Photo

milk and acne-thought this was interesting.

milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:44 AM

milk contains progesterone; that is a product of the cows' pregnancy; and that there are other hormones in the milk of pregnant cows, particularly in the butterfat fraction. Also, it was shown that the enzymes necessary to convert these hormones to DHT are present right in the oil glands themselves.

So there is a chain of events that leads from the cow getting pregnant; to her being milked; to getting pregnant for her second calf while she is still being milked; to you taking the hormones into your diet as milk, cream, ice cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, pizza, lasagna, cheeseburgers and the rest; to the hormones being absorbed into your body, going to the oil gland receptors, converting to DHT and turning on the cellular activity that creates acne.

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:04 AM

Good post. I've been off dairy milk for a while. Soy rules! I still like yogurt though...hmm.................. :-k

#3 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:06 PM

I have a different theory of milk and acne. A lot of the population is lactose intolerant to a good degree and many don't know it. Therefore the reaction they get with acne and dairy is their intolerance to the substance. Also in the US, they put extra hormones in dairy in order for cows to produce more milk, so much so that even more bodies are unable to handle it. However, in many countries like Canada, there are laws against extra hormones in dairy, chicken, etc.... therefore I think it's very safe to consume it. In a lot of states now there are dairy producers that are stopping the injection of extra hormones, you just have to check with the brand of milk you drink. As for the hormones naturally present in dairy,it's so small that even the most ineffecient body can process them out with ease(assuming your not lactose intolerant).

Milk is also low onthe GI index(ointhe 30's) so it can't really be accounted for a sudden surge in blood sugar, as anything under 55 is considered low.

Remember all things in moderation. Plus you need the milk for your bones to absorb the calcuim better.

Oh ya, if you quit milk all together and go on just soy in it's place you will have more health problems down the road than if you just stuck to milk.

#4 Someone

Someone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:12 PM

I've been drinking milk every morning since i was like 2 years old. This is just some B/S story of the stupid 'animal rights activists' using one of their new stupid methods to keep people from using 'animal products'. Idiots. If you don't want to drink milk, who cares, don't drink it. But don't try to sell others your b/s story that you yourself arn't even sure of.

#5 animegirle

animegirle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:44 PM

Organic Milk all the way!

Down with Monsanto...user posted image

http://www.commondre...s03/0708-10.htm

#6 RightOk

RightOk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:28 PM

Someone, you're a fuckin idiot. Get off this board. First of all, the most obvious stupid point you made about his post was that he's an animal activist trying to get you to stop using animal products. Cows produce milk naturally for their calves you dumbfuck, milking a cow doesn't hurt it at all. So how in the hell is his post supposed to be about animal activism if nothing is being done to harm the cow.

Secondly, here you are condemning him for putting up this post and trying to "convince people of some B/S story." How the hell do you know your response (which was incredibly stupid btw if I haven't mentioned) isn't equally full of BS. Have you done research to combat it? My derm told me that dairy might aggrivate acne too.

"I'VE BEEN DRINKING MILK EVERY MORNING SINCE I WAS LIKE 2 YEARS OLD" Thanks for telling us, what the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you not on this forum because you have acne as well? By the way, I've been drinking milk for a while too. Just thought I'd tell you.

#7 chelmo

chelmo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:52 PM

I don't drink milk. Never have. I know it doesn't have any link or correlation to my acne.

#8 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:03 PM

It might for some people though.

#9 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2004 - 08:56 AM

ok im female,not male by the way,im gratfull that some people realised why i put that post up here.
to the person who thinks he knows so much,i did not put that info on due to a believe in animal rights,but a pure start of a discussion on milk and its PREHAPS connection with acne,i suffer with it,and you clearly saw it the way you wanted to bitterly and incorrectly,we are all here to get to the bottom of our acne experiences,yes i am a vegan,yes i do believe in animal rights,so what? acne isnt the only thing in my life,but thats not what i put that post up it was as i feel something worth mentioning from a acne point of view as i have noticed a improvment,also my bones are fine,i obtain more than enough calcium from food,fortified soya milk ext,so i think im ok there,thanks.
as i no i can do that i feel dairy for me is a no no,thats not to say anyone else isnt the same,acne is very different for everyone,and i was just sharing my experience of it ,as dan did-hey if he didnt we wouldnt be having this discussion,and also i dont see why your response was so rude there really isnt any need for it and it makes YOU look wrong,not me.

#10 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:14 PM

Calcium is absorbed way better though milk that suppliments or anything else. The vitamin D in Milk is better used than through other sources.

#11 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:04 AM

Dairy products are not the best source of calcium as they cause calcium losses at the same time as providing calcium. A third of the calcium absorbed from milk and more than two thirds of the calcium absorbed from cheese is wasted in this way. In contrast, green leafy vegetables such as kale and spring greens provide plenty of well absorbed calcium while at the same time reducing calcium losses.

Our prehistoric ancestors obtained abundant calcium from plant foods while dairy products are a recent and unnecessary innovation. A diet based on Vegan Society recommendations will have abundant amounts of calcium and potassium along with plenty of vitamin K - a key nutrient for bone health which is notably missing from milk but plentiful in green leafy vegetables.

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:21 AM

Yes but what about vitamin D? You get some from the sun, which also activates it, but one glass of milk provides half the daily amount of it. You need vitamin D for the calcuim to be absorbed. An yes I agree that vegetables like broccoli are better sources of calcium but not D.

#13 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:54 AM

vitamin D from the action of sunlight on the skin or by taking fortified foods such as soya milk, margarine (all of which are fortified by law in the UK), breakfast cereals and vitamin supplements which are made from yeast or other fungi. Fortified vegan products contain D2 (ergocalciferol).
most significant supply of vitamin D (for omnivores as well as vegans) comes from the action of ultra-violet B light on sterols in the skin

#14 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:35 AM

Our prehistoric ancestors obtained abundant calcium from plant foods while dairy products are a recent and unnecessary innovation. A diet based on Vegan Society recommendations will have abundant amounts of calcium and potassium along with plenty of vitamin K - a key nutrient for bone health which is notably missing from milk but plentiful in green leafy vegetables.

Our prehistoric ancestors also ate meat and wore animal skins. Veganism is an unnecessary innovation.

#15 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:29 AM

Our prehistoric ancestors also ate meat and wore animal skins. Veganism is an unnecessary innovation.

Our "prehistoric" ancestors probably only lived to about 30 years. Do you think they were in good health?

Humans are herbavoires by nature. We weren't meant to eat meat of other animals. Just like the mighty giraffe. biggrin.gif

#16 Someone

Someone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:00 PM

Our "prehistoric" ancestors probably only lived to about 30 years. Do you think they were in good health?

Humans are herbavoires by nature. We weren't meant to eat meat of other animals. Just like the mighty giraffe. biggrin.gif

First you guys use 'our ancestors' as an example to prove your point, and then when you see it backfired. You say: yeah well... they only lived for 30 years.

Either say something and stand by it, or don't say it at all.

#17 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:10 PM

First you guys use 'our ancestors' as an example to prove your point, and then when you see it backfired. You say: yeah well... they only lived for 30 years.  Either say something and stand by it, or don't say it at all.

What are you talking about?? Have you even read the entire thread? Please do your research before presenting your final argument. Better yet, a few rough drafts would do you good too.

#18 Animal

Animal

Bastard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:15 PM

Take away our medical technology and innovations; put us in the wild where its survival of the fittest, and I can guarantee you that a strict vegan would die before an omnivore.

We are adapted towards both meat and plant matter digestion, to deny that is to deny fact.

Also, certain animal rights activists are against dairy farming, because they believe that any form of captivity is wrong, and exploiting cows is wrong.

p.s i drink milk frequently, it does not affect my acne. I have heard tales of acne being caused by dairy though.

#19 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:30 PM

If it's survival of the fittest you want to argue, then we'd all get eaten by a pack of hyenas! But that's not the issue here. [-(

Actually, even though you may think that humans have been around for a long time, we really haven't. Our bodies have not changed much at all, while our diets have changed dramatically. Other than for the obvious reasons, Americans are simply getting fatter and fatter (getting lazier, etc.) In addition, humans were never meant to drink something intended for a baby calf. If we WERE, then there would be no such thing as lactose intolerance, and milk would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Just look at your teeth! Carnivore teeth?

#20 Animal

Animal

Bastard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:42 PM

You do have canines remember, and the incisors are equally good at slicing meat as they are plant matter.

It always was survival of the fittest, and I’m sure hyenas did eat many people; I’m talking about humans as a population.

Your argument about lactose intolerance is flawed; they are many defects present in the human gene pool, ever heard of hetrozygote recessive carriers?