Photo

Does Diet directly affect your skin? Want a Diet Forum?

juicing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe that what you eat and don't eat affects your acne? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe that what you eat and don't eat affects your acne?

1. Yes I do! We should have a diet forum to share ideas! (18 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. I believe that diet only aggravates whatever acne I have now. It doesn't cause it. (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. No. Diet has absolutely nothing to do with acne. A diet forum would be cool though. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. No. Diet has absolutely nothing to do with acne. I vote against having a diet forum. (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:43 AM

There appears to be a great divide between those who believe that:

1) Diet has absolutely no relation with acne (says the medical community who have done supposed "studies")
2) Diet simply aggravates acne and nothing more
3) Diet does directly affect your skin, cause acne, etc. Especially in the long term have acne and have life-long experience)

For those who do believe that diet has an adverse affect on your skin, then why not take those crucial steps to changing your life. People go crazy on low-carb fad diets. How important is your skin to you?[list]Even if you don't believe, it's always good to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.

This is why a [b]Diet*Food choices
*Recipes (cooking, juicing)
*Exercise tips
*Home economics
*Much more![list]Let's vote!
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#2 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:11 PM

I would love to see a separate diet forum!

This is a great idea, and the Diet board would generate lots of discussion, because whether Dan thinks so or not, a lot of people feel that acne and diet have are related somewhat, and people will discuss it no matter what, so why not give us our own forum to keep everything organised? Creating a Diet Forum sounds like a good, logical idea to me.

#3 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:35 PM

Okay, no problemo. We need a forum title and description tho. I'd like to include all "holistic" stuff in it. Something like:

Holistic Acne Remedies

A place to talk about non-medical acne remedies, including diet, supplementation, herbs, and the mind/body connection.

Whadayathink?

-Dan

#4 Joel

Joel

coke zero = win

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

Besides not know what the word "Holistic" means, I'd say it's okay. smile.gif

[sig-img:479]

#5 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:52 PM

Okay, no problemo.  We need a forum title and description tho.  I'd like to include all \"holistic\" stuff in it.  Something like:
A place to talk about non-medical acne remedies, including diet, supplementation, herbs, and the mind/body connection.

I think that "Holistic Acne Remedies" is too specific for topics that people like to cover. Essentially, I think it should be about what we do in our daily lives and how that can contribute to our skin, acne, etc.

For example:
*Exercising is said to be good for acne: release toxins, etc. (so that's not a treatment)
*Treatments like vinegar are kinda like treatments.
*Like you said, mind-body connection: Yoga, Tai-Chi, Meditation (good blood circulation)
*Trading recipes and suggesting good foods for our skin. (It's not necessarily considered to be a treatment tho)

Many people are already in full blown discussion about these things, but are in the general acne-related posts...and it seems a bit askewed.

I prefer Lifestyles for Good Holistic Health to have the word 'acne' in there, because...this is acne.org! This is what we're here for. And it's inevitable that people will want to discuss a whole plethora of other ideas. People here are loaded with valuable information. It'd be great if we could all share it with one another.

#6 missionaryman101

missionaryman101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:00 PM

How about just Lifestyle in general?
Lifestyle, Diet and Spirituality

#7 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:08 PM

Bah, i don't want to wade through topics about how to perform proper rituals for the skin god, or people being far too excited about picking stones out of their feces.... Oh well, i guess if you have to lump it all together to save space....

#8 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:14 PM

Bah, i don't want to wade through topics about how to perform proper rituals for the skin god, or people being far too excited about picking stones out of their feces...

The simplest way not to have to wade through to many topics is to not click on all of them. Self-restraint seems simple enough.

#9 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:58 PM

Wait a sec. I just had a random thought. What is this forum about then? What if I just changed the description of this forum to include diet and mind/body connection?

General acne related posts

Diet, lasers, supplements, mind/body connection, and anything else not regimen or medication related.

Or should this forum be split into 2 separate ones? One for things that are "holistic" such as diet and herbs and meditation, and the other for medical stuff like lasers and doctors. I feel like a separate forum for lasers and doctors is overkill. Or are there other non-medication and non-holistic topics I'm forgetting about?

-Dan

#10 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:43 AM

Wait a sec. I just had a random thought. What is this forum about then?  What if I just changed the description of this forum to include diet and mind/body connection?

That's true. The General acne related posts section has all the topics we want to dicuss, but the name of the forum makes for a rather broad sweep of topics. I think that splitting it up would be good. Home Remedies is a big part of the board that isn't covered in OTC or prescription.

My suggestions:[list]
(i.e. Things you actually take into or apply to your body that is natural, etc)

2) Holistic Lifestyle Forum
(i.e. The changes people make in their lives to accomodate for healthier living, detoxifying/cleansing your body for better skin [ex: steam room], etc)[list]I believe that the Prescription Forum kinda already covers doctors, surgeries and medical stuff for the most part.

#11 wantperfectskin

wantperfectskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:01 PM

Yes, two separate forums. There are just toooo many topics and breaking it down would be a lot easier.

Great idea guys. =D>

#12 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:49 PM

Honestly, I don't think going on a specific or controlled diet for acne is effective. I personally went on a strict diet for approximately 8 months and *THOUGHT* I was seeing significant results. Just the other week, I indulged in foods I typically would not consume (whilst on the diet). These being: chinese food (dripping in oil), white bread/pasta and several others, which I cannot list off the top of my head at this moment. After eating these specific foods, I noticed NO CHANGE in my skin complexion as far as acne goes. I was angry that I had wasted so much time eating mal tasting food, but at the same time happy that I could indulge in a variety of tasty foods. Today, the one food ingredient that I notice to aggravate acne significantly is excessive amounts of sugar, prevalent in candy and chocolate. I would also like to add that SEVERAL GLASSES OF WATER per day helps my acne VERY significantly. I recommend drinking 8-10glasses PER DAY.

Perhaps a diet forum is needed? I'm really not sure...I had poor results.

#13 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:58 PM

After eating these specific foods, I noticed NO CHANGE in my skin complexion as far as acne goes.

You're expecting that a simple change in your diet will bring you a miracle. It won't! At least not overnight. What people don't realize is, after living in the modernized (and unmodernized) world, and eating their standard fare, this has DESTROYED and CLOGGED up their insides with toxins, garbage, and basically affected their bodies for the worse (I'm at a loss for words right now...gotta run).

READ THIS PAGE:
http://www.stretchma...der_desease.htm

We do have a diet forum! #-o

#14 Karl

Karl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:38 PM

Dan might be the most pleasant admin on the internet
I'm gonna lick out your brain.

#15 LAET

LAET

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:35 PM

I'm a stickler for detail, and so truth be told that discretus1 wanted a forum on Dr.Perricone philosophy etc and I had suggested a holistic health forum. Ahhh.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. -John Lennon

#16 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:43 PM

After eating these specific foods, I noticed NO CHANGE in my skin complexion as far as acne goes.

You're expecting that a simple change in your diet will bring you a miracle. It won't! At least not overnight. What people don't realize is, after living in the modernized (and unmodernized) world, and eating their standard fare, this has DESTROYED and CLOGGED up their insides with toxins, garbage, and basically affected their bodies for the worse (I'm at a loss for words right now...gotta run).

READ THIS PAGE:
http://www.stretchma...der_desease.htm

We do have a diet forum! #-o

Don't put words into my mouth. Obviously you need to re-read my post, I said I was on the diet for at least 8 months.

#17 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

You misunderstood my post too. (Given that I was in a rush and didn't have time to word it properly) I was referring to your surprise when you ate bad foods and you didn't have a change in your complexion. That's what I meant by the miracle. Miracles aren't all good. Sometimes, eating "bad" food won't make your skin go nuts as some people might think, therefore, they equate diet to having absolutely nothing to do with their skin. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

#18 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:31 AM

Well, Jc - I don't really consider a "miracle" to be clear skin. I see a miracle as something like having your heart stop 10 times in a hospital bed, pronounced dead each time, but then survived. I kind of thought you were representing the pro side of dieting, because you said something about how specific foods cause toxins in our bodies, which I kind of assumed that you believe these toxins cause acne. I figured you were suggesting that I had not been on the diet long enough or something. I'm curious whether you have tried dieting? I'm curious, did you go on a specific diet? If so, I'd like to know what type of diet you went on (specific types of food) and if you saw positive results. I also read the information for liver-flushing you have posted, I see that as a huge hassle. I'm not sure if i'd rather just live with the pimpes than go through all that. I know something like that could stress me out alot. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether it is correct or not.
thanks!
Dream.

#19 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:39 AM

Haha...again, the term 'miracle' was taken out of context. I actually meant it in a sarcastic way. When you mentioned that you didn't even breakout (after 8 months of dieting) when you ate 'bad foods', I would assume that you were expecting to break out...which would constitute a "miracle" of a negative nature. I meant it sarcastically.

In any case, I do believe that diet is connected to acne, but not in the direct sense of the term that doctors would have us believe. The toxins that enter our bodies are built up over time which lead to numerous illnesses. So, in order to cure ourselves of these illnesses, we must clean out our bodies. This, in turn, will take time and dedication. Everyone is looking for that quick fix (a miracle!), but it's not going to happen like that.

Right now, I'm cleansing my body by detoxification and liver cleansing. Simple dieting will not completely cleanse your body, etc. This is where people go wrong. When they only change their diet and hope to 'cure' their acne, it doesn't happen, then they fall back on the premise that diet is not related. It's the gunk in our bodies that exist and live within our bodies that we must get rid of first. This is a VERY detailed topic, and will be surprised if you made it even this far down. lol. I hope you get my meaning though.

#20 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:57 AM

Hmm...Interesting. I suppose everything you suggest makes sense in an ideal world. But if you blame toxins for acne, then why does acne usually only occur in puberty stages? Only teens have toxins? or do adults do too? =[ </end sarcasm>

Oh, and another thing, wouldn't you consider Accutane to be that "miracle" drug to clear acne almost instantaneously?