willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (bumpyguy @ Jun 5 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also wondering if there are other things that PF sufferers have in common. Here are some things about me:

I'm lactose intolerant
I get severe migraines (aura/blind with pain)about 4 times a year
I have a chronic sinus problem, but manageable
I'm hardly ever sick, literally go for years with no colds or flu.

Just wondering if others here have these things in common...

No, I don't have any of those problems, but I do get PF (mild, but persistant - mostly on my chest and upper back/shoulders). Just wondering a few things about your history:

Have you taken antibiotics frequently or for long periods of time? I know this can trigger a case of PF in people or cause an existing problem to flare up again.

What is you diet like overall? Do you eat a lot sugars, yeasts, etc? I found that a very low sugar/low yeast diet helped me a lot. I also did a few rounds of antifungal supplements at the same time, which I think helped me. I found Olive leaf to be really helpful - if you look at some of the research on it, its one of the most potent antifungals out there. Before the development of antifungal medications, doctors sometimes used it to treat fungal infections. I also like oil of oregano (a few drops in a glass of water, 2x a day)

Have you tried topical mandelic acid? For me, that has been the most effective topical treatment. It might get a little pricey to use though, if your PF is widespread, but I really love the results I get from it.

I also found that rotating treatment products regularly (topical treatments, and supplements) really helps. PF seems to adapt to most treatment products eventually, and once it does, that treatment may not work as well in the future. I rotate my treatments at least once a month or so.

I am attaching an article I wrote on PF. It may help give you some ideas you haven't tried yet. Let me know if you have any questions. In case you don't want to read the entire document, here are some general recommendations I outlined in the article:

I would also make several general recommendations for dealing with this problem:

1. Kill the fungus topically AND systemically by using:

• Antifungal cleansers
• Leave-on antifungal treatments
• Oral antifungal supplements
• Dietary changes
• Products that exfoliate the skin

2. Important: Use multiple antifungal treatments at the same time (either topical or oral supplements, or both), and rotate them on a regular basis (e.g., every few weeks). Do NOT use the antifungal to the point where it stops working. From what I have read and through my and others’ experiences, once a product stops working, then it doesn’t work well again in the future.

3. Keep the affected area as dry as possible. Minimize use of moisturizers, creams, etc. For folliculitis on the body, applying Gold Bond Powder may help keep area drier – this may be particularly good for those living in humid climates.

4. If possible, stop using certain acne medications such as oral and topical antibiotics or topical antibacterial treatments like benzoyl peroxide. Other acne products such as retinoids may not help very much, as there is no clogged pore involved with folliculitis breakouts. If there is a combination of acne and folliculitis, it is probably okay to keep using retinoids, and other products such as salicylic or glycolic acid to treat the acne.

5. Foods to avoid : sugar and yeast containing products (bread, alcohol, etc,), processed/frozen foods, sandwich meat and other processed meats, dairy. Reducing dietary sugar may be very important, as fungus and yeast feed on sugars. According to those who support dietary methods of controlling fungal infections, omitting sugars and yeast helps to starve and kill off the fungus.

6. Also consider adding a probiotic to the diet, especially for those who have taken long courses of antibiotics for acne or other bacterial infections.

7. For body folliculitis, avoid clothing that is rough or that irritates the skin. Cotton clothing and cotton sheets are the best bet.

8. Don’t use fabric softener or harsh detergents on clothing or bedding.

9. Avoid sitting in hottubs/spas or taking really hot baths or showers.

Attached Files

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#42 bumpyguy

bumpyguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (willow569 @ Jun 6 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you taken antibiotics frequently or for long periods of time? I know this can trigger a case of PF in people or cause an existing problem to flare up again.

What is you diet like overall? Do you eat a lot sugars, yeasts, etc? I found that a very low sugar/low yeast diet helped me a lot. I also did a few rounds of antifungal supplements at the same time, which I think helped me. I found Olive leaf to be really helpful - if you look at some of the research on it, its one of the most potent antifungals out there. Before the development of antifungal medications, doctors sometimes used it to treat fungal infections. I also like oil of oregano (a few drops in a glass of water, 2x a day)

Have you tried topical mandelic acid?

No, I've never been a fan of antibiotics, the last time was back in the 80s.

I was discussing my diet with a homeopathic earlier today and he said that I really had a pretty low sugar intake. I was asking about the Candida diet and he said to delete sugars... I only have a bit of honey in my coffee, but then he said to get rid of coffee and honey altogether! LOL, so I guess that's going to be next.

I will try some of the things you've mentioned, thanks for posting those!

#43 MiseryLovesCompany

MiseryLovesCompany

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

Greeting fellow sufferers!

First off, my heart goes out to all of you. I know the pain and angst involved with all sorts of skin ailments.

Here's my tale: I have had skin issues since I was an infant (I'm now 48). My mother told me I had cradle cap as an infant and my earliest memories include pimples. As I child I had pimples in my arm pits and in my crotch pits. They were always cystic in nature and I spent countless hours squeezing them. I know, yech but it had to be done. As I got older I developed what was diagnosed as Folliculitis. Specifically, small surface pimples on my back, arms and sometimes legs and ass. (sound familiar)

I battled this for years and was even sent home from grammar school once because the nurse thought I had chicken pox. Not too humiliating huh? I suffered with it throughout High School too and wasnt allowed in the swimming pool because of it. Again, only slightly mortifying.

Like most sufferers, it gets worse in summer and clears up in winter. I learned to live with it my entire life. In the meantime, I saw dozens of Dermatologists and took piles of antibiotics and it never ever cleared it up.

When I got into my 40s, it started to get worse! For the first time, it or something seemed to move to my face! I would get these localized large bumps that seemed like hives and itched like hell. And then they would weep and get bigger. Yech again. I also would get cyst like pimples in different areas on my face. I was diagnosed again with Folliculitis - and of course given all the wrong medicines. This has gone on for the last seven years and has caused great heartache and concern. Particularly because I am an actor and the last thing you need is weeping things on your face. My god, it's humiliating.

About a year ago, I discovered the existence of Pityrosporum Folliculitis and I seemed to be the poster boy of it. Excluding the cystic acne I was prone to my whole life, the pimples on my back that I got at summer time clinched it. That and the fact that I never responded to antibiotics. Again, I diagnosed myself - ME - not ANY of the doctors. ME and the everloving internet that doctors cringe if you bring up. After 40 years, Doctor Me figured out what me had!

I've had a great dermatologist for the past few years and 7 months ago, I pitched to her that I would like to try Accutane to once and for all cure me. I was horrified of the reported side effects but really wanted to give a go as a last ditch attempt. So she green lit the prescription and I completed a five month cycle. I had the usual drying side effects, plenty of aches and pains, trouble sleeping but thank god none of the psychological ones. However, it was no picnic and I couldnt wait to finish it!

Concerning my skin, my back completely cleared up by the first month and stayed clear. My face also cleared up to the point where it looks like I am wearing makeup! It was nothing short of a miracle. This was the first time in 48 years I was pimple free! I even rejoiced being able to hug and swim with my two year old daughter. Elation to the highest degree!!

I might also add that a month after I finished the Accutane my eyes started to be extremely light sensitive and I started to be in excruciating pain. I went to an Opthamologist and was diagnosed with corneal ulcerations (that's holes in my eyeballs!). The doctor was furious that I was on Accutane and said I was on too high of a dose. My eyes have healed and my skin is perfect and I am the happiest man in the world!

I even have been having nightmares that I have pimples again - then I wake up and I'm so relieved I could cry.

And then guess what happened three days ago? My back completely broke out again! I was having a very stressful day and by night time I seemed to have a few pimples on my shoulders and neck. Nothing I thought. Then the next day, worse and the next day, even worse. Now I even have four of the super itchy large bumps on my face. Not cystic so I will assume it is part of the return of the Pityrosporum Folliculitis.

My god, talk about a steep fall! I really thought I was cured and I went through hell to get cured and now it's back a mere two months after finishing accutane! Talk about depressing! And I cant afford to be depressed with a two year old who is entering an intense crying faze.

My next course of action is to see my Derm in four days and try the anti-fungal medicine for the first time. I'm hoping I stay cyst free and this is a minor episode but I fear it is back for good. Kind of like the opposite of an old friend.

I'm open to hear anyone's thoughts!!

Best,
Steve

#44 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (MiseryLovesCompany @ Jun 25 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greeting fellow sufferers!

First off, my heart goes out to all of you. I know the pain and angst involved with all sorts of skin ailments.

Here's my tale: I have had skin issues since I was an infant (I'm now 48). My mother told me I had cradle cap as an infant and my earliest memories include pimples. As I child I had pimples in my arm pits and in my crotch pits. They were always cystic in nature and I spent countless hours squeezing them. I know, yech but it had to be done. As I got older I developed what was diagnosed as Folliculitis. Specifically, small surface pimples on my back, arms and sometimes legs and ass. (sound familiar)

I battled this for years and was even sent home from grammar school once because the nurse thought I had chicken pox. Not too humiliating huh? I suffered with it throughout High School too and wasnt allowed in the swimming pool because of it. Again, only slightly mortifying.

Like most sufferers, it gets worse in summer and clears up in winter. I learned to live with it my entire life. In the meantime, I saw dozens of Dermatologists and took piles of antibiotics and it never ever cleared it up.

When I got into my 40s, it started to get worse! For the first time, it or something seemed to move to my face! I would get these localized large bumps that seemed like hives and itched like hell. And then they would weep and get bigger. Yech again. I also would get cyst like pimples in different areas on my face. I was diagnosed again with Folliculitis - and of course given all the wrong medicines. This has gone on for the last seven years and has caused great heartache and concern. Particularly because I am an actor and the last thing you need is weeping things on your face. My god, it's humiliating.

About a year ago, I discovered the existence of Pityrosporum Folliculitis and I seemed to be the poster boy of it. Excluding the cystic acne I was prone to my whole life, the pimples on my back that I got at summer time clinched it. That and the fact that I never responded to antibiotics. Again, I diagnosed myself - ME - not ANY of the doctors. ME and the everloving internet that doctors cringe if you bring up. After 40 years, Doctor Me figured out what me had!

I've had a great dermatologist for the past few years and 7 months ago, I pitched to her that I would like to try Accutane to once and for all cure me. I was horrified of the reported side effects but really wanted to give a go as a last ditch attempt. So she green lit the prescription and I completed a five month cycle. I had the usual drying side effects, plenty of aches and pains, trouble sleeping but thank god none of the psychological ones. However, it was no picnic and I couldnt wait to finish it!

Concerning my skin, my back completely cleared up by the first month and stayed clear. My face also cleared up to the point where it looks like I am wearing makeup! It was nothing short of a miracle. This was the first time in 48 years I was pimple free! I even rejoiced being able to hug and swim with my two year old daughter. Elation to the highest degree!!

I might also add that a month after I finished the Accutane my eyes started to be extremely light sensitive and I started to be in excruciating pain. I went to an Opthamologist and was diagnosed with corneal ulcerations (that's holes in my eyeballs!). The doctor was furious that I was on Accutane and said I was on too high of a dose. My eyes have healed and my skin is perfect and I am the happiest man in the world!

I even have been having nightmares that I have pimples again - then I wake up and I'm so relieved I could cry.

And then guess what happened three days ago? My back completely broke out again! I was having a very stressful day and by night time I seemed to have a few pimples on my shoulders and neck. Nothing I thought. Then the next day, worse and the next day, even worse. Now I even have four of the super itchy large bumps on my face. Not cystic so I will assume it is part of the return of the Pityrosporum Folliculitis.

My god, talk about a steep fall! I really thought I was cured and I went through hell to get cured and now it's back a mere two months after finishing accutane! Talk about depressing! And I cant afford to be depressed with a two year old who is entering an intense crying faze.

My next course of action is to see my Derm in four days and try the anti-fungal medicine for the first time. I'm hoping I stay cyst free and this is a minor episode but I fear it is back for good. Kind of like the opposite of an old friend.

I'm open to hear anyone's thoughts!!

Best,
Steve

I'm so sorry to hear that and also getting worried since I'm on accutane as well at the moment. Can you post a pic of the Pityrosporum folliculitis?

Keep us updated with the progress on the anti-fungal!

God luck!

#45 MiseryLovesCompany

MiseryLovesCompany

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that and also getting worried since I'm on accutane as well at the moment. Can you post a pic of the Pityrosporum folliculitis?

Keep us updated with the progress on the anti-fungal!

God luck!
[/quote]

No sorry, no picks.

It's a little better. Bought some Novarel shampoo and have been using as a body wash. Interesting concept. I hope it helps.

And good luck with the Accutane! How are your side effects? How long will you be on it? Are you on it for Pityrosporum Folliculitis?

Steve

#46 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

The side effects aren't that bad after 1,5 months, but sometimes I get this weird headaches and vision problems. I'm going to be on it for 5 months i think.

I'm on it for what I think is a combination of Acne and Folliculitis.

#47 bufas

bufas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

I remember back when I was skiing and we were told to not shower in the morning for the cold ect. and I remember when I came back from the trip I noticed a lot of red bumps at my hair line and basically on my forehead. I didn't think much about it, and I guess it just went away on its own with water.

Almost 1½ months ago I started the caveman regimen which means no water touching my face, and showering became less frequent. It worked somewhat great, since I haven't really had any big pimple since I started, but for some reason I started getting a little scalp acne and forehead acne along with very few but still odd spots on chest and neck. I don't know about the body spots but the forehead I believe to be Pityrosporum Folliculitis or atleast a condition other than acne. Another reason to believe this, is that after the rare wash it would clear up the next days but then return after going like a week of no water. So, according to the past it should clear up with water alone, and I'm going to rinse it and shower more often from now on to see if it helps. For safety reasons I asked my mom to bring home some Nizoral shampoo, but right now I'm a little confused. It says Nizoral shampoo 1% with balsam(?) is that ok? I mean since it's going on my face aswell it doesn't sound very pleasent. Anyway do I just wash my hair with it and let it run down my face or should I apply it topically and how long do I leave it on? Also the tube is pretty small so I'm guessing small amounts?

I would really appreciate some help smile.gif

#48 Bacne_problem

Bacne_problem

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

100_3574_2.jpg 100_3574a.jpg

Hey guys, do i have PF? or acne?
I want to get rid of that and scars that I have, what would be my best choice in products to treat that?

#49 MiseryLovesCompany

MiseryLovesCompany

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

Looks like PF FOR SURE!!

#50 l41

l41

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

I think I may have this...

I've thought I've had "acne" for as long as I can remember, but I think it actually went a few years ago and I have this confused.gif I used to get a lot of spots on my face, I hardly get any these days.

I get outbreaks of tiny spots/bumps, most of them have white stuff in them. Its particularly over my chest, neck, arms and back. It's always very itchy and I've noticed it gets worse when its hot. All the little spots seem to have a hair in them too. My isotretinoin gel is the only acne med I have at the mo, it does not help whatsoever.

Its been very bad over the last 3 weeks, I figure now because the weather has been very warm and I ran out of Head & Shoulders!

I've convinced myself this is PF, what does anyone else think?

Gonna go to the chemist tomorrow and buy some 2% ketoconazole cream I think (and buy some more Head & Shoulders!)

#51 jp701

jp701

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

So I am new to this forum and I was wondering if I have P. Folliculitis. The dermatologist put me on doxycycline which I heard could flare up Pityrosporum Folliculitis so I really want to decide if I actually need to be taking these antibiotics. I had a clear body till about Winter 2008 and this has been the only summer where I haven't gone to the beach or anything. It is pretty depressing although I still had a great summer except for the body acne. Also I barley have any acne on my face. My arms weren't this bad until after I started doxycycline about a week ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCI0135.JPG
  • DSCI0136__2_.JPG
  • DSCI0136.JPG
  • DSCI0137.JPG
  • DSCI0138.JPG

#52 dan25

dan25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

could this be pf i saw a derm, but idk hes chinese and barely speaks english,
he gave me tetracycline and im on the regimen, no luck so far
also this appeared a month ago at 25 started off itching like hell
I think he shoud have done a skin test to see what this is.

#53 velvet21

velvet21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

Hi-- I was wondering if anyone else had a really, REALLY severe case of PF? I have it (I had a skin biopsy done, only b/c the derm had no clue what it was when I said I was itching so much, and the test came back showing PF). You would think that things would be fairly straightforward at that point. But they haven't been. I've tried two topicals, ketoconazole foam and selenium something (forgetting the name), and two oral antifungals, fluconazole and itraconazole. Neither worked, and I literally have PF over my entire body-- arms, legs, face, torso, everything. It's even in my ears. I'm getting to the point where I'm really down about it, because the dermatologist keeps saying the new things will work-- the itraconazole for example was supposed to have "dramatic" results and then nothing happens at all. Not to mention that I itch terribly almost all the time. I end up taking a bunch of antihistamines, but they don't do a very good job stopping the itch. I've been on Accutane before, and it'll work while I'm on it and for a while after, but then the problems have come back (acne in the past, now PF). The way things are shaping up, I'm wondering if it's going to be Accutane Round #3. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Can you give me any advice? I mean, I've tried everything I can think of-- cleaning up my diet and everything-- and I just feel kind of lost now.

#54 madelineee

madelineee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I have this on my forehead. Out of nowhere I started getting pimples (or so I thought) on my forehead..and it happened right around the time I took a plane ride to a place thats really humid. Now I currently have small pimples that sometimes become inflamed...Do you think I have this? I went to the derm and he thought that maybe it was just an allergic reaction because I had never gotten pimples on my forehead before, so he gave me some kind of steroid cream. It definitely helped with the itching but not so much with the actual bumps.

Would Lamisil work? the anti-fungal cream...i don't have the money to go out and buy stuff and this was in my medicine cabinet.

#55 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (madelineee @ Mar 6 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure I have this on my forehead. Out of nowhere I started getting pimples (or so I thought) on my forehead..and it happened right around the time I took a plane ride to a place thats really humid. Now I currently have small pimples that sometimes become inflamed...Do you think I have this? I went to the derm and he thought that maybe it was just an allergic reaction because I had never gotten pimples on my forehead before, so he gave me some kind of steroid cream. It definitely helped with the itching but not so much with the actual bumps.

Would Lamisil work? the anti-fungal cream...i don't have the money to go out and buy stuff and this was in my medicine cabinet.

Yes, Lamisil should have an effect if it's indeed Pityrosporum Folliculitis

#56 stopthemaddness

stopthemaddness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Is it possible to have PF but oily scalp?

#57 hobbs

hobbs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:30 AM

I have had pf for 7 years also had pityrasis versicolor (now treated) but pf ongoing. When it started i had ring worm apearing sores too! now gone and a blocked ear i still suffer from. Now i am in cancer recovery (diffuse large b cell lymphoma stage 3) parinoid the pf problem is the cause of cancer.

I recently have had traditional chinese medicine and reduced it quiet a bit. Herbs and aqupuncture. The tcm practicioner i went to gives health insurance rebate(australia) i know u got to be carefull with who u see but mine is good. They say this problem an internal oragn problem. Their treatment didnt get rid of it but significantly reduced it.

I have been thinking some diet can make it worse, mine nearly went completley away but i think coke a cola and red wine made it worse again. My chinese herbalist say stay away from red meat as well.

Can you please list the yeast foods to stay away from?

#58 LMAHD

LMAHD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

hey all.. question.. does exposure to UV rays worsen PF? i know that heat and humidity are bad for it.. but (this is pathetic of me, i know) im starting college next fall and really want to tan (in a bed as i live in a humid subtropical climate and tanning outside/naturally is simply nottt and option as it aggravates the PF wayyy to much). can i tan in a bed? will it have any adverse effect on the pf? my pfs annoying but limited to my face/chest/scalp. would some light tanning be safe?

thanks!

#59 troubledgirl86

troubledgirl86

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering, any of you getting positive results from ZNP soap?

#60 greentea1

greentea1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

------

Edited by greentea1, 29 July 2011 - 07:42 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users