75 replies to this topic

#21 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 53
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

Copied off the one I posted on a new board thinking I was adding to this. Sorry if you run acrossed it more than once...

Hello everyone. I am a 29 year old female. I am going to tell you what I have been through the past 2 1/2 months. I will try to put in as much detail as I can remember. I want to thank all of you for your posts as they have helped me feel so much better and I hope that what I have been through helps someone else.

Mid August I was started tetracycline for a cyst behind my ear BIG BIG mistake. I would give anything to go back in time and have not started that med because the thing behind my ear was nothing compared to what would follow. Before starting the tetra I had mild to moderate acne but nothing that bothered me much. My skin was never sensitive to face wash, BP, etc.

I was taking 2 500mg pills per day and was very careful to eat at the right times and to drink lots of water with it. By the 4th day I was itching on my cheeks, neck and chest so bad I decided to stop taking it. This was a Friday and I started taking benadryl that night for the itching. I spent the entired weekend in bed, itching and tired from the benadryl. On Monday I did not take the benadryl because I did not want to be tired at work. The itching was so bad that I went to the immediate care on my lunch hour. Te dr said he thought I was allergic to the tetra and to stop taking it (which I already had). He said sometimes it may take a week before what he called hives would go away. He said to give it a couple more days, continue taking the benadryl and call him if it didn't get better. 3 days later after taking benadryl around the clock I was still itching and it wa still there. Although the benadryl did help control the itching. I called him and he called in a script for a medrol dose pack. I checked about it on the internet and was scared to take it so instead I made an appointment with my family doc for the following week. The family doc said he thought most of it was acne and there might be ssome small hives. He said he was sensitive to me not wanting to take the medrol dose pack but thought it would help. He gave me a script for Hydrocortizone creme and said to apply to the rash. I tested the cream on one spot on my neck and immediately that spot and surrounding it got worse. I washed off the cream. I continued taking the benadryl to deal with the itching. The itching always got worse after a shower and in the heat which he said hives do that. By this point I'm totally depressed. I could no longer take baths because the heat made it worse and I have been taking cool showers ever since. I keep my house very cold and do everything I can to stay cool. I changed laundry soap to one for sensitive skin and washed everything because they suggested maybe contact allergic reaction or maybe from a food I was eating. I went two weeks with barely eating which I think was the cause of being so depressed and maybe the benadryl a little. I was so upset that I couldn't get it to go away and I din't feel like anyone knew what it was. I decided to start the medrol pack not knowing what else to do. I figured since 2 drs had told me to do it I should. I remember my family doc saying just take it and you will be back to normal in a few days. The medrol made me very hungry all the time and did help with the itching but nothing went a way. Everything was still there and I continued to get more. With the medrol pack (steroids) I took 6 the first day going down one pill a day. By the third day my feet and ankles were so swollen and hurt so bad I could hardly walk. I didn't know if I should stop it because it says you have to gradually reduce the dose and that you cannot just quit it. On the 3rd night I called the on call nurse at my family doc. She had em go the the ER. The ER Dr said to stop taking it and h didn't know about the rash acne, hives whatever it was. I was so frustrated. My husband thought I was nuts. I was so depressed that I couldn't or didn't want to interact with anyone. Going to work was a challenge. Everything was a challenge. I pretty much stayed in bed with a fan blowing on me because the air helped the itching and I couldn't do the benadryl anymore. I failed to mention that I had a nast yellowish/whiteish film on my tongue that would not come off. It didn't matter how much I brushed it. I also showed this to my family doc just to hear I think it will come off.

I'm sorry this is so long I just want to include everything. My gma had recently started seeing a new family doc who she really liked so I decided to make an appt. It took me two weeks to get in and she told me it was acne. I said no it isn't because it itches like crazy. She said thats becasue your face is dry, I can tell by lookig at it. I could deal with the way it look it was the itching and not being able to get in the warm shower that was making my life miserable. She did routine blood work and a complete physical that took 2 hours. I did really like her and felt she took her time with me but it didn't help. The blood work and the urine screen came back good. She referred me to a derm. So I waited close to a month for my appt. Nothing got any better. Some days were better than others but not much. Nights seemed to be the worst for me. I would wake up so many times with the itching.

So I went to the derm and he said its just acne. I told him I understood that I do have acne on my face but there is something else there. He wouldn't listen and spent less than 5 minutes with me. I couldn't believe I had waited a month for him to prescribe deifferin for the acne and allegra for the itching. He said it would help like the benadryl but with less side effects. He also told me to use proactive in the morning and thedifferin at night. The problem with that was my face and neck were so irriated, bump, itchy, etc. I was scared to put anything on it. The new family doc had told me to buy cetaphyl and use it until my appt with the derm. Even when I washed my face with the cetaphyl it made it look worse. The bumps would come up more and I couldn't control the itching. So here I am with new scripts to put on my face knowing that wasn't what was wrong. I had acne as long as I could remember and NEVER had anything as miserable than this. The derm said it had nothing to do with starting the tetra and was hormonal because of my age. I filled the scripts and about a week later I started with the proactive. It seemed to do okay after the first wash. It didn't help at all but didn't make it worse. The second day of it was another story. After washing my face it was red, itched as bad as ever and had a burning sensation. I did not use that again and did not try the differin.

My family doc had made a follow up appt. for me when I was there originally so when I went she said that she still thought it was acne and the derms report in her hand said the same thing. She told me not to use the allegra because she ddin't think it would help anything and to start the differin and I would be cleared up by Christams, lol yea right I told her. I can't understand them telling me to put all this stuff on my face when just water makes it look worse and itch. 2 days later it looked to me like my cheeks and eyes were swollen. When I would smile it looked like had food packed in my jaws and bags under my eyes. Although family said my cheeks are always like that when I smile. Im not sure I just stare at everything on my face now and everything looks a mess. I called the derm and he got me in the next morning.

We went over all the same things and he still said just acne. He didn't think my cheeks were swollen and said maybe under my eyes were a little. He gave me some other acne cream which I haven't used and don't plan on doing it. I asked him if it is acne tell me why it itches so bad and he said he doesn't know. He looked a little closer this time at the places on my face and neck and pointed out what kind of acne each spot was. He alsmost made it sound believable. I showed him my tongue for the first time and he looked at it with a magnifying glass. He gave me a script for a swish and spit mouthwash to use 2 times a day for 7 days. I asked him if there was a test he should do with my tongue to see if it is yeast and he said no because everyone has yeast in their mouth so the results wouldn't mean anything. I have only used it 3 times and my tongue is so much better. At least he helped me with that. I have asked him if this could be yeast that is itching my skin or if it could be parasites and he said no. He did say that because I feel strongly that there is something going on other taht acne he made me an appt for mid Novemeber with 10 derms. I guess once a month they have a meeting for hard to treat and hard to diagnose patients. They can only see 3 patients on these days and this month was full. He said then if 10 derms say its just acne than it is.

After reading everyone else stories on here I am going to demand a biopsy next time I go and I strongly believe it will result in a positive for the yeast stuff caused by the tetra. I never had any issues before starting that stuff.

Symptoms in short
red itchy bumps on neck, chest and cheeks that get worse with humidity, heat and the shower. Also stress seams to be a big factor in it flareing up. Yeast on my tongue. Believed by me to be caused by tetra. Do you think it is pf? I really do.

I did buy head and shoulders tonight and plan to wash my hair (which is very long) in it in the morning. Since it is my face and neck I am nervous about putting it on my skin. If it was my arms or back I wouldn't be so concerned. Has anyone used it on the face? What side effects did you have? If it isn't yeast that is causing all this will the head and shoulders make it worse? Has anyone had problems with yeast in the mouth? Any suggestions or feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading guys and the best of luck with yours. I know it truely is miserable and depressing.

#22 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

I am getting so angry reading your story! It sounds a lot like mine. Doctor after doctor barely looking at my skin, telling me it was acne and to exfoliate more. For two freakin' years! At the end I was scraping my face with a credit card! What is wrong with them?! I just can't believe this condition is so rare that they can't identify it! Okay, breath, calm down akko. I can totally understand how frustrated you must be- the itching was so maddening!

To answer you questions: it does sound like PF. A lot of people use Head and Shoulders to treat PF, but I prefer Nizoral. I found it more gentle, more effective and less drying than H and S, (although I still do use H and S from time to time). It shouldn't be a problem if you do a little patch test first and see how you react, even if you don't have PF. You don't need to leave it on for more than 3-5 minutes. If you can go get some Nizoral though, I'd recommend that. Do a patch test first if you want.

The only time I had a reaction to my pf treatment was when I forgot to wash off the H and S one night. When I woke up the next morning my skin was pretty red! The redness stayed for about a day, and then my skin flaked a lot. Aside from that, sometimes it makes my skin a tad dry and tight. Some people though are just allergic to some of the ingredients in those shampoos- which is why I recommend a patch test.

Are you going to see the same guy that told you flat out it wasn't yeast related? If you are, and it turns out you have PF.. let him have it!! razz.gif

akko

Oh, BTW: If you're going to use H and S, use Classic Clean- it won't have the extra moisturizing ingredients that could clog pores or irritate skin.

#23 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Yes it is the same derm but with 9 others. I hope 1 of the ten can help me. I didn't try the h&s yet but I do plan on it. Last night was pretty rough with the itching. When I woke up this morning it was miserable. Tons of new places on my cheeks and neck, arghh. I will post some pics this weekend.

Do you experience any new spots after getting out of the shower or putting water on it? Have you got yours under control now? Its so scarey to hear that this may never go away. I can't imagine living with this for the rest of my life.

Mainly everything I eat is either bread or pasta and the ONLY liquid I drink is mountain dew. I need to start changing that because it is probably making the situation worse. I am scard that it will spread to othe parts of my body. I just don't know what to do. I wish there was a doc that specialized in just this because I would pay whatever it cost to see them.

I meant to mention that I have only found 1 person on here stating that they got rid of theirs and it hasn't came back in over a year. I wonder if thats because once they get rid of it they don't think of posting anymore. If that is the case maybe there is some hope out there.

#24 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hey frustrated girl,

Mine is very well under control. It sometimes starts to come back a tiny bit, but then switching shampoos or leaving them on longer brings it down again. It's never gotten back to anywhere near the point where it used to be. And I never itch like I used to either.

You're right to think that most people who get rid of theirs probably don't come back on the site. I've read that it's supposed to clear up completely in most people, but that hasn't been the case for me. Personally I don't mind keeping up the routine for my face- I would use a face wash anyway, so it makes no difference if it's a dandruff shampoo. On my body and my hair it's another matter though- I don't like washing my hair every day! Right now I'm trying to kill the yeast from the inside with garlic and coconut oil. I also stay away from sugar since yeast will feed on it.

But don't worry about that right now- let's just see what happens. I really hope the H and S will help. Keep positive!

#25 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

How long did it take you to get it unnder control and the itching to stop? Do you still est bread?

#26 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

It took about 2-3 days for it to go down noticeably, and I was probably 90% clear after a week. After 2 weeks 99% clear. The itching only took 1-2 days to subside- but it wasn't as constant as yours sounds.

#27 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

I called my derm today because the stuff has spread to my legs, arghhh. It looks different then what is on my face and neck tho and it doesn't itch. I couldn't see waiting until mid November to see the team of derms and get some answers so I am scheduled for a biopsy on Friday. They will do 1 on my leg and 1 on my neck. He said each place will have to have 1 stitch so it sounds deep and I'm scared but hopefully it will tell what is wrong. I don't mind going through the biopsy if it results in answers. I asked him about yeast again and he said that usually only happens to people that are sick and don't have much of an immune system and that I don't fall into that category. I don't know if there is a way to check your immune system but all my blood work came back good.

#28 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Your derm should talk to the dozen of healthy people on here who suffer from folliculitis. rolleyes.gif I was and still am a very healthy person who rarely gets sick, and yet I suffered from it pretty badly. He might be thinking of a systemic fungal infection. That's when fungus invades your whole body, including your blood and that's a very serious condition that usually only happens to immuno-compromised people. But yeast overgrowth on the skin is very common- just think of how many people have dandruff!

But in any case, it's great that you're getting a biopsy to figure out what you have. I didn't think they had to do stitches for that though- you might want to look that up and see if that's common procedure.

In answer to your previous question: I couldn't live without bread! smile.gif

akko

#29 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

I had something like that once. I had it for months, wasn't as bad. I started taking a multivitamin and it went away in under a week. I'm suspicious that its a deficiency of something or maybe your wheat with extra wheat diet is causing some bacteria in your bowel to produce something that may be causing the allergy.

Either way, drinking caffeinated drinks like mountain dew when you have symptoms of hives is just asking for trouble.

Seriously, my advice would be just to go with the multivitamin for a week or so, that would rule out most of the vitamin deficiencies- doctors are really shit at spotting those.

-Temp123

Using a combination of topical ibuprofen (5% sports gel) on face together with 10% tea tree cream. The combo works really well, excellent clearance, invisible, no bleaching, zero irritation, no dry skin, just smooth, (mostly) clear skin.

Topical ibuprofen is available in supermarkets in the UK (own brands are cheapest).

#30 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

I go for the skin biopsy tomorrow. I am a little scared which I'm sure will turn to a lot of scared by morning. Has anyone ever had punch biopsy done? I have been reading online about them it seems like it may be a waste of time and pain. Do you know what all they will be testing for? The doc said it will be 4mm with a punch tool. Wish me luck with it and more importantly with results that help treat this.

#31 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (frustratedgirl @ Oct 30 2008, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I go for the skin biopsy tomorrow. I am a little scared which I'm sure will turn to a lot of scared by morning. Has anyone ever had punch biopsy done? I have been reading online about them it seems like it may be a waste of time and pain. Do you know what all they will be testing for? The doc said it will be 4mm with a punch tool. Wish me luck with it and more importantly with results that help treat this.

Good luck.

Post here as soon as you get the results:)

#32 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Went for the biopsy and the derm said e wasn't going to do it, arghhh. He swares it is nothing but acne and the new bumps on my legs is from dry skin. He told me I really needed to give the differin a try and then go to the appt. with the many derms to see what they think. It will be up to the group of derms if they do the biopsy. I used the differin last night and will start a new thread on my journey with it. I will post back here after the appt on 11-18.

#33 frustratedgirl

frustratedgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

Today was my appt with the 20 derms I had mentioned above. It was a quick visit, consisted of my derm and alll the other ones coming in the room. My derm gave a quick recap to everyone and then they all looked at me. They asked a few questions and then met with each other to talk. My derm came back in and said everyone thinks it is either yeast or hormonal, lol. I have been asking if it was yeast for some time now... He said he wanted to run labs and check my hormone levels (why didn't you do this after my 1st, 2nd or 3rd appt I was thinking). In the mean time he gave me a script for an oral anti fungal med. 200 mg a day that I am to take Mon, Wed and Fri for 3 weeks. He said no need to test for yeast because all results come back positive since everyone has yeast. I wonder to what degree though. Shouldn't there be a way to test how much yeast? He said if I am better after 3 weeks then yeast is the problem and if it doesn't help then its not. He said the only side effect I would likely notice is a metalic taste in my mouth and that if it isnt yeats, taking the med wont hurt anything. I am wondering if I should give it a go or not. What do you guys think? Has anyone had experience with taking the oral med? Also he said we may try spironolaqctone if the lab work suggest hormones. My face isnt oily though and I heard hair loss is a side effect of that. So here I am still not knowing what to do. I leave for FLA on Fri and am worried the humid weather may make this stuff worse, ughh.

#34 Amatista

Amatista

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:29 AM

If my facial bumps never itch, does that rule out the possibility of PF?

#35 tommycotter

tommycotter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Hey all..... just skimming through your post.I suffer from a similar problem for the last year with ichy spots and hives..... long story short is ive had 7 blood tests and a skin biopsy and all negative so therefor in the doc eyes i dont have a problem ....... done alot of research and have come to the conclusion i have candida..... so i tried the candida diet..... within days i noticed a difference the itching for one stopped i still get hives but ive only just started the diet.I also started a course of probiotics........ I ve been where you are now. try the diet you've nothing to loose. Hopefully you ll see results within a few days.....

Best of luck

#36 mr.pf

mr.pf

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:11 AM

So far I've been using over the counter nizoral shampoo 1% and selsun blue with selenium sulfide 1% about twice a week, three days apart. It's keeping me relatively clear with no itching with a few spots popping up here and there under my arm pit and upper back.

My question is should I attempt to get prescription strength ketoconazole 2% cream?

#37 bumpyguy

bumpyguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

I have had PF since I was 14. I'm now 50 yr old male and believe it or not, it's worse now than ever. I go through periods where I actively, daily battle it and do what I should. This means using a medicated soap and a BuffPuff cleansing pad and then 97 percent isopropyl alchohol with cotton pads. These two things have been able to just about wipe it out or at least calm it down for the duration. But when I stop or go camping or sit in the sun or get hot or skip a shower? Right back where I started. Mine cover the backs and fronts of my upper arms, my sides (under my arms) and my buttocks. The last time I went to a dermatologist (back in the early 90s) she said there was nothing she could do and added that my case was the worse she'd ever seen. I have extensive scarring (little brown spots from healed-then-tanned bumps) THANKFULLY, I don't have any on my face, forearms or neck or back. Otherwise, I'd be totally covered. I can go in public and keep the affected areas covered easily. You'd never know there was anything wrong. But when it comes to intimacy? That's when I take a week beforehand and make sure they are calmed down to the point I don't feel inhibited. Otherwise it's a train wreck.

I'm basically posting here to let you know that Neutrogena acne soap and 97 percent isopropyl alchohol are the best things I've tried and I've literally tried EVERYTHING over the last 36 years, every acne medication (including Proactiv, far too expensive and doesn't work) and every diet, every method (including literally sanding them off with 001 grit sandpaper and then applying medication). Yeah, that stung but it did work for about a week. Of course, they came back.

The hardest part is knowing that PF will never go away altogether, at least according to what I read and see online. I thought when I got older, my hormones would slow down and they'd dry up. Nope, worse than ever. But at least I can control them when I'm constantly taking an active part and doing it daily.

I want to also thank whoever wrote about the anti-fungal cream and shampoo. That has helped me some and realizing that it's fungus-based has me looking at this in a whole new way. I'm going to try some stronger anti-fungal medications and see what happens. I've also heard that a diet that is alkaline in nature is a big help for systemic fungal infections, so you just need to look up acidic vs. alkaline diets and see what you might be able to control on your own. FYI, alkaline diets also help fight cancer, so it's probably good to do anyway.

#38 bumpyguy

bumpyguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm also wondering if there are other things that PF sufferers have in common. Here are some things about me:

I'm lactose intolerant
I get severe migraines (aura/blind with pain)about 4 times a year
I have a chronic sinus problem, but manageable
I'm hardly ever sick, literally go for years with no colds or flu.

Just wondering if others here have these things in common...

#39 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (bumpyguy @ Jun 5 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also wondering if there are other things that PF sufferers have in common. Here are some things about me:

I'm lactose intolerant

Hi there and welcome to the boards.

Are you sure it's Pityrosporum Folliculitis you have? You say you just found out it's caused by fungus!!!??!! After 36 years...

If you are certain it's Pityrosporum folliculitis and haven't tried oral Ketoconzole I would get on that drug as soon as possible.

Good luck to you!

#40 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (bumpyguy @ Jun 5 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm lactose intolerant

Hi, I have PF but I luckily don't suffer from any of those ailments- although I also hardly ever get sick (except this year for some reason). I think there is a genetic factor that makes certain people more prone to PF- and they are probably the same people that are prone to dandruff. I don't know if it's a skin ph or something that makes us more prone to yeast overgrowth.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users