Photo

Keloids

keloid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 blkbuttahflyy

blkbuttahflyy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:47 PM

I've been plagued with keloids for as long as I can remember on both shoulders and shoulder blades. No tank tops in the Summer for this girl. There are at least 2 dozen button-sized ones, 3 medium-sized ones, and one huge one (the width of 3 fingers) as a result of laser surgery from trying to have one removed. Well, it occurred to me that keloids are essentially excess scar tissue, so I decided to experiement. I went to CVS and purchased a bottle of Compound W, a wart remover. I figure if it worked for warts, maybe it could help with those annoying little keloids speckled all over me. It contains 17% salicylic acid so I tried it on one of the small ones and a medium-sized one. I applied it with a Q-tip since the dropper applicator was messy. Application went smoothly, but after about 5 minutes, the areas to which I applied the Compound W started to burn. When the initial burning ceased, that's when the stinging took over. That lasted about another 20 good minutes. When it had reached an hour, I washed the stuff off since it does leave an obvious white crust-like substance over the area where you put it. That was exactly one week ago. I did not use it again until tonight (on a couple of the smaller keloids) because I noticed that the keloids from last week had vanished!! No, they're not completely gone, but one is barely noticeable and the other is completely flat with a little discoloration remaining. Just thought I'd share this info to those plagued by these things.

WARNING: If you choose to experiement with this, please note that this is not for the timid! I consider myself tough-skinned, but as I sit here, I cannot wait for my hour to be up so I can wash this stuff off.

#2 imbue

imbue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:14 PM

http://www.keloid-scars.com/

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:13 AM

I saw this guy on WHYY. He's a PS, and someone asked about keloids. He seems to know a lot about them, and uses laser and radiation combined to treat them, and has had success. He's African American, and most people with keloids are African American, which may be why he knows a lot about it. He prefers radiation in conjuction with another method because they don't come back as frequently.

Keloids are harder to treat than hypertrophic scarring.

Here is his website:

http://www.drdavidwatts.com/index.html

#4 angel

angel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:27 AM

so wait....

what does that mean a PS?

is this a real solutution or is he trying to market a product. I have keloids and would be interested if this is for real..........

#5 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:29 AM

Blkbuttahfly, you are very innovative. I was in a discussion thread on makeupalley about scar treatments, and she (another poster) dealt with her keloids in a similar way. Wart removal cream, after a steroid injection. Voila. They were gone.

#6 angel

angel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:40 AM

oh ok......that dr watts is who you were talking about.....

so blkbuttahfly.........you got thsi stuff at CVS? how much money?

i have some keloids on my shoulders too that i just hate.

im def going to try this thanks so much!

#7 leopolda

leopolda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:16 PM

Hi, I too have heard of using this high percentage of salycillic acid for raised scars, though I have never tried it myself. Actually, I saw in the aisle with the wart medication a product that has 40% salycillic acid in a sort of bandaid-like adhesive pad that you are supposed to stick on your wart. Hmmmm...

--leo

#8 Johnnery

Johnnery

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:05 PM

That guy's keloids gallery was extremely difficult to view. Whew...those poor people (especially the small boy who suffered with keloids).

We're all tough old soldiers and we wear our courage on our sleeves each time we walk out into the world. (Some of us, more than others.) That's why I have so much respect for everyone here.

#9 blkbuttahflyy

blkbuttahflyy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:05 PM

so blkbuttahfly.........you got thsi stuff at CVS? how much money?

CVS brand is about $5.00, the actual Compound W brand runs about $10. It's in a half ounce glass bottle.

#10 jonny5

jonny5

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:55 PM

has anyone ever tried the Unda 270 cream. My naturopath said she has seen it start to dissolve keloids within the first couple weeks of applying it. I have a tube on the way and am going to try it on my hypertrophic scars.

#11 imbue

imbue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:13 PM

If you use this please put vasoline around the scar so you don't get any on good skin.

#12 leopolda

leopolda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:11 PM

Jonny5,

What is unda 270 cream? I tried to look it up on google (ahem, Imbue), but I coudn't find much. You mentioned that a naturopath suggested it? What is it and where did you order it from? Are you planning to use it on your face?

Imbue, your idea about the vaseline surrounding the area to be treated to protect surrounding skin is so simple, but so smart--I had never considered that before. When you suggested this, were you referring to the people using compound W or this unda stuff? Is it really that toxic?

thanks

--leo

#13 imbue

imbue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:43 PM

leopolda

http://www.seroyal.com/Seroyal1/

Yanno... if you downlaod the google toolbar you can search the current website like this one using google.

http://toolbar.google.com/

I think compound w is very strong acid to eliminate warts, it would do the same thing to your other skin. Although, I don't think it's an acid I'd use on my face.

#14 imbue

imbue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:48 PM

http://translate.goo...e...-8&oe=UTF-8

#15 jonny5

jonny5

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:58 AM

My naturopath gave it to me. I put it on last night for the first time and although the scars are obviously still there it did not break me out at all so I will continue using it. I'll post an update if I see any positive results from it.

I myself did a google search on it and couldn't find a place to buy it from. I think you need to be a licensed doc to buy this stuff, kinda like prescriptions.

#16 darren23

darren23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:09 PM

Jonny5, what's the latest with the cream?

#17 leopolda

leopolda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:03 PM

Hello everyone. I am wodnering if people have heard of using Aldara (imiquimod) manufactured by 3M for keloid and hypertrophic scars. It was formualted as a wart medication, but recent studies show that it can be helpful for raised scarring as well. Unlike compound W or other salicylic-based wart medications, it doesn't burn off the wart, but rather stimulates the immune system to attack the wart or excess tissue. It is classified as an immune response modifier (I think a relatively new category of medications). I have read up on it and apparently when applied topically, it produces local interferons at the wound site. I'm not exaclty clear on what this does, but I think it has something to do with arresting the over-deposition of fibrolasts or perhaps it increases collagenase (the enzyme that breaks down collagen). In any case, interferons are sometimes injected into the wound sites after scar revision surgery to prevent the excision site from developing raised scarring (I htink it is supposed to work sort of like steroid injections). In one study I read, it stated that of the 11 patients who had their keloids removed surgically followed by the application of Aldara (imiquimod), none of their scars returned, which is pretty amazing (I htink I read this in an e-medicine article, which I really trust). It sounds as though it works better as prevention than correction (placed on excision sites before they grow back as opposed to placed on already developed raised scarring), but I'm not sure about that. I htink actually this medication was developed specifically for external genital warts, but I'm not sure if that matters. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or had experience with this.

--leo

#18 Lady D

Lady D

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Today is my first day using Compound W. It had been on my mind for quite along time to use, but I never purchased it. So I purchased it from Rite Aid today and thought I would do a little research on the ingredients to see what type of results I could expect and I found this message board. I will keep you abreast of how it works out for me. First Day of Trial Thursday, July 22, 2010.

#19 mooboo119

mooboo119

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

wheres your keloid located at? i heard most people ahve it on their back or chest

#20 vlm

vlm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (blkbuttahflyy @ Mar 24 2004, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been plagued with keloids for as long as I can remember on both shoulders and shoulder blades. No tank tops in the Summer for this girl. There are at least 2 dozen button-sized ones, 3 medium-sized ones, and one huge one (the width of 3 fingers) as a result of laser surgery from trying to have one removed. Well, it occurred to me that keloids are essentially excess scar tissue, so I decided to experiement. I went to CVS and purchased a bottle of Compound W, a wart remover. I figure if it worked for warts, maybe it could help with those annoying little keloids speckled all over me. It contains 17% salicylic acid so I tried it on one of the small ones and a medium-sized one. I applied it with a Q-tip since the dropper applicator was messy. Application went smoothly, but after about 5 minutes, the areas to which I applied the Compound W started to burn. When the initial burning ceased, that's when the stinging took over. That lasted about another 20 good minutes. When it had reached an hour, I washed the stuff off since it does leave an obvious white crust-like substance over the area where you put it. That was exactly one week ago. I did not use it again until tonight (on a couple of the smaller keloids) because I noticed that the keloids from last week had vanished!! No, they're not completely gone, but one is barely noticeable and the other is completely flat with a little discoloration remaining. Just thought I'd share this info to those plagued by these things.

WARNING: If you choose to experiement with this, please note that this is not for the timid! I consider myself tough-skinned, but as I sit here, I cannot wait for my hour to be up so I can wash this stuff off.