Photo

For how long should I be on Minocycline.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ggman

ggman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hey, I've been on Minocycline for a year now. I've been taking 100mg pill twice daily as directed by my dermatologist.

I'm wondering if I should stop or continue. I heard it can affect muscle growth by damaging the gut flora. Since I'm lifting, I don't want it to affect my progress.

My questions are:
Should I stop minocycline since I have been taking it for a year now and maybe it has no effects on me anymore?
If I stop, will my acne come back? I don't wanna breakout.

If I have to choose between acne free and muscle growth, I think I'll choose acne free.

#2 auto

auto

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

ive been on 100 mg twice a day too for about 4 weeks now and so far it has been preventing breakouts, ive been seeing an improvment...has yours got any better? if not i would ask your derm for somthing else that might work better? i missed a dose and when i woke up i had more breakouts than usual so i wouldnt go off it, id ask my doctor first. good luck

#3 johnnnny

johnnnny

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

they only prescribed one bottle to me and i used it in about 6 weeks. i saw improvement but when i stopped it came back so i would keep on it.

#4 ggman

ggman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

Well I've been taking it for a year now. And yes I've seen major improvements but I can't really say if it was minocycline or the topicals I used, or just the time that passed by and hormones,etc.

I don't have much acne now. Just oily skin, blackheads and occasional inflamed pimples.

I read somewhere that your body develops defense against antibiotics when you take them for a large period of time. I don't really know what to do, and I'm kinda scared to take the risk and stop using it.

#5 johnnnny

johnnnny

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

ya thats true but i think it takes more than a year for your body to build immunity from the products. but i dont know.
and ya the mino is supposed to keep your zits not inflamed, when i took it my face showed really good improvements in that, and when i stopped it came back.
if your doctor didnt tell you, you are actually supposed to stay away from milk too in like the 4 hours when you take the pill. what i did was i just stayed away from milk all together.

#6 ggman

ggman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

Seriously you have to stay away from milk when you take minocycline? I've never heard of that. I drink plenty of milk throughout my day. Heck I even drink the pill with milk. Someone even told me it's good to drink milk with antibiotics. Do you have any source stating milk isnt good to take with minocycline?

edit: nvm, I just did some research and you're right.

on another note: my dermatologist said to take it with food. Is this okay?

#7 theitaliandaniel

theitaliandaniel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

its not the milk, its the calcium absorption that impairs minocyclines affect. So it wouldn't be working as well. I love milk, but farmers also but to much hormones in the cows so they can grow faster. And then we are passed those hormones when we drink the milk lol. Just try to drink lots of water when on minocycline. Water is key to helping out acne, and making sure that your skin is rejuvenating itself, water is a healing agent for scars also. Flushes your body

#8 auto

auto

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

wow! thanks for the good info... i wont be drinking any more milk although i really like it and i will also be drinking more water; on my pill bottle it says to not take it within 2 hours of having iron and calcium so il see what happens. thanks again