Photo

Paraben Allergy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Paraben Allergy (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think / have an allergy to parabens?

1. Yes (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Do you think / have an allergy to parabens? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

How did you find out you were allergic to parabens?

1. Dermatologist (suggested/tested/determined) (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. On my own (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Just looking into (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 vrizzard

vrizzard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

I have suffered from acne since my late teens and I am now in my late 30s. After all of the heartache, pain both physical and mental, as well as time, energy and money dealing with acne, I recently found, by-chance, that I have an , which was causing most of my skin irritations or what I thought was acne.

One day I happened to finally try one of the countless samples that I had. These were a set of both a cleanser and moisturizer, which afterward I thought was ingenious because it made me not combine these products with any of my existing products. Well, when I went to wash my face for the night I noticed that my skin was not at all red like it usually was. The next day I saw even more amazing results.

Ever since then I have rid all of my health and beauty from any parabens and continue to see incredible results. I should note that parabens were in almost ever single personal care product I had from skincare to make up to hand wash and lotion. It was crazy. I basically had to replace everything I had. But it has been worth the it (time and money). Any acne I develop now disappears almost like magic compared to just months ago while parabens were prevalent in my my personal care products as long as I do not pick them. Picking is bad. Of course we all know that, but, I know, sometimes that seems to be the only way to relieve the pain.

I just had to mention this because acne can be irritated easily and you never know what could be irritating yours. It took me years, literally to figure this out for myself.

#2 Kriszti

Kriszti

It's not easy being green.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

Do parabens go by another name by any chance? How would I identify if a product contains parabens?

#3 vrizzard

vrizzard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Kriszti @ Aug 11 2008, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do parabens go by another name by any chance? How would I identify if a product contains parabens?

Kriszti,

Paraben is the family name for synthetic preservatives and they go by several names. You have to search through the ingredients of each product. Most common is the word paraben at the end of methly, ethly, proply, butly like methlyparaben, but there are many others. Searching the ingredients, you will eventually key-in on the word paraben. to help me remember, I printed the following list from ECOMALL at "http://ecomall.com/g...g/cosmetic.htm" (sorry, I cold not get the link to work) and keep it in my wallet always.

Paraben is the family name for the following permutations of the ingredient found on a common product ingredient label:

• Butylparaben
• Ethylparaben
• Methylparaben
• Propylparaben
• Benzyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid)
• Methyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid)
• Ethyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid)
• Propyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid)
• Butyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid)
• Parahydroxybenzoic acid (p-hydroxybenzoic acid)
• Parahydroxybenzoate (p-hydroxybenzoate)

This can be a bit daunting, but it might be well worth it. I know it was for me. Once quick tip that many websites list ingredients and you can do a [Control F] find search in Internet Explorer for the word paraben and it is very quick. My skin no longer hurts and most acne I get goes a way very fast since I stopped using anything with parabens.

Note that parabens are not just in cosmetics. I recently visited my dentist and was told it is in the Novocaine shots. Great, huh.

Discovering that I have allergies to parabens has been a lifesaver.

Best wishes!

#4 Don't Bug Me

Don't Bug Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have a paraben allergy. I did not discover it until my twenties, but I don't think I had developed a serious allergy until then. Allergies usually start out as small irritations, but repeated exposure increases the reaction over time. I believe I developed this allergy because of repeated exposure to parabens on broken skin. I have read a lot about it, it is a very uncommon allergy, but more common in women because of makeup and moisturizer use (paraben is an emollient.) Normal allergy tests for it don't work, because of something called the "paraben paradox." It's too much to go into here, but google it.

As a previous poster mentioned, nearly all cosmetic products contain paraben (it's a common preservative and filler) and from the age of 13 when I first started getting acne, I was slathering myself in foundation, creams, and other things containing paraben. As I got older, I had less acne but more dryness and flaking, which led to frequent exfoliation followed by heavy moisturizer. My weapon of choice: Vaseline.

I first realized I had an issue when I developed a small shallow wound on my face that would not heal, half the size of a pea. It would weep, crust over, flake, and repeat. It was also slowly enlarging. I tried everything to heal it, including cortisone that would work temporarily but then break me out in a rash (a reaction to the cortisone.) I talked to a doctor who told me to stop all cortisone treatment, and to keep stuff off my face, including all makeup, moisturizer etc. I was horrified of course, I had not been barefaced in public in years.

I looked all over the internet for another solution and possible causes, and alas, stumbled on paraben allergy. I ended up throwing out all my makeup containing paraben: all my foundations, concealers, moisturizers, and cream-based makeup had to go. Amazingly, my face started to heal. A lot of other issues that I had that I largely ignored also cleared up. The wound was gone after a few weeks, and overall my skin was a lot happier.

I have switched over to full mineral makeup now; this is after running the gamut of other "all natural, preservative free" makeups. Be careful what you choose. A lot of companies outright lie in their advertising. Powders are safer than liquids, but always check the ingredients label. Also be aware that not all mineral makeups are created equal. Some brands are really crappy and are just in it to cash in on the gimmick appeal (Bare Escentuals.) Others were genuinely formulated for people with skin issues in mind (Jane Iredale.)

As for moisturizers, soaps, etc, go to your local health food store. I use only simple and pure products, not because I'm some paranoid health nut, but because if it has very few ingredients and you have a reaction, it's much easier to identify the culprit. Moisturizer: 100% food grade emu oil (food grade has a better texture in my experience.) Cleanser: Johnson & Johnson's original baby shampoo (not ideal, but I have yet to find something that removes makeup as well without parabens in it.) There was a paraben scare a few years back, so some baby shampoos avoid parabens; just something to keep in mind if your skin doesn't like J&J.

Anyway, I hope that this helps somebody who is discovering or has discovered that they have a paraben allergy. I didn't mean to go on, but I've been waiting to put all this info up on the internet somewhere, because it sure was a pain in the ass finding all this out myself!

#5 gymrat7676

gymrat7676

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

I was recently told by a holistic doc that she thinks I have a paraben allergy. She did a muscle strength test and found that I got weaker when holding parabens. Now I have nothing to use because I suspect I am allergic to other things as well so I literally have no routine and am extrememly frustrated right now. The only thing that I think I can continue using is my cory minerals with only two ingredients but I have no face wash or moisturizer to use. My doc is trying to treat me for the allergy so I can use stuff with parabens and i have another appt today so we'll see. I suspect i am bothered by silicones as well

#6 vrizzard

vrizzard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:02 AM

I wonder how many people are allergic to or have problems with parabens and just do not know. All of my problems have not gone away entirely, but my skin is so much better with out parabens. The biggest thing that I have noticed about all of this is that I cannot say the parabens were causing my skin troubles just exacerbating them. Now, without parabens in anything I use, my acne heals quickly even cystic type.

Do not be overwhelmed by finding paraben-free products. More and more are available everyday. You just have to read the labels - religiously. Some products stated paraben-free then include them in the ingredients list. It is your body and you are trying to help it, so take control and be sure to read those labels.

I too planned over and over to write my story online because paraben allergies is not easy to find out information on. Even my Naturopath seemed to scoff at it, but I see the difference and know, for me it is real. If you have a doctor away of it and willing to treat you, you are leaps and bounds over others including myself.

Thank you for your questions and history. It is nice to know when you are not the only one experiencing something. Please keep the messages coming. If any of you find something that works, please let the rest of us know.

Until then, keep up the fight.

#7 rkhd

rkhd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

I'm coming late to the game, but am happy to have found this thread. I have not been tested for a paraben allergy, so I guess I can't be 100% sure I have one, but I think I do. I learned about 6 months ago that an...um...very painful personal problem I had for years went away when I bought a certain paraben-free feminine product. For some reason, it has taken me those 6 months to make the connection that this same issue could be causing me difficulty with my skincare. As of the past week I've gotten serious about getting rid of everything I have with parabens in it. I just realized that the Proactiv treatment I was using contained it. Argh!

Does anyone have updates on eliminating paraben?

#8 vrizzard

vrizzard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (rkhd @ Feb 24 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have updates on eliminating paraben?

You just to read the labels. Searching your products online is an easy way, but know that ingredients change, so if you suspect a product is bothering you, it is best just not to use it. This can be hard, but the benefits are well worth it.

#9 dreacakes

dreacakes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hi all,

I just recently figured out that I probably have a paraben allergy. For a few years I've had issues with certain face moisturizers, most of them make my neck and around my eyebrows break-out in itchy red spots. After researching ingredients, I've found that the common ingredient is Parabens in the ones that irritate me, and the ones that do not have no Parabens.
Also, I noticed a huge difference in skin health after I switched to mineral make-up.
I too have an itchy scalp, and have noticed that switching to paraben free shampoo has helped.

A really great brand with lots of preservative free products is Lush (www.lush.com).
Their solid shampoo is amazing, as are their soild massage bars, which are just soild cocoa butter lotions, body soaps, and I love their face soaps and scrubs.
Sadly, all of their liquid and cream products have parabens. sad.gif So I'm sticking with my Burts Bees moisturizer!

Anyway, I'm glad I found this message board with other people with the same issues as mine!

#10 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Dan's products are paraben-free, if any of you are looking for some paraben-free products.
www.danielkern.com

#11 AlexandraD

AlexandraD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Parabens are also estrogen imitators, so not using them is doing your body good. I gave them up two years ago. Not sure if that kept me any clearer, however.

#12 SKP

SKP

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (vrizzard @ Aug 11 2008, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have suffered from acne since my late teens and I am now in my late 30s. After all of the heartache, pain both physical and mental, as well as time, energy and money dealing with acne, I recently found, by-chance, that I have an , which was causing most of my skin irritations or what I thought was acne.

One day I happened to finally try one of the countless samples that I had. These were a set of both a cleanser and moisturizer, which afterward I thought was ingenious because it made me not combine these products with any of my existing products. Well, when I went to wash my face for the night I noticed that my skin was not at all red like it usually was. The next day I saw even more amazing results.

Ever since then I have rid all of my health and beauty from any parabens and continue to see incredible results. I should note that parabens were in almost ever single personal care product I had from skincare to make up to hand wash and lotion. It was crazy. I basically had to replace everything I had. But it has been worth the it (time and money). Any acne I develop now disappears almost like magic compared to just months ago while parabens were prevalent in my my personal care products as long as I do not pick them. Picking is bad. Of course we all know that, but, I know, sometimes that seems to be the only way to relieve the pain.

I just had to mention this because acne can be irritated easily and you never know what could be irritating yours. It took me years, literally to figure this out for myself.

Hi,
I recently understoodthat I have parabens allergy. Does this cause any further problems with health? I am really worried...
Thanks,
SKP

QUOTE (vrizzard @ Aug 11 2008, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#13 chinacat

chinacat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

I'm going to go ahead and bump this old thread because I think that parabens may be one of those hidden/overlooked things that aggravate acne in some people. I cannot use anything with parabens because it inflames my skin big time, dilates my pores, and makes my skin look like hell.

My acne was always caused by hormones and cell shedding problems within my pores-but parabens aggravated it alot. Now that I'm in my early 30s and my acne has settled way down, I can still bring on a nasty breakout just by using a paraben containing product.

#14 Miss Mels

Miss Mels

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to the person who started this thread. I am 29 and have been suffering from persistant acne since I can remember. In my teens I started to get the ussual "teen" acne, however, as an adult I would always have deep cystic acne (mostly in the T zone from my nose down) on my both my face and back, was always red and inflamed and took a long time for the acne to heal. I would also get general white heads/blackheads. My face would go through cycles where it would breakout int he same sopts over and over again. I have and had tried everything under the sun to get my acne under control. Specialiest doctor visits, dermatologest visits all could not give me an answer why my skin kept breakingout. I have tried expensive creams, make-up, face/body wash, facials, internal vitiman suppliments and acne creams; as well as the cheap ones. Nothing worked! I started to notice a change when I started using a paraben free body wash and body lotion. I notice that the acne on my back had lessioned in siverity and would heal quicker. I also noticed that when I would swich to a paraben body wash or lotion, the acne would return.

The thouht had not occured to me that parabens could be causing the acne elseware on my face and body. After looking into it, I have completely cut out ALL parabens from my routine and have been amazed with the results! My acne is vertualy gone! The skin is not red and inflamed and my not as oily (or dry in some spots). When I do get a blemish it is not cystic and heals quickly! After all the pain and mental anguish over the acne, it is truly a blessing to discover what is causingit/making it worse and how to avoid it!

I have been using a paraben free foundation ( I like the Lorac Natural Liquid Foundation) and conceler (again Lorac), and a paraben free rice setting face powder. I have been using a paraben free body wash and body lotion ( I like St. Ives brand). I was amazed to learn that the acne cream/treatment I was using contained large amounts of parabens ( I was using the store brand of Proactive)! I have started using Oxy Clinical Treatment with Benzol Poroxide (5%) and have been VERY happy with the results. It prevents new acne and does not over dry my skin when I use it before bed only.

To remove my make-up I have been using a sensitive baby wipe (Pampers Sensitive), this works great at getting all the make-up off and is super cheap. Twice a week I use a gental scrub (St. Ives Approcot Sensitive Scrub).

I have not found a moisterizer yet, my skin tends to be on the oilyer side and I ussually only need it in the winter.

I have also been suprised to notice that swiching to a paraben free shampoo and conditioner (including hair products) has completely eliminated the acne on my back! It has also elinated the little pimples I would get at the base of my hair/back of my neck/scelp! Think about hair products, they get on your pillow at bed too!

it would really be worth a try to see if elinating parabens from your routine can help you. I have suffered for years and wanted to share my positive experiences. For years I have been putting creams/face & body wash/make-up/lotions/and hair products on my body with parabens and have been making it worse! I would use and acne cream that had parabens to clear the acne and would make it worse! I have seen such positive results (has been about 3 mo. now) and my skin is the best it has ever been! smile.gif