Photo

Could mineral salt (applied externally) be the answer to acne?

aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic is archived.
197 replies to this topic

#1 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

Well with trepidation I post my first topic and launch my own personal investigation into a possible solution to the age old problem of acne....

I use a natural crystal deodorant made with mineral salts (by a company called Crystal Spring) which works by leaving a thin layer of mineral salts behind when you apply it to wet skin under the armpits, which then kills bacteria. It works successfully as a deodorant because it is the bacteria which are the cause of the nasty pongs and body odour you get without deodorant, and without those bacteria around the problem is solved.

The Idea

Recently I got to thinking eusa_think.gif - if crystal deodorant, a totally natural product, works by killing bacteria on the armpits, why can't it kill the bacteria on your face too.....and therefore kill acne? And since it is so natural, I don't think it would be damaging to use on facial skin. It contains no nasty chemicals, only pure mineral salts which sit on the surface of the skin (they aren't absorbed) and kill the bacteria. It also doesn't block the pores.

Of course the other bonus is that it's a relatively cheap product (they are all around the same kind of price) which lasts for ages - one stick should last from 6 months to a year!

AHA I thought to myself - maybe I'm onto something here (while the nasty demon in my mind started laughing its pants off and telling me to stop being so silly - how could I come up with a solution to my acne after unsuccessfully trying for the last 19 years? eusa_doh.gif ).

Well, I thought booo to that demon eusa_hand.gif and my research continued apace wink.gif

And led me to a very interesting place .....

The Research

After much searching on the net, I came across the following STUDY regarding the use of salt in tests which resulted in the successful cure of several cases of moderate to severe acne, and all within an astonishing 2 - 5 weeks (some cases of severe acne were cleared completely in 2 weeks). It's quite a long document and looks a bit tedious I know, but it's well worth a thorough read (of course you could always skim read over the first bit, and get down to the section nearer the bottom where they talk about the tests on people with severe acne and the amazing results).

The Product

One of the products they used in these tests outlined in the above study was a 'mineral pure rock salt' that was 'being sold for use as an underarm deodorant'. I checked the postal address given for one of the underarm deodorant products used - by googling the F/T Limited address - and found a link to the following website which sells natural deodorants called Crystal Body Deodorant

As previously mentioned, I currently already have a crystal deodorant which is called Crystal Spring which I got from Holland & Barrett, so this is what I have been using in my tests so far (and by so far I mean for the last two days, since I discovered this information). I will continue to use this for now as I assume it is similar or the same as the Crystal Body Deodorant used in the tests - but I have to admit to being a stickler for accuracy, so I have ordered the Crystal Body one off of Ebay - so when that arrives I will be switching to that one.

EDIT: I am now solely using the Crystal Body Deodorant Stick which is the one used in the study (as mentioned above) - with great results. That's not to say that the Alum crystal deodorants won't also work well, but I wanted to use the same one which had the great results in the study, and which is 98% sodium chloride with traces of Alum only. Also, as I've mentioned in a later post, it's hard to know the precise ingredients in these products as many just state that they contain 'mineral salts', so at least with this one I can be sure of what I am using and what is giving me the results.

I also found a link to a product sold on the following Website which states that one of its uses is 'to prevent acne' and that you will see 'significant results after one week'. So maybe this idea isn't so daft after all - hurrah hurrah eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

The Method

The method I am using is as follows. At night after washing my face as normal, I leave my face wet after rinsing and rub the crystal deodorant all over my face (avoiding the eye and lip areas) for about 30 seconds so it is well coated with a layer of mineral salts. I then leave this to dry completely. The crystal has a nice smooth surface so it slides over the skin (when wet) very easily and also goes on completely clear. Another way to do it is to wet the actual crystal and use it that way, but I find it easier to just apply to my skin that is already wet after washing. I imagine it would be possible to apply a moisturiser after the salt layer has dried, but I don't want to risk trying this just yet as they didn't do this in the study. I'll see how I get on without the moisturiser, and only use moisturiser in the morning when not using the crystal.

In Conclusion..... to be continued!

If anyone else wants to try this I'd recommend testing the crystal on your inner arm or somewhere like that first, just to make double sure you aren't going to have some kind of reaction to it. But I think this is unlikely as it is a gentle and totally natural product.

Anyway, I don't know what anyone else will make of my research and thoughts on this, but I for one think it is worth a shot at least. Let me know what you think.

I will keep everyone who is interested posted on my success or otherwise with this method! Fingers and toes crossed eusa_angel.gif
Hold on to what is good, even if it is a handful of earth. Hold on to what you believe, even if it is a tree which stands alone. Hold on to what you must do, even if it is a long way from here.

#2 bɭesstheʄẚɭɭ

bɭesstheʄẚɭɭ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

Interesting. I friend of mine told me about these kinds of salt deodorants, but I never was motivated to buy it off the net, but I think I will now.

#3 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (blessthefall @ May 27 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting. I friend of mine told me about these kinds of salt deodorants, but I never was motivated to buy it off the net, but I think I will now.

Hi! I think they are pretty easy to get hold of these days (at least they are in the UK, I don't know about the states) - they are usually sold in natural health stores.

They do work well as deodorants. They don't stop you sweating (regular deodorants block your pores with aluminium, which isn't very healthy) but they kill the bacteria so it won't smell.

It's too early really to tell how it is affecting my spots - it certainly isn't irritating my face, and a couple of big angry cyst spots seem to be calming down and showing signs of dying which is promising.

Let me know how you get on eusa_angel.gif
Hold on to what is good, even if it is a handful of earth. Hold on to what you believe, even if it is a tree which stands alone. Hold on to what you must do, even if it is a long way from here.

#4 GoBills

GoBills

I really do love the Buffalo Bills!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

Very intriguing. I've heard of exfoliating with sea salt, but this is completely different.

Keep us posted! smile.gif
Morning - As of 5/15/08
Primal Defense probiotics - 2 pills upon waking
Wash face w/ Carly's Clear and Smooth
Breakfast

Organic EVOO - 2 tbs
Green smoothie w/ added protein, fruit, wheat grass, 2 tbs ACV, MSM, turmeric
Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Vitamin B Complex
Dry Vitamin E - 400 iu
Calcium - 600 mg
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil - 1 tsp
Dinner
Organic EVOO - 1 tbs
Chromium Picolinate - 200 mcg
Borage Oil - 1000 mg with high amount of GLA
Twin Lab Arctic Cod Liver Oil - 1 tsp
Night
ZMA - 3 tabs
Wash face w/ water. Tone: ACV/water. Moistourize: aloe vera w/ niacinamide

AVOID: Hydrogenated vegetable oils, red meat, dairy, sugar, bad carbs.

Sleep well & exercise! 90-95% clear. Die Acne. Just Die.

#5 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (GoBills @ May 27 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very intriguing. I've heard of exfoliating with sea salt, but this is completely different.

Keep us posted! smile.gif

Hey GoBills. Yeh I guess it is a bit out there!

It just kind of makes sense to me - the mineral salts act like a natural version of an antibacterial cream.

I'll definitely keep you posted - this is my third night of trying it out, so here goes wink.gif

#6 LivesInABox

LivesInABox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

Definitely worth a try - i've been using a natural deoderant called pit-rok (you can buy this at boots so is easily available and not too expensive as it lasts a while) which is one of those natural things (although i don't know if it's exactly the same as the one your using but sounds pretty similar).

The most important thing will be washing your face and leaving it slightly damp not totally wet, as that seems to be the most effective way of using the products (for what they are designed for). Sounds reasonably safe - much better than those people trying this with standard roll on deodorants! smile.gif.

Keep us upto date on how you get on!

Actually i wonder if this would be better a spray with the salts & aloe vera & calendula - just a thought (maybe it's an anti acne spray lol - although i'd be very careful and read the destructions and spray onto hands not face and probably email them to see if it's ok for face use just to be safe!)

Pit Rok Spray (non fragrance)
?tnarelotni esotcurF uoy erA

After all, man is not what he eats, but what he can digest and assimilate. And i can't assimilate much fructose at all!

#7 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (LivesInABox @ May 27 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely worth a try - i've been using a natural deoderant called pit-roc (you can buy this at boots so is easily available and not too expensive as it lasts a while) which is one of those natural things (although i don't know if it's exactly the same as the one your using but sounds pretty similar).

The most important thing will be washing your face and leaving it slightly damp not totally wet, as that seems to be the most effective way of using the products (for what they are designed for). Sounds reasonably safe - much better than those people trying this with standard roll on deodorants! smile.gif.

Keep us upto date on how you get on!

Hey Lives - yeh I think all these crystal deodorants are basically the same. I'm sure Pit Roc is the same thing.

I wash my face then kind of dab away the major drips of water and then apply the crystal for about 30 seconds and let it dry. It does feel a bit weird - well like leaving a salt rinse on your skin which is kind of what it is!

But if it works - I'll be sooooo happy eusa_pray.gif biggrin.gif

I know this isn't tackling the acne at the root cause, but sometimes you just get sick of trying the complicated routines, you know? I figure if this gets my acne under control, then I've got the time and the mental energy to focus on sorting the root cause after that

#8 BrenOne

BrenOne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Guitar playing, guitar playing.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

I know this isn't tackling the acne at the root cause, but sometimes you just get sick of trying the complicated routines, you know? I figure if this gets my acne under control, then I've got the time and the mental energy to focus on sorting the root cause after that

This is how I feel too. Very interesting - keep us posted!

#9 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (BrenOne @ May 27 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is how I feel too. Very interesting - keep us posted!

Hey BrenOne - yeh it's frustrating isn't it.

Applied the crystal for the 3rd time last night, and today I can report that the big cysts I had when I started have died (I still have the redness they left behind, so will have to wait for that to fade). So so far so good eusa_dance.gif

#10 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:45 AM

This is very interesting! Smart idea. smile.gif I think I shall get some of the deodorant as I dislike deodorants that inhibit sweating; I just want the stinky bacteria killed, that's all!

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#11 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ May 28 2008, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is very interesting! Smart idea. smile.gif I think I shall get some of the deodorant as I dislike deodorants that inhibit sweating; I just want the stinky bacteria killed, that's all!

Thanks Wynne

It does take a bit of a change of mindset over the sweating thing - but at the end of the day it's totally natural to sweat, and an important bodily function, so we really shouldn't be blocking up our pores with nasty chemicals. As you say, we just want to eliminate those stinky bacteria wink.gif

The crystal works well, but I've tried other natural deodorants with success too, such as Weleda's Wild Rose spray deodorant which works great.

#12 soultime

soultime

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

This seems promising, thanks for bringing it up citychick. My acne always looks better after Ive been in the sea, but right now its winter so im not going as often, so im sure this would help alot for everyday use.
Can you just tell me what is the consistency of this stuff, like will it leave your face after it dries with a mat or a shiny look? And what does it smell like? Cause i don't wanna be walking around with my face smelling all strong and flowery.
I agree with you there, right now im trina fix up my acne from the inside, but if this could control my acne topically in the meantime it would be great.
Thanks

#13 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (soultime @ May 28 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This seems promising, thanks for bringing it up citychick. My acne always looks better after Ive been in the sea, but right now its winter so im not going as often, so im sure this would help alot for everyday use.
Can you just tell me what is the consistency of this stuff, like will it leave your face after it dries with a mat or a shiny look? And what does it smell like? Cause i don't wanna be walking around with my face smelling all strong and flowery.
I agree with you there, right now im trina fix up my acne from the inside, but if this could control my acne topically in the meantime it would be great.
Thanks

Hi Soultime - if you buy the pure crystal deodorant with nothing else added it won't smell of anything. All the crystal deodorants I have come across are totally pure with nothing added. I just use it at night, apply it and leave it to dry. It goes on clear but when it dries, if you look closely, you can see a very very fine white layer of the salts.

If you wanted to use this in the daytime too, I'd recommend letting it dry and then adding a moisturiser - that way you wouldn't be left with the fine white layer. However I don't know what the affect would be on the antibacterial action by adding a moisturiser. Maybe it would still be effective, but I couldn't say for sure. Maybe just best to use it at night and see how you get on?

Tonight I've tried something different - I dissolved some salt crystals in a small amount of water and after washing and drying my face, I applied the salt solution with a bit of cotton wool. It stings a bit I have to admit - which doesn't happen when I use the crystal deodorant (which is made from Alum rather then Sodium Chloride). Anyway, I'm just giving it a go to see if I notice any difference. Am waiting for a couple of items to arrive which I ordered on ebay - one is a block of himalayan salt which is sold for use as a deodorant. When this arrives I might try using that instead, as it will be easier to use than dissolving the salt each time.

#14 GoBills

GoBills

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

I was at Whole Foods last night getting dinner and checked out the natural deodorant aisle. Picked up a bar of crystal salt deodorant with the Alum that's been discussed here.

Cost around $4 and lasts up to 1 year! Going to try it out as a deodorant first and then apply it to my face just to ensure I don't receive some sort of rash or reaction to it.

Hopefully this will get rid of the remaining 10% (I've cleared up the other 90% through my regimen) smile.gif
Morning - As of 5/15/08
Breakfast

Organic EVOO - 2 tbs
Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Vitamin B Complex
Dry Vitamin E - 400 iu
Calcium - 600 mg
Dinner
Organic EVOO - 1 tbs
Night
ZMA - 3 tabs

#15 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (GoBills @ May 28 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at Whole Foods last night getting dinner and checked out the natural deodorant aisle. Picked up a bar of crystal salt deodorant with the Alum that's been discussed here.

Cost around $4 and lasts up to 1 year! Going to try it out as a deodorant first and then apply it to my face just to ensure I don't receive some sort of rash or reaction to it.

Hopefully this will get rid of the remaining 10% (I've cleared up the other 90% through my regimen) smile.gif

Good plan to try it out as a deodorant first - makes sense to ensure you don't have some kind of weird reaction to it.

It is really cost effective hey?!! eusa_dance.gif

Let us know how you get on with it

#16 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

I just want to mention folks that I don't know if this will work best with an alum crystal deodorant or with a pure salt deodorant (for example a himalayan salt deodorant block). I'm trying both out to see.

Certainly the study I mentioned in my first post had success using a crystal deodorant, but it states that this contained around 98% sodium chloride (salt) and just traces of alum.

I'm trying them both because I figure that the alum also has antibacterial properties and might work just as well. Am waiting for my solid himalayan salt deodorant to arrive in the post, and in the meantime tonight I have tried dissolving salt crystals in water and applying the solution with some cotton wool. Here is an example of the kind of Himalayan Salt Deodorant I have ordered (I ordered mine off ebay).

I just don't want everyone to rush off and get the alum crystal deodorant and then find that it's the sodium chloride salt kind that works best! eusa_doh.gif

I'll carry on experimenting and let you all know the results. The results so far with the crystal alum deodorant have been fairly good, but I feel that because the study I found used sodium chloride crystals rather than pure alum ones, I have to try this as well.

Sorry if I'm confusing matters eusa_doh.gif

#17 sleaman

sleaman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

I tried this a long time ago and didnt have any success. I was using the Himalayan Sea Salt as well. I was dissolving it in water than applying and leaving on overnight. I did not notice any difference, good or bad. Hopefully you will have some success.

#18 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (sleaman @ May 28 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried this a long time ago and didnt have any success. I was using the Himalayan Sea Salt as well. I was dissolving it in water than applying and leaving on overnight. I did not notice any difference, good or bad. Hopefully you will have some success.

Good to hear your feedback Sleaman - sorry to hear you didn't have any success with it.

The method I'll be using with the Himalayan salt is wetting my face and then rubbing on the solid bar of salt, so I don't know if doing it this way, rather than dissolving it first, will make a difference.

I guess the only way I'll know if it works for me is by trying it out. I still have hope (if nothing else!) wink.gif

#19 citychick

citychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

Progress so far -

Wow! This seems to be really working for me. eusa_angel.gif

My himalayan salt rock arrived yesterday so I've been using that in place of the Alum (although by now I'm pretty convinced that the two types work basically the same).

Method I'm using

In the evening: washing my face as soon as I get home from work in the evening and applying it on my wet skin and leaving to dry. Not applying moisturiser afterwards. In the morning: washing my face and applying the himalayan salt rock again to my wet face, leaving it to dry and then applying moisturiser (as I don't want to go out of the house with a dry layer of salts evident on my face!).

The general redness and inflammation of the skin on my face is receding amazingly. I still have a few 'live' spots, but they are fading. My forehead is SMOOTH - which is incredible, as even if I don't have any actual live spots there I usually have some bumps under the skin waiting to come up - and it's now smooth and clear!

And another thing - I have had a big sebacous cyst on my chest for the past 3 years (literally - it was originally a spot and then turned into a cyst which just never went away. I went to the doctor about it and she said there was nothing much they could do apart from cutting it out, and even then it could return). And I thought why not try the rock on that too, it couldn't hurt. Well it's shrunk to HALF THE SIZE already - I kid you not! eusa_dance.gif eusa_dance.gif eusa_dance.gif

#20 GoBills

GoBills

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

Great to hear you're getting such decent results. I've been reluctant to take mine out of the packaging for fear that this deodorant wouldn't really work. Didn't want to stink up my office so I'll try it this weekend. lol.gif

I'll apply it to my face Sunday night if no irritation occurs under my arms.
Morning - As of 5/15/08
Breakfast

Organic EVOO - 2 tbs
Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Vitamin B Complex
Dry Vitamin E - 400 iu
Calcium - 600 mg
Dinner
Organic EVOO - 1 tbs
Night
ZMA - 3 tabs