Photo

Tretinoin (Retin A) .025 & Doxycycline 100mg - Log

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#21 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:42 AM

Hey kushndrank. We can only hope the end result is going to be good. Sooner the better!

I was thinking about it and was wondering what we will do when we are completely clear. Will we continue Retin A for the long term? Just afraid it will all come back after we are done with the treatment. Maybe apply it once a week instead of everyday?

#22 Soapybubbles

Soapybubbles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

MisterTwo, I was on tretinoin for two years and was basically completely clear. I went off of it for like 5 months (I though my acne was gone)... and now I'm back to square one. I would definitely recommend staying on it and using regularly as you are now for as long as it works for you. Plus, it REALLY helps with anti-aging, and once your skin gets used to it, it keeps you looking fresh. My mom uses it (as many older ladies do) to get rid of sun spots, and help combat aging. Her skin looks 10 years younger than it really is.

also, when do you take your shower... in the morning? or do you take it at night and moisturize before you put the retina on?

#23 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:19 AM

you know, i agree with soapy bubbles
not a cure, just controls it, so you gotta keep doing it i guess
but maybe less often would be a good idea once your clear

i wonder what the effects are long term, though?

#24 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

I have searched google and haven't found too many studies on long-term effects of retin a. From what I gathered, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects of using it for a long time. I shower twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I moisturize after every shower and yes, I put the retin a on after moisturizing. I figure if your gonna strip the layers of the skin, might as well keep it healthy and moist.

I missed a dose of doxy and tret yesterday. Drank wayyyy too much and crashed at a friend's place. Just got home with a massive hangover... gonna go pass out.

#25 laindenver

laindenver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Just wanted to put in my two cents and say that my derm told me when my skin got clear I could try only using retin-a 2 or 3 times a week. Also you moisturize first? Is that working alright because I always heard that you needed to wait 30 min after putting on the retin-a and then moisturize. Hope your skin get clear quickly:)

#26 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

hmm the fact that there hasn't been a conclusive study does worry me a bit, but ohhh well
haha

#27 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (laindenver @ Sep 27 2008, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to put in my two cents and say that my derm told me when my skin got clear I could try only using retin-a 2 or 3 times a week. Also you moisturize first? Is that working alright because I always heard that you needed to wait 30 min after putting on the retin-a and then moisturize. Hope your skin get clear quickly:)

That is what I was thinking of what I should do once I have clear skin. It seems to be working fine while moisturizing first. People say what I am experiencing in my log is how it went for them. I always shower and moisturize right after the shower. Then I wait 30 minutes before applying the Retin A.

Thanks, I hope I clear up soon too surprised.gif

#28 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

so do you think youre starting to hit your ib yet or do you think this is still the calm before the storm?

#29 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

I think I am in my IB as I have some formations on places that were clear when I started the regimen. In addition to the new formations, I am still breaking out around my mouth and in between my eyebrows. The new breakouts though are much smaller compared to before. I think the doxy is doing a good job in keeping the inflammation down.

#30 &&&

&&&

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

wellll if it makes u guys feel any better ive read tht some people dont even go through the IB and start rite away with clearing up. o and i stoped it for ONE day and i had two pimples the next day rite in the middle of my forhead. :[ dont u wish there was a cure to acne.

#31 Soapybubbles

Soapybubbles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

WAAAhhhhhhhh uurrrrrrgghhhhh

that is really all i have to say. shy.gif

#32 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (Soapybubbles @ Sep 29 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WAAAhhhhhhhh uurrrrrrgghhhhh

that is really all i have to say. shy.gif

Is that your battle cry? biggrin.gif

So your starting to see "progress" huh? Today I started peeling a lot and that made me realize I am not getting quicker effects than I thought. Looks like I am due for some craziness next week as you are a week ahead of me. When I start to get down, I just tell myself that I am purging my body of the bad bacteria.

Hang in there Soapy... light at the end of the tunnel. banana.gif

#33 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

Updated finally, been 5 days since last one.

How are you doing Soapy? It feels like I am starting to clear pretty good now. How about you?

#34 Soapybubbles

Soapybubbles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

haha, oh, you lucky bastard...

I feel like I just started clearing a couple of days ago. However, I went to go see the doctor and she told me that she has seen a ton of improvement on my forehead, nose and cheeks, but (like me) has noticed a worsening of the cystic acne on my chin area. She told me to stop the topical antibiotic and to start minocycline 100mgs twice a day.

I'm feeling conflicted, because:
1) if the topical erythromycin just started to kick in... I don't want to stop it in fear of me getting worse (while the mino takes time to kick in) when really I could be getting better.

2) i do not want to become dependent on this antibiotic.

pretty much I'm much more concerned about the first one. I really don't want to quit a good thing, which is what the erythromycin is if I am indeed clearing.

I need advice on this for sure. Has anyone switched antibiotics before? or from a topical to an oral? How long does it take to work? how long do oral antibiotics take to work in general?

i'm very nervous and conflicted.

#35 Rai

Rai

I love my fake smile. :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

Soapybubbles.

I am on oral and topical. Ask if you can be on both. I am and its working wonders.

Me personally it took 5 months before I saw a dramatic change in acne on my face. Now I just have stupid red marks.

#36 Soapybubbles

Soapybubbles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Rai,

You just made my day! Secretly I just got the oral yesterday, and still used the topical last night. What antibiotics are you on? Are the topical and the oral the same or different? B/c mine are different...

uh, red marks are horrible. I suck at covering them up.

ps, thanks for replying.

#37 Rai

Rai

I love my fake smile. :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

Right now I am on 50mg's of Minocyclin

And my cream is Retisol-a 0.01

But my doctor said she wants to up me just to make me not have any acne. I have moderate acne. I went from having about 20 on my chin at a time now to 2 active ones right now, but they are like pin size so only I notice them.. ha ha

I think the red marks are the only thing that bugs me now, but I hope in a few months they will fade and I will be able to show my naked face to the world! ha ha

if you have any questions you can message me!

p.s. your welcome! ha ha I hate when i post something and dont get a reply. If I can help I always reply.

QUOTE (Soapybubbles @ Oct 7 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rai,

You just made my day! Secretly I just got the oral yesterday, and still used the topical last night. What antibiotics are you on? Are the topical and the oral the same or different? B/c mine are different...

uh, red marks are horrible. I suck at covering them up.

ps, thanks for replying.

#38 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

How's it coming along Soapy? Good I hope. Nice pic btw biggrin.gif

Update us on your progress...

#39 Soapybubbles

Soapybubbles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

oh, hey!

my progress is steadily improving. I still have some active pimples and i still get some new ones, but they are NOTHING like those horrible cysts i was getting during my initial breakout. I still have red marks, and i am considering purchasing this MAMA lotion stuff that everyone on this site raves about to help get rid of them.

Basically, i'm doing a lot better than my last post. I'm not hiding out in my apt. anymore at least, lol.

and yeah, i decided i needed pics... liven things up a bit.

i haven't checked your updates yet. how are you doing?

#40 MisterTwo

MisterTwo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Soapybubbles @ Oct 28 2008, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh, hey!

my progress is steadily improving. I still have some active pimples and i still get some new ones, but they are NOTHING like those horrible cysts i was getting during my initial breakout. I still have red marks, and i am considering purchasing this MAMA lotion stuff that everyone on this site raves about to help get rid of them.

Basically, i'm doing a lot better than my last post. I'm not hiding out in my apt. anymore at least, lol.

and yeah, i decided i needed pics... liven things up a bit.

i haven't checked your updates yet. how are you doing?

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Getting active pimples still, but they seem to come to head much quicker. The major breakout I had when I started the regimen is finally gone and most of the marks are fading quickly. I should probably look into the Mama lotion as well. Overall skin is much smoother though.

I think we got another month before drastic improvements come, or at least that is what I have read. Good to see your not hiding out. comfort.gif Life is too short to be a recluse. I will post a pic eventually, gotta muster up the courage.