Photo

What Should I eat?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 WaltDisney

WaltDisney

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 03:58 AM

hiiii

I'm going to try cutting dairy out of my diet (as well as a couple of other things) for the next 2 weeks - month, but I'm not sure what I can eat in its place. I have cereal every day (pretty much) and drink milk with most of my meals. If you have any advice re: alternative breakfast foods (I like oatmeal and waffles but I usually have a glass of milk with them). Also, after how long without milk should I expect to see any improvement, or whatever's expected to happen?

thanks, walt

#2 WaterWings

WaterWings

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:51 AM

I was just going to ask similar questions about this subject ...

Im cutting foods out but im not sure what to eat !

I have milk everyday with my cereal so Im cutting that out for a few weeks. But then I dont no what to have for breakfast, I end up having soup and some fruit, does anyone no if soup is a good or bad thing to eat?
I also read that bread isnt a very good thing to eat and I eat so much of that (brown bread) , is organic bread any better? I also eat a lot of pototoes and read on one site that they arent to good. So i never no what to eat and end up starving and I dont eat enough as it is.

So it would be interesting to hear what people eat for breakfast, dinner, tea, etc.
Avenged Sevenfold, Everytime I Die, Most Precious Blood, The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Beecher, The Dillinger Escape Plan, System Of A Down, Shallow Water Grave, Kyds Vs Columbus, Crydebris, Converge, Hondo Maclean, Alexisonfire, From Autumn To Ashes

#3 high_plains_drifter

high_plains_drifter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:02 AM

Morning Waterwings,

I eliminated milk from my diet a few months ago and reduced my potatoes consumption, because I, too, read that they could induce acne. (Sweet potatoes, however, are supposed to be excellent for the skin. I.e. they are copious in Vitamin A and stimulate the production of Hyaluronic Acid. Anyhow, I digress...) For breakfast, I now eat a bowl of sugar-free oatmeal (Yep, it is the instant stuff, but what can you do? Time is of the essence here. smile.gif) AND a bowl of Egg Beaters (egg substitutes), nastily seasoned with raw garlic and pepper....LOL I wash down my grub with a glass of spring water/freshly squeezed lemon juice. I had eliminated orange juice from my diet a few months ago, as well, because of its sugar content - as discussed by that Dr. Perricone fellow. Eating fruit for breakfast is a super suggestion, too; I usually begin doing that at around brunch.

#4 high_plains_drifter

high_plains_drifter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:22 AM

...oops, I forgot to acknowledge Walt Disney...Good morning to you as well! I forgot to mention earlier, too - my mind is like a sieve today...LOL - that bread is purportedly a colossal no-no for acne. So, no biscuits or toast for breakfast! [-( And I had absolutely loved French bread. sad.gif Of course, some folks here may relate totally different experiences with these foods. Devising an acne-friendly diet is essentially an individual process and one subject to trial and error. Cheers!

#5 WaterWings

WaterWings

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for that bit of info high_plains_drifter smile.gif

I dont think I stop eating bread, I have it all the time! Its always brown bread though, is organic bread any better?

The only fruit I tend to eat our bananas, apples and grapes.

And is scrambled egg any good? I suppose not because your adding milk.

And also I read somewhere on here that you shouldnt microwave your food because it produces chemicals in the food or something ? :-k
Avenged Sevenfold, Everytime I Die, Most Precious Blood, The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Beecher, The Dillinger Escape Plan, System Of A Down, Shallow Water Grave, Kyds Vs Columbus, Crydebris, Converge, Hondo Maclean, Alexisonfire, From Autumn To Ashes

#6 WaterWings

WaterWings

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:06 PM

Was looking for things to eat at certain meal times because i never no what to have and i found this ...

http://www.poundshed.com/fn/fnacne.htm

#7 high_plains_drifter

high_plains_drifter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:29 PM

Hmmm...frankly, I think bread is bread...i.e. regardless of color. Brown or wheat bread can as equally wreak havoc on one’s acne as white bread – at least in my case. What the heck is "organic" bread comprised of anyway? Perhaps you can wean yourself gradually from your beloved bread to observe whether or not your acne subsides. Do it for science...LOL smile.gif As for fruit, every doggone day, I consume blueberries, mandarin oranges, pineapples, apples, and every now and again, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, strawberries, and grapes. My daily veggies include garlic, broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes, green bell peppers, Romaine lettuce, cucumbers...okay, okay...just about every fathomable item available in the produce section of a supermarket...LOL

About your penchant for scrambling eggs with milk...hmmm, that is a new one to me. When my mum scrambles eggs for my pop, she does not mix in any other ingredients – save for a little extra virgin olive oil if she is not cooking with a Teflon pan. Otherwise, scrubbing an egg-residued pan is a shard in the gluteus maximus. There, how was that for swapping recipes and cleaning tips simultaneously? smile.gif

The spiel about not microwaving foods...ahhh, yes...indeed you should not (especially in a plastic container)! I studied about this briefly in an Environmental Health class eons ago. I, however, still do it because I am such a lazy bum. smile.gif Besides, I have a super neat Zenith microwave from the 1970s; folks knew how to crank out top-notch appliances and stuff back then. Nowadays, everything is comprised of cheesy, here today-gone tomorrow plastic. (Anyhow, I digress again...one of my fortes smile.gif) Any and everything we are exposed to in our homes (as well as everywhere else this side of the Milky Way it seems...lol) is contaminated with all sorts of toxic substances – courtesy of industrialization. When you microwave foods, the chemicals in your plastic container or dish (God forbid if it contains lead...*gasp*) seep into your food. Aside from this, the radio waves emitted from microwaves may be detrimental to food and hence to our health. I am not too keen on the mechanics of it really or anyone who boo-hoos microwaves; I think the microwave is a fabuloso invention. Besides, we are all probably walking mutagens anyway – so heat up! smile.gif

Anyhow, I hope that I have sufficiently addressed your concerns. Now if only I could write a dissertation with this much ease. Okay, no more procrastinating for me today; time to hit the books. Best wishes with your diet experiment. smile.gif

#8 high_plains_drifter

high_plains_drifter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:54 PM

I just spotted your most recent post, Waterwings. Hmmm, if you like, I can email you a MS Word document that I had written for a couple of my girlfriends/fellow classmates about a month ago. I had essentially drafted an anti-acne/anti-aging daily "menu." Its length, however, is ridiculously long (sorta like my posts – lol), so I am not about to post that baby here. Anyhow, I would have to polish it up for ya, but it would at least provide you with a bunch of ideas – since you seem a little lost. Oh, one last thing – If you click on the search function at the top of the website and type in "diet" and such, a gazillion other posts about which foods to eat/not eat will emerge. Some of the other posters have discussed their diets in excruciating detail. In fact, some of them served as my inspiration. :-) I am not certain if these respective posts have yet been transferred to this new diet forum, so just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Cheers!

Angelina

#9 WaltDisney

WaltDisney

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 01:24 PM

I just spotted your most recent post, Waterwings.  Hmmm, if you like, I can email you a MS Word document that I had written for a couple of my girlfriends/fellow classmates about a month ago.

If you want to e-mail it to me, that would be nice. my e-mail address is "spam@blankwave.net". Thanks!

#10 WaterWings

WaterWings

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 02:51 PM

Yes please could you email me it

My address is electric_watery_wings@hotmail.com

Thanks Angelina smile.gif

#11 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:57 PM

every single thing i eat during the day is something that i am now being told not to eat.

except for oatmeal and fruit and veggies

#12 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

I tried soy milk! It's actually not that bad. In cereal and stuff, it's really good. I was afraid to try it for a long time, but I was happily surprised. I recommend Silk brand, Plain flavor for all things milk. I use it in cereal and coffee. I like it better in some ways.

I too, am trying to cut out dairy and it is SO hard. All my favorite foods are dairy.
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
-Oscar Wilde

#13 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:51 PM

at lunch there is not ONE option aside from packing
...not .... one

#14 lauryn

lauryn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:21 PM

no high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils.
only organic.

#15 Exodus78

Exodus78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(high_plains_drifter @ Mar 27 2004, 01:29 PM)
Hmmm...frankly, I think bread is bread...i.e. regardless of color.  Brown or wheat bread can as equally wreak havoc on one’s acne as white bread – at least in my case. 

IMO, if you buy bread, I would go with rye or whole wheat. If you buy wheat, make sure the very first ingredient on the label says, WHOLE WHEAT GRAIN, or WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, not wheat flour, or wheat grain.

"We're All Afraid Of The Dark Inside Ourselves"

#16 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

If you still want to eat bread, you could try sprouted grain bread, or there are wheat-free breads, although they can be expensive. Or you can try substituting something like rice cakes with hummus. Sometimes for a snack, I have rice cakes with tahini and sauerkraut; DON'T knock it til you try it!! smile.gif
If you are really used to relying on dairy and bread, you have to start thinking outside that box. If I'm in a hurry, I just eat fruit or a smoothie for breakfast. But when I have more time, I eat some sauteed vegetables with either beans or tofu, and maybe some avocado. If you're used to a sandwhich at lunch, you could try making up a big batch of some type of cold salad to pack along. Any combo of grains and beans, plus some grated carrots, green onions, peas, ANY vegetable that you like really. Dress it with some lemon juice, olive oil, tamari and herbs.
I think you'll find if you try to just switch over to "healthier" proccessed foods, like buying gluten-free waffles etc, you'll end up spending a lot of money on food. If you can and that works for you, great, but if not, you really have to start cooking for yourself and understand that doing so takes a little time. Enjoy it though, put on some music and just spend a little time in the kitchen. If you know you're going to be busy then next week, make a big pot of soup or bean salad and just have it in the fridge. If you know you're going to be breaking down and going to dairy queen because you have a sweet tooth, make sure you have healthy sweets around the house. I try to keep some dates and raisins around, and I have some recipes for quick, easy, no bake cookies that have no wheat and no sugar.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#17 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:29 PM

Try vegweb.com for LOTS of dairy free recipes. A lot of them might have wheat, but there are TONS of recipes so there are many that don't.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.