Photo

dairy products and acne

dairy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 chicagogirl

chicagogirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:31 PM

Hi all,

I've posted this before (sorry to repeat readers) but wanted to post again in the new forum because a simple diet change made such DRASTIC difference in my skin and I hope I can help others. I haven't changed anything else that was part of my lifestyle except completely eliminating diary products from my diet. I used to get gross, cystic ance that would get red and puff up above the surface of my skin. They were painful and swollen and just not fun at all. I used to drink milk like most people drink water or pop. I noticed when I didn't do it that much that things improved. Once I totally stopped drinking milk the really bad scarring type acne went away totally. The worst I've had since then were little closed pores that look red but aren't really anything and that was after I ate some cheese. So I guess I learned! [-X

Hope this helps. After my experience I definitely believe that at least for some people, diet does affect their skin. It only makes sense that what you put in your body can affect any part of it in ways you might not fully realize!

Good luck everyone!

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:27 AM

NOW...I remember that my dermo once told me that there ARE foods that we should avoid. He mentioned one of them being milk! Gosh...I was so young and naive back then... cry.gif
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#3 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:49 AM

I've cut dairy out of my diet as well, except for an occasional tiny amount of cheese. I miss the yogurt. sad.gif

#4 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:00 PM

I'm gonna stick to yogurt in moderation. It has good bacteria (acidophilus) which helps us as well. Anything in moderation I think is ok.

#5 Jasper

Jasper

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:37 PM

LMAO... I was just gonna make a post about how I was breaking out again as I ate my big block of cheese... For the last week or so I've been eating cheese with every meal and wondering why I've been breaking out... When I read this I threw the cheese to the floor and watched my dogs eat it... bastard cheese tastes so damn good...

Thanks a bunch, you just saved my door a few more hole and me a lot of grief biggrin.gif/

#6 Skin_Obsession

Skin_Obsession

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:40 PM

Chicagogirl,

I've done some research and have found out from numerous sources, that acne, can indeed be a side-effect of lactose intolerance. Although.. I have my doubts treating lactose intolerance through pills, (to avoid upset stomach), will aid in the process of preventing acne.

I've also thought back when I first started getting acne.. and I realized at the time how much milk I was drinking, just like in the post you read. So now just like you I've totally cut out dairy products, and most animal proteins, and so far my skin seems to be on the rebound! I can't wait to see what it will look like a few months down the road wink.gif

Congrats, and take care.

P.S. I still do use cleansers, once a day, but that's just to be safe wink.gif

Peace

#7 cmt

cmt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:12 AM

chicagogirl,

How soon after giving up dairy did your acne clear up? Are you 100% clear now?

I just pm'd you!

Thanks

#8 chicagogirl

chicagogirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:52 PM

Sorry for the long time for this reply, its been exam time around here!

cmt - sorry, I'm pretty inept and don't know how to see a pm. Things started clearing up within a week or two. I still have occasional problems but it seems to be when I'm eating wrong (not enough fruits, vegtables, water, no multivitamin) or not sleeping enough. I would say I've had a 85% improvement overall.

Skin_Obsession - I've also read about the lactose intolerance connection and wondered if that could have been the culprit, but I never experienced any of the other symptoms while I was drinking 1.5+ gallons of whole milk a week. I'm not lying when I say that I was obsessed with the stuff. I would have milk with every meal and drink it for a snack throughout the day. I have been thinking about trying the pills, but don't want to risk my success! I'm not afraid of the acne persay (I guess it would go away if I went back off the milk), I'm afraid of more red marks, which are my main problem right now!

Hope you guys get to read this reply!

#9 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:57 PM

I've been off of dairy for about a month now, and have also made several other changes in my diet for the better. I have seen absolutely no results with my acne at all though.

#10 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:00 PM

Congratulations Chicago girl! You've found your trigger. =D>

CBurns--
Dairy doesn't affect everyone the same. Otherwise, we'd all be lactose intolerant, etc. Everyone has their own demons. Try to find yours...if any.

Study hard CG! I'm trying to do the same...........rats. What the heck am I doing online? #-o

#11 cmt

cmt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:25 PM

Sorry for the long time for this reply, its been exam time around here! 

cmt - sorry, I'm pretty inept and don't know how to see a pm. Things started clearing up within a week or two. I still have occasional problems but it seems to be when I'm eating wrong (not enough fruits, vegtables, water, no multivitamin) or not sleeping enough. I would say I've had a 85% improvement overall.

chicagogirl,
To pm, just click the little "pm" button at the bottom of anybody's individual reply... but you don't need to pm me back now! biggrin.gif

My skin is looking better this week since no dairy...I'm hoping that's why! Thanks for replying!

#12 hots4koshi

hots4koshi

Tasha Tudor II

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

Cow's milk is known to be very difficult for the human body to digest. Maybe breakouts are a result of stressing one's gastrointestinal tract too much with "unnatural" foods.

Goat's milk (unpasteurized) is closer in chemical makeup to human milk. Also, pasteurization destroys the healthy bacteria in raw milk that cleanse your GI tract.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#13 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:23 PM

Goat's milk (unpasteurized) is closer in chemical makeup to human milk. Also, pasteurization destroys the healthy bacteria in raw milk that cleanse your GI tract.

That's right...also goat's aren't injected with any growth hormones (afaik) that alters the composition of the milk.

#14 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:10 AM

Only in the states. IN most other countries it's illegal to give extra hormones to cows, chickens, etc... I'm surprised they're still allowing it down there.