Photo

Sweating = Forehead breakout or rash?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 texfire

texfire

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

Hi guys,
I'm 37 and too old to be dealing with this crap! smile.gif

Anyways, here over the last year or so, whenever I sweat (about the amount where it would get in your eyes or drip...so a longer workout or being outside and active for an hour or so) I break out in a horrible forehead rash or acne. The forehead will be clear before I start. Within 6 hours it will look like this.

I can't figure out a link, but if you go here, you'll see what I'm talking about... http://www.flickr.co...s/27134659@N03/

Anyways, do you think it's acne? Could it be miliara? Any suggestions on treatment? Clearly, it is embarrassing.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Chris

#2 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

=+=

Edited by Heir, 17 October 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#3 A. Bean

A. Bean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm 33 and my forehead looks just like your picture after being out in the hot sun or working out. It typically fades after 2-3 days and there's no sign that anything happened after that (until the next time I sweat again). This has been going on for about a year or so now. I've tried OTC acne creams like Clearisil, but nothing seems to take. My family physician is stumped. A dermatologist provided me with something stronger, but it only succeeded in burning my forehead. From surfing around, I thought that it might be a form of rosacea, but my physician disagrees. Have you had luck in finding out what is causing it or how to keep it from occurring?

#4 Wistar

Wistar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

Do you have any other symptoms? Like mild itching, redness, scaly skin, dry skin, flaky skin. Any eye involvement like red eyes or dry eyelids. Any ear involvement like dry skin in the ears. Any bumps on the scalp under the hair or crusty dandruff-like skin bits on the back of the head on the scalp?

#5 hdboy

hdboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Maybe you break out from sun exposure? You should try a moisturizer with spf in it

#6 A. Bean

A. Bean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

I tried an experiment this weekend. I was sweating moderately-to-heavily for about 3-4 hours indoors with little to no sun exposure. I typically don't wear a hat or anything on my head. I'm male and the skin type on my forehead is typically dry. I washed my hair and face afterwards with a mild cleanser. The skin was still dry and no flare-up activity on my forehead, but I had a mild itching sensation on parts of my forehead. I went to bed about 8 hours later and I still looked fine. I woke up about 7 hours after that and my forehead had broken out again (all papules, no pustules). The breakout was moderate (looks very similar to the picture posted by Chris), but definitely not as severe as other outbreaks (some of the more severe episodes are when I'm in direct sunlight and sweating, which typically results in both red papules and pustules). Also, when I woke, I was lightly sweating and my forehead felt slightly oily. I only ever break out like this on my forehead, no activity anywhere else on my face. Also, its my entire forehead, not just the lower central portion that I've seen in some of the Rosacea pictures on the web (not sure if that's a factor).

Wistar, along the lines of what you're asking, I do tend to flush (predominately around my forehead). I don't have any eye involvement, but my ears tend to get one or two little crusty bumps on them occassionally (mostly around sun exposure). I also have one very small crusty bump that's present on my scalp, very near the top of my head. Whenever I scratch it off, after a few days it grows back in exactly the same spot.

I've scheduled an appointment in a week with a different dermatologist to see if he can provide a better diagnosis. Wistar, do you have any pictures that you could share? I'm perplexed as to what this could be and would appreciate anything you could tell or show me to help me figure this thing out. Also, how long have you had your condition? What do you do to cope with it?

#7 Wistar

Wistar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (A. Bean @ Jun 15 2008, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried an experiment this weekend. I was sweating moderately-to-heavily for about 3-4 hours indoors with little to no sun exposure. I typically don't wear a hat or anything on my head. I'm male and the skin type on my forehead is typically dry. I washed my hair and face afterwards with a mild cleanser. The skin was still dry and no flare-up activity on my forehead, but I had a mild itching sensation on parts of my forehead. I went to bed about 8 hours later and I still looked fine. I woke up about 7 hours after that and my forehead had broken out again (all papules, no pustules). The breakout was moderate (looks very similar to the picture posted by Chris), but definitely not as severe as other outbreaks (some of the more severe episodes are when I'm in direct sunlight and sweating, which typically results in both red papules and pustules). Also, when I woke, I was lightly sweating and my forehead felt slightly oily. I only ever break out like this on my forehead, no activity anywhere else on my face. Also, its my entire forehead, not just the lower central portion that I've seen in some of the Rosacea pictures on the web (not sure if that's a factor).

Wistar, along the lines of what you're asking, I do tend to flush (predominately around my forehead). I don't have any eye involvement, but my ears tend to get one or two little crusty bumps on them occassionally (mostly around sun exposure). I also have one very small crusty bump that's present on my scalp, very near the top of my head. Whenever I scratch it off, after a few days it grows back in exactly the same spot.

I've scheduled an appointment in a week with a different dermatologist to see if he can provide a better diagnosis. Wistar, do you have any pictures that you could share? I'm perplexed as to what this could be and would appreciate anything you could tell or show me to help me figure this thing out. Also, how long have you had your condition? What do you do to cope with it?

I don't think this is acne or rosacea. The only itchy acne-like papules on the forehead I know of could be scalp folliculitis or demodicidosis.

For me the itching is very significant and starts as a mild itch a few hours before the papules arrive and then intensifies when the papule is active, like having an itchy mosquito bite. I can get them anywhere on the forehead, upper cheek area and temples. Nothing around the mouth or jaw.

I find hot water makes the papules enlarge and redder. About 30 minutes after washing they will fade away or almost away.

I also get other symptoms such as mild blepharitis (my eye lash skin can look red at times) and sometimes I wake up with mild red eyes. I also have chronic dry skin in my outer ears, that clear up quickly with a little cortisone cream, but go dry again a week later. I also had slightly dry scaly skin in the areas where I repeatedly had the papules.

If it is itchy dry skin with acne and treatments for bacteria fail, try for yeast or mites. I am currently being treated for the mites. I am about 6 weeks in. So far it is going good and I am clear of all symptoms but it is too early yet to declare success. I wrote about the treatment on the rosacea group forum here.

#8 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (hdboy @ Jun 8 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe you break out from sun exposure? You should try a moisturizer with spf in it

I thought sweating is good.^^ but careful not to get ur skin burned from sun , will get worse.

u need Moisture and then u can sweat w.e u want

I use the one from practiv .. i use their other product also , all in 1 box. smile.gif

it helps

#9 pinkshoeaddict

pinkshoeaddict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:39 AM

It looks like milaria to me. I don't think it's so common on the forehead, but I recently got it on my forearms and it looked a lot like your picture and itched like hell. If you do put anything on your face, make sure it is oil-free as oils make the rash last longer. I think some people are prone to chronic heat/sweat rash. If you do use a moisturizer with SPF, make sure it's a light moisturizer.

#10 A. Bean

A. Bean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

Went to the new dermatologist. Diagnosis: Rosacea. Started a prescription three month course of Oracea and 0.75% topical Metronidazole cream twice daily. Will keep posted as to progress. Already had two flare-ups and it seems like the Metro cream improved recovery time. Supposedly, the oral antibiotic takes about a month to kick in, so I'll post back then.

#11 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

I get acne too top of my forehead... got 2 big ones so far.. getting another one.. but my hair blocks it biggrin.gif

could be cause of the hair...>_>

#12 JDoubleU

JDoubleU

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

I am curious as to if you found out what this was. I am also 37 year old male and too old for acne as well but as of the past 2 years I have been getting the exact same breakouts. I thought maybe it was an allergic reaction to something so I stopped wearing hats, shaved my head aswell, stopped using haircare products and the rash keeps coming back every so often. I can admit that I did go to the gym and worked out the other day, got a nice sweat going but really, I have been sweating all my life, what could have possibly changed that would cause this breakout?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00039.jpg

#13 JScott

JScott

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

Chris,

Did you have any luck figuring this out? I have the same exact thing on my forehead today. I worked outside yesterday and woke with the red rash just like your photo. It has happened a few times and I am getting fustrated myself.

Any updated information?

Jeff

Hi guys,
I'm 37 and too old to be dealing with this crap! :)

Anyways, here over the last year or so, whenever I sweat (about the amount where it would get in your eyes or drip...so a longer workout or being outside and active for an hour or so) I break out in a horrible forehead rash or acne. The forehead will be clear before I start. Within 6 hours it will look like this.

I can't figure out a link, but if you go here, you'll see what I'm talking about...

Anyways, do you think it's acne? Could it be miliara? Any suggestions on treatment? Clearly, it is embarrassing.

Chris
[/quote]

#14 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Believe it or not, it could be related to whatever soap or cleanser you're using. That could be the culprit! Plus, I'd stay away from any oral antibiotics, that could just complicate matters as well.

#15 dudarino

dudarino

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:15 AM

I'm 27 and work at a well-known italian restaurant. For a little under a year now, almost every time I have a busy shift and sweat on my forehead, I get these symptoms within 1 1/2 to 2 hours of being there, in this order:

Note: Some of these symptoms may not be significant at all, but I'm going to be excruciatingly detailed anyway.

1) A mild, patchy numbness + prickling sensation on my forehead.

2) A rapidly spreading rash that starts right at the hairline (doesn't go beyond the hair - I've looked), and goes down towards my eyebrows. It's much more intense on the top part, and gets "spottier" as it continues down.

--If I wash my forehead and apply any kind of pressure with my hands in the process, the spots go away for a brief period - like 30 seconds - and then come right back. Washing really doesn't seem to do anything immediate, but I do "feel" a little better when I do it. I use cold, cold water for this as it feels much more soothing than hot.

--At this point, even where there are not actual red spots, there tend to be very light (almost imperceptible) patches of red that trace my eyebrows. My eyebrows can also tend to itch a bit.

3) After the rash has gone into full swing, I usually notice the numbness, tingling itchiness, and even some nausea.

4) Perhaps the most important part - it all goes away, completely, within 30 minutes of leaving the restaurant. But it just gets worse and worse while I am there.

--------------------------

All that being said, here are things I have considered.

A) This could be an allergy to something airborne at the restaurant, which seems to be triggered by heat and/or sweat. It could be some kind of allergy to soaps...with that in mind I have switched to all organic, no SLES, no SLS, no PARABEN products. Obviously it hasn't worked. Hell, it could even be the physiological changes that come with being "stressed," which leads me to B...

B) This could be a physical symptom of anxiety. Although I'm not an "anxious" person. I walk around laughing, joking, etc. I've worked in restaurants, as a server/bartender for over a decade and have never, ever, had anything like this happen, so that doesn't seem to make sense.

C) Coffee. Yes, no joke, I think coffee might be the enemy here. Check this out...as a test (I've done many to pin this damned thing down), I stopped drinking coffee for five days. In addition to feeling less hot while working, which I can only guess is due to the metabolic boost from caffeine and the side effect of it shrinking cappilaries, which in turn boosts blood pressure, which equates to greater friction in the body, and friction = heat.......you still with me? Anyway, I felt better, and the effects were _not_ as pronounced. However, one of my only sources of refined sugar comes from the creamer or sugar I put into my coffee. So, maybe that has something to do with it. Or the combination of the two. I really don't know.

One thing to note, which I think may have some kind of significance here, is that I also seem to have Fordyce spots. They are "harmless little spots" on the lips, or so I have read. However I think there may be some kind of relationship between them and the forehead. I can delve into that more later.

It all boils down to this: This condition is particularly debilitating to a restaurant worker, who has to deal with the public. No one wants the Toxic Avenger serving their food and drinks. So, I need a fix. Like NOW!

Edited by dudarino, 09 January 2010 - 12:22 AM.

#16 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

wow dudarino, that is a bit strange. eusa_think.gif If it didn't go away so quickly and wasn't accompagnied by nausea, I would've said that it sounds a lot like fungal folliculitis. It's an acne-like (and sometimes rash-like) eruption that usually spreads from the hairline, is characterized by numerous tiny pimples and is often quite itchy. Hot, humid weather makes it worse. You might want to look into it just to be sure.

#17 ezdude

ezdude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

I have a similar problem...as I'm warming up in the gym I get a stinging sensation on the skin on my forehead. When I look in the mirror, the skin in this area is raised and off-color (i'm african-american). Asked the dermatologist about this and she says that it's probably Urticaria. I asked her to repeat the name slowly. She did and said that it can be treated with daily use of an anti-histimine; she suggested Claritin. Went home did research...She could of told me in layman terms that urticaria is hives. Upon further research found out that it's probably, if it's the right diagnosis, Cholinergic urticaria. Meaning the hives are brought on by a hypersensitive reaction to body heat.

Haven't tested the Claritin or store brand Claritin yet (Claritin ain't cheap) but the symptoms for me are spot-on.

#18 Rene Greenwald

Rene Greenwald

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

Try washing your face before doing any sort of activity that causes sweating. If you work out side and sweat all day, wash your face several times throughout the day if possible, or bring a cleansing cloth. This will keep all the dirt and debris from getting ingrained into your pores. You might want to check this out too: dermtv.com/preventing-acne-breakouts-adults

#19 heytherecmh

heytherecmh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

Did anyone ever figure out what this rash on the forehead is? Or how to treat it? I only get it on my forehead and only after sweating. I will be dancing my forehead will get sweaty. I go home wash my face right away and think everything is fine. Wake up in the morning and can see the red spots. As the day progresses they get white heads on them and start to itch lightly and feel irritated. It does go away but it takes a few days. I have tried many things from changing shampoo's, facial soaps, scrubs, my hair is very short and I do not use hair products. I have noticed it seems worse when I have been touching my face with my hands when I sweat. But still happens. Is this possibly a symptom of another undetermined health problem. HELP....

QUOTE (texfire @ May 29 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,
I'm 37 and too old to be dealing with this crap! smile.gif

I can't figure out a link, but if you go here, you'll see what I'm talking about...

Chris

#20 biff boffo

biff boffo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

I'm 38, male, and I've developed this same condition tonight. I have a forehead rash and dozens of tiny little whiteheads, isolated mostly at my temples. I do remember developing this same conidtion, just once, about four years ago, but I cannot remember the circumstances that may have lead up to that breakout. Hopefully, if I remember correctly, this issue cleared up after about 24 hours or so, without any treatment.

There are a couple recent factors within the last 48 hours that may have contributed to my current condition. One, I started a new job cooking in a professional kitchen yesterday. It was a slow night, and not too stressful, but maybe the newness of the job took more of a stressful toll than I realize. I did sweat some during dinner service, but not as much as when I would work out. Although I haven't cooked professionally in three years, this type of breakout was never an issue before (except for that one previous occurrence four years ago). The thing is, I had today off, and that's when the rash and whiteheads developed -- a good 24 hours since I ended my shift.

As for today, I was wearing a hat outside, so sun was not a factor, and I really didn't sweat at all. This is a hat that I've worn quite often without any previous problems, but who knows? In terms of diet, I did eat at a restaurant today where I had never been, but I ordered an item (falafel) that I have eaten dozens of times without incident. I can't think that there would be anything in the recipe that would cause an allergy, but again, who knows?

For treatment, I'm hesitant to use any moisturizer, or try anything new, because I don't want to compound the problem. I just washed my skin thoroughly with my regular body wash, and I'm going to wait it out tonight. Things seems to have been improving over the last hour or so, I think. Anyhow, sorry I don't have any answers or valuable insight, but thought I would share just the same. If I don't experience a noticeable improvement by tomorrow, I'll visit a dermatologist, but I've got my fingers crossed that the issue will go away like last time.