Photo

The use of Retin-A on Oily Skin

oily skin retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 berks

berks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:22 AM

I am a current user of Retin-A gel and have been using it for the past 6 weeks. I have mild/moderate acne but the the main reason I am using this gel is for the control of my oily skin.

After 6 weeks my acne has got worse and the oil on my skin has not reduced. I am confident that the acne will get better by the recommended usage of 12 weeks, though I am not sure if there will be a significant change to my oily skin.

Has Retin-A helped anyone with their oily skin?

#2 German Gary

German Gary

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

I'm not sure if this is of any use to you, but a lot of people have experienced a large increase in oil production using certain retinoids (most commonly Differin). If you are after something to permanently reduce oil production, something like Isotrex could be useful, though the Isotrex is apparently not great at helping acne.

If you get really desperate, as a last resort you could go to a very low dose of Accutane to control your oil production. This would be a last resort though - I would stick with the Retin-A and see what eventuates. Most topical retinoids seem to dry out the skin of most people, but have the opposite effect on a significant minority of the population.

I'm sorry, that was not of much use. Here's hoping that you get some good replies, I for one would be keen to know the answer to this as well.

#3 berks

berks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (German Gary @ Aug 18 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if this is of any use to you, but a lot of people have experienced a large increase in oil production using certain retinoids (most commonly Differin). If you are after something to permanently reduce oil production, something like Isotrex could be useful, though the Isotrex is apparently not great at helping acne.

If you get really desperate, as a last resort you could go to a very low dose of Accutane to control your oil production. This would be a last resort though - I would stick with the Retin-A and see what eventuates. Most topical retinoids seem to dry out the skin of most people, but have the opposite effect on a significant minority of the population.

I'm sorry, that was not of much use. Here's hoping that you get some good replies, I for one would be keen to know the answer to this as well.

Thanx for the info Gary, Isotrex in theory should work as it is like a topical version of Accutane. It is said to reduce sebum production but after doing some google searches I can not find many reviews of it helping users with oily skin.

Hopefully we can get more replies on how useful Retin-A, Isotrex and other methods are for oily skin.

#4 366490

Sean H. Tran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:03 PM

I don't think it does anything for oily skin but it does get rid of scars and wrinkles. I rather have a little oily than a dry pizza face.
masculinity is the ability to flirt with the effeminate

#5 Max101

Max101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:39 AM

Facial Steaming gets rid of the OILYNESS!!
Blah

[/color]

#6 {DC}

{DC}

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

berks,

some people have commented that Retinoids have made their skin less oily and normalized their oil production. But conversly, some have reported, like gary, that retinoids have made their skin more oily. Very confusing indeed.

I am on differin and I hae been using it for about 12 weeks now. My skin definately isnt more oily. In fact I wouild say its less oily. My nose will still get oily by the end of the day and my forehead a little, but these treatments take time, up to 6 months even from anecdotes I have read.

I am going to keep using differin for 6 months and see what happens then. My skin seems to have adjusted more too the treatment as time has gone on. Hopefully things will continue to improve. I have another treatment I will try after my skin has adapted more to the Differin and that is a product called Acnil. It *supposedly* reduces oil production. The active ingredient in it is called Isolutrol. Its been available in the form of a product called Ketsugo too. I think its worth a try at least. Not very expensive either. Might be worth looking into.

I will try it soon enough.

#7 Levin Gumknit

Levin Gumknit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

Try adding to your regimen a sebum controlling wash and maybe even a day gel that you can leave on (presuming you're only using the Retin A at night). I have tried Eucerin products and they're good. I'm sure there are some other good one out there.

As an aside, I used to use Retin A and Differin for many years. It's true, I think Differin may be more drying which could work well for you. Might be worth a try.

#8 berks

berks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

#9 berks

berks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE ({DC} @ Aug 20 2008, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have another treatment I will try after my skin has adapted more to the Differin and that is a product called Acnil. It *supposedly* reduces oil production. The active ingredient in it is called Isolutrol. Its been available in the form of a product called Ketsugo too. I think its worth a try at least. Not very expensive either. Might be worth looking into.

Thanx. If you find any good sites reviewing Acnil please let me know.

Good feedback from a user here:
http://www.medhelp.o...sts/show/240781