Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homemade Salicylic Acid Toners

4 posts in this topic

I was thinking about trying to make my own salicylic acid toner. I figure this will allow me to make my own gentle toner with a minimal amount of ingredients and no irritating ingredients, and save money since I wouldn't have to order expensive non-irritating SA toners and lotions off the internet. Does anybody have any experience with this or have any recipes?

I'm also trying to find a good source for pure salicylic acid (powder?). Is my best bet just to use finely ground aspirin tablets, or is it available at the pharmacy? I would assume that pure SA is available OTC, but I'm not sure. Does anybody have any information regarding this? Thanks.

Update: I found a recipe on the internet for an aspirin toner, looks promising. Basically, you crush up 20 (uncoated) aspirin tablets and throw them into one of those 3 oz travel size shampoo bottles. Then squirt in a little aloe vera gel; apparently this is optional, I'm not sure exactly what the point of it would be. Then you fill up the bottle about 3/4 of the way with spring water. Shake and let the aspirin dissolve for a bit, and then strain the mixture. The resulting liquid is your aspirin toner!

I haven't tried this yet, but I think I may give it a shot tonight, maybe add a few drops of TTO or something to it as well. If anybody has any other suggestions of recipes, please feel free to post them.

1 person likes this

I was thinking about doing this at one point and I looked into buying SA powder online. If you do this, make sure you get pharmaceutical-grade SA, not reagent-grade SA. I remember seeing people selling SA on ebay, and it was reagent-grade. You don't want that on your face--it's not as pure and the manufacturing process can leave harmful chemical residues.

I never checked with pharmacies to see if they'd sell me SA powder, but the chemical companies that sell pharmaceutical-grade SA will only sell it to you if you have a certain license (I don't remember the details, but I think it involved safety knowledge/training of the sort that people who run labs would have.)