Pityrosporum Folliculitis - FAQ

94 posts in this topic

I have a feeling I have pityrosporum folliculitis. Can someone look at the pictures and tell me what they think?

It's really affecting my life.. Is there any way to cure it without going to a derm? I've been using nizoral 1% and I think it's been helping a little bit

Hi! I started having tiny bumps that itch so much on my neck and chest , collarbone too like 1 month ago, I got a bit of acne on my face and I have alway had it so I get tetracicline 500mg to clear that up cause I thought it was acne, right after I took the tetracicline sort of an allergy appeared on my checks , tiny bumps too but tones of it but this ones did not itch, researching about this I found this post and I tought I could have pityrosporum folliculitis, so a week and a half ago I get ketoconazole 200 mg and started to take this pills, I took one daily for 5 days and did not see any imporvements, so I decide to take two daily (morning and night) and 3 days later I see it started to clear on my chest and collarbone, now 4 days later I'm completely sure this thing is really working, it's clearing up, and it does not itch anymore, but about my face Im not that sure, the tones of tiny bumps have dry out a little, and I broke out too many whiteheads on my jawline so today I started to use a toner of salicylic acid only on my face an neck ( CLEAN&CLEAR for sensitive skin) also three days ago I started to take 3-4 cups of green tea a day and haven´t broken out since I started. sorry aboout my english Im not native american speaker.

Update: now is december 28 I took ketononazole for 3 or 4 weeks and that really cleared up all in my neck, chest and collarbone, I have anything on that area but scars, also I have less bumps on my checks but I'm breaking out a little on my forehead, also I remember that the green tea made break out so bad, so im not taking that anymore, I'm doing an only water regiment to clear all my acne on my face I also have dermatillomania so I'm dealing with the scars I got from my picking on my face and chest, many things happening on my skin right?

If you have thousands of tiny bumps like that itch on your chest and collarbone try ketononazole two pills a day that's really good.

Edited by esteban211
1 person likes this

I've had pityrosporum folliculitis for over a year before finally being properly diagnosed yesterday by my derm. She had me on the antibiotic Doxycycline for 4years, then I started getting this rash on my back and chest. I was prescribed 1oral antifungal tablet 200mg and the Lobrox cream topical. Its only day 2 but it seems slightly worse, but not sure.

Has anyone had longterm success getting rid of this?

I used to put cortisone on it before I knew what it was, and it would help tremendously, but it always flared up again every few weeks or so.

I'm so sad, and feel so helpless and hopeless :(

ive got that on my forehead not long ago, im using nizoral since a week or more, and it helped a bit but it kinda always come back, never 100% clear. is that normal ?

1 person likes this

My son has PF on forehead, chest, back and shoulders, in addition to acne. Tried T-Gel and T-Sal shampoos, they seemed to help at first but results didn't last. Tried Nizoral based on several positive reviews on here and already seeing improvement after only 3 uses! And he didn't even leave it on. Going forward I'll recommend he leave on 3-5 minutes before rinsing. FYI, using Nizoral in conjunction with the Acne.Org Body Regimen and his back and shoulders are looking so much better!! PIH is fading too!!!

Acne Survivor! The Acne.Org Regimen brought a 24-year battle with acne into remission (2008). Acne resolved on its own about a year later and no longer need treatment. Been acne-free for 6 years (and counting!) except for the random zit. Still dealing with red marks, combination oily/dry skin, enlarged pores, some minor ice pick scars. Returned to Acne.Org in 2014...my son is beginning the Regimen...here we go again!

"I have strength for everything through him who empowers me." Philippians 4:13
ribbon-large.jpg

My son has PF on forehead, chest, back and shoulders, in addition to acne. Tried T-Gel and T-Sal shampoos, they seemed to help at first but results didn't last. Tried Nizoral based on several positive reviews on here and already seeing improvement after only 3 uses! And he didn't even leave it on. Going forward I'll recommend he leave on 3-5 minutes before rinsing. FYI, using Nizoral in conjunction with the Acne.Org Body Regimen and his back and shoulders are looking so much better!! PIH is fading too!!!

Is this the product he uses?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171741505724?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just leave on for a few minutes and rinse in the shower? How often, once a day?

Thanks.

Edited by RonaIdo
1 person likes this

Is this the product he uses?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171741505724?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just leave on for a few minutes and rinse in the shower? How often, once a day?

Thanks.

Yes that's it! I'd wash hair, plus face, back and shoulders (and any other affected areas), leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse. You can also purchase the active ingredient ketoconazole in a pill form from what other members who replied to this thread have said, and those who also did this reported good results. So it's something you can look into as well.

1 person likes this

Acne Survivor! The Acne.Org Regimen brought a 24-year battle with acne into remission (2008). Acne resolved on its own about a year later and no longer need treatment. Been acne-free for 6 years (and counting!) except for the random zit. Still dealing with red marks, combination oily/dry skin, enlarged pores, some minor ice pick scars. Returned to Acne.Org in 2014...my son is beginning the Regimen...here we go again!

"I have strength for everything through him who empowers me." Philippians 4:13
ribbon-large.jpg

Yes that's it! I'd wash hair, plus face, back and shoulders (and any other affected areas), leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse. You can also purchase the active ingredient ketoconazole in a pill form from what other members who replied to this thread have said, and those who also did this reported good results. So it's something you can look into as well.

Thanks, will order it and give it ago. I'm 19 years old and I've had what I thought was acne since I was about 15. Had a few trips to the Doctors, tried various treatments/medications with none working at all. Went the the Doctors a few weeks back and was told it's PF, not acne, so we'll see :).

Edited by RonaIdo

Been using for a week or so, no change on my chest but will stick with it. Pill form ketoconazole with banned in 2013 in the UK due to risks with the liver. Which H&S product are people using?

Hello. This might be my first time posting here.  I will provide some information on medications that have worked for me. 

There is a newer cleanser/wash with mild sodium hypochlorite (bleach), and seems to be patented, as I haven't found another product like it. It is approved by the National Eczema Foundation and listed on their site. It works wonders for an OTC product and states folliculitis is one of things it works for. They have multiple versions of the product, some have salicylic acid, some don't, some have more salicylic acid, some have a little more sodium hypochlorite. The bleach in the product is not strong enough to bleach out hair or clothes though.

Another product that works really well is Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% - Sulfur 5% wash/lotion. This requires a prescription. Sulfur and Sodium Sulfacetamide both have anti-bacterial properties, sulfur less so, but sulfur also helps shed dead skin cells, allowing the chemical to get to the follicle.

Both of the products I've mentioned work without you having to worry about accidentally bleaching your clothes, hair, or eyebrows, like you would with 10% benzoyl peroxide. The products I've mentioned seem to work better than ketoconazole 2%, zinc pyrithione 2%, or chlorhexidine gluconate 4.0%. The two products might work the same as using a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash everyday, but with way less irritation. Clindamycin 1% also works well for spot treating, but can't be used all over the body, as in my situation. The bacteria build a tolerance to Clindamycin easily, according to my dermatologist. Please try these, if nothing else has worked for you.

In my case, antibiotics work as long as you are taking them, but once you stop, you will break out at some point like you have never seen before. You can take 200 billion active probiotics, immunity mushrooms, colostrum, immunity herbs, vitamins, green foods, AHCC, high PH water, etc., daily (I have tried), but nothing will destroy the more severe cases of folliculitis permanently. Staph is everywhere, and some people's skin just can't fight it off.

Edited by folliculitisking

I have had acne in the past, throughout my teens and have been on accutane twice (when I was 18 and 21). Seven years on my skin was pretty good up until a few months back. I put it down to stress at the time. However, this type of acne was so aggressive so I did question if it was, acne or something else.
Now I know that its Pityrosporum folliculitis. I found taking probiotics have helped me get my skin under control. However, it has flared up again and I put this down to stress, alcohol and gluten. Just one beer is enough to set it all off again. Also I avoid alcohol, and any alcohol based skincare products including shampoos with pantenol. The annoying thing is I have really dry skin but the itchiness is really the worst.

I am guessing there is a fine balance between the benficial bacteria and fungi on your skin, using aggressive skin care can destroy the balance and that's when
Pityrosporum folliculitis wreaks havoc. Edited by CuddlyCity

Hello,

I am so glad I found this message board!  I have been to the dermatologist, was put on antibiotics Epiduo, ect. I have bought everything you could imagine. Have tried every home remedy possible to get rid of these bumps.  I had a stinking suspicion that these bumps were not acne.  As my cheeks would get pretty irritated as well and they wouldn't pop like acne. They were just different.  I entertained the idea that they may be flat warts.  But after unsuccessfully treating them, I gave up on that idea. Then I stumble upon here and all the pictures and the confusion was just like my scenario.
So last night I went and bought some lotrimine as well as used head and shoulders as face wash.  I plan on buying
Nizoral,tonight.  And my face looks so much better OVERNIGHT! I will share a picture of my face last night and then this morning. The top half was last night ( my husbands phone, I have no idea why it makes me ten shades tanner than I really am..but I'm going with it;) )   The bottom was this morning.  My tzone area is almost completely clear! I have battled this for YEARS and am ecstatic that I finally found something that appears to be working. I will keep posting pictures as my skin progresses. Assuming it will! Fingers crossed. P.S. it is very difficult to take a good picture of your forhead. I'm certain I have 20 selfies of my forhead on my cell.  SMH.

Collage 2015-11-05 06_36_05.jpg

I used to have clear skin on my forehead and occasionally get two pimples or so around that time ...  After a trip to NYC i started getting little white colourless bumps all over my forehead, could it be because of the heat and pollution there?

I thought they were acne and started treating it as if they were, but they just would not go away. So after 4 months of trying to get rid of them, i gave up. Then i went on a vacation to mexico..Let me tell you after a week they diminished , i did however go in the sea a lot. 

Anyways they came back to haunt me shortly after. I finally decided to do a proper research on what they could be and found out that they could be folliculitis and it matched my description pretty well. I haven't been diagnosed or went to a dermatolagist because i think they are a waste of money .

Description of how they look:

Skin coloured bumps.

Some times red and they have like a microscopic hair coming out them

they Don't itch 

apear  when i use shampoo 

cleared a bit with the ocean 

Does anyone else have this? And if so how did you clear it? help!

has anyone used Selsun Blue? if yes does it work

Selsun has never worked for me very well....it does work for some people so it's definitely worth trying.

I was in the same boat as you about six months ago. I had no idea what to believe online because everything seemed to be an advertisement. I actually read a personal review about pityrosporum folliculitis treatment and it seemed like the person had great success using the product so I gave it a try. I couldn’t have been more excited about the results, as I am now folliculitis free than when I first started using it. The article was very helpful to me -- if you want to check it out yourself you can read it here” {LINK REMOVED}

Edited by Control Panel
blog w/ advertisement

Get a filtered shower head!!!! You will be amazed how your water is damaging your skin and hair. A filter will filter chemicals making your hard water softer. Trust me, I have tried everything before I started washing my body with only filtered water. Wash your face with combinations of honey, lemon, and coconut oil. Thayers Witch Hazel (No Alcohol) as toner. Use aloe Vera gel as moisturizer. Tea tree oil is great too. Best of wishes.