Photo

L-Lysine !! Working great

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 bobpop

bobpop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hey ive been useing L-Lysine for some time now and my skin is going so well, i hardly have any acne any more and together with BP its really working great. Im using the 1000mg once or twice a day in between meals, i guess you guys should try it i saw results within 1 week:) i couldnt find anything online about it but my mom happend to find out about it from a friend, so i tried, and great results so far:)

Good luck all

#2 bobpop

bobpop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

JUST TRY THIS LOL its working so good nobody responding... friends of mine are using it too now dammnn guys just try it lol

#3 sunny123

sunny123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

My guess is there is not a lot of response because we are not familiar with it. Is it prescription? It sounds like an antibiotic?
AM
Neutrogena Gentle Cleanser
Acanya Gel
Finacea on spots only
Bare Minerals Makeup

PM
Neutrogena Gentle Cleanser
Differin .3%

#4 whoalisa

whoalisa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (sunny123 @ Jun 5 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess is there is not a lot of response because we are not familiar with it. Is it prescription? It sounds like an antibiotic?

L-Lysine is an essential amino-acid (which means it cannot be synthesized by the body) essential for collagen formation and tissue repair and may help maintain healthy blood vessels. It aids the body in creation of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies. It's also used to treat cold sores, shingles, herpes and other viral infections.

Now as to why it has worked to clear up some people's acne, your speculation is as good as mine unsure.gif

-Lisa

#5 Kohkane

Kohkane

Is good for you.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (whoalisa @ Jun 6 2008, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

L-Lysine is an essential amino-acid (which means it cannot be synthesized by the body) essential for collagen formation and tissue repair and may help maintain healthy blood vessels. It aids the body in creation of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies. It's also used to treat cold sores, shingles, herpes and other viral infections.

Now as to why it has worked to clear up some people's acne, your speculation is as good as mine unsure.gif

-Lisa

Where did you get it? Seems..interesting..I wont try it yet. But if its just a supplement pill or something I guess I could give it a try =p
Current Status of face: Words cant describe how happy I am :D

You can find my log of how my NEW regimen is working for me here :) http://www.acne.org/...og-t200272.html

#6 albertine

albertine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Kohkane @ Jun 7 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Lisa

Where did you get it? Seems..interesting..I wont try it yet. But if its just a supplement pill or something I guess I could give it a try =p

I take L-Lysine supplements (either Quantum brand or Dr. Diamond's "Herpanacine") for cold sores, which I only get once every year or two. Because my cold sore issue is so rare, I have never taken it long enough to notice any change in my overall skin health, though the Herpanacine stuff does claim to work for all skin conditions. It's basiclaly L-Lysine, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and Selenium as a dietary supplement. I will say that the L-Lysine does wonders in clearing up cold sores. I've used it both topically and orally for that.

I am working with a nutritionist now to determine some of my food allergies, which are absolutely part of what triggers my acne. Ice cream will break me out within 24 hours, wheat makes me sleepy and causes a rash... I do not eat potato, corn, tomato, sugar, honey, peanut, wheat, sesame seeds, or dairy. I eat a low glycemic diet, and populate my diet with an abundance of leafy greens, low-GI veggies, quinoa, brown rice, and the occasional fish. I eat apples about 5 times a week, but most other fruit is rarely consumed.

I have tested positive for a potato intolerance, as well as an intolerance to fruit in combination with sucrose. I believe that wheat/gluten causes some of my acne and eat none of it. I was also just diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and insulin resistance. Working on it!

#7 whoalisa

whoalisa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Kohkane @ Jun 7 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Lisa

You could pick it up at any vitamin shop like GNC or Whole Foods. It seems like it would be worth a shot to try, just make sure you follow the directions on the bottle and not take too much, seeing as how we probably consume a decent amount of Lysine in the foods that we eat (Foods rich in L-Lysine include dairy products, vegetables, legumes, fish, soy products, etc.)

it might also help to reduce your intake of foods rich in Arginine. Arginine is a non-essential amino acid (it IS synthesized within the body) that reduces the effectiveness of L-Lysine. (Also, if you get cold sores, the herpes virus requires this amino acid to replicate itself, so steer clear of this if you have any cold sores!) Foods rich in Arginine include chocolate, nuts, caffeine, oats, whole wheat breads, etc.)

Hope this info helped someone! If anyone tries this, share the results! I'm anxious to hear if this actually works!

-Lisa

#8 kelsie123

kelsie123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

I've used it internally to treat cold sores too and it's amazing. But, like albertine, I've only used it sporadically so haven't noticed resluts on acne..

#9 KayyCee

KayyCee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (whoalisa @ Jun 6 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Lisa

You can get it at Walmart without a perscription. It is just a dietary supplement. I just got it. The container says on it, "L-Lysine is an essential amino acid that is not made by the body and must be obtained from diet. Amino acids support cell growth and function and form the basis for protein. L-Lysine is especially important and is used for the health and integrity of the skin and lips."

So basically it just means that it will keep your skin growing and healthy. The dead skin cells are probably removed and replaced faster with new clean skin. So it would in turn help your skin and clear it up. Plus make your lips smooth and beautiful. I'm going to use it and I think it will work great. =)

#10 Prixton

Prixton

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:30 AM

I used L-Lysine supplements on an on-going basis for about 2 months a couple years ago, in an attempt to clear up my acne. It seemed to help at first, but over a matter of weeks my acne crept back and in the end it didn't seem to have done much at all.

#11 Xxavier

Xxavier

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

Lysine does help for acne. Its a supplement you can buy at any pharmacy in the vitamin section and its really cheap...I use it and it does work. Everyone here should try it out

#12 Creatine

Creatine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (bobpop @ Jun 2 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey ive been useing L-Lysine for some time now and my skin is going so well, i hardly have any acne any more and together with BP its really working great. Im using the 1000mg once or twice a day in between meals, i guess you guys should try it i saw results within 1 week:) i couldnt find anything online about it but my mom happend to find out about it from a friend, so i tried, and great results so far:)

Good luck all

I've been taking L-lysine tablets everyday for the last year if not longer. I can honestly say this has no effect on acne what so ever. I think it's just the fact that your BP is working on you.

#13 cheryllynn

cheryllynn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

This is NOT an antibiotic...you can purchase it at most Drugstores and even walmart...most any place that sells vitamins...hundred tablets are about $2.50....very reasonable priced especially if it works for you. I know many who are using it..and it has cleared them right up...I bought it as well for my son. Try it you may be suprised

#14 pinkchrysanthemum

pinkchrysanthemum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

I use L-lysine and I find it works well for me. It was only by mistake when taking it for cold sores that I would in that week notice an improvement in my skin also... I've never heard of it being helpful for acne or had it recommended to me for acne. I've use zinc before and not had a good results as I am with L-lysine. I would recommend giving it a go.. I guess at the end of the day though different diets, minerals, vitamins etc are all going to have a different effect on everyone.

#15 Vicious Lyss

Vicious Lyss

i'm lame

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

I thought this thread was about me at first... neutral.gif
Glad it's working, though. smile.gif

#16 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Moving this to the diet/holistic section...

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#17 AmeliaE

AmeliaE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

I too have been taking L-Lysine recently for acne and it is working great! I am 24 now and have had acne in some form since I was 9. As I have gotten older my acne goes through phases of being really cystic...like an infection that erupts. I have done 2 rounds of Accutane, microdermabrasions, facials, creams, antibiotics, etc... and if anything ever works it is too harsh and drying to keep up consistently. When I see the dermatologist they always push an antibiotic and I refuse because I want to save that use for when I'm actually sick.

A couple weeks ago my mom met these two sisters who were in their 60s and have been taking L-Lysine for years and swear by it. I have had shingles twice before in high school plus cold sores throughout the years so I wondered if my type of acne+ the herpes related issues coming up due to stress could be treated with the same supplement...so I went down to CVS and for $8 I got a bottle of the 1000 mg pills and have been taking one a day. I noticed my acne drying up after 2 days! Time will tell if this continues to work but it is such a relief to have another option. I looked online and not many people have tried this supplement for acne so I am really interested in other people's experience with this supplement. I'll update again soon!

#18 GottaBeACure

GottaBeACure

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

Be careful with this stuff!

I've read that it works really well for some people, but I can tell you that its not for everyone.

About a year ago, after 6 months of flawless skin, I started taking L-Lysine for canker sores. It worked amazingly in that regard. But I started breaking out like never before while I was taking it. I stuck with it for a few months because it completely took away canker sores, but I just couldn't deal with the acne breakouts. After some very intensive research, I learned that L-Lysine depletes the b-6 in your body, which for some people (me apparently) can cause acne. I stopped taking L-Lysine, but I was still breaking out. I took b-6 vitamins and that really helped.

So if you are taking this, and its working, then you have nothing to worry about. For those that want to try it, just try it. You will know right away if its helpful or hurtful. If you break out from it, now you know why!

#19 Stacie V

Stacie V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

Lysine works for me. I have cystic acne, I don't have a ton of zits but a few really big painful ones and I have a regimen that keeps it somewhat under control but when I started taking 50mg of Zinc once a day and 500mg of L-Lysine twice a day, I haven't have a pimple since. I've been taking it like this for maybe 6 months or so and I couldn't be more pleased with it. biggrin.gif