Photo

SAUERKRAUT..AS A PROBIOTIC/fermented food

probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 ariellestar1234

ariellestar1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hey, so how do you make this sauerkraut for a fermented food?
I used to hate sauerkraut, but now I ont..

I read, cabbage,dill and lemons....so how do you make it?
and is this a good enough probiotic/fermented food?
"we may encounter many defeats,but we must not be defeated".

#2 ariellestar1234

ariellestar1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

BUMP, PLEASE?

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

http://www.healingcr...fun/ferfun.html

http://www.cooks.com...-247207,00.html

It takes time, though.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#4 ariellestar1234

ariellestar1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

Thanks alternativista wink.gif ..
I am going organic shopping next week, and I will pick up those supplies..
I cant wait...I need some probiotic something, becuase I think I have waaay too many bad bacteria in side of me.

#5 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

buy it pre made in a can, why try to make your own??
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#6 ariellestar1234

ariellestar1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

Really, I can just buy it?
from where?
and how much?
would it still give me the fermented probiotics?

Thanks!!

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (ariellestar1234 @ Jul 18 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really, I can just buy it?
from where?
and how much?
would it still give me the fermented probiotics?

Thanks!!

You can buy it at any grocery in the canned veggie aisle, but most will have been pasteurized and have no live probiotics. Try health food stores, maybe.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#8 sleaman

sleaman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

yea the stuff you get in the store sucks compared to homemade. The only store brand I know of that still has live cultures is called "Bubbies". They make some good fermented pickles too but it just costs too much when its so easy to make. I use whey as a starter like is suggested in Nourishing Traditions but I dont think its really required. Im not a huge fan of sauerkraut buts good when you throw a bunch of other things in too. You know you can basically lacto-ferment any vegetable you want. A good book to check out if you want to get into it is called "WIld Fermentation", dont know the author off the top of my head but i got it off amazon for like $10.

#9 Adri Chan

Adri Chan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

I found this kim chi maker, don't know if it's work though :

http://store.therawd...saandkimch.html

[sig-img:469]

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (sleaman @ Jul 18 2008, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea the stuff you get in the store sucks compared to homemade. The only store brand I know of that still has live cultures is called "Bubbies". They make some good fermented pickles too but it just costs too much when its so easy to make. I use whey as a starter like is suggested in Nourishing Traditions but I dont think its really required. Im not a huge fan of sauerkraut buts good when you throw a bunch of other things in too. You know you can basically lacto-ferment any vegetable you want. A good book to check out if you want to get into it is called "WIld Fermentation", dont know the author off the top of my head but i got it off amazon for like $10.

'Nourishing Traditions' has recipes for fermenting all kinds of veggies. You might find some recipes posted on the Weston Price Foundation site.