Photo

Iron Free Foods?

garlic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 bosR

bosR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

I have been searching around on the internet, trying to find a list of iron free foods. It seems everything that you eat today has a percentage of iron in it. I know that iron has many benefits especially for women, but I am a guy, so some of these benefits don't really apply. But the big concern here is, slow healing. Slow healing can be due to high levels of iron in your system! So I was thinking that we could start getting a list going on the acne.org forums.

The only iron free foods I found and are using:

Egg Whites
Olives
Milk
Italian Garlic Dressing
Propel fit water/Drinks
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Tomato Sauce
Fruit
Cottage Cheese

Thats all I can come up with. Crazy, right? Hope this list gets long. Thanks for everyones input!

#2 pinkshoeaddict

pinkshoeaddict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (bosR @ Jul 25 2008, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been searching around on the internet, trying to find a list of iron free foods. It seems everything that you eat today has a percentage of iron in it. I know that iron has many benefits especially for women, but I am a guy, so some of these benefits don't really apply. But the big concern here is, slow healing. Slow healing can be due to high levels of iron in your system! So I was thinking that we could start getting a list going on the acne.org forums.

The only iron free foods I found and are using:

Egg Whites
Olives
Milk
Italian Garlic Dressing
Propel fit water/Drinks
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Tomato Sauce
Fruit
Cottage Cheese

Thats all I can come up with. Crazy, right? Hope this list gets long. Thanks for everyones input!

No one benefits from anemia, and while it's certainly more rare in men than women, avoiding iron will probably help put you onto that path.

#3 bosR

bosR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

If you have too much iron in your system in the first place, limiting iron will not cause anemia, especially in guys. Why do you think they have Heavy Metal Detox solutions?

#4 sleaman

sleaman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (bosR @ Jul 25 2008, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have too much iron in your system in the first place, limiting iron will not cause anemia, especially in guys. Why do you think they have Heavy Metal Detox solutions?

Not to remove iron from your body. Heavy metal detoxes are primarily used for removing mercury, lead, cadmium, arsenic etc. I dont think you have worry about eating iron. Have you been tested to see if you even have high levels of iron to begin with?

#5 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

What are the Symptoms of Iron Overload or Hemochromatosis?
While there is no distinct set of symptoms that indicate iron overload, early symptoms of iron overload or hemochromatosis include:

* Fatigue
* Weakness
* Weight loss
* Joint pain
* Abdominal pain

As iron overload progresses, patients often experience:

* Arthritis
* Symptoms of Gonadal failure
* Dyspnea or shortness of breath

Certain conditions are associated with the advanced stages of hemochromatosis. These conditions include:

* Arthritis
* Abnormal liver function
* Glucose intolerance
* Diabetes
* Severe fatigue
* Hypopituitarism
* Hypogonadism
* Cardiomyopathy and arrhythmia
* Liver cirrhosis
* Liver cancer
* Heart failure
* Gray or bronze skin pigmentation

Other factors may influence the progression of hemochromatosis. These factors include:

* Excess iron in the diet
* Alcohol consumption
* Vitamin C intake
* Infections
* Iron lost through menstruation or blood donations
* Environmental factors

How is Iron Overload Diagnosed?
Diagnosing iron overload or hemochromatosis early is essential for preventing many of the disease’s potentially life-threatening consequences. Although routine medical checkups do not include testing for iron overload, diagnosis is as simple as running two simple, inexpensive, blood tests. Fasting is required for both the transferrin saturation and serum ferritinblood tests. If you have a close blood relative, or have the signs and symptoms of hemochromatosis, ask your health care provider to run these simple and life-saving tests today.
What is the Treatment for Iron Overload or Hemochromatosis?
The preferred treatment for reducing iron levels in hemochromatosis patients is called therapeutic phlebotomy. Phlebotomy is simply the removing of blood from the body. Begun early, phlebotomy prevents much of the damage that is caused by iron overload. Patients who have no evidence of tissue or organ damage when diagnosed can often expect a full and normal life. Patients who already have organ or tissue damage can stop the progression of hemochromatosis and expect no further damage, a reduction in symptoms, and improved life expectancy once phlebotomy begins.

The usual course of treatment is phlebotomy in which one unit of whole blood is removed once or twice weekly. Phlebotomy continues until all excess iron is removed. Iron levels in the blood are monitored continuously throughout treatment. The length and frequency of treatment is determined by patient age, gender, reason for diagnosis, and severity of symptoms.

Once normal iron levels are achieved, the frequency of phlebotomy may be reduced to three or four times a year according to individual patient symptoms and levels of hemoglobin and serum ferritin.

Source: Centers for Disease Control - CDC

#6 bosR

bosR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

I think we are going around acne all wrong. Take a look at how much iron is in bread. A slice of five grain bread has about 15%. Look at all the pastas out on the markets today, specially eating whole grain pasta, 25% per serving.

I got a cold about a year ago. Thinking it was a little cold, I remember popping a few multivitamins with iron a day, not thinking much about it. Long story short, I got sick over a year ago with headaches, pneumonia, and fatigue. Few months after, I had my first acne breakout of my entire life. After a year of seeing doctors, I gave up on them. The medical community has become so corrupt. Instead of trying to fix our problems they are just cascading our problems onto our original problems with pills.

We can all agree on this forum, that sugar is a major factor in acne. But the question is why? In the Blood Journal, they say an increase in fructose can cause iron absorption to increase also.

http://bloodjournal....nt/24/5/577.pdf

Saturated Fats and Vitamin C are supposed to increase iron absorption. Milk and anti-acids are suppose to reduce iron absorption.

So is Iron overloads behind acne........ Just a thought!

#7 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

All aboard the nekobus!!!

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hey, I'm anemic, and I still have acne. And let me tell you, being anemic is no fun. I'm always tired, I bruise super easily, I feel crappy all the time... I mean, I eat regular food and stuff--I'm not on any restrictive diets, and I'm still not getting enough iron. I seriously doubt that anyone with a normal diet is going to be overloaded with iron. So unless your doctor specifically tells you you need to decrease your iron intake, I wouldn't mess with it.

#8 bosR

bosR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hey, I am glad you posted, c'est la vigne. As I said, I don't know if there is a connection with Iron and Acne. This is all a guess, so I really like anyone's input. I have some questions though, do you drink milk? Do you eat meat, any kind..... beef, chicken, fish....? How bad is your acne? Where is it located? Back, Face, Chest, Legs? How many grams of mono-unsaturated fats do you get in one day?

#9 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

I drink milk every now and again. I know it can hinder iron absorption, so I've cut back a lot since I started taking iron supplements a few weeks ago. I also eat meat. I loooooves me a good steak. Like I said, I just have a typical diet. Bread, fruit (citrus and otherwise), veggies, meat (chicken, steak, burgers)... You know. Typical. I don't know anything about mono-unsaturated fats, though, sorry. I mean, I try to eat pretty healthy, so...

And my acne isn't too bad lately. Right now I only have two zits, but I've also been on The Regimen for two months, and I'm on birth control. Before I got on The Regimen, I'd say my acne was generally between mild and moderate. I generally only break out on my face, but very occasionally, I get a few blemishes on my back as well.

#10 bosR

bosR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:26 PM

You know that grilled chicken and steaks might not be helping your overall mood. Grilled Chicken or steaks tend to be very low in mono-unsaturated and very high in saturated fats.

Hey, I know how it feels to have fatigue, memory problems, and etc. But unlike your doctors, don't give up. They told me I had allergies and I need to start popping pills. I think that was a lot of BS, because I am allergy free now, just by changing certain things in my diet, like adding salad dressing to my salads(low in saturated fat, but high in poly or mono fats) and eating meat once a week. I do believe everyone is different because where we initially came from. I found that for me a Mediterranean diet helped 100% of my symptoms.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I tend to see more guys having acne, rather than girls. Or is it just that all you ladies out there know how to use makeup real good?

#11 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (bosR @ Aug 1 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know that grilled chicken and steaks might not be helping your overall mood. Grilled Chicken or steaks tend to be very low in mono-unsaturated and very high in saturated fats.

Hey, I know how it feels to have fatigue, memory problems, and etc. But unlike your doctors, don't give up. They told me I had allergies and I need to start popping pills. I think that was a lot of BS, because I am allergy free now, just by changing certain things in my diet, like adding salad dressing to my salads(low in saturated fat, but high in poly or mono fats) and eating meat once a week. I do believe everyone is different because where we initially came from. I found that for me a Mediterranean diet helped 100% of my symptoms.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I tend to see more guys having acne, rather than girls. Or is it just that all you ladies out there know how to use makeup real good?

Trust me, it's just that we wear makeup. Girls get acne just as bad as guys.

#12 bosR

bosR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

I think that where your acne is located will tell where your system imbalance is coming from. For example, if your face is having problems, the ratio of good fats to bad fats is out of proportion. If you acne is on your body, this might be more of a digestive problem.

The digestive problem might not be directly related to iron, but your overall acidity of your stomach might be causing the problem. Iron is a metal and your body's stomach acid will regulate how much is absorbed. If your stomach acid is too acidic, then more iron will be absorbed. There could be other elements out there like iron.

An iron blood test is not a common blood test, so unless you have a real good doctor or insist on having a iron blood test done, I don't think you will know if you have high iron levels. If you do have symptoms like Fatigue, Weakness, Weight loss, Joint pain, and Abdominal pain, that could be enough to convince you to have an iron blood test done.

I can't honestly say I have had a blood test done due to the lack of funds, but I will within the next couple of weeks. As for now though, limiting my iron intake and acid intake seems to be helping the problem.

Again just my thoughts....... Thoughts?

#13 dude1234

dude1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

No one benefits from anemia, and while it's certainly more rare in men than women, avoiding iron will probably help put you onto that path.

For men especially it is highly unlikely avoiding iron will put one path to anemia. The food industry fortifies lots of food with Iron simply because it is cheap and they score brownie points with various parties.

The overall effect of this practice is probably negative. The body tends to hoard Iron because in the past life was much harsher and people tended to bleed periodically.

It is easy for any adult that doesn't bleed regularly to accumulate too much Iron. There are studies showing that men who donate blood are healthier and live longer than those that don't. For more information see this article:

<a href="http://raypeat.com/a...ngers.shtml</a>

That said, I have no idea what relation Iron consumption has to acne.

#14 dude1234

dude1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (bosR @ Aug 1 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I know how it feels to have fatigue, memory problems, and etc. But unlike your doctors, don't give up. They told me I had allergies and I need to start popping pills. I think that was a lot of BS, because I am allergy free now, just by changing certain things in my diet, like adding salad dressing to my salads(low in saturated fat, but high in poly or mono fats) and eating meat once a week.

I'd be careful with the polyunsaturated fats. From a historical perspective, people in the past ate much less pufas and probably not well adapted to handle them. Industrially processed oils like soybean oil and corn oil were only invented in the past 100 years or so. Likewise animals are fed more grains than in the past which increases their tissue concentrations of pufas (also fattens them btw - which could be partly causing the obesity epidemic).

Further more skepticism is warranted regarding the vilification of saturated fats. The sat fat/cholesterol heart disease idea is pushed by industry (it is all about the money!). At best it is an exaggerated danger misstated by the medical/pharmaceutical industry. There are cultures much healthier than Americans that consume large quantities of sat fats like the Masai. However, that doesn't mean it is good for western peoples that grew up eating a starch based diet and though the Masai have very good health, it is not perfect.

My personal experience with fats is a large improvement in my skin quality when avoiding vegetable oils and pork fats (chicken is usually pretty lean). My acne is not very bad and it seems to be affected much more by sugar consumption than fats.