Photo

Binge eating = High Glycemic Load = Hyperglycemia = Acne

green tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#21 _MaGic_DuSt_

_MaGic_DuSt_

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

I binge eat all the time, so I agree with everything above.

What I've lost:

I've lost friends.
I've lost trust.
I've lost confidence.
I've lost self esteem.
I've lost happiness.
I've lost joy.
I've lost beauty.
I've lost chances.
I've lost oportunities.
I've lost moments.
I've lost time.
I've lost time.
I've lost time.

#22 karma89

karma89

I love lamp.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

For the protein thing, I got that wrong. I'm actually supposed to eat around my weight in protein, that's it.
My Wonderfully Original Log: CLICK IT!

#23 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Evaluate how many calories you need and distribute them evenly over at least 3 meals and preferably 4-5 and your acne will be reduced significantly.

Is there any evidence to back this up? I've seen a lot of positive feedback on intermittent fasting, which is the exact opposite of having 4-5 meals a day. I personally am not sure whether eating 5 meals a day is the best thing for your digestion.
Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#24 Rubbish

Rubbish

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

I have dropped down to 1200 calories and am not hungry.
I seriously have come to the conclusion if you pig out you get acne!
Acne correlates with how rich and prosperous a country is.
Or should I say how downright greedy.
You wanna pig out, then don't complain about acne!
Take on board or refute in denial.
I really really eusa_dance.gif do not care!
You will never hear from me again!

Three meals only a day, no snacking, no alcohol (since 3 years ago), no red meat, no refined sugars (I count honey and fruit juices are refined), no added oils or fats. 2000 Calories a day. Tend to eat all kinds of fish (oily as well) and birds like chicken or turkey, no lamb or pork or beef. Shave every day with single blade razor in morning shower (skin wet for 5 minutes) using shave gel from an aerosol can, wash face with cleanser once after then rinse. Rest of day, just use water only (when needed, at gym for instance). 99% clear. Skin condition very good, can wear clothes without ruining them, used to ruin them when I used to use BP.

#25 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

[quote name='Rubbish' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:06 PM' post='2420516']
You wanna pig out, then don't complain about acne!

This is exactly what I needed to hear

#26 Adam08

Adam08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

I'm very excited about this.

I thought i was doing everything right. This may just be the final piece of the puzzle for me...

#27 tobias

tobias

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (karma89 @ Oct 2 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the protein thing, I got that wrong. I'm actually supposed to eat around my weight in protein, that's it.

Before I see you type this somewhere else, can you please fix it. I assume you mean something like 5g-protein per pound of bodyweight or that protein should represent 50% of your daily calories. Think about it, how can you eat your weight in protein??
Males - GET AN ELECTRIC RAZOR, so important

Experimenting with:
-no added/un-natural sugar
-no grains bar rice cakes, gluten-free bread & buckwheat pancakes, of which in moderation. Aim for <50g carbs/day
-intermittent fasting and eating smaller amounts more frequently
-daily exercise

What breaks me out: some pastuerised dairy, gluten, SUGAR, probably starch and lectins, sleep deprivation, lack of sun, stress, some other b*tch of a thing I'm yet to discover

#28 karma89

karma89

I love lamp.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

That's probably it. I likely got my info mixed up, cuz I thought I got that figure from a body building site but I probably didn't read it properly at the time (this was last year when I was on/off with weight lifting).
My Wonderfully Original Log: CLICK IT!

#29 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:56 AM

This approach, even if it works couldn't be entirely satisfying in my opinion. I mean, why do we have to makes such great sacrifices to have clear skin? There has to be something else wrong with us that makes us unable to cope with the binge eating, this in my opinion is still addressing the symptoms. It might be a good treatment, but it sucks to be reminded of your acne every time you sit down for a meal. WTF is wrong with us? Is our acne really a result of our excess and addictions? Are we that much more excessive and addicted then our friends, or are our body's just weak. I mean if acne is simply punishment for a glutinous lifestyle then fine, I could understand cutting back, but if its just our bodies malfunctioning then there has to be something better. I don't know, it seems that the OP has adjusted to the diet and doesn't feel compelled to pig out, but if the craving doesn't go away then this would be daily torture. Gonna keep taking my 10mg of accutane every five days for now, thanks.
read the board rules regarding outside links in your signature.

#30 Glass Danse

Glass Danse

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (andersoj @ Oct 3 2008, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This approach, even if it works couldn't be entirely satisfying in my opinion. I mean, why do we have to makes such great sacrifices to have clear skin? There has to be something else wrong with us that makes us unable to cope with the binge eating, this in my opinion is still addressing the symptoms. It might be a good treatment, but it sucks to be reminded of your acne every time you sit down for a meal. WTF is wrong with us? Is our acne really a result of our excess and addictions? Are we that much more excessive and addicted then our friends, or are our body's just weak. I mean if acne is simply punishment for a glutinous lifestyle then fine, I could understand cutting back, but if its just our bodies malfunctioning then there has to be something better. I don't know, it seems that the OP has adjusted to the diet and doesn't feel compelled to pig out, but if the craving doesn't go away then this would be daily torture. Gonna keep taking my 10mg of accutane every five days for now, thanks.

oh. ok...
"Factors that are known to cause variation in the levels of growth hormone (GH) and IGF-1 in the circulation include an individual's genetic make-up, the time of day, his or her age, gender, exercise status, stress levels, nutrition level and body mass index (BMI), disease state, race, estrogen status and xenobiotic intake."

IGF-1 --> androgens --> sebum --> acne.

#31 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (Glass Danse @ Oct 3 2008, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (andersoj @ Oct 3 2008, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh. ok...

Yeah, right?

#32 Adam08

Adam08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:33 AM

i like your point andersoj. However, because i am 19, i consider this approach to be temporary. Besides, they say that longevity is linked to a lower caloric intake.

#33 Demorph

Demorph

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:22 AM

i also think that this method only addresses the symptoms and is not the solution.
but since nobody knows THE reason for acne, we can only hope to control our symptoms that seem to differ quite a lot amongst us.

#34 tobias

tobias

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

My question is did our ancestors live like this? I mean, if so, it wouldn't have been intentional; thats a no-brainer. But when you think about it they probably spent alot of time eating easily-accessible food like vegetables which don't make you feel that full, whereas killing a deer or cow or whatever probably wasn't a daily event. What they did do though is alot of physical activity every day. Perhaps it just ties in to how much energy you expend a day, is a determination of how much you can get away with eating. It's pretty darn likely very few of us would compare to our ancestors in that department. Just throwing this out there.
Males - GET AN ELECTRIC RAZOR, so important

Experimenting with:
-no added/un-natural sugar
-no grains bar rice cakes, gluten-free bread & buckwheat pancakes, of which in moderation. Aim for <50g carbs/day
-intermittent fasting and eating smaller amounts more frequently
-daily exercise

What breaks me out: some pastuerised dairy, gluten, SUGAR, probably starch and lectins, sleep deprivation, lack of sun, stress, some other b*tch of a thing I'm yet to discover

#35 AltaPGT

AltaPGT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

This is a great theory and probably applies to many. But it would not work for the many on this board that claim to be ultra skinny and say its "impossible to gain weight", how are they supposed to cut back?

I am not one of these people, just food for thought.

#36 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have had smooth skin that looks flawless the last couple days and I'm willing to bet that the reason has been caloric restriction. It is more complicated than that. I find that I will still get acne on less calories. The real solution for me is to eat SLOWLY with smaller bites and smaller portions (I usually never even eat the whole 'small' portion because if I am careful, I realize I am not hungry for the whole portion).

If you start to feel itching or irritation anywhere on your face, you are eating without thinking (ie thinking/worrying/distracted by something else). IMO when I eat in this frame of mind, I get acne.

What I do is choose to eat when it is most relaxing for me to do so. Yesterday for example, my sister was stressed out and I stayed with her talking untill 4pm. After that I was a little hungry but I knew supper was coming so I poured myself a small glass of this creamy vanilla atkins advantage protein shake (I know, not the healthiest thing in the world) mixed with cold water and ice. I will no longer force myself to eat healthy if it's not what I really want to be eating. I no longer force myself to drink /eat the whole portion. This is the key IMO. If I start to itch, I get stressed, which usually makes me want to gulp the rest of that something down and be done with it. Now I just see it as being that much fuller will be that much more stressful, life will be that much harder and I'll have that much more acne. I think acne sufferers worry about not finishing the whole portion, seeing it as wasteful. The serving sizes of packaged foods where I'm from are HUGE. I would be much happier if things came iin little taster sizes. That way there would be more to go around and less money spent on too much food. I know I had a really hard time not finishing my drink, and it wasn't that I wanted to be the one who was drinking it, it was just that something so yummy should be enjoyed. I was really sad, I realized I worry about this all the time. Subconsciously I know I am very fortunate, and I have a lot of sympathy for people I know who are not as fortunate as I am, and with the media, I know about people all the way around the world who are severely less fortunate. IMO, maybe acne sufferers are very empathetic, kind people who worry too much! =) (this applies to veganism)

So I ended up taking a couple sips of this shake and my hunger faded away (as did my mild headache). I stopped drinking, then decided to do a couple chores and help with making supper. An hour later, I ate less than a palm of wine/seasoned chicken breast (lean no skin), a hand of ginger-almond salad and sour cream and dill mashed potatoes (equivalent of half a large potato minus skin). I also had several half-glasses of white wine, a half a glass of ceasar, and some gingerbread cake and lemon sauce. I ate slowly while talking to friends and family with smaller bites, alternating with wine. Any acne sufferer would probably cringe at what I ate, but the food was spread out slowly and eaten carefully, and lo and behold, I am sitting here with my cup of coffee with clear skin!

I also want to mention that I do avoid beef, lactose and whole wheat, as even in small amounts I can develop acne. I use 100% pure NOW stevia if I want something a little sweeter.

I also want to mention that I use Fitday.com to help with the caloric restriction. I find that if I don't write what I am eating down, I will overeat at night. Last night I was fighting a binge by eating small amounts, and while I entered a chocolate mint girl guide cookie in Fitday, I realized it was past midnight and those calories counted towards today. That made me feel so good, because I was scared that I would overeat (because I was alone). It gave me the will power to stop eating and go to bed, because I didn't want to start a new day on the wrong foot.

This post is full of anecdotal evidence, but I hope some people try this out. I have been really happy and satisfied and a lot less worried. With less calories I sing every morning and I have the energy to give social situations my all, everything goes a lot more smoothly when I'm not full.
Also want to mention after three days of eating MUCH less, I randomly had a date last night! I haven't had a date in SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long lol!! It went beautifully, and I have had those happy thoughts replaying in my mind all morning. Seems like my life is fuller now that I am not.

Also, That can of atkins advantage vanilla shake...My serving was 1/4 cup mixed with 1/4 cup water and ice. I put the remains of the can in a container and into the fridge, which is great, because I feel like by opening that can, anyone who goes into the fridge and wants to try the shake CAN. That 1/4 cup was still TOO MUCH for me to drink, and I admit I did throw the rest away...Next time I will pour myself much less.

#37 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (tobias @ Oct 3 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is did our ancestors live like this? I mean, if so, it wouldn't have been intentional; thats a no-brainer. But when you think about it they probably spent alot of time eating easily-accessible food like vegetables which don't make you feel that full, whereas killing a deer or cow or whatever probably wasn't a daily event. What they did do though is alot of physical activity every day. Perhaps it just ties in to how much energy you expend a day, is a determination of how much you can get away with eating. It's pretty darn likely very few of us would compare to our ancestors in that department. Just throwing this out there.

Thats a good point, makes me think of Michael Phelps who as we all know eats like a total pig and well, look at him! Food = Energy in need of burning huh? and I thought it was just designed to taste good, what a novel idea! lol

Oh, and very inspiring post meat pirate, it sounds like there's definitely something to this and I agree with the need to pay full attention to your food when your eating, as you should to each moment of your life no matter how mundane it might wrongfully appear to be. This is straight out of Mindfulness meditation practice and really is a beautiful idea.

#38 hipster23

hipster23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

Meat pirate, wasn't it you who recommended eating nothing but beef for a month and see if you clear up and that it worked for you? Just saying, it's a radical shift from your current ideology. Sounds like you found something that really works for you though. Restricting calories actually made my skin worse D:

Rubbish, if you're really eating 1200 calories a day, even avid calorie restricted dieters eat at least 1500 calories a day, and strive for a BMI of 18-20. Do you think that's a bit too low?

#39 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (hipster23 @ Oct 3 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meat pirate, wasn't it you who recommended eating nothing but beef for a month and see if you clear up and that it worked for you? Just saying, it's a radical shift from your current ideology. Sounds like you found something that really works for you though. Restricting calories actually made my skin worse D:

Rubbish, if you're really eating 1200 calories a day, even avid calorie restricted dieters eat at least 1500 calories a day, and strive for a BMI of 18-20. Do you think that's a bit too low?

I did recommend that. I didn't know that a limited diet was causing me to limit my calories, which IMO is the real reason behind my acne. However it is not just restricting calories, it's the speed that I eat at one time. I'm sure I could eat a regular amount of calories as long as I eat slowly and stop eating when I know I've had enough/I start feeling itchy/distracted/rushed.

#40 Adam08

Adam08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

It actually makes sense...gluttony contributing/causing acne