zinc red mark

5 replies to this topic

#1 Azeline

Azeline

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:53 AM

I have been strolling this board searching how people thought about some populair over-the-counter products which are also available in the Netherlands. Like L'oreal Pure Zone, and Vichy Normaderm.

Myself I have bought Vichy Normaderm's cleanser, hydrating care and nightcream a while ago. Too bad I bought this BEFORE looking into possible harmful ingredients. The cleanser seems okay, I use it twice daily.
But the hydrating care has alcohol denat in it as second ingredient! Also, I looked at ingredients of all other anti-blemish moisturisers like L'oreal, Garnier, La roche Posay --> they all have quite some amount of alcohol denat in it. Isn't this bad?
I haven't noticed the Normaderm hydrating care making things worse after using it for two weeks, except it does feel very drying on my skin (it looks beautiful and really does help red marks. No reduction in whiteheads though, and amount still spreading, but now that I stopped using it they still spread so that didn't cause it, I think). I am afraid to use it now. I think the zincadone works but am afraid of the amount of alcohol denat. Anyone's opinion? Howcome a product with that much alcohol denat gets so many good reviews here on acne.org product reviews?

The nightcream doesn't contain alcohol. Feels very nice too. But... it contains algae extract which I now read to be highly comedogenic? So I no longer have the guts to use that one as well.
I hope anyone can help.
My regimen (still figuring it out a bit, so any tips are welcome):

Morning:
- Vichy Normaderm cleanser VERY shortly (too long is irritating)
- Dab infected spots with 'Molkosan' (lactic acid? Not sure... it's homeopathic, Dutch product.)
- La roche Posay Effaclar K serum

Night:
- Vichy Normaderm cleanser (shortly again)
- Dab infected spots with Molkosan, or sometimes use water with a little lemon as a toner and wash off again (otherwise it'll burn, which cannot be good)
- Little sudocrem on red spots

#2 ~Dayna

~Dayna

Duh. Duh. Duh.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:30 AM

Algae extract is extremely bad. I made the mistake of using a moisturiser with that and I break out full blown acne and took nearly 3 months to recover. eusa_naughty.gif eusa_naughty.gif I strongly recommend you NOT to use that. Too risky unless you are willing to take the rest. ninja.gif

My Regime Log

(Started on 9 July 2008)

Morning:
- Nuxe Micellar Foam Cleanser with 3 Roses
- Dan's Treatment 2.5% BP
- Nuxe Anti-Shine Fluide Prodigieux
- Dan's Jojoba Oil

Night:
- DHC Cleansing Oil
- Nuxe Micellar Foam Cleanser with 3 Roses
- Dan's Treatment 2.5% BP
- Nuxe Creme Etincelante
- Dan's Jojoba Oil

Daily:
- Manuka Honey UMF 10+

#3 Azeline

Azeline

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:11 AM

Was afraid of that. Luckily I haven't broken out awfully on it (yet) after using it for a while, but no improvement either. But I didn't like the way my clogged pores were spreading.

I won't use it for another while. So stupid that they put comedogenic stuff in anti-blemish solutions. Especially didn't expect that from Vichy, which normally is quite a good brand.

Any opinions on the use of alcohol denat?

Morning:
- Dab infected spots with 'Molkosan' (lactic acid? Not sure... it's homeopathic, Dutch product.)

Night:
- Dab infected spots with Molkosan, or sometimes use water with a little lemon as a toner and wash off again (otherwise it'll burn, which cannot be good)

#4 Azeline

Azeline

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:29 AM

*sigh* Algae extract is in their foundation as well! Too bad I didn't look into ingredients before I decided to buy all kinds of normaderm stuff. eusa_wall.gif So far only the cleanser works okay for me.

I am going to test the foundation locally a litter longer, just to see what happens. I don't like it as a foundation anyway (hardly like anything as a foundation) so I use it as a conceiler. Certainly am not going to use it on my whole face now! Just apllying it locally to see if I keep breaking out there. Then I'll know it's the algae extract making it worse.

Also emailed Vichy, asking why they put algae extract in their products when this is highly comedogenic. I'll get back on this topic when they answer smile.gif

Morning:

Night:

#5 Bunney

Bunney

Rawr

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:family, music, all sorts of animals, friends, writing, literature, art, reading, shopping, internet, webcomics, anime/manga, old-school gaming (N64 all the way!!) makeup/beauty regime, finding ways to clear my face up...CHANGING THE WORLD

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

Algae extract may be comedogenic but that doesn't necessarily mean it will break you out/clog your pores straight away. Everyone has different skin which reacts to different triggers. But if you noticed more clogged pores appearing on the area where you applied the Vichy night cream then I would stop using it for a weeks and see if the clog pores/whiteheads keep appearing or not.
I never tried out the Vichy Normaderm regime but I also live in the Netherlands and I use this moisturizer from De Tuinen called Hydro-Dag. It claims to have many vitamines and antioxidants in it, but I like it since its a light, nice moisturizer that does not seem to be causing me any more clogged pores... Also I use AHA (2% gel) from Paula's Choice at night which is a beautiful chemical exfoliate. I definately recommend trying out her products and her European headquarters is in the Netherlands as well so shipping isn't too expensive.
"And how can anyone not see that pair of angelwings strapped to your back?"

#6 Azeline

Azeline

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for your reply!
Wow I didn't know Paula's Choice was available here! biggrin.gif I'll check into that if effaclar doesn't work in the long run. But right now I am quite happy with it, determined to use the whole tube before coming to conclusions and not very willing to buy yet another product since I've already spent too much money on the Normaderm line smile.gif

De Tuinen has good stuff, does the hydro-dag have spf? I have Oil of Olay Definity spf15, which I used for a long time without problems. But that was before my skin started acting up like this. Now, I am afraid to use it since it does contain a lot of comedogenic ingredients, even though it claims to be noncomedogenic. So before travelling off to Spain, I am going to check into some sunblock-topics here! Already saw a lot of them.

Morning:

Night:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users