Photo

BLU-U/Levulan after effects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 matthewvern

matthewvern

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

So, today is Sunday and I did the blu light/levulan therapy on Friday around noon. 2 hours letting the levulan sit and then 10 minutes in the box. Now, my face looks like it is made of leather. Thick leather. I can barely open my mouth and I am wondering how long this "leather" look lasts? Anyone?

I can deal with redness, but this leather texture has got me going crazy. How long until the skin starts peeling away?

#2 maggieoscar

maggieoscar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

I've been all over the internet these last two days looking to see if my Levulan / Blu light effects were normal. I'm really, really scared right now. Like you, I had my treatment this past Friday (2 days ago) and I've since had SEVERE burning and swelling as well as what looks like white head / blisters breaking out. I've called the doctor who said this is fine and will disappear in time. How much time? I was expecting only redness for one day and peeling for today, but I'm not even at the peeling stage. Like you, my face is very tight and leathery and still extrememly red. It seems to be turning brown now in some spots. I look like a monster and have been crying alot.

Please tell me that this is normal and that I will get my face back again. Right now I have nothing but regrets.

#3 matthewvern

matthewvern

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (maggieoscar @ Aug 3 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been all over the internet these last two days looking to see if my Levulan / Blu light effects were normal. I'm really, really scared right now. Like you, I had my treatment this past Friday (2 days ago) and I've since had SEVERE burning and swelling as well as what looks like white head / blisters breaking out. I've called the doctor who said this is fine and will disappear in time. How much time? I was expecting only redness for one day and peeling for today, but I'm not even at the peeling stage. Like you, my face is very tight and leathery and still extrememly red. It seems to be turning brown now in some spots. I look like a monster and have been crying alot.

Please tell me that this is normal and that I will get my face back again. Right now I have nothing but regrets.

Whoa whoa whoa, no need to worry so much. This is what we paid for. If you stress out there is a possibility it could just get worse. My doc said this was to be expected. Either way this skin will fall off and new healthy skin will emerge. Don't worry so much. Just breathe and take it day by day. Apply your moisturizer and wait it out. You won't be stuck like this. I promise.

#4 maggieoscar

maggieoscar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

Thank you for your support! Yes, I am freaking out because the procedure after effects have been much more severe than I had been lead to believe. My skin is still red and raw and I'm going on day 4. Is this normal? I was not expecting this response at all which is why I'm so upset.

Could you tell me what your skin looks like right now so I can see if what is happening to me is normal? I'm thinking that I'll be hiding out in my room for at least 7 days, which I did not expect at all. Is this reaction normal or is it worse than it should be? My derm. is gone on holiday until Tues. so I'm having a lot of anxiety right now because I have no one to talk to!

Could you please tell me exactly what you are experiencing - are you still very red, blistering, and starting to dry out? Also, I forgot to ask if it was okay to put my face in the water when having a shower!!! Is this okay? Thank you so much for your response as it is the only thing keeping me from going quite crazy with regret right now.

#5 matthewvern

matthewvern

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (maggieoscar @ Aug 3 2008, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your support! Yes, I am freaking out because the procedure after effects have been much more severe than I had been lead to believe. My skin is still red and raw and I'm going on day 4. Is this normal? I was not expecting this response at all which is why I'm so upset.

Could you tell me what your skin looks like right now so I can see if what is happening to me is normal? I'm thinking that I'll be hiding out in my room for at least 7 days, which I did not expect at all. Is this reaction normal or is it worse than it should be? My derm. is gone on holiday until Tues. so I'm having a lot of anxiety right now because I have no one to talk to!

Could you please tell me exactly what you are experiencing - are you still very red, blistering, and starting to dry out? Also, I forgot to ask if it was okay to put my face in the water when having a shower!!! Is this okay? Thank you so much for your response as it is the only thing keeping me from going quite crazy with regret right now.

Well, I can't really open my mouth all the way to eat because my skin is so tight. It's all red. Like a fucked up sunburn. There are small patches of flaky skin, maybe two or three. Whenever I move my face my skin takes on the appearance of rippling leather. I'm not in any pain. I definitely can feel the fact that my skin is extremely chapped. Tightness. I felt prepared after reading the treatment reviews on this site and my experience is living up to what I read. My derm showed me an after pic of what to expect and that's where I am. My skin color is dark red/maroon. There is a definite visible threshold from normal skin to levulan blue lit skin. Especially around my lips and eyes.
Most of the reviews said to prepare for at least a week of crazy looking skin. That's what I've prepared for. Don't fret. Know that you now have a week of this, at most, to deal with. There's nothing we can do about that. Just keep calm and breath and try and work around this. If you're worried about work or school just talk to people about possible "work arounds" for this week, because I'm sure they'll be more understanding than you might think.

I showered last night (Saturday) and let some cool water run down my face for a few seconds. I'm alive so it must be okay to do. If it gets uncomfortable at any point, I'd stay stop. Just try to avoid the face in the shower while you wash. I feel that I look like a statue in a museum or something.

#6 maggieoscar

maggieoscar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I can see now that my dr. did me a disservice because I was NOT made aware of these severe side effects. I did not plan on more than 2 or 3 days of downtime. Thank God this is "normal". It is so hard for me to eat or even smile right now.

I'm so grateful for your response because I was beginning to feel all alone in this. I would have never have done this if I had known about this, which is where you have a big advantage over me - you knew and were expecting it!

Is your skin also tight and tingling? I have had the fan blowing on me constantly. Are we supposed to wash our face or just keep applying moisturizer? I honestly don't think I could have made it through today if it weren't for your response. Thanks more than I can say. Please let me know your progress! I'm stuck in this room for at least another 5 days (so it seems) so I will look for your progress and post mine.

#7 matthewvern

matthewvern

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (maggieoscar @ Aug 3 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you so much for your quick reply! I can see now that my dr. did me a disservice because I was NOT made aware of these severe side effects. I did not plan on more than 2 or 3 days of downtime. Thank God this is "normal". It is so hard for me to eat or even smile right now.

I'm so grateful for your response because I was beginning to feel all alone in this. I would have never have done this if I had known about this, which is where you have a big advantage over me - you knew and were expecting it!

Is your skin also tight and tingling? I have had the fan blowing on me constantly. Are we supposed to wash our face or just keep applying moisturizer? I honestly don't think I could have made it through today if it weren't for your response. Thanks more than I can say. Please let me know your progress! I'm stuck in this room for at least another 5 days (so it seems) so I will look for your progress and post mine.

No prob. My derm said that after 48hrs, I could try gentle cleansing with Cetaphil or Purpose. Apply moisturizer graciously morning and night and even in between if you feel the need to. After a week I was told it was okay to resume my Tazorac. Im not tingling anymore. I was at first but that stopped and now I just feel chapped all over. Once this skin starts peeling Im sure I will feel relieved.

Im sorry to hear that your derm failed to inform you about all of this. Next time you see him/her let them know how unprofessional that was and print this off and show it to them because they're not getting paid to take the money and leave you in the dark. Thats some bull shit if I ever smelled some. No worries. All will be well. The nurse who did my treatment had no sense of humor regarding the matter when I tried to joke about it. I understand why now. She was completely serious about looking scary.

#8 maggieoscar

maggieoscar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

I just had another crying bout - I'm just so sad and overwhelmed by all of this. It seems like my face is getting worse, if that is possible. It is a red-brown colour now and very dry. I wish to God it would just peel.. I've been reading this forum all day and it seems I have one of the most severe reactions there is. I'm just so sad and depressed and I would never wish this on anyone.

Is your face turning a dark brown now like mine? This is the worst experience of my life, especially since I didn't ask for it. Your positive attitude is the only thing that is keeping me going right now. I can't even look at myself in the mirror. Are you having any second thoughts or regrets or do you have absolute faith that it will be okay? What if it never goes away? That is my biggest worry and that is why I am so scared. Have you ever heard of any cases where the person does not heal? Or is it just that severe cases like mine will take more than 7 days to heal? I am on vacation next week so I can hide out at home until Friday night, when I have to go to a wedding. I'm having doubts that I'll be able to make it there...

What did your doc tell you as far as the turning point? How many days until its starts to get better? I'm still very, very scared. Please tell me everything you know about the healing process. I'm worried because I thought I would be peeling by now. Are you peeling yet?

#9 maggieoscar

maggieoscar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:44 AM

To address your initial question regarding how to help that tight, leathery skin feeling: I used some pure vitamin E this morning. I had some on hand that I used for small burns in the past, so I decided to try it to help relieve some of the pain. I put it on very gently and the relief was immediate. Some of the dry patches on my skin came off. It acted a little bit like a very gentle exfoliator. I'm writing down my whole ordeal on another post. Please join into that post because people need to hear real life experiences like ours.

So how are you feeling / doing today? Have you started to peel? Has any of your redness gone? I'm still very red brown, especially around the eyes. I'm not peeling around the eyes at all. I'm a little worried that this red brown colour won't go away. My forehead is now a pink red colour and a good bit of the skin on the right side of my chin has peeled way, just like a sunburn heal, leaving pink skin. What are your experiencing? Thanks again for sharing with me - I don't feel so alone!

#10 kscheers4u

kscheers4u

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (maggieoscar @ Aug 3 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got the levulan treatment on friday. I just wanted to remind you that we got ourselves into a more extreme procedure considering that this treatment was used originally on cancer patients. yes, the side effects are crazy. If it makes you feel any better my skin isn't peeling either. It is RED and scaly and my forehead, eyes, and inbetween my nose is EXTREMELY swollen. I seriously look like I got beat up. But just look at all the other people that are freaking out about their faces and you'll realize it's probably normal; that helped me haha. You also probably know that we were supposed to stay out of light for at least 48 hours. The place where I got mine done recommended 3 days. That INCLUDES THE COMPUTER. Now it is fine to be on. But if you have been online for the past 3 days or so, then that might be affecting your results. I'm not an expert or anything, but I just thought I might be able to help a little bit. Sorry if I didn't. Do you know how long it will be until our skin gets better?

#11 CMur

CMur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi,
I just read your posts and I too find it reassuring that others are experiencing some of the same side-effects that I am. I had the treatment done Monday afternoon and I'm still panicking! I'm hoping that I don't have scars. Like Maggie, I had severe blistering, with lots of puss coming out the blisters. However, it wasn't my entire face that reacted this way, just my chin and a bit in the laugh line area. I am RED to say the least. It has been 4 days and my chin has started to peel but only to reveal extremely red, raw looking skin underneath. I'm surious if when you peeled, it was very red underneath too??? How did yours heel Maggie? How long did it take? From what you described, it sounds like we had a similar reaction. I have been hiding out for 4 days which is really unpleasant (my kids want to play outside!!!). My Dr. said redness and peeling. Nothing was ever mentionned about blisters, cracking skin and a bit of bleeding!!! I am quite scared but I'm hoping things will be ok. I too, have a wedding to attend tomorrow...looks like my husband will be going solo!