#1 The Caked Crusader

The Caked Crusader

Wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hey gang,

I only have one rolling scar and am considering a subcision.

Does this really work?
I've heard it's the best treatment for rolling scars.

Is this just a temporary fix?
I also heard that the rolling scar may come back.

How bad was your downtime?
Would like to hear about your own personal experience.

#2 pogo

pogo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

I had subscision for rolling scars and I'm glad I did it bc I see some improvement. The downtime is tough to say. You will bruise up. If you only have 1 rolling scar that's not bad, you will bruise in that area. I'd say you can go to work/school after 4-5 days. I had a lot more than 1 rolling scar so I bruised up real good. My doc said that the improvement following subsicion is permanent. Don't expect perfection. If you are looking for anything more than 20% improvement I'd say you will be disappointed. If you get more improvement than that, great, just don't expect it. People often get their hopes up immediately after the procedure because the swelling makes everything look smooth. Once the sweilling goes down your scars reappear with whatever improvement that has taken place.

#3 The Caked Crusader

The Caked Crusader

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Pogo.

20%? That would be after one treatment, I suppose. Wouldn't subcision have to be repeated a few times in order to achieve a higher percentage of improvement?

#4 The Caked Crusader

The Caked Crusader

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Bump.

#5 Dazarooni

Dazarooni

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

Subcision is the best treatment for rolling scars currently available.

You need to be patient though and you'll need multiple treatments. The swelling after subcision makes you think that your rolling scars have gone but after 5 days or so they'll come back to look just like they did before the treatment. But it's from here that the improvement will take effect and collagen builds over the next 6 weeks or so and gradually lifts the skin up to reduce the rolling effect of the scars.

You'll need at least 3 subcisions I imagine.

#6 PraisethelordforacneNOT

PraisethelordforacneNOT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Dazarooni @ Sep 13 2008, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Subcision is the best treatment for rolling scars currently available.

You need to be patient though and you'll need multiple treatments. The swelling after subcision makes you think that your rolling scars have gone but after 5 days or so they'll come back to look just like they did before the treatment. But it's from here that the improvement will take effect and collagen builds over the next 6 weeks or so and gradually lifts the skin up to reduce the rolling effect of the scars.

You'll need at least 3 subcisions I imagine.

Ok...Borrow the thread here a little bit..Does anyone know if there is a limit on how shallow the scars can be for subcision to be performed...Can anybody take a look at my rolling scars and say if subcision can be performed?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN8100kkkkkkkkkkkk_edited_3.jpg

#7 Dazarooni

Dazarooni

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

I don't see any reason why subcision wouldn't help much of your scarring. I'd look for a good doctor who performs subcision and make some enquiries. I think dermaroller would provide some extra improvement too.

Subcision is cheap compared to other procedures and multiple treatments should give decent results.

#8 The Caked Crusader

The Caked Crusader

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the breakdown, Dazarooni.

I'm planning to have as many subcisions as possible as to rid myself of this one rolling scar.

Does the subcision lift the scar up, and that's it - Or does it rectify the actual scar?

#9 Dazarooni

Dazarooni

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Subcision cuts the tethers of the bound down scars (rolling scars) that allows the skin to lift up to it's normal level. Some of these tethers re-attach though and that's why repeated treatments are necessary. You could say that it lifts the scar up but it's the freed skin which raises up close to a more natural level.

#10 The Caked Crusader

The Caked Crusader

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks again, Daz. Appreciate it.

Anyone know if what Pogo said is true? Or was I right when I pointed out that he got those results because he only had one subcision done? How much improvement can one expect if one has, like, three subcisions?

#11 Dazarooni

Dazarooni

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

I think the degree of improvement is down to the skill of the derm/doc performing the subcision.

I had my subcision treatments done by Dr. Chu who is good at it, he's thorough and knows what he's doing.

Everyone's skin heals differently and some will get really good results and others will get only slight improvements.

#12 pogo

pogo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've seen decent results from my subscision. My skin definitely looks smoother and I'm happy I had it done.

I only gave the 20% number as a way of saying not to get your hopes up too high. It's impossible to put precise %s on results from treatment. All that matters is that you look and feel better. Unfortunately treatments for acne scars are far from perfect, especially if you have bad scars. It is unlikely that your scars will ever go away. If you think you will come out of treatment with perfect skin you are in for a big disappointment. In most cases you can only hope to improve your scars' appearance.

As stated by previous posters, results depend on all sorts of factors that are unique to each person.

#13 God's Son

God's Son

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:49 AM

Hello all,
Just had subcision 2 days ago. Whole procedure lasted about 40 minutes including local anaesthetic. Still have swelling but am applying a topical antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
Heard alot of the popping sounds of the fibrous bands being cut which is good news and will post again after micro-swelling goes down to assess results.
I was on Accutane for a year 60mg per day which i finished 5 months before having this procedure. Performed on rolling scars on my cheeks (aged a year old or less).
Any questions just ask
Cheers

#14 nicole0671

nicole0671

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hey God's Son I was just wondering about your results. I hope it worked out for you.

#15 robertlapwing

robertlapwing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

With subcision there always the risk of additional scarring. If you only have one scar it may not be worth the risk. I would think about fillers as another option. Just remeber if we could get rid of any one scar for sure then we would be able to get rid of them all.

#16 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 68
About Me

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (God's Son @ Nov 2 2008, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all,
Just had subcision 2 days ago. Whole procedure lasted about 40 minutes including local anaesthetic. Still have swelling but am applying a topical antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
Heard alot of the popping sounds of the fibrous bands being cut which is good news and will post again after micro-swelling goes down to assess results.
I was on Accutane for a year 60mg per day which i finished 5 months before having this procedure. Performed on rolling scars on my cheeks (aged a year old or less).
Any questions just ask
Cheers

Can you tell me if you had any bruising? If so, how long did it take for the bruising to subside?
What percentage of improvement did you see? How long did it take for your swelling to go down?

I'm scheduled for my first round of subcision on Monday, March 16, 2009. eusa_dance.gif I have rolling scars on my left and right cheeks. redface.gif

#17 God's Son

God's Son

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hey thanks for your interest I would say improvement ranges from 40-60 percent from the subcision procedure. It depends on my mood and the time of day tho lol. The skin always looks best right after a sleep.
Yes I did have bruising which was persistent for about 4 days but i had it done on a Friday morning and had Friday thru til Monday off so by Tuesday it was hardly noticeable.

Cheers

#18 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 68
About Me

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (God's Son @ Mar 14 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey thanks for your interest I would say improvement ranges from 40-60 percent from the subcision procedure. It depends on my mood and the time of day tho lol. The skin always looks best right after a sleep.
Yes I did have bruising which was persistent for about 4 days but i had it done on a Friday morning and had Friday thru til Monday off so by Tuesday it was hardly noticeable.

Cheers

Will you be posting before and after photos?

#19 Sam

Sam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me
  • Interests:Ive lost interest in everything now.

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

I got 2 extra scars from subcision where the needle entered my skin.

#20 PraisethelordforacneNOT

PraisethelordforacneNOT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

I see that you have had subcision done by dr chu...was there any improvement in the scars? and how big where these scars that the needel created? Seems like a poor job from dr chu