimes many at a time. What initially helped was zinc. I noticed results after two months. My acne was greatly reduced but still there. The zinc was amazing but didnt completely clear my skin. I still had cysts pop up quite frequently. What did clear my skin 99% was msm powder. I used the optiMSM brand. the powder that dissolves in your drink. It's bitter but not too bad. I learned that most people are deficient in msm which is naturally found in every living organism on the planet. Due to the unnatural farming methods of today, people arent getting enough msm. What msm does is it has a detox effect on the body. It cleanses the liver of toxins. Hormones also build up in the liver and the liver supposed to flush them out, but when the liver isn't properly working, and theres a toxic overload, you develop a hormonal imbalance. Anyway I was honestly flabbergasted by the results. I rarely got cysts. I take zinc occasionally still and cut back to about msm four days a week. I'll get a cyst around that time of the month usually but it's totally normal.
The only thing left with my skin problems are the red hyper pigmentation marks left behind which were quite noticeable. however Ive been applying 4% hydroquinone for the past 2 months and the marks are fading like a miracle. thankfully, im almost through with this whole acne experience which has been emotionally trying beyond words. Also, I found that learning to relax
the mind is extremely helpful when dealing with acne. so if you have cystic hormonal acne, especially located around the chin, I highly recommend trying msm. It worked for me.