Photo
- - - - -

How can you tell the difference between Pityrosporum Folliculitis and acne?

1 reply to this topic

#1 rah502

rah502

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

Apparently body acne is often mistaken for Pityrosporum Folliculitis, so how do I know which one I have?
And which treatment will work for each?
I've used head and shoulders for a couple of days and so far no immediate results, I think I read someone saying that it only worked for Folliculitis, I dunno whether to continue using it...

If someone could help me out that would be great

#2 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:47 AM

Hi again

I have the same issue as you because the two looks a lot alike. The absolutely best thing is to go to a dermatologist to check. If that isn't an option you can check out pictures of Pityrosporum Folliculitis and see if what you got looks the same. If you have tried acne medication without effect it is more probable that you got Pityrosporum Folliculitis.

Head & Shoulders has Zinc Pyritione in it which is an antifungal and antibacterial. It might therefore help for both acne and Pityrosporum Folliculitis, but I think the results will be a lot better if it is Pityrosporum Folliculitis you got.

If you are unsure about what you got and don't want to go to a dermatologist I would use something like Head & Shoulders or Sulfur/Salicylic Acid(sal3.com) in the shower and then apply Vivant Mandelic Acid Serum. These things will work against both acne and Pityrosporum Folliculitis.

Don't expect any immidiate results with Head & Shoulders. I've used it for nearly two months. I have seen results, but it's a slowl progress. I also believe that the Mandelic Acid deserves most of the credit for those results.

If you are sure that you either got Acne or Pityrosporum Folliculitis here is a couple of treatments you could try...

Acne
Sulfur
Salicylic acid
Benzoyl Peroxide
Head & Shoulders
Glycolic/Lactic Acid
Accutane
Antibiotics(will probably work but only permanently, and a lot of people hate it)

Pityrosporum Folliculitis
Sulfur/Salicylic Acid
Ketoconazole(f.ex Nizoral shampoo, cream or tablets)
50% propylene Glycol in water
Mandelic Acid
Zinc Pyrithione(Head & Shoulders, ZNP bar)
Selenium Sulfide
Tea Tree Oil/Manuka Oil
Accutane(should work because the yeast thrive on sebum/oil)

Good luck

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users