Photo

Does toothpaste really help acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 kewlfewl

kewlfewl

The Devil's Son

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I've read that if you put a small dab of toothpaste on a pimple it will shrink it. Anyone can confirm this?
i'm the type to snap in heavin wit a mac-11

#2 Kaley

Kaley

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

I've heard this too.
But I've noticed if I don't wash my face after I brush my teeth then I get whiteheads.
I'll be interested in what other people say.

"In three words i can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Experience_The_Pat: guys my elbow just touched a boob! *high five*

Michaelangelo1: kaley
Michaelangelo1: you know
Michaelangelo1: Ive never told you this before
Michaelangelo1: but...
Michaelangelo1: you're like my own personal brand of heroin

#3 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

try it and see, i think there is .005% probability that it will work tho. i dont understand the reasoning why it could work.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#4 366490

Sean H. Tran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:42 AM

Its works for those that gets pimples once in a blue moon, toothpaste has sulfur in it thats why. Pls don't try it, it burns yours skin.
masculinity is the ability to flirt with the effeminate

#5 myskin_2008

myskin_2008

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

No, it will just make your skin irritated sad.gif

#6 Elsewhere

Elsewhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

Toothpaste is supposed to be a "drying agent", but it is not anywhere near as effective as actual acne medication such as BP or SA (both of which you can get over the counter).
"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."- Gkar, Objects in Motion

"I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos. The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves." - Carl Sagan

#7 Paballo

Paballo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (366490 @ Jul 22 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its works for those that gets pimples once in a blue moon, toothpaste has sulfur in it thats why. Pls don't try it, it burns yours skin.

I agree with you totally, coz I once tried it and it worked for 2days after that my skin got burned,it opened my pores hence I have holes on my cheeks cry.gif . So Kewlfewl DO NOT TRY IT!!!!

#8 acnesucksdonkeys69

acnesucksdonkeys69

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

i don't know, i had a gigantic pimple right next to my lip yesterday that hurt when i talked. last night i put a tiny bit of toothpaste on it and today it doesnt hurt nearly as much and it swolled down a lot. but i would only use it for the huge pimples that i get every once in a while

#9 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

It's just a myth. The only people who say that it works are people who get a spot once a year and even then the toothpaste doesn't make any difference. There spots just don't last very long.
When I'm clear, I'm on top of the world. When I have acne, I'm lost.

View my blog here

#10 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

There's research out there that says that fluoride in toothpaste can cause an acne-like rash around the mouth.
-Temp123

Using a combination of topical ibuprofen (5% sports gel) on face together with 10% tea tree cream. The combo works really well, excellent clearance, invisible, no bleaching, zero irritation, no dry skin, just smooth, (mostly) clear skin.

Topical ibuprofen is available in supermarkets in the UK (own brands are cheapest).

#11 torvold

torvold

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

ok, some toothpaste contains an antimicrobial called triclosan. Its in Colgate total for example (look under active ingrediants). It may kill some p.acnes like BP but w/ all those other ingrediants that are ment for teeth.

#12 Synderella

Synderella

I hate RED MARKS!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:52 AM

NOO it can irritate acne it helps for people who get pimples once in awhile...... it dries it out descently but what I recommend is proactiv sulfur mask you can use it as a spot treatment for pimples best thing in the world and to tell you the truth I hate proactiv but I love that product.

#13 djh123

djh123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

/

Edited by djh123, 04 September 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#14 Me&MyDog

Me&MyDog

Inefficiency Expert

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

uhh, I wouldn't try it. A small amount may work, I've heard that before too, but I had a horrible experience with it some years back. I put a pea-sized smudge of it on a pimple before bed and woke up the next day with a huge red scab on that area. I mean, a scab as in the kind you get when you scrape your knee. It was bizarre! The scab wasn't as large as a dime, but about halfway between a dime and a pencil eraser head. It lasted for weeks and the scar for the better part of a year. Maybe it was the brand I used! Sorry, don't remember which kind it was. Or maybe I shouldn't have kept it on overnight.

I'd stick with tea tree oil or BP.

#15 Charybdis

Charybdis

1987 - 2009 You will be dearly missed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:14 AM

Well, I don't get spots on my teeth, so I guess it does.
The Laws of Ryantology :

I hereby believe, and accept Ryantology as my faith, and shall live by the following laws laid before me:

1. I will do whatever makes me happiest in life, just don't take the piss.
2. I believe that 'There ain't no party like an S Club Party'

#16 Yo Adrienne!

Yo Adrienne!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

i read somewhere that tartar control toothpaste can cause acne around the mouth. so if you have this problem, find a toothpaste that doesnt say "tartar control" on it. helped me. but i would never put it on my face intentionally

#17 SaccharineCarnage

SaccharineCarnage

Poetic Violence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Calibos @ Nov 6 2008, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I don't get spots on my teeth, so I guess it does.

AHAHHAAHAHAHAHAH!
*calms down.

ANYWAYS,
It usually works for people who get zits once every, oh, let's say two months?
I tried it once and I got a gigantor ... scab-like thing on my face. It left me with a mark 10x darker than any hyperpigmentation I'd ever had in my life, including the zits that I picked at constantly! So I wouldn't recommend it.

"The day that you become gorgeous is the day that you realize and accept that you don't have to be stunning to be okay with yourself."
--- M. Huang.

#18 beautifuldoll

beautifuldoll

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

hell i've got toothpaste on my spots right now. I've been doing it on and off for a while now, and honestly I can't remember if it works. I just like to feel that i'm doing something for the bumps on my face.
It doesn't burn me though.
Trying to find my way back to being me!

#19 Mike93

Mike93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

Tried it once- didn't really work. But I heard that Toothpaste is supposed to kill bacteria in your teeth so on paper, it should kill bacteria in your pimples but nothing ever works out on paper. Also, it doesn't burn your face- It's just minty.

#20 TruBeautyWithin

TruBeautyWithin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

haha i've tried toothpaste on spots. right before bed i put it on. i just hated the minty smell and then if i put my face on the pillow it would stain it..also it was kinda irritating BUT the pimple did reduce in size smile.gif