Photo

Bifidobacterium Lactis for coeliacs....

gluten probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

Well, I'm about 99% gluten free and have been for 6 months or so. I am not about to change that, but for those that don't have the will to eat gluten-free and suspect a problem from it this could very well help.

I came upon this recent study that shows that the probiotic bifidobacterium lactis protects the intestines from gliadin induced intestinal hyperpermeability, with higher concentrations completely abolishing the negative effect. Several other harmful effects exerted by coeliac-toxic gliadin were countered with use of this probiotic.

This study was done on people with true coeliac disease, while most people more likely have a sensitivity etc, so it will likely be more effective for the masses. I already take Primal Defense which contains bifidobacterium lactis but I will continue going gluten-free until I know I have everything else under control and can test this treatment fully. Anyone who decides to try this and believes they are affected by gluten be sure to keep us updated.

Here are some probiotics that contain B. Lactis for those google impaired:
-Primal Defense, ?
-Theralac, 5 billion
-Probiotic Synergy, 3.34 billion
-Dr. Fuhrman’s Favorite Flora, 7.5 billion
-Ultra Bifidus DF (only B. Lactis from UK), 15 billion

#2 Tasha90

Tasha90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Renew Life Ultimate Flora is another good probiotic that contains 50 billion bacteria (30 billion bifidobacteria and 20 billion lactobacilli). I have been strictly gluten free for a while now, and once I finish my current probiotics, I'll try this one.

It definitely contains a lot of bacteria.

#3 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Tasha90 @ Jun 5 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Renew Life Ultimate Flora is another good probiotic that contains 50 billion bacteria (30 billion bifidobacteria and 20 billion lactobacilli). I have been strictly gluten free for a while now, and once I finish my current probiotics, I'll try this one.

It definitely contains a lot of bacteria.

Looks like a good one, problem is it doesn't contain any of the specific strain proven to protect from gliadin/gluten induced leaky gut.

#4 Zanpakutou

Zanpakutou

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

Nice find. Will definitely try this.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

I've also heard claims that celiacs can tolerate real sourdough breads.

If you are at all interested in baking your own bread, there are other ways besides sour dough that allow plenty of time for even more fermentation. And more of the flour is affected. With sourdough, only a small amount is mixed into the starter. And you could add whey to help it along.

There's the sponge method in which half the flour is stirred in the night before. The stirring counts as the kneading. And then it sits overnight which is the first rising. In the morning you knead in the rest of the flour, shape into loaves. Then you either let rise and bake or put in the fridge to slow rising, then take out in the evening let rise, then bake.

And there's this method, which I imagine, since it has so little flour, makes a mushy bread like Rainbow or other typical supermarket sandwich bread:

No knead bread

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

One thing you need to know is that whole grain flours are very heavy and need more to make them rise than white flour. that's why we've been eating white bread all these centuries. It makes nicer bread. I used to make bread a long time ago. I didn't have such good results when I tried whole wheat sourdough.

#6 DeAntonio

DeAntonio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Mine doesnt have it

Which one do you recommend out of those you listed ?

#7 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (DeAntonio @ Jun 5 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine doesnt have it

Which one do you recommend out of those you listed ?

I would guess the Ultra Bifidus DF because it is only b lactis so it would make for the most reliable test and it has the most per serving. Where I found it was a UK site but they have a US currency conversion and it was like 21 bucks- idk bout shipping though...

#8 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Jun 5 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've also heard claims that celiacs can tolerate real sourdough breads as well.

True. Certain genuine sourdough breads brown with certain lactobacillus are tolerated by coeliacs. However I can't find which specific strains....Sourdough Bread Tolerated by Celiacs

#9 clipse

clipse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

what about strains of acidophilus?

isn't that a big factor missing?

#10 kurt123

kurt123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

Is it ok to eat Gluten-Free bread? I bought this Ezekial Bread with sprouted grains and stuff.

#11 pmezak

pmezak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

This is very interesting! Also, on Dr. Fuhrman's site, it mentions that bifido lactis was formerly known as bifido infantis.....so it may be in other formulas under that name. I always had good results from bifido bacteria for getting regular, not sure about the acne, although I am pretty sure
I am gluten sensitive, have all the symptoms.... rolleyes.gif

#12 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Mars2008 @ Aug 9 2008, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what about strains of acidophilus?

isn't that a big factor missing?

Those would probably help, but this strain specifically was shown to protect against the effects of gluten intolerance/sensitivity

QUOTE (kurt123 @ Aug 9 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it ok to eat Gluten-Free bread? I bought this Ezekial Bread with sprouted grains and stuff.

If you are sensitive to grains or carbs or have candida it will not help, but if its only gluten thats your prob then yes

QUOTE (pmezak @ Aug 9 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is very interesting! Also, on Dr. Fuhrman's site, it mentions that bifido lactis was formerly known as bifido infantis.....so it may be in other formulas under that name. I always had good results from bifido bacteria for getting regular, not sure about the acne, although I am pretty sure
I am gluten sensitive, have all the symptoms.... rolleyes.gif

Then I would take it indefinitely to avoid damage from hidden sources and maybe even indulge in some gluten goodies once in a while eusa_dance.gif .

#13 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

Do you order your probiotics online? Do they have to be refrigerated?