Photo

acne for 30 years why?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

I was wondering is it normal to get acne for 30 years?I have been getting acne for that long and at the dermatologists office I was told im the only adult male that comes in that has acne.I wonder why that is? I have been getting acne for about 31 years and im gettting tired of it.I take pills and use retin a like a teen would.I was just wondering would there be something wrong with my skin since im getting acne for so many years?I just dont understand it..i even have scars from bad acne .I feel so ugly. sad.gif

#2 penfoxtiru

penfoxtiru

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:54 AM

Sucks dont it...Ive had it since I was 14 and now Im 27....I think people get it at all ages...My aunt is in her 40's and she gets it bad at times.....

Do u have it bad?

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

I had acne for 30 years. Supplements and diet cleared it.

#4 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:45 AM

I was clear for a year once like 10 years ago i didnt get any acne for some reason but now I have acne again. i was told mostly adult women get ance and not men cause women get it at that time on the month my dermatologist told me.she must know shes sees everyone all the time for the problem.I didnt think diet had anything to do with acne from everything I read its your hormones.

#5 beechvale

beechvale

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:39 AM

but diet does affect your hormones and that inturn affects your acne. Just in the same way food/blood sugar affects a diabetic.

If you've tried most things the dermatologist has suggested without success perhaps its time to try something else. You can be refferred by your doctor and get your hormones/insulin/allergies tested...the results might help improve your skin condition.

i'm 30 tired everything possible for acne - antibiotics, face washes, fash lamps but to my surprise, treating my skin problem like i'm a diabetic(i.e treating the internal problem rather than just the external problem) has finally got me to 100 per cent clear.

on the holistic thread there's several threads that talk about the affects of food, supplements, vitamins.

I'm no saint i still eat fatty foods and sugars(reduced the dairy intake tho) but the vitamins seem to help me digest them easier or help reduce the damaging effect they have. I've stopped drinking soft drinks thru the day and have just water with a slice of lemon which also helps digestion.

These small changes have had a massive effect on the overall condition of my skin...it might just work for you too.

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (ctbo @ Aug 19 2008, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was told mostly adult women get ance and not men cause women get it at that time on the month my dermatologist told me.she must know shes sees everyone all the time for the problem.I didnt think diet had anything to do with acne from everything I read its your hormones.

My 30 years of acne was always constant. It never had anything to do with that time of the month. However, almost all acne is hormonal. Exceptions include things like allergies and pores clogged from topicals and environment. And diet and lifestyle affect your hormones.

And all the dermatologists I saw for over 10 years saw people all the time for acne too, yet knew absolutely nothing except antibiotics and accutane. And one incredibly stupid, incredibly flawed study done decades ago that they accepted as 'proof' that diet does not effect acne. They said dumb things like that to me too.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc, etc. And most of those effect each other, along with environment and lifestyle habits like stress management, sleep and exercise.

Good studies on diet and acne or other hormone issues:

Low GL diet helps acne article in medical journal:
http://www.medicalne...icles/77676.php

Article on Low GI study
http://www.ajcn.org/...stract/86/1/107

Another one referring to the study:
http://www.theage.co...9641420053.html

The RMIT study:
http://www.rmit.edu....16ry1r;STATUS=A

Study on Acne-free island population
http://archderm.ama-...138/12/1584.pdf

Study on association b/w acne and prostrate cancer w/diet IGF1 and androgens in conclusion. Therefore, the effect on diet on hormones.
http://aje.oxfordjou...ull/161/12/1094

Study on diet effecting PMS. Therefore, the effect on diet on hormones.
http://www.greenjour...t/full/95/2/245

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (beechvale @ Aug 19 2008, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but diet does affect your hormones and that inturn affects your acne. Just in the same way food/blood sugar affects a diabetic.

Yes, Insulin is in fact a hormone effected by diet and lifestyle.

#8 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

hmm maybe I should stop drinking soda im sure it doesnt help.i really dont eat fast food though i eat eat home every night and lunch i take with me to work.I really dont know what to eat and what not that would be causing me to break out so bad.but I am under alot of stress at work everyday.

alter thanks for all the links I will read them all. smile.gif

#9 Kriszti

Kriszti

It's not easy being green.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

You could be one of those people who might respond well to diet changes. I've read about a number of people on here (especially men) who cleared up once they've dropped some things out of their diet. Out of curiosity, what have you tried to treat you acne in the past and what is your current skin care regimen?

#10 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Kriszti @ Aug 22 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could be one of those people who might respond well to diet changes. I've read about a number of people on here (especially men) who cleared up once they've dropped some things out of their diet. Out of curiosity, what have you tried to treat you acne in the past and what is your current skin care regimen?

right now I use retin a micro and 100 mg minocycline daily.It works but minocycline is known to leave little blue marks on your face for life so im try to take only when i need it but thats pretty much everyday.I find the retin a mico works very well for me and drys up any acne i get.I alway seem to break out in the same place on my cheeks for some reason.I had 2 really big pimples pop up last week I been reading facil hair can cause acne so i shaved my goate off and my skin is starting to clear up some.not sure it thats the reason or not.I have no clue what i would be eating that would cause acne. eusa_think.gif

#11 COD4: MODERN WARFARE 2!

COD4: MODERN WARFARE 2!

accutaner.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

why dont you try accutane?

#12 Morgo

Morgo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Here is my story. I am thirty, and just recently suffered from an acne breakout. Frustrating, but I know I'm not the only one, and I know have it under control (read on to find out how). I first got acne in high school, I guess around the age of 15 or 16. My parents took me to a dermatologist, and I was prescribed a tropical treatment and an oral treatment. I don't remember what they were, but I think the topical treatment was something similar to Retin-A. I don't think the oral was Accutane, but I'm not sure what it was. Anyway, acne improved. But for the rest of my teen years and through most of my twenties, my acne would come and go. I'd have a breakout, use prescribed treatment, or later Proactive, and it would clear up for a year or so, and then break out again. I would always have the red spots that would take 1-6 months to clear (prominent on my pale skin, but concealor covered them up good - and my friends always wonder why I hate going in the water at the pool or lake), with some very minor permanent scarring on cheeks. Then, I started using birth control pills in mid-twenties. After a year, I went off of them, and broke out like crazy on my back. I had never had major issues with bacne before, and never had a break out like that period. Went back on the pill and it cleared up. A year or two later, decided to get off of the pill for good because of negative side effects and my own personal feeling that most pills are inherently bad for you. My face soon broke out worse than ever (hormone fluctuations from pills - stay away from them if you can!), much worse, huge big pimples that lasted for a month, nothing like what I had had before - I was 27. After trying Proactive (which had worked for me in the past), Dr. Hauschka products, and other things for over six months with no improvement, I came across a book called The Acne Cure, and followed the regiment. After six weeks, my skin was clear. I had the red spots left over from the pimples, that slowly began to fade, but, I had scarring. Not severe, but it bugged me. I started getting Intense Pulsed Light treatments after about a year, which helped the scarring some. Then, my skin broke out again. No idea why. Not as bad as the last time, but still with a few of the huge scarring pimples like last time. Took me awhile to get back on The Acne Cure treatment, but it has been almost 2 months since I started it, and am currently acne free on face! I have the red spots, and a little more scarring, but currently have absolutely NO active pimples. I also made some dietary, lifestyle and supplement changes. Here is what I do:

From the book, The Acne Cure: In the morning, “wash” face with a salicylic acid gel of 2% (I use one by Neutrogena) – not a wash or soap! Use a gel that is designed for spot control. Directions: wet face, then put small amount of gel on fingers and add small amount of water, then spread over face and leave on for 30 sec. to one minute. Wash off, and then apply 10% Glycolic acid gel. Leave on 10 minutes, and then wash off with water. Use lukewarm or just a little warm water. Then apply light moisturizer. At night, wash face the same way. Then take an ice cube and run it over face several times, but don’t freeze face. Apply benzoyl peroxide to face. Then take ice packs and paper towels. Lie down and apply ice packs with paper towels between packs and skin. Lay for 10 minutes. Don’t let skin completely freeze, just keep nice and cold. ( I know it sounds weird, but the cold helps the benzoyl to penetrate the skin and helps reduce the inflammation of current pimples.) Wait 20 minutes or longer, then moisturizer. If you try this, do it for at least 6 weeks. You may see improvement before then, but if not, stay with it for the full time. It took me 6 weeks to get clear the first time, and slightly longer the second time. After face totally clear for a month, can switch to a glycolic acid face wash in morning and just moisturizer. At night, gly wash, then benzoyl every other day or less, and moisturizer every night. At first sign of a problem, switch back to full regiment.

Diet: Obvious stuff, but eat lots of vegetables and fruit (especially fresh ones), whole grains and limit dairy and meat. Avoid packaged food as much as possible, same for fast food, junk food and caffeine. I know this sucks, but it is totally worth it if your face is clear. Not too much alcohol, although I think a glass or two of red wine a night is very good for you. Consider having oatmeal or a whole grain cereal for breakfast and a “green” smoothie: A handful of spinach, a handful of another leafy green like mustard or kale (buy them in the bags for convenience), a banana cut up, ½ cup to a cup of frozen blueberries and a cup or so of filtered water. Puree in blender. I know it sounds gross, but if you put enough of the blueberries in, it is a purple color and tastes a bit like the blueberries. It actually doesn’t have a strong taste, but if the taste is not quite to your liking, add some honey or other sweetener (just not too much, and use a natural sweetener, not refined white sugar or chemical sweetener). Salad for lunch – my favorite is leafy greens, cucumber, soy and garbanzo beans, tuna or salmon or hard-boiled egg, sliced almonds and a natural honey mustard vinaigrette.

Supplements: DermaKlear Akne Zyme or other skin multivitamin (needs to have Vit. C, B, Zinc), Alpha Lipoic Acid – 200 mg, Selenium – 200 mcg, and Vit. E – 200 iu

Exercise: Walk at least 4 times a week, 1-3 miles. Run if you can during part of walks, ½-2 miles. Take a shower afterwards to wash off sweat. Good to sweat, but can cause issues if left on body and not washed promply off. Extra credit - Yoga twice a week (great stress reliever, plus strengthens muscles, which helps to burn more calories - losing weight will help with acne too. )

Stress relief: Yoga, meditation, walking, nature gazing, baths-whatever works for you, just take time every day or two for yourself and chill out

Keys: right skin regiment, diet, supplements, exercise, stress relief = BIG ACNE IMPROVEMENT!

#13 Morgo

Morgo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

Oh, and water. LOOOOOOTS of water! Fresh and filtered. Get a filter pitcher. Keep a few bottles of water around for when you are one the go. The more water you drink, the more you will crave water - promise! IT is number one thing you can do for your skin and overall health!

#14 elfgirl

elfgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

I too still have it and I am 48. I think mine is caused by stress. About 6 yrs ago my hubby and I got fired from our jobs which in turn created lots of stress especially with 2 kids, mortgage, bills all of the everyday stuff and my skin went ballistic! . I broke out on my neck, in places where I didn't usually have zits, no matter what I tried or did, ate or didn't eat, I still broke out. Long story short, I have a steady job, so does my hubby though he is gone all week, both kids are in college, the youngest just went and I still have stress, but not like before. I still break out and now I have eczema and lines, and wrinkles to deal with. My skin is still oily and I think its genetics and hormones on my part. My diet is good 95% of the time, drink lots of water and I still deal with it! So the old adage(damned if you do, damned if you don't) applies to my case I think. Elf

#15 seekingpeace

seekingpeace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

sweetie i've had acne since i was 16, i'm now 42. the thing that's helped me dramatically is finding a real good medical estethician. she's taught me so much about my skin and how to take care of it. i went to so many dermatologist in my early years, finally stopped, guess why- because they don't do shit. they tried everything- every kind of antibiotic pill out there, every kind of bp and sa product, differen, wellskin, cyclomine, birth control pills, proactive, md forte, like a million retinol creams, and of course the daddy of all daddy meds- accutane. the worst experience of my acne life. i shutter everytime i read the posting's of all the people on that stuff.
sorry i'm ranting. my only advice i can give you is be gentle with your skin. your skin needs balance. be an acne detective. read the ingredients in your shampoos and face products.
good luck

#16 Elsewhere

Elsewhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

Adult acne is much more common than people think. Unfortunately, because society as a whole pegs it as only a teenage problem, those of us with adult acne often think that we're doing something wrong or that it's our fault - which is not the truth.

I'm 27 and my acne is not going away anytime soon. I'm glad you found us here and hope you find the support you need!

#17 creativeangel

creativeangel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but thought that I would try and offer my advice. I have been using a product called SensiClear for my acne. I am currently using their 30 day free trial and have been using it for just under a week now. I have to admit I was very reluctant to try it as I have used numerous others before and none have done what they claimed to do. So far though I am very happy with SensiClear and my skin does appear to look and feel much better. To give you some background I am a 31 year old woman and I have suffered with acne outbreaks since I was in my early teens. I have a number of acne scars and even these seem to be looking a lot better since I started using this product. The website if anyone is interested is www.sensiclear.com and they have a 30 day free trial.

Let me know if anyone uses it and the results they get, and I will keep everyone updated on my results too.

All the best,

Amanda

#18 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (elfgirl @ Aug 23 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too still have it and I am 48. I think mine is caused by stress.

The acne I got on my neck turned out to be caused by an allergy. And new allergies can be triggered or worsened by stress.