Homemade Salicylic Acid Toners

3 replies to this topic

#1 Molson_Man

Molson_Man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

I was thinking about trying to make my own salicylic acid toner. I figure this will allow me to make my own gentle toner with a minimal amount of ingredients and no irritating ingredients, and save money since I wouldn't have to order expensive non-irritating SA toners and lotions off the internet. Does anybody have any experience with this or have any recipes?

I'm also trying to find a good source for pure salicylic acid (powder?). Is my best bet just to use finely ground aspirin tablets, or is it available at the pharmacy? I would assume that pure SA is available OTC, but I'm not sure. Does anybody have any information regarding this? Thanks.

#2 Molson_Man

Molson_Man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

Update: I found a recipe on the internet for an aspirin toner, looks promising. Basically, you crush up 20 (uncoated) aspirin tablets and throw them into one of those 3 oz travel size shampoo bottles. Then squirt in a little aloe vera gel; apparently this is optional, I'm not sure exactly what the point of it would be. Then you fill up the bottle about 3/4 of the way with spring water. Shake and let the aspirin dissolve for a bit, and then strain the mixture. The resulting liquid is your aspirin toner!

I haven't tried this yet, but I think I may give it a shot tonight, maybe add a few drops of TTO or something to it as well. If anybody has any other suggestions of recipes, please feel free to post them.

#3 AltaPGT

AltaPGT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

Very interested in this, update with how it works when u can!

#4 zygomorph

zygomorph

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:36 AM

I was thinking about doing this at one point and I looked into buying SA powder online. If you do this, make sure you get pharmaceutical-grade SA, not reagent-grade SA. I remember seeing people selling SA on ebay, and it was reagent-grade. You don't want that on your face--it's not as pure and the manufacturing process can leave harmful chemical residues.

I never checked with pharmacies to see if they'd sell me SA powder, but the chemical companies that sell pharmaceutical-grade SA will only sell it to you if you have a certain license (I don't remember the details, but I think it involved safety knowledge/training of the sort that people who run labs would have.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users