vitamin vitamins

117 replies to this topic

#101 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Super rich French chocolate cake made with prunes. No flour except for prepping the pan, but you should be able to use cocoa powder.

http://www.davidlebo...-recipe-prunes/

Chocolate-Prune Cake

One 9-inch (23 cm) cake, 10 to 12 servings

Feel free to swap out another dried fruit for the prunes (sometimes called “dried plums”), such as figs, cherries, or apricots, although do give the prunes a try they have a wonderful affinity to dark chocolate. You can also use another liquor, such as port, red wine, or bourbon. For those avoiding alcohol, black tea makes a good substitute, especially one that’s flavored with black currants.

For the prunes:

6 ounces (170 g) pitted prunes, diced in small pieces
1/3 cup (80 ml) rum, or another liquor (see headnote)
1 tablespoon sugar

For the cake:

12 ounces (340 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
12 tablespoons (6 ounces, 170 g) unsalted butter, cubed
6 large eggs, separated
large pinch of salt
3 tablespoons sugar

Additional soft butter and flour, or cocoa powder, for preparing the pan

1. Simmer the prunes with the rum and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small saucepan for a few minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand until cool.

2. To make the cake, preheat the oven to 325ºF (165ºC).

3. Butter a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan. Dust the inside with flour or cocoa powder, and tap out any excess.

4. In a large bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the prunes and any liquid left in the pan.

5. Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture.

6. In a separate bowl, or using a stand mixer, whip the egg whites with the salt until they begin to hold soft peaks. Continue whipping, adding the 3 tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until the whites hold their shape when you lift the whip.

7. Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture thoroughly, then fold in the remaining egg whites just until no streaks of whites are visible. Don’t overfold.

8. Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cake feels set close to the edges of the pan but the center is still rather soft to the touch and moist-looking. Let cool.

Serving: This cake is very moist, which makes it a bit challenging to get a clean slice out of it. Run a thin knife around the cake to loosen it from the pan and remove the springform mold. Dip the knife in very hot water then wipe the blade dry and use it to slice the cake, dipping the knife in the hot water and wiping it off between each cut.

Storage: This cake can be made up to three days in advance, and stored at room temperature. It can also be frozen for up to two months.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#102 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Dairy Free

Mexican Chia Coconut Pudding

http://www.mexconnec...-de-chia-y-coco

Ridiculously simple to make and fun to eat, this chia coconut puddingcould also be prepared with almond milk.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
In a bowl, combine seeds with coconut milk. Whisk every 5 minutes to prevent clumping. After 30 minutes, stir in the honey or agave nectar. This will have the consistency of tapioca pudding, and can be eaten immediately or refrigerated to serve cold. Makes 1 cup.

But try reducing the sweetener.  the coconut might be sweet enough. Or add some raisins. 

Chia Fruit Gelatin

http://www.mexconnec...frutas-con-chia

Chia's natural ability to gel makes it perfect for vegans or anyone else adverse to using commercial gelatins made with animal hooves. Use any kind of fruit juice, including those that aren't available in packaged gelatin powder flavors, like pomegranate and cranberry. This chia fruit gelatin is not as thick as gels made with commercial gelatin powders, and is good on its own or as a topping for yogurt or pay de queso. Its appearance reminds me of the bubble tea I always get in Chinatown when I visit my sister in New York.

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 cup fruit juice (sweetened to taste, if desired)

Mix the seeds with the juice in a bowl, whisking to prevent the seeds from clumping. After a couple of minutes, whisk again.

Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes, while the seeds absorb the liquid. Use immediately, or refrigerate until needed. Makes 1 cup.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#103 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

This recipe is incredibly delicious!!!  Plus, it'll keep in the fridge for a while.  You could even freeze some if you wanted to.  I recommend visiting the webpage, because there are helpful pictures showing the process of these being made (plus another recipe for a dark chocolate version).  Also, you do not have to use the full cup of sugar.  I used the full cup of honey but only a 1/3 cup of sugar (you could also use coconut crystals, which are low-glycemic, rather than rapadura), and it still came out amazing!!  I bought the cocoa butter on Amazon.  This is pricey to make, but it's also very rich and should last quite a while.  Enjoy!!!  smile.png

Cashew-Almond Raw “Milk Chocolate” Bars

by Angela Leed from The Live Green Smoothie Diet

http://www.live-gree...chocolate-bars/

img_4629.jpg

• 1 cup melted raw cacao butter
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1 cup raw honey
  • 1 cup raw cacao powder
  • 1 cup rapadura (unprocessed granulated cane sugar)
  • 1 cup raw almonds, loosely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon quality natural salt
  • 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons organic almond extract

Melt the cacao butter on the stove. Remove as soon as melted. (I approximate the measurement of the cacao butter while it is cold by placing cut up chunks in a measuring container, then I do the final measurement when melted. If you need to melt some more, it’s no problem — it melts quickly but doesn’t solidify quickly.)

Blend the cashews and the honey in a food processor or blender (I do it in my Blendtec blender) until smooth.

Measure remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cashew-honey mixture and mix loosely, then pour in the melted cacao butter and combine well.

Press into 13X9X2 pan or dish and place in refrigerator or freezer til firm. Slice into small pieces (it’s rich… obviously) and remove into sealed container. Keep in cool place, such as fridge.

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 05 May 2013 - 10:38 AM.

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#104 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

Grain free, no flour brownies

http://fastpaleo.com...chini-brownies/

Nut butter, grated zucchini, chocolate, eggs, spices, honey. I'd prefer a recipe that uses cocoa rater than chocolate, but apparently you don't melt the chocolate, just stir the chunks in to the batter.

#105 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

its really late at night and i suddenly felt this unusual thirst for something sweet!(blame this thread..i was trying to fins out something healthy n sweet for tomorw but just couldnt handle it)

i made a dip which had crumbled digestive biscuits,yogurt,honey, and cinnamon.

cut apples into small pieces and threw in!

the yogurt was kept in the fridge so the over all dish seems a lil' cold.

its hot here(around 35-40 degrees) and i cant stop myself.

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??
http://www.acne.org/...-with-pictures/

huge pores
http://www.acne.org/...dwith-pictures/

indented scar
http://www.acne.org/...iswith-picture/

oils used for cooking
http://www.acne.org/...oilgood-or-bad/

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores
http://www.acne.org/...twith-pictures/

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)
http://www.acne.org/...food-allergies/
http://www.acne.org/...incare-routine/

#106 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

The link contains a oat bar recipe if you want it. contains wheat. And she's a vegan which is the reason for the 'chia egg' substitute for eggs.

But the cool thing is the fruit jam thickened with chia seeds rather than a lot of sugar. I'll be experimenting with this. Although I don't have that much use for it since I rarely eat bread.  There's always all the pancake recipes posted on the better breads and alternatives thread...

For Strawberry chia seed Jam:

Ingredients:

• 2 & 1/4 cups chopped strawberries, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces 
  • 3-4 tbsp sugar, to taste
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions:   In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries and sugar. Heat over low until the strawberries begin to sweat and it gets a bit watery. Once it heats down a bit, add in the chia seeds, and stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low to medium heat for at least 10 minutes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and cool for 5-10 mins.

From some of the comments I removed as I pasted, this recipe didn't originate with this site, so there are probably more recipes and tips out there on the interwebs.

#107 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Banana Fudgsicles

2 small, very ripe bananas
1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
small pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender.   Blend until well combined.  Pour into popsicle molds.  Freeze.  Makes 5-6 pops.

#108 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

can i make oatmeal cookies with rolled oats if so can somone please tell me how? never cooked a day in my life and im tired of eating tastless oatmeal everyday. Thanks.

#109 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

can i make oatmeal cookies with rolled oats if so can somone please tell me how? never cooked a day in my life and im tired of eating tastless oatmeal everyday. Thanks.

Yes, I thought I'd already posted a 2 ingredient oatmeal and banana cookie. It's in my Pinterest board. I'll find it. But there's likely already recipes for oat cookies and bars here.

Also, you could make oats that aren't tasteless. I don't make oatmeal, but instead have whole oats and buckwheat. And it's not tasteless. It's full of spice and topped with fruit and nuts.

#110 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

even i wanted some quick recipes(preferably not sweet; i dnt like sweet dishes generally)?

can i make it like 'poha'(flattened rice cooked with veggies,onion,turmeric etc)

also,is flattened rice and puffed rice good as snacks or otherwise?

there are various ways they can be eaten and honestly in fast lives its not always possible to eat at home(specially when out for the whole day).

so instead of having junk food and processed stuff like biscuits,small packet cakes,muffins etc i could carry these?

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??
http://www.acne.org/...-with-pictures/

huge pores
http://www.acne.org/...dwith-pictures/

indented scar
http://www.acne.org/...iswith-picture/

oils used for cooking
http://www.acne.org/...oilgood-or-bad/

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores
http://www.acne.org/...twith-pictures/

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)
http://www.acne.org/...food-allergies/
http://www.acne.org/...incare-routine/

#111 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Chocolate Nut Butter Bites

1/2 cup coconut oil (softened but not hot)

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup nut butter (I use sunflower seed butter)

1/4 cup (mild) raw honey*

1. Pour all the ingredients into your food processor and pulse a few times until ingredients are well combined.  Don't have a food processor?  Simply whisk until well combined.

2. Pour the mixture into silicone mold tray or lined mini muffin tin.  Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden.  Remove fudge bites and store in fridge or freezer.

The Banana Oatmeal cookies recipe is 2 ripe bananas mashed and one cup quick oats. Place teaspoonfull balls on cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

I just tried it, without altering the recipe which is unusual for me, but I happened to have some quick oats on had because I asked a neighbor for some oats one day to try bathing my itchy dog with it, and she gave me this container of quick oats.  Besides, I baked it on the outdoor grill, which is still a learning thing with me.  Oh, yeah, I did put one large dark chocolate chip in the center of each one, so I didn't follow the recipe. My record still stands.

They are nice enough.  I've had a few recipes that I've done for years involving mashed banana and oats, usually plus other things, so they taste pretty much the same.

Next time, I will likely use a cup of my cooked buckwheat and whole oats cereal instead. And/or dried coconut.

Edited by alternativista, 21 June 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#112 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1. Pour all the ingredients into your food processor and pulse a few times until ingredients are well combined.  Don't have a food processor?  Simply whisk until well combined.

2. Pour the mixture into silicone mold tray or lined mini muffin tin.  Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden.  Remove fudge bites and store in fridge or freezer.

The Banana Oatmeal cookies recipe is 2 ripe bananas mashed and one cup quick oats. Place teaspoonfull balls on cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

I just tried it, without altering the recipe which is unusual for me, but I happened to have some quick oats on had because I asked a neighbor for some oats one day to try bathing my itchy dog with it, and she gave me this container of quick oats.  Besides, I baked it on the outdoor grill, which is still a learning thing with me.  Oh, yeah, I did put one large dark chocolate chip in the center of each one, so I didn't follow the recipe. My record still stands.

They are nice enough.  I've had a few recipes that I've done for years involving mashed banana and oats, usually plus other things, so they taste pretty much the same.

Next time, I will likely use a cup of my cooked buckwheat and whole oats cereal instead. And/or dried coconut.

Thanks i will try this, sounds good hopefully my house doesnt blow up.

#113 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

1/2 cup cocoa powder

Thanks i will try this, sounds good hopefully my house doesnt blow up.

You should also look into baked oatmeal recipes that include eggs. Somyounare getting eggs in your breakfast. And you should explore the food and recipe thread. It used to be pinned but they just unpinned it for some reason. There's a link in the first post.

#114 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Lemon coconut macaroons

• 3 large egg whites
  • 3 tbsp raw honey
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (medium shredded or above)
  •  

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the honey, lemon juice, vanilla and salt and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
  2. Fold in the shredded coconut. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to let it bind. Form into balls. Place each ball on the baking sheet. The balls should hold together. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Depending on the size of the cookie a longer baking time might be required.
  3. Each recipe makes about 15-20 macaroons
Make Yourself Some Treats That are Good for your Skin http://dietforclearskin.blogspot.com/

Edited by alternativista, 17 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#115 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

I've made a cake which is mostly apple with little flour  few years now, but I always misplace the recipe over the summer. I've found that if your search for French Apple Cake you'll find many similar recipes.   Here's the one I'm going to follow with some adaptations i.e. leave out sugar, dried coconut for flour. Will probably add some spices.  oh, and today, I am going to add some fresh cranberries.

French Apple Cake
Printable Recipe

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with knife
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cake
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons dark rum
2 sweet baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (such as honeycrisp, fuji or golden delicious)
Confectioners’ sugar (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform or regular cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

3. Using a handheld mixer with beaters or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffly, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla and rum. Don’t worry if the batter looks grainy. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in chopped apples.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Bake cake for about 40 minutes, or until cake is lightly golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool until just warm. Run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake and remove sides of springform pan if using. Dust with Confectioners’ sugar if desired. Cake can be served warm or room temperature, with or without lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

#116 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

No Bake, Grain Free Cinnamon rolls.

Just skip the agave nectar which is NOT a healthy 'food.'  And the dates likely make it sweet enough.  You can also make dough with steamed chunks of plantain.

They have a Cashew based icing. I wouldn't want the icing on these, but it might be nice on some other dessert. 

#117 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Raw Berry Chia pudding pie. Basically, combine chia pudding in a ground almond pie crust shell both of which have been posted here before. 

But here's Whole Foods recipe:

http://www.wholefood...14_07_23_Recipe

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
  • 6 cups mixed fresh berries, divided
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened white grape juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

You must be signed in to use shopping lists. Sign in or create account
Method: 

To make the crust, in a food processor, combine dates, almonds and flaxseed meal, and process until the mixture is finely ground and begins to clump together, 1 to 2 minutes; stop several times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Scrape the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and press down with your fingers or the bottom of a glass to evenly cover the bottom and sides of the plate. Set aside.

Wipe out the food processor and add half of the berries, chia seeds, grape juice, honey and vanilla. Process until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining berries. Pour into the pie plate, cover and refrigerate until chilled and chia seeds have thickened the filling, at least 4 hours.

#118 fyry

fyry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

2 minutes-cream : 

2 avocados 

frozen strawberries 

chia gelly (2 tbsp. chia seeds left in an espresso glass of water overnight or for a few hours) 

--------> blend together in a food processor 

--------> when it is ready add coconut flour and begin forming a thick paste. Slowly add a bit of cocoa powder (just a bit) and cocoa butter (1 tbsp) or coconut oil (1 tbsp) 

I sometimes eat it alone or added it recently to buckwheat plus a banana and it was heavenly ( I dont add cocoa) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users