Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vitamin A & vitamin D >> Accutane (SUCCESS!)

111 posts in this topic

Wow Milk Thistle! That's really serious. Surviving a ruptured appendix is quite a feat, usually the built up toxins are enough to kill :S. Glad you're OK!

And yeah i'm seeing some results at 21days of 300,000 IU. Acne hasn't improved that much yet but skin oil has reduced a bit so I do look better :D.

Currently on Isotretinoin for the second time!

70kg / 154lbs

Month 1: 30mg (20mg/per day & 20mg/twice per day, alternating)

Regimen

Morning:

Luffa + Boots Skin Clear Ultra Treatment Wash (Salicylic & Glycolic acids) in shower

Boots Skin Clear Oil Free Mattifying Lotion (Salicylic acid & moisturising)

20mg Isotretinoin w/ Breakfast (cereal w/ milk & glass of milk) every other day

Day:

Moisturiser & Blistex Intensive Moisture SPF15 as needed

20mg Isotretinoin w/ meal (+glass of milk or high fat snack if it's a low-fat meal)

Night:

Luffa + Boots Skin Clear Ultra Treatment Wash (Salicylic & Glycolic acids) in shower

Interesting topic.

I'm currently following a regimen that's loosely based on NDNRomeo's EFA/EVOO combo. I'm taking 1 tsp of Carlson's CLO with my last meal in the evening (around 6 or 7 pm) with good results... but not great. The ratio of A to D is between 1.75 and 3 to 1 (due to the amount of retinol naturally occuring in the cod that was used for that particular bottle).

Should I increase my intake to 2 tsp's or maybe even 1 tbsp per day? Assuming I take 1 tbsp, that would be 3,600 IU of A (retinol) and 1,200 IU of D (cholecalciferol).

I'd say you're gonna have to up that quite a bit if you plan to see any results. My multi-vitamin has 10,000 IU of Vitamin A in it. Granted like 40% of it is beta-carotene though. For things like treatment of Acne I can't imagine anyone getting noticeable results without at least a good 20-30,000 IU's of Vitamin A.

This Regimen here that I've been sorta planning my supplement doses around suggests 15,000 IU of Vitamin A twice a day. You also need to get a good ratio of Vitamin D as well.

Just chiming in on the toxicity thing, if anything I think it would be Vitamin A stopping Vitamin D toxicity (it limits the calcium transport effect of D or something). I don't think (even though i'm taking it) that Vitamin A toxicity is avoided by taking Vitamin D. It's still dangerous if not monitored!

Though the reported affects of acne-clearing from Vitamin D in that 1937 journal thing, if not hindered by Vitamin A, make them the perfect couple! The 'magical' clearing property of Vitamin D (is it explained anywhere how it worked? 77% success is too high over long period for placebo unless the whole thing is bogus methinks) plus the slight drying effect of Vitamin A seem a great combo for fighting acne, albeit a risky one if you're not getting proper tests (which you all should be if you choose this path).

Currently on Isotretinoin for the second time!

70kg / 154lbs

Month 1: 30mg (20mg/per day & 20mg/twice per day, alternating)

Regimen

Morning:

20mg Isotretinoin w/ Breakfast (cereal w/ milk & glass of milk) every other day

Day:

Moisturiser & Blistex Intensive Moisture SPF15 as needed

20mg Isotretinoin w/ meal (+glass of milk or high fat snack if it's a low-fat meal)

Night:

Hey does anyone know if there is tolerance to the vitamin A and D combo effects? I've been reading in my psych class about homeostasis, set points, and the like, and it has started to make me feel a bit worried about the little bit of success I have been having over the past month -- I hate to have to put the thought in other people's heads though, so if you are reading this and it makes you concerned about the possiblity that the vitamins won't work as well in the future, realize that I don't have any solid proof stating if it's the case. aghhhh

I remember being asked a few months ago as to whether or not Vitamin A or D was doing the trick. Initially I said both.

But I'm more inclined towards vitamin D. Vitamin D is the only "vitamin" that's really a hormone. Okay, so Vitamin A is a hormone too (retinoic acid), but it is not nearly as potent as vitamin D. Vitamin D (via calcitriol) is active in picogram quantities. That's 1 trillionith of a gram. 1000 times smaller than a nanogram and 1000000 smaller than a microgram. Plus for many rural people (where acne is non-existant) vitamin D is much easier to access than vitamin A (via the sun). Though I still do believe vitamin A has a role too, just not as much as vitamin D.

I'm actually on 100,000 IU of vitamin A per week (not day) while taking 20,000 IU of vitamin D/day. My overall skin is much better than when vitamin A was dominant.

- My website to help people with acne. Generally for those mild to moderate.

I remember being asked a few months ago as to whether or not Vitamin A or D was doing the trick. Initially I said both.

But I'm more inclined towards vitamin D. Vitamin D is the only "vitamin" that's really a hormone. Okay, so Vitamin A is a hormone too (retinoic acid), but it is not nearly as potent as vitamin D. Vitamin D (via calcitriol) is active in picogram quantities. That's 1 trillionith of a gram. 1000 times smaller than a nanogram and 1000000 smaller than a microgram. Plus for many rural people (where acne is non-existant) vitamin D is much easier to access than vitamin A (via the sun). Though I still do believe vitamin A has a role too, just not as much as vitamin D.

I'm actually on 100,000 IU of vitamin A per week (not day) while taking 20,000 IU of vitamin D/day. My overall skin is much better than when vitamin A was dominant.

Hi! This is my first post here.

I can lend some personal experience to this discussion:

2 Winters ago I read up on the vitamin a curing acne thing and decided to give it a go. I started in Novemberish time and started taking around 100,000 IU. My skin got dryer but my moderate acne didn't improve. I then realised dose may have to be higher so I went to 400,000 for 2 days. I got headaches but persisted and then next day couldn't get out of bed. I stopped and then read about vitamin d relationship and found I could take about 200,000 vit. a without headaches if I took about 8000I.U. vitamin d. Acne still wasn't good - in fact worse than before I started this - much bigger spots on kneck.

I was going to Australia and wanted to look great but face didn't look good when I left. I said to myself 'screw this' and I took 1,000,000 IU vit a over course of journey. I then continued to take this amount every day for a couple of weeks. I felt fine - in fact fantastic. But I was outside in 40 degrees every day - my acne got miles better. I then dropped to 400,000 a day for about 1 month and skin continued to improve dramatically to near perfection. Then dropped to 250,000 IU and maintained for half of the summer in England.

Side effects - felt fantastic in Australia but lips were very cracked. This was ok when I dropped to 250,000 I.U. increased susceptibility to sunburn due to rapid skin turnover.

Midway through English summer I got a bit worried about this dose and tried to reduce. Got to 25,000 I.U. vit a and skin stayed fine but then acne started coming back. Reading this now it's just occurred to me that I wasn't getting much vit. d as it was a terrible summer here. Come the end of summer I'd had some moderate acne back - I got really worried and raised vit.a to 1000000 IU for couple of weeks and then dropped to 200,000 and skin looked great. Then I tried to drop and started getting 1 or 2 bigger spots on my face - cyst like deep ones which I'd never ever had. I went away for 1 week to Cyprus and skin again cleared up. Then back and it continued with this problem. Other -ve factors may have contributed -started binging on whole grain carbs as I fell for some stupid diet advice, eating ridiculously spicy food and getting insomnia - probably due to stress. However, these problems all could have been due to liver problems.

At beginning of xmas hols stopped all vit.a and stopped agetting these big spots - and my sleep improved (prob. being home from uni without embarresment of spots). Skin's been ok ever since - mainly low carb and standard diet changes but never as good as in aus or summer after. In Australia I could eat/ drink virtually anything and sould not breakout. I also felt really healthy but maybe due to less phycological stress with no acne.

I'm now on 25,000 IU/ day and generally get 4000 IU vit d - skin's not bad but I, like you, know how good it can be on this regimen. I feel, but do not know, that the high doses of vit. a in the sunless autumn of last year with about 8000 IU vit. d/ day damaged my liver. But I feel fine now though - I follow a good diet but drink a fair amount.

Please comment back. Do you think that if I took a high dose, like yours, of vit. d3 (which is not harmfull) and continued on between 25,000 and 100,000 IU vit.a I would again get the same results. I want to emphasise that when in aus on this dose I feel like none of my triggers now affected me in any way, not just acne. I felt and looked immensely healthy. And after rereading this post I think it might be safe to take these levels of vit.a with that amount of sunlight.

I hope you let me know your views on my post because I'm slightly scared to raise vit.a again but I think I will do a trial of v. high vit.d with 50,000 or maybe 100,000 vit.a and I will be able to let you guys know if this is comparable to what I did in Australia.

PS The guess the main cause of my acne is Insulin Resistance as I have v.minor acanthosis nigricans and I thought this supp. regime may have just masked this until I came off it. But maybe the vit.d actually cured my insulin resistance and vit.a just improved skin health by speeding up skin shedding? Also bear in mind any damage to liver can worsen IR.

hey im brand new to the board, but i just wanted to bump this topic.

Everyone still alive right, lol?

Anyone with new results?

Had a few questions as well:

Should you spread out the vitamins throughout the day?

I have been reading that fat soluble vitamins can be taken all at once since they are absorbed much, much slower than water soluble.

What should the ratio of D to A be?

I have also read that taking these vitamins, you should intake a b-complex with at least a 100:1 ratio.

What do you guys think about that?

Also, is beta carotene necessary?

What about calcium?

Vitamin E?

Lastly, and sorry for all the questions lol, how should you get into this program?

What i mean is what doses to begin with?

Any other pieces of advice from users of this regimin before i start?

Thanks in advance

bump

nobody?

Isotretinoin is an 13 cis acidic form of vitamin A that is a few steps up on the retinol conversion process from the form in fish liver supplements. Really retinol with a few carbons, and hydrogens added. You can look up the various forms and the conversion process to satisfy your curiosity. It is in some ways slightly superior to the regular vitamin but neither is safe. Isotretinoin is supposed to leave the bloodstream slightly faster, a matter of a few hours from what I have read. Some would argue that this makes it slightly safer. Is a hydrogen bomb safer than a helium bomb? lol.

I did this. It worked. Wish I had thought of the vit K cause the blood thinning effect if high levels of A made me chilly burrr. My skin was completely clear and I have never seen my pores so open. That said, it is dangerous for some people who do not have the genetic makeup to handle the high amounts of the vitamin. Are you one of these people? Who knows without blood tests. Talk to a doctor or better yet a naturopath, get blood tests, know the signs and symptoms of toxicity. There is a way, and there is a right way. If you are at this point, you probably should be seeing a derm.

Sorry to bump but this topic is intriguing, i'm 19 and have been on 3 accutane courses in the last 4 years of my life and as a student I can't afford another. I have the same story everytime I come off the drug that my acne creeps back only milder. Also I have never have any serious side effects from this treatment.

Current story is it's creeping back again, even though its pretty mild I do miss complete clarity offered from tane. So I've done my research and i'm going to be trying ~200k iu vitamin A and ~25k vitamin D for ~4 months daily with blood tests every month then some kind of maintenence dose of around 50k iu vit A and 10k iu of vit D indefinetly after.

Have been on 25k iu of A and 4k iu vitamin D for the past 3-4 weeks with 45 mg of zinc and have had a small initial breakout over the last week or so, hoping to up my doses over the next few weeks and rid myself of this disease again

Orange Deuce,

I think it's okay to take vitamin D (and is a good idea), but I'd avoid isolated vitamin A. There are too many studies now that show it to be dangerous. However, it's not dangerous if you get it from food sources in the form of beta carotene, which your body will safely convert into the amount of Vitamin A needed. Greens are one of the best sources for beta carotene, and they are amazing for your skin. There's a link for my green smoothie thread in my link below. It will show you how to very easily add greens to your daily diet. :)

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!