Photo

Ice for spot treating

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 love4moz

love4moz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Me having ethnic skin I have tried everything under the sun but as for ice that has helped with my flamatory pain but I just said screw this and now utilize a hot icy pack or bag of frozen peas. But I noticed putting a little vitamin e oil with the aha t helps more and I don't scar which is awsome. Also I crush a biotin and mix it with the vitamin e oil and that has always helped me with a pimple that iis reocurring and so forth. Fyi.I pat it on to the skin and now I have porcelain skin

#22 arjun4

arjun4

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

ice works great for me...

i hold the corner of an icecube gently, but directly on (not a bag one face) either a freshly popped pimple or when i see one forming.. 1-2 minutes at most per lesion, twice per day.

its not an instant cure by any means but it significantly reduces the amount of time the pimple remains active... turns a 2 week pimple into a 2 day pimple for me in most cases

#23 Bolthouse

Bolthouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:11 AM

Yes, cold will help reduce redness and swelling but it's not going to cure a zit.

Much like you're supposed to ice a swolen ancle or a bump on your head.

When skin is irritated there is a lot of extra blood flow in that area (hence the redness). Cold will cause blood to flow away from the surface of the skin and go deeper into your body. This is essentially what frostbite is ... in extreme cold situations your body pushes blood to your vital organs and away from fingers and toes.

Using ice to reduce the redness and swelling does work and it also will aid healing because it's not so inflamed ... but you'll still have to deal with the zit healing process.

I've also used Visene (to "get the red out") with similar results to ice ... but ultimatly i find keeping my skin clean and using the DK products is a more universaly effective solution.

Ice or Visene would be more of a cosmetic "quick fix" for a short term situation ... like a photo shoot or a TV interview. This works especially well when you can cover up the blemish with makeup because it reduces the swelling.

#24 l3br0n23

l3br0n23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

This has helped me some.

#25 mehi

mehi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

For me, icing usually works for really large bumps. I have some trouble with blemishes on my neck, they are different than the pimples that appear on my face, chest or back and can get extremely large, red and painful. Icing the acne on my neck really helps in decreasing inflammation and if I ice and spot treat soon enough it goes away fast! I would suggest icing for people who have painful and severe breakouts to help with some of the discomfort as well as reducing some of the inflammation and swelling. I know it helps me... biggrin.gif

#26 gesiting

gesiting

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

Ice works very well for me. Emerging zits either subside completely, or emerge as small, manageable bumps. I ice before applying acne meds. I use ice cubes made with lady's mantle "tea" and a splash of apple cider vinegar. The theory being that it helps the skin heal and corrects Ph. It's really effective for me as part of my routine (which is Face Reality's regime). I use a small microfiber cloth (the kind the sell for cars) to hold the cube as it melts.

#27 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (gesiting @ Apr 26 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ice works very well for me. Emerging zits either subside completely, or emerge as small, manageable bumps. I ice before applying acne meds. I use ice cubes made with lady's mantle "tea" and a splash of apple cider vinegar. The theory being that it helps the skin heal and corrects Ph. It's really effective for me as part of my routine (which is Face Reality's regime). I use a small microfiber cloth (the kind the sell for cars) to hold the cube as it melts.

That's an interesting idea to make the ice out of a healing tea or a product that has the correct pH. smile.gif

#28 dirtbomb

dirtbomb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

I put ice on each spot I have once in the morning and once in the evening. It's kind of a pain in the ass at those times when I have a few/many to take care off, but I think it's worth it. Especially icing the acne that is not yet real acne, if you know what I mean. When it's still not developed but is about to become a zit very soon. I guess it's the same with that AHA stuff - haven't tried it myself but after what I read it's best to get em before they're developed.

Got the idea of icing from Wynne, by the way. Thanks Wynne biggrin.gif

#29 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (dirtbomb @ Apr 26 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put ice on each spot I have once in the morning and once in the evening. It's kind of a pain in the ass at those times when I have a few/many to take care off, but I think it's worth it. Especially icing the acne that is not yet real acne, if you know what I mean. When it's still not developed but is about to become a zit very soon. I guess it's the same with that AHA stuff - haven't tried it myself but after what I read it's best to get em before they're developed.

And I got the idea from willow569. smile.gif Thanks, willow! biggrin.gif

#30 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Apr 26 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dirtbomb @ Apr 26 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I got the idea from willow569. smile.gif Thanks, willow! biggrin.gif

Well, I am going to have to extend that thanks back to Laura from Face Reality. That's how I found out about it. smile.gif And she'd probably credit Dr. Fulton, since that's part of his treatment regimen that she uses too.

#31 BruceLi

BruceLi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

i don't think anybody answered the red mark question properly tongue.gif
i have the same question, and would like to know if icing red marks will speed up the process to get rid of them.

and.. if you're using an ice cube on your face for a pimple, how long should you have it on there for?

#32 xeroj

xeroj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (BruceLi @ Nov 7 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't think anybody answered the red mark question properly tongue.gif
i have the same question, and would like to know if icing red marks will speed up the process to get rid of them.

and.. if you're using an ice cube on your face for a pimple, how long should you have it on there for?

Definitely not more than a few minutes, if that. I've found leaving it there too long leaves a red mark that takes a day or so to go down.

I found that icing a spot before it reaches the surface properly makes a big difference, and icing the red/brown marks left behind by a spot makes them slightly decrease in size, but only when they're pretty faint already.

#33 BruceLi

BruceLi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

Ah, thanks for the info. I feel like a fool for applying the ice for more than 5 minutes.

#34 freeborn81

freeborn81

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Ice used properly is a great tool to clear up skin, but should never be applied directly to the skin since it can cause tissue damage slowly. The damage is not always immediately visible depending on skin type. The best way to use it is to use crushed ice (not cubes) wrap it in aluminum foil and place that in a plastic bag (this will keep it cold longer), the use a thin t-shirt or towel in between you face and the ice bag. You can use it until the ice melts, do it 2-4 times a day and it will help clear up your skin, even cysts that have been there for a while will slowly get smaller. Depending on how much acne you have it will take between 1-4 weeks to clear it all up and the more you do it the better it will be.

#35 freeborn81

freeborn81

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

*then*
Also, the aluminum will take the shape of where you press the bag to your face, so it is ok to push that to your face.

#36 freeborn81

freeborn81

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:46 AM

I apologize for posting on this page again, but I remembered something about skin and pores that I did not mention. I wanted anyone looking at this to be able to learn from it since I have learned so much here. Pores do technically open and close (but not from muscle). Pores are openings of sweat glands, they lead down to glands. The glands are attached to blood vessels (blood vessels are really thinly walled allowing things to pass through them), these blood vessels contract when cold is placed on the pores (either by temperature, steam, and a few other items). Think of it like a wood door that expands in heat and contracts when it is cold or how your face flushes when you get hot (which is blood vessels expanding and sending more blood to the surface of the skin). Since blood vessels are attached to the glands which are attached to the pores, pores do open and close. So the cold will close them but it will only shrink them for a short period of time.

#37 Rudie James

Rudie James

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (freeborn81 @ Nov 21 2009, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I apologize for posting on this page again, but I remembered something about skin and pores that I did not mention. I wanted anyone looking at this to be able to learn from it since I have learned so much here. Pores do technically open and close (but not from muscle). Pores are openings of sweat glands, they lead down to glands. The glands are attached to blood vessels (blood vessels are really thinly walled allowing things to pass through them), these blood vessels contract when cold is placed on the pores (either by temperature, steam, and a few other items). Think of it like a wood door that expands in heat and contracts when it is cold or how your face flushes when you get hot (which is blood vessels expanding and sending more blood to the surface of the skin). Since blood vessels are attached to the glands which are attached to the pores, pores do open and close. So the cold will close them but it will only shrink them for a short period of time.

I saw an interesting video from Dan where he basically says the adverse is the case, and also says considering pores too much ain't too great. You might want to check it out.

#38 PullingOutMyHair

PullingOutMyHair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

My dermatologist put me on(to) ice! I told him that i was desperate for at-home remedies, and he excitedly told me that many of his patients achieve drastic results from icing their faces for 15 minutes each day. I've followed suit, and found his advice to be true.

REGGY: retin-a micro .04 errry night, cetaphil gentle cleanser, clinique mosturizing gel

#39 Rob73

Rob73

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

Can you elaborate on 'Icing their faces for 15 minutes a day'?

Do you mean just spot-treating with ice as previously discussed in the thread? Or did you mean applying ice to all of the face for 15 mins to combat acne?

#40 Honeyjewel

Honeyjewel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

It definitely helps only if you ice it before its a big huge red bumps. Otherwise, I think its null and void because it just takes longer to heal! But if you feel a little itchy in a spot and its looking red ice that sucker!