Photo

milk and acne-thought this was interesting.

milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

Nope. Please elaborate.
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#22 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

BTW, I find it hilarious that we're having a debate on the genetic make-up and tendencies of mankind...and I just noticed your sig pic. :lol:

#23 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:41 AM

im with u jc,x

#24 matangeles

matangeles

when will it end?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:21 AM

ok instead of milk.
what shold i eat for my vitamin d and calcium (brocolli righti)

#25 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:04 AM

Yep, Broccoli is very good for you. Vitamin D you can get with sunlight no? Try for Soy milk. Luv it.

BTW, I remember some 7 years ago, my dermotologist actually gave me a list of foods that I shouldn't eat! I can't remember all of it today, but I remember one of them being milk!!! Back then it shocked me, but now I'm not so surprised.

#26 pelantire

pelantire

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:05 AM

Americans, have the honor of consuming the most dairy than any other nation, and also have the embarrasment of sporting the highest rate of osteoporosis. Is there a correlation?, is purely up to you. Japanese traditionaly do not eat dairy, but since americanization they had to come up with a word for osteoporosis, as they never experienced it before. The acidity of dairy, a low pH, has to be alkalized in the body, the only way for this is to leech calcium from the bones. Sure baby calfs need to double their weight more than once, but do we?, are our bones as girthy as calfs?, hope not. As Arnold says, milk is for babies. GOT MILK? :-k

#27 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:34 AM

fantastic point,the milk has all the vitamins in it needed for a CALF,not a human,if it was for us why is it by nature there is only enough for a calf the only reason there is enough for humans is by hands of humans,the cows are over and over agian inpregnated to produce the mad amount of milk required thats not natrual for the cow.
im sure a calf wouldnt be able to grow healthily on human breast milk so why think we can,and like someone correctly commented before the countrys with the highest levels of brittle bone disease are the countrys with the highest consumption of dairy.....mmmmmmm,coincidence i think not.

but at the end of the day,if it doesnt aggravate your acne ,fair enough but i no lots of people who say when they cut out dairy there skin improved,and some that didnt.
i guess like all things we try for acne its trial and error.

#28 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm, the broccoli i have in the freezer has 20mg of calcium per serving, so unless i'm going to eat about 10 bags of it, i'm not going to get much. Is there some other kind of broccoli that has a lot more calcium in it?

#29 Mr. T

Mr. T

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:37 AM

well, i've read that soya raises the female hormones level in the body which will raise the male hormones level which will cause acne eventuallly (the body tries to keep its hormones levels balanced, so it creates more male hormons due to the excess of female hormonds in the body).

#30 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:55 AM

I use soya sauce in my rice, and soy milk for my cereal, so that's not a lot. And if you have a healthy liver, I'm hoping that that will help to regulate the hormones. So anything in excess will get cha!

#31 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

well, i've read that soya raises the female hormones level in the body which will raise the male hormones level which will cause acne eventuallly (the body tries to keep its hormones levels balanced, so it creates more male hormons due to the excess of female hormonds in the body).

Soy contains isoflavones, which are plant based estrogens. There are three different kinds, genistein, daidzein and glycitein. A lot of people think that it's the isoflavones in soy that are responsible for most of its health benefits.

I was under the impression that female hormones would supress male hormones. For instance, when a man takes estrogen, don't his testosterone levels drop off? If so, these isoflavones could actually help acne.

Another thing, if you are concerned about isoflavones, you can still take soy protien concentrates, because the isoflavones are destroyed during processing.

#32 Mr. T

Mr. T

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2004 - 01:01 PM

Soy contains isoflavones, which are plant based estrogens. There are three different kinds, genistein, daidzein and glycitein. A lot of people think that it's the isoflavones in soy that are responsible for most of its health benefits.

I was under the impression that female hormones would supress male hormones. For instance, when a man takes estrogen, don't his testosterone levels drop off? If so, these isoflavones could actually help acne.

Another thing, if you are concerned about isoflavones, you can still take soy protien concentrates, because the isoflavones are destroyed during processing.

no, the body will actually increase the male hormones level as well.
thats why 60% of the teenagers (and steroeids consumers) have gyno (=breast in man) because the body tries to balance its hormones levels, and creates more female hormones because of the increase in male hormones.

#33 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:29 PM

does soy milk have calcium?

#34 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

does soy milk have calcium?

Soy milk is high in calcium, but not as high as cow's milk. So look for a calcium-fortified brand.

#35 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:57 PM

I got soy milk for the very first time in my life today. It has 30% of the USDA recommended daily amount of calcium (or 300 mg) per cup, is entirely organic, and tasted better then cow's milk.

#36 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:00 PM

and tasted better then cow's milk.

You can also get Soy milk in many different flavors like vanilla. I've even tried strawberry and orange/mango! Interesting...

#37 zha

zha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:57 PM

Your argument about lactose intolerance is flawed; they are many defects present in the human gene pool, ever heard of hetrozygote recessive carriers?

Dude. 98% of humanity is lactose intolerant. It's much less than that in most western countries though, because we have recently consumed so much dairy stuff. If I recall correctly, *all* other animals are lactose intolerant. Luckily, lactose intolerance only kicks in after infancy, so everyone is able to digest their mother's milk.

...Not that I have any intention of giving up my cheeeese! [-( biggrin.gif

#38 MarkInMaine

MarkInMaine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:10 AM

Our \"prehistoric\" ancestors probably only lived to about 30 years.  Do you think they were in good health?

Humans are herbavoires by nature.  We weren't meant to eat meat of other animals.  Just like the mighty giraffe.  biggrin.gif

Hmm... well that's the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. Before domestication, people ate primariloy meat. Vegetables were not large enough or in enough abundance to feed even a small band population. Humans did supplement with varied wild fruits, vegies and nuts but this wouldn't have been enough to sustain life. Of course game meat and domesticated meat are 2 different things. Obviously a cow is a maladaptive animal that eats too much, is slow and can't defend itself, thus all the meat we get from them is very fatty and tender. On the other hand, deer meat is very lean and healthy.

#39 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:43 AM

I was only making a sweeping-generalization for humor's sake. I'll admit, I haven't done enough extensive research on the matter of whether humans are (were) genetically predisposed to eating meat. However, there is damning evidence that fat from animals does damage to our liver, and digestive systems in the long run, if overeaten.

As young people, we tend to overlook mortality and the many diseases that come with aging. It's a stubborn attitude that I'm beginning to let go of.

#40 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:47 AM

As young people, we tend to overlook mortality and the many diseases that come with aging.  It's a stubborn attitude that I'm beginning to let go of.

I agree. Many old people have this attitude as well, including some in my family. However, mortality is inescapable no matter how healthy you are. Some people would rather live a shorter, more enjoyable life then a long life of self restraint. Who are we to judge them for this? Perhaps they are not all overlooking, but simply assessing and making a different choice. What one man wants from life need not be the standard for all men. Then there is the fact that we still don't know all that much about nutrition, and we have been wrong in the past. We are probably wrong about some things right now too. You are probably wrong about some things that you think are healthy, and may very well end up finding out that they were bad for you all along. This is frustrating, and it makes people not want to bother.

Myself, i have changed my diet completely, but mainly for the sake of my skin. I would not have made such drastic changes were it only for a longer healthier life, although i am glad that i did change, and would continue with my current diet even if my acne went away forever (i would definately indulge myself every now and then though). This is simply because i am able to enjoy the diet. It is less of a hassle, and much less sacrifice then i initially thought it would be.