Photo

I'm 100% better! (UPDATED 2011!)

gluten paleo candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hey all you skin healing people! smile.gif I noticed this old thread of mine was in the success compilation thread, and since some people might be looking at it, I figured I'd update this original post with how things have changed since then. I'll try and make comments/changes in a different color so you guys can sort through it easily

-deja /april 2011.

Hey everyone, I know I haven't been around in sooo long. Sorry! confused.gif
And that's because my skin is now perfect. It's so amazing. I NEVER, ever in a trillion years thought I'd have skin like this! eusa_dance.gif

In the end, it was gluten sensitivity. Yup. My overall health situation is more complicated than just that but gluten sensitivity was the cause. I discovered my celiac condition and it took a long time to really understand that gluten is in EVERYTHING. FOr so long, I thought just giving up bread, pizza and pasta would be enough, but no, even a microscopic molecule makes a huge difference. It was to be 100% gluten free, for a long long time for the reaction to stop.

Notes- All of the above was definitely true, but what I didn't know at the time was that it wasn't JUST gluten. The gluten intolerance had caused a lot of damage to my gut, as well as other food intolerances. I didn't know about the other food intolerances at the time and I still had a lot of work ahead of me. I think I received such success at the beginning with eliminating gluten alone because my body was SO damaged that ANY healing relaxed my skin a lot. So at the time it seemed like my skin was "100% better" but really, I was probably only healed about 80-90% and it took eliminating the other bad foods (soy, corn, dairy) and getting on a grain free diet to heal the gut damage. So I wasn't only avoiding allergens but HEALING so that I would be less allergic in general.

So to sum it up, I took the gluten free diet's healing power and built upon it over the next few years by also eliminating soy, corn, dairy, and going on a gut healing diet (basically a high raw version of the paleo diet-similar anyway)

It's more than my skin, my entire life has changed. And it's more than just gluten, I've also done a number of other things that have helped my body, and CHANGED MY LIFE.

Overall, I'd have to list the things I've done that have made a big difference:

1)cleansing (parasite/liver/bowel/etc), the benefits of this stuff has been debated many times here but I'll just say its important and leave it at that.

2)Emotional Freedom Technique -NOT stressing and being emotionally "right" inside is very important to overall health, this therapy is LIFE changing as far as I'm concerned.

3)IODINE therapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. By far the most important thing I've ever done for my body besides avoiding gluten, iodine is an ESSENTIAL nutrient, and VERY VERY important to balancing hormones and the entire body. There is so much we need iodine for I can't list it all here, but it plays a key role in detoxification, elimination, hormones, the list goes on and on, and the bullshit about it causing acne is because in the beginning, if you are gluten sensitive iodine intensifes that reaction until the antibody deposits are cleared from the skin (*this process took about a month 100% free for me*), and Iodine also may detox halogens through the skin. This makes it have a bad rap, but trust me, it WILL pass and iodine therapy will change your life. I cannot stress this enough.

I take 100mgs (thats 16 drops)a day of iodine and my skin is gorgeous. It does NOT "cause" acne.

Notes- While I still strongly believe iodine is a VERY important nutrient, something strange happened to me in the years after I wrote this post. It just became too much for my system to take heavy loads of iodine. I am still trying to figure out why exactly this is. Possibly I am ingesting some toxin I am not aware of somehow (and therefore remaining in a perpetual healing crisis if I take iodine) or perhaps my body just got enough. Either way, I am no longer taking iodine supplements at this time. I might try taking them again at some point in the future, we'll see. For now I just use sea salt with natural iodine.

4)Of course, GLUTEN FREE DIET! This is not just for skin but for the entire body. I did so much right before, and liver flushing and good diet, supplements, etc. all seemed to never work "right" and I was always like "WHY???? HOW CAN I TAKE ALL THESE SUPPS AND HAVE THEM DO NOTHING!"

This is because gluten destroys the intestines to where they cannot absorb nutrients properly. Celiac is a malabsorption disease. So I was spending hundreds of dollars a month on supplements I couldn't even absorb! Oh, the madness! lol!

Notes- All of the above is true.

Now, as long as I avoid gluten, I can eat whatever I want. Of course, I choose to eat healthy but for the most part, I can eat whatever I want. I can eat an entire box of cookies as long as its gluten free. I enjoy chocolate and chips and ice cream when I feel like it. Having a properly iodined body has completely eliminated any candida problems *no yeast infections since having been on it* so there aren't worries about eating sugar (of course I don't overdo it). Oh another thing about iodine, it's balanced my hormones so much that the nightmare PMS I experienced before is now nonexistent. And my periods are regular.

Notes- All of the above is SO not true. LOL Like I said earlier, at that time I was just enjoying the early stages of healing from gluten, but I can't eat a box of cookies or any of that nonsense. After awhile I began having consequences (breakouts and sickness) from that sort of behavior, and I learned that all grains and sugar effect my system and cause acne to flare up. The iodine stuff was true at the time, it's unfortunate that something made it stop working for me because I really miss all of those effects....

But yeah, just to be clear, you can't eat an entire box of cookies and ice cream and what not with no consequences. I definitely was hyped up and excited at the time and I spoke too soon without waiting for longer term results.

5)Proper skin care. I am using Dans BP gel, an exfoliant(It's called beginnings, and its EXPENSIVE, but worth it!), and grapeseed oil as a moisterizer(usually mixed with Dans moisterizer or a sunscreen for daytime). But honestly, I don't really think I need Dans BP anymore, I'm just using it as a "back up" which is silly because I was on the regimen for years and still had awful breakouts the whole time, it helped heal the skin reaction ONCE it was already there but because gluten breakouts(actually called Dermatitis Herpetiformis, which usually appears like a rash on the body but for many people presents itself on the face, like acne) are not the same as normal acne, it cannot prevent them. And since I know its from gluten now I'm wondering if I go off the regimen and stay gluten free, if my skin will just be normal. I'll probably just start doing the regimen every other day or so after awhile and see how I do. I wont be able to do it after a certain point anyway because I'm going backpacking around the world and wont be able to carry all that stuff with me!

Notes- As you can see, I was still using BP at the time, which showed that my skin wasn't truly healed yet back then (because of the dairy, soy and grains I was still eating) Now I don't need BP, I only use it once in a great while if I accidentally eat something that I'm allergic to and have a break out. I try not to do much to my skin these days. I do facials once in awhile with clay and what not but it's more for fun and pampering than for actual skin care. I exfoliate my skin with a loofah and dry skin brush, and I still use my trusty grapeseed oil for moisterizing!

So those are my steps.

1)proper cleansing/body maintenece
2)proper care for emotional issues
3)IODINEEEEE!
4)GLUTEN/CORN/SOY/DAIRY/GRAIN/Processed Sugar FREE/ HIGH RAW DIET! (100% and yes, "cheating" every few weeks or months DOES matter) eusa_naughty.gif
5)Proper skin care.

Well thats about all I've got. Thats my success story. After years and years, it finally happened for me. Please, never give up. I WAS "that girl who tried everything" until I tried the few things that made a difference. Please never give up you guys. I went from having skin so disgusting that people on the street stared at me, to having better skin that MOST people I know and being complimented on my "nice skin". NEVER GIVE UP! Believe there is an answer and there will be. Just never give up. I can't say it enough.

a few references:

Curezone-lots if info about cleansing and health
Gluten free forums, great people who KNOW what is safe and what isn't
A good instructional emotional freedom technique video

A new one I will add:
Raw food support!

^In my opinion going straight to the raw food diet is the easiest way to get to where I am now, I SO WISH I had discovered this earlier. It's pretty much the healthiest diet and it naturally eliminates all the bad acne causing foods, so you don't have to worry so much about avoiding, you just go eat some fresh salad and be happy. The raw food lifestyle has changed my life for the better and I feel better than I ever thought I could. At the time I posted this original thread I felt better than any time in my life before, but I had NO idea how great I would feel in the future once I began eating mostly raw living foods!

SO much love to all you guys! *hugs* Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!
eusa_dance.gif

Notes- Well that's my update. It's been a few years since the original thread and I'm happy that my skin (and life) has only improved since then. I've learned so much about food and health because of my long fight against acne and I'm really thankful. I'd never be who I am today, or where I am today if I hadn't fought such a long hard war. I hope this update helps some of you guys. Peace and happy skin!

-deja, april 2011. smile.gif

Oh and PS, I know I don't have pics up here anymore, some of you might remember that I did once, but I am not really comfortable having pics of myself up on internet forums anymore. I have shown a couple of you my before/after pics through PM and I will again if any of you are curious... but hopefully you just take my word for it than I am actually clear. smile.gif

Edited by DejaClaireVoyant, 26 April 2011 - 11:30 AM.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#2 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Congrats! That makes me happy for you! And thank you for coming back and sharing!

#3 iloveuk

iloveuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Congratulations!

I am on a similar path...

What kind of Iodine do you use? I have Lugol's and have used that...

#4 kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Congrats! And the iodine thing is interesting...

#5 GoBills

GoBills

I really do love the Buffalo Bills!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

Yes a big congrats to you! And I can honestly say I have never heard of Iodine therapy. I'll have to check out that link you posted.

Thanks for sharing smile.gif
Morning - As of 5/15/08
Primal Defense probiotics - 2 pills upon waking
Wash face w/ Carly's Clear and Smooth
Breakfast

Organic EVOO - 2 tbs
Green smoothie w/ added protein, fruit, wheat grass, 2 tbs ACV, MSM, turmeric
Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Vitamin B Complex
Dry Vitamin E - 400 iu
Calcium - 600 mg
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil - 1 tsp
Dinner
Organic EVOO - 1 tbs
Chromium Picolinate - 200 mcg
Borage Oil - 1000 mg with high amount of GLA
Twin Lab Arctic Cod Liver Oil - 1 tsp
Night
ZMA - 3 tabs
Wash face w/ water. Tone: ACV/water. Moistourize: aloe vera w/ niacinamide

AVOID: Hydrogenated vegetable oils, red meat, dairy, sugar, bad carbs.

Sleep well & exercise! 90-95% clear. Die Acne. Just Die.

#6 m_tyrant

m_tyrant

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

Wow those are some very dramatic improvements I must say, and really encouraging for me. I stumbled on some new info I'd never investigated the other day and have been learning about diet and acne since. I've been on the paleo diet for about a week and am already noticing improvements and have no desire to do any cheating! I'll have to check out the iodine supplement as, like most people, have always heard it breaks you out. Could be quite useful for me. Thanks for the heads up and a sound reassurance I'm finally on the right track. Enjoy life without acne!

#7 sonal

sonal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

Wow, thats pretty impressive, congrats!
How did you know you were gluten sensitive? Like did you usually break out right after eating wheat products?
Cleansing:
Wash St.Ives Apricot Scrub morning and night.
Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin Cleanser mid-day.
Salicylic Acid for Spot Treatment at night.
Multani Mitti Clay Mask

Make-Up
Clean and Clear Oil Free Moisturizer for Acne Prone Skin
Clinique Oil Free SuperFit Makeup

Diet:
No meat, cutting down diary, trying to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.

Exercise:
Now that its summer, taking long walks almost everyday with soothing music. I think the fresh air is good for the skin.

Supplements:
Centrum Forte MultiVitamin Daily

#8 JacJack

JacJack

price check!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

u r so prettyyyy!!
having acne isnt that worst, even worse is it leaves scars!!!! * sighs *

how did you figure out u r gluten intolerance btw?
is there a special test that can test what food that u r intolerance with?

#9 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

Can't believe it sick.gif you had lots and big ones.. your face was all red

now is VERY nice , very nice skin , u look like a model! smile.gif
Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#10 LongfellowDeeds

LongfellowDeeds

L337 Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

wait, you're a stripper?

"I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion."

#11 SoCold

SoCold

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (LongfellowDeeds @ Jun 27 2008, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wait, you're a stripper?

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

#12 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

Haha no, just dressed in stripper gear. I might go be one soon though because I need money ughghghh.

I don't get how you guys can see my pics. I can't see them on my computer.

Okay as for gluten, It took a long process of finding out. Basically, a friend who's entire family is gluten sensitive suggested it to me. She had watched me struggle for a long time and thought that my skin condition looked like DH. Her husband is celiac and also gets it on the skin.
After she suggested it to me I would try to give it up for three days or something, thinking I would magically know.

I thought I was giving it up too, but I was still ingesting TONS of it, in things like dips, ranch dressing, other sauces, even VITAMINS. So I would go back and forth thinking giving it up wasn't doing anything while I was still being glutened the whole time. But I did notice, and some point that after giving it up for a week or so and then eating a big pasta dinner, I'd have stomach pain. I sort of always had this pain before so it was the norm for me. Gas and bloating feelings and what not. I began noticing that the longer I went without gluten, the pain would lessen.

So I kept working on testing it, all the while I would read up online and discover that things I thought were safe were not. One example is my fiber supplement. I had been taking metamucil, which claims to be 100% psyllium husks. It is NOT gluten free. I had been taking it every day.

After locating these hidden sources of gluten and eliminating them, I noticed a drastic change in a short time. First of all I got HUNGRY, a lOT. This is because my intestines were beginning to heal and develop the ability to properly absorb nutrients again, so my body was like "feed me!" and I did. I ate a lot and it was weird but I could actually feel my body making use of the foods. My vitamins seemed to actually have an effect after that. Nothing was being absorbed before!

A couple times since going 100% free I was glutened by accident, and the effect was drastic. Your body tends to be come hypersensitive to gluten even MORE once you go free, because it wants to heal and gluten is the enemy.

One day not that long ago, after already being pretty close to clear, I ate a protein bar that said "wheat free!" and learned the hard way that WHEAT FREE is NOT gluten free. The bar had oats *oats are also unnacceptable, they DO contain gluten unless they are made in a special factory*. Within an hour or two, my stomach felt sick, and within about three hours I was developing large cysts of DH on my skin. It took about three weeks to heal from that ONE time. sad.gif

I'm extremely careful, and leaning towards a high raw, vegetarian diet now. It's going to be hard when I go traveling so I'll probably live off whatever fruits and nuts I can find in local grocery stores and what not. I may have to even eat meat once in awhile *gasp I know* but when it comes to traveling, sometimes you have to accept whatever hospitality you can and "do as the romans do" so to speak (*I'll be backpacking south america and possibly south east asia*). Hopefully it wont come down to eating meat but if I had to, I'd choose being an omni for a bit over eating gluten. No way. I never want that shit going in my body again.

This diet takes major committment and a lot of time spent educating yourself, but my god its worth it. It's so much more than my skin condition thats improved. I no longer ever get gas, my bowel function is just what it should be (visiting the bathroom about the same number of times as the meals I eat in a day), and the BIGGEST improvement of all, depression and mood issues are GONE! I used to have horrible depression/anxiety and stuff that I took SAM-e and sometimes St Johns Wort for. Absolutely vanished when I went free. And if I eat gluten I know because that dark cloud appears over me. In fact, before the cysts pop up, a lot of times that's what will let me know I injested some hidden gluten somewhere. I'll be having all these negative thoughts and be in a bitch mood and be like "Wait..this isn't like me.. AH HA!" Within a few days of being free again, the mood vanishes.

The two biggest things to remember are "wheat free is NOT gluten free" and if you don't KNOW something is gluten free, it ISN'T!!! I had no idea that they put gluten in salad dressing, juice (got glutened from Tropicana the other day), vitamins, almost ANY gravy or enchilada sauce, etc. It's VERY near impossible to eat in any restaurants. Like I said, it takes major, major committment.

Hope this helps!

Morning:

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Evening:

#13 tofupalace

tofupalace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

congrats on your success! quick question--did you have oily skin before and if so, did anything of the things you tried help?

#14 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

BP helps, and I sometimes have oily skin and sometimes I don't. I like it though, it makes my skin glow, and I actually moisterize with grapeseed oil, adding even more oil to the mix. I just oil my face up nicely and then blot off the excess and it glows all day!

Morning:

Evening:

#15 baby pink

baby pink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

hey! so I really want to add liver/colon cleanses to my routine..what would you suggest for this? thanksss and congrats on the improvement! I eat gluten free as well, it's a great diet.
"copper boom!"
--Gilmore Girls

#16 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

Never know , maybe finally u not breaking out

my dad stopped getting acne at age 24-26 no matter what he eats he never gets it anymore

So yeah.... i am hoping it happens to me , cause i really need weight I wanna start eating Foods with high calories. >_>
Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#17 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

We're going to need more after pics.. to ahem.. determine the level of clarity of course 0=) hehe just kidding, really impressive work though seriously, what a drastic difference.

#18 under

under

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:50 AM

I was just reading about gluten and wikipedia says Rice is a form of gluten...do you still eat rice? eusa_think.gif

#19 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Rice isn't gluten. Wikipedia is wrong. Unless the rice has some sort of "natural flavoring" MSG or preservative in it. I don't know about Rice a Roni and those bullshit processed food crap meals. I eat real, plain rice all the time.

Barley, Oats, Wheat and a couple other grains all have the gluten. I only eat rice and quinoa.

Oh and to answer an earlier question, sorry, yes I use LUGOLS iodine 5%.

Anyone who wants to know about cleansing, go to the curezone link and start reading up. I can't tell you exactly where to start and whats right for you, I suggest you go read about liver flushing and parasite cleansing (not really for acne but it's something everyone should do anyway).

I've done 8 liver flushes and they really cleaned me out.

Morning:

Evening:

#20 MrFabolous

MrFabolous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Rice can contain gluten if they are "enriched". Some sort of "thing" the rice is covered in. There is some white rice that contain gluten.

Im pretty sure organic brown rice doesnt though, or atleast I hope so. ^^
Get to the root of the problem.