117 replies to this topic

#41 riomar

riomar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

Bee's Egg Drink ICE CREAM w/ and w/out ice cream machine

I received a request to post my recipe for ice cream on this site so here goes(I
use a mini ice cream maker I bought from target)

One serving:
2 eggs
3-4 Tbsp of coconut oil
2 Tbsp of butter
juice of 1/2 lemon or less(can substitute vanilla or cinnamon etc.)
stevia to taste

Ok, first I crack the eggs in a blender and add the lemon juice and stevia. Then
I take the coco oil and butter that I melted in a saucepan and poor it in.
Simply blend and then pour into the ice cream maker. It takes about 15 to 25
minutes to make. The type of machine that I have requires me to freeze the
container hours prior to making it. The result is a really creamy ice cream that
is in my opinion as good as it gets :)Also, the ice cream on the sides of the
container is usually too hard to eat right after its made, so I simply eat the
ice cream thats ready and leave the rest to defrost and have as a snack later.
If you want to share your ice cream, you should double the recipe to have
enough. Hope you all enjoy!

Best,
Sarah

This was very good! Thanks Sara! Btw, I used the plastic bag method and it
worked great. I used the following recipe, but subbed in Sarah's recipe for
everything in the small bag:

What you'll need:

6 tablespoons salt
1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
Ice cubes

How to make it:
Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
Put [Sarah's recipe] into the small bag, and seal it.
Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!

This was my yummy breakfast this am!
Dawn

it all happens so fast it seems, on a cusp for disaster attached to dreams...

#42 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ Jun 1 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (alternativista @ Jun 1 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ May 31 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't do much cooking but it does well in baked goods!

Yes, it does, but you may have to add something to replace the bulk of the sugar. And sugar is an important part of the texture of some things so you can't replace all of it in some recipes. I'd stick with recipes from the stevia sites.

Just remember that all versions don't have the same amount of sweetness in the same amount of volume so you may have to do some calculations if you aren't using the same brand/type used in the recipe.

What could be added that might replace sugar effectively? I'm thinking perhaps an unflavoured soluable fiber supplement?

There's usually suggestions on the stevia sites. Applesauce and mashed banana come to mind. And i've been thinking mashed garbonzo beans would be good in things like cookies because they are cookie colored, have a bit of a nutty flavor, etc.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#44 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

This is defintiely not healthy, but this recipe has been highly recommended (apparently the caramel is to die for!!) and is suitable for vegans (if you're into that type of thing):
Twix Bars

Shortbread base
1/2 cup vegan margarine:
1 cup flour (half whole wheat gives a nice crunch)
6 tablespoons sugar

Caramel Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons water + 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring (Optional)

Chocolate coating:
2 cups vegan chocolate chips
2 teaspoon canola or olive oil
Directions:
Shortbread Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Combine all ingredients for shortbread and roll out into two 3 x 12-inch rectangles
3. Score each rectangle into 12 Twix-size pieces and bake about 15 minutes

Caramel Filling:
4. Add sugar, molasses, and salted water to a small saucepan
5. Heat until bubbly
6. Meanwhile mix milk, cornstarch, and vanilla in a small glass bowl and add to the saucepan once it's bubbling
7. Stir constantly and heat again until it boils and the starch has thickened
8. Let caramel and cookies cool at bit, separating each cookie, and then spread each cookie with a teaspoon of caramel
9. Pop the caramel cookies in the freezer to quickly harden while melting the chocolate

Chocolate topping:
9. Melt chocolate chips with oil either in the microwave or on low heat on the stove
10. Remove cool cookies from the freezer and spoon chocolate over each
Smile! You have a hydrogenated-oil-free vegan Twix candy bar!
working on this for a while (especially the caramel) and finally have it right!
Makes: 20 bars, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes

#45 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

#46 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ Jun 22 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a couple of books out with recipes in which veggie purees are snuck into kid-friendly foods. These recipes make them from scratch rather than the box mix.

One is by Jessica Seinfeld and think her book is called something like Deceptively Delicious. The other book is called the Sneaky Chef. Both have brownie recipes and others on their website. I'm pretty sure I've posted links here before, but maybe not because the recipes would still need to be adapted to reduce sugar.

Both involve melting chocolate though. I prefer using cocoa.

Edit, just looked for links and because of claims that Seinfeld possibly stealing the idea from the other author, she's posted links to several other books and a magazine that regularly posts similar recipes.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#47 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

holy shit guys!

low-carb heaven

#48 forever16

forever16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

*Creamy Coconut Rice

* 1 cup-Brown Rice Basmati

*1 1/4 cups-Water

*1/2 cup-Light Coconut Milk

*1/2 Sea Salt

Instructions:
Bring water and coconut milk to a boil.
Add rice, cover, and reduce heat to low.
If you like, add a cinnamon stick while the rice is cooking.

#49 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Pimple Princess @ May 4 2009, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (*`*~ABG Fairy~*`* @ May 4 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Pimple Princess @ May 3 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Nutella good for you?

No!!! But it sure does taste good!!!! hahaha It was all over Europe when I visited, and I loved chocolate crepes made of Nutella. I found out though that is has hydrogenated oils... a big no no to stay away from. sad.gif

Gosh darn it! I just had a Nutella-banana crepe lol.gif It was good neutral.gif

Guess what?!!! I was in a European market the other day, came across Nutella, decided to check the ingredients once more, and "no hydrogenated oils" were listed!!!!! Guess they changed their ingredients!! A lot of companies are becoming more aware and changing their ingredients. I was happy to see that Nutella had as well!! Still not considered a "health" food, but I'm sure an occasional jar can't hurt... I picked one up for old time's sake.... hehe smile.gif

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#50 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

I would like to learn to cook! I wish any of you could teach me! Who lives in Lowell , MA or near it? :/

I think I'm going to buy vitamix blender! I want to start cooking these healthy food.

Edited by EddieE, 02 October 2009 - 08:50 PM.

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#51 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (faithhope @ Sep 23 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Creamy Coconut Rice

* 1 cup-Brown Rice Basmati

*1 1/4 cups-Water

*1/2 cup-Light Coconut Milk

*1/2 Sea Salt

Instructions:
Bring water and coconut milk to a boil.
Add rice, cover, and reduce heat to low.
If you like, add a cinnamon stick while the rice is cooking.

I would like to try this! It looks healthy

Edited by EddieE, 02 October 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#52 tigermike

tigermike

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

here's one from a low-carb site called Son of Grok

Caveman Custard

Dairy Free, No Sugar Added Custard

Do you miss puddings and custards in your primal world? We have a local egg custard here known as “Flan” and for some weird reason, I have been craving it. Here is a custard recipe that I have been putting together. I finally got the proportions perfectly where I like them. If you like yours sweeter, all you need to do is add more bananas! This recipe is about as simple as it gets.

Ingredients:
- 2 bananas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- Cinnamon

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients except for cinnamon in a mixer and mix well.
2. Pour into custard or souffle cups (coffee cups or other oven safe containers work fine if you don’t have custard cups).
3. Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
4. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for approx 45 minutes. Custard will balloon a bit and you may see some liquid… its ok, it will work itself out.
5. Chill.
6. Serve and enjoy.

This makes a tasty treat! Careful though… it is easy to overeat lol.

also...no one has mentioned BACON yet. Nature's Candy Bar!

Since AUG 09: Been experimenting with Paleo/Primal diet and absolutely loving it.
Probiotics have been huge as well.

#53 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Peanut Butter and Jelly Energy Bars (LaraBar knockoffs!)

These are really handy to have pre-made and pre-wrapped for snacks or quick meals.
What I do is take equal amounts of nuts like peanuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts and raisins. I add in some cinnamon chips, chocolate or white chocolate chips and a bit of vanilla. Food process all the ingredients and you should get a thick paste.

You can pat the paste down and cut into bars, wrap and refrigerate (these are GREAT for work or school).

To make a fancy dessert, I'll spread some of my favourite yoghurt over the bars, drizzle w/ melted chocolate and freeze. These are SO rich and fruity yoghurt freezes really well, they taste too good to be healthy!!

Anyways you can make tons of flavour combinations, check out LaraBar's website for more flavours (coconut lime, chocolate cherry, butterscotch, etc). They are SO expensive and it is cheaper and better for the environment to not have individually-wrapped snacks. I just keep a pan of these in the fridge and take one (or two) at a time in plastic containers that I wash and re-use.

Edited by meat_pirate86, 03 November 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#54 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

Brownie recipe with black beans in place of much of the flour.

This recipe has agave nectar and lots of it, I know. But it has black beans in place of most of the flour. So I'm posting it to help people figure out how they can make substitutions to lower the GI and increase nutritional value of their treats.

BTW, You can also use more cocoa and less flour. I have a brownie recipe like that. And you can usually just reduce sugar in any recipe by at least 1/3 without affecting texture at all. I've done that for years because I've never liked things to be so sweet.

Brownies

Ingredients

1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed

cup agave syrup

cup self-rising flour

cup egg whites

cup unsweetened cocoa

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp baking powder

6 tbsp mini semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

In a food processor, mix all brownie ingredients (except chips) together. Chop on high, until smooth. Clean off sides and blend for another 20 seconds. Add the chips in and stir well. Spread into the 8x8 baking dish. Cook for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for about 1 hour in dish at room temperature.

Frosting

Ingredients

6 oz fat-free cream cheese

¼ cup agave syrup

2 tbsp vanilla extract

2 tbsp semisweet mini chocolate chips, melted.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly spray a 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. With a whisk attachment on an electric beater and blend all ingredients until light and fluffy. Spread evenly over the top of the cooled brownies. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the 2 tbsp of chips with a 2 second spray of nonstick cooking oil. Using a spoon, swirl the chocolate on top. Allow it to set in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy. Don't forget to have seconds!

Edited by alternativista, 13 May 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#55 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Pumpkin pudding

On the Today show recently, their Joy whatshername who does the Joy Fit Club had a dessert or breakfast pudding made by mixing a can of pumpkin (not the pie filling, plain pumpkin) and a small container of vanilla yogurt. She used low or non-fat of course. Use your own homemade or non-dairy plain unsweetened yogurt. The pumpkin is a good source of fiber and beta carotene. Or you could steam some sweat potatoes to use instead of the canned.

I tried this but didn't care for it. I did use plain yogurt and did not add any sweetener or vanilla though.

Edited by alternativista, 29 March 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#56 clc111

clc111

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

Chocolate Milk:
Add a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk to pure cocoa powder to form a paste. Keep adding almond milk as you whisk. Then add stevia or xylitol. Not the same as the real thing but pretty darn close. You could even add a little coconut milk if you want a more creamy consistency. Makes good hot chocolate too.

I also came across this recipe for chocolate pudding. Haven't tried it yet but looks good. I would substitute the sugar with stevia or xylitol.

http://www.101cookbo...ing-recipe.html

#57 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

3-minute chocolate cake in a cup

3 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons dark chocolate chips (pieces) optional
small splash of vanilla

In a large coffee mug: Mix dry ingredients, add egg and mix thoroughly. Add milk, oil, mix again. Finally chocolate, vanilla and mix again. Microwave on high 3 minutes for a 1,000 watt oven. The cake will rise above the mug, but then collapse a bit. Let cool a bit. This makes 2 small servings.

The above recipe has already been altered from the original by me to decrease the flour and increase the cocoa to make everything 3s so it's easier to remember and I think a lot more clever. And it's better that way.

The one time I tried it, I reduced the sugar to 2 T because I've always reduced sugar a lot, skipped the chocolate pieces and used my yogurt instead of milk as I usually do. And I use Hershey's special dark cocoa powder. And I imagine I used coconut oil. When I ate half while still warm I thought it was a little too bitter, even for my tastes, but when I had the second half the next day, I liked it fine. The texture is a little odd, but I think it was not unlike the packaged cupcake and twinkie things made by hostess and such. As far as I can recall what they are like.

I've planned to experiment with other sweeteners and flours, but haven't done it yet. And you can probably use water, coconut milk, etc for the dairy

Edited by alternativista, 01 October 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#58 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

^ Oh dear... that cake sounds divine, and I have all the ingredients to make it. hehe How much oil are we supposed to use? Have you tried Tree of Life's coconut oil? It doesn't taste like regular coconut oil - has more of a butter taste, so it would be awesome in this. I'd like to know "why" it doesn't taste like regular coconut oil though... will have to look into that. Thanks for all the fun recipes Alternativista. smile.gif

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#59 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (*`*~ABG Fairy~*`* @ Mar 29 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ Oh dear... that cake sounds divine, and I have all the ingredients to make it. hehe How much oil are we supposed to use? Have you tried Tree of Life's coconut oil? It doesn't taste like regular coconut oil - has more of a butter taste, so it would be awesome in this. I'd like to know "why" it doesn't taste like regular coconut oil though... will have to look into that. Thanks for all the fun recipes Alternativista. smile.gif

Oops. It's 3 Tablespoons. 3T of everything except 1 egg, dash vanilla, 3 minutes.

#60 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Mar 29 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (*`*~ABG Fairy~*`* @ Mar 29 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops. It's 3 Tablespoons. 3T of everything except 1 egg, dash vanilla, 3 minutes.

Thanks! That's a lot of oil, but I'm still going to try this for a treat..... sounds like too much fun to pass up. smile.gif

Edit: Gave it a whirl tonight... very tasty indeed! I used whole wheat flour, brown sugar, Stonyfield's vanilla yogurt (something I rarely buy!), coconut oil, and of course, the egg, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Mine had a slight burnt taste, so perhaps 3 min. was a little long in my particular microwave. Still tasty though and definitely a fun treat. smile.gif

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 29 March 2010 - 11:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users