Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice for spot treating

46 posts in this topic

Ice works very well for me. Emerging zits either subside completely, or emerge as small, manageable bumps. I ice before applying acne meds. I use ice cubes made with lady's mantle "tea" and a splash of apple cider vinegar. The theory being that it helps the skin heal and corrects Ph. It's really effective for me as part of my routine (which is Face Reality's regime). I use a small microfiber cloth (the kind the sell for cars) to hold the cube as it melts.

Ice works very well for me. Emerging zits either subside completely, or emerge as small, manageable bumps. I ice before applying acne meds. I use ice cubes made with lady's mantle "tea" and a splash of apple cider vinegar. The theory being that it helps the skin heal and corrects Ph. It's really effective for me as part of my routine (which is Face Reality's regime). I use a small microfiber cloth (the kind the sell for cars) to hold the cube as it melts.

That's an interesting idea to make the ice out of a healing tea or a product that has the correct pH. :)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

I put ice on each spot I have once in the morning and once in the evening. It's kind of a pain in the ass at those times when I have a few/many to take care off, but I think it's worth it. Especially icing the acne that is not yet real acne, if you know what I mean. When it's still not developed but is about to become a zit very soon. I guess it's the same with that AHA stuff - haven't tried it myself but after what I read it's best to get em before they're developed.

Got the idea of icing from Wynne, by the way. Thanks Wynne :D

I put ice on each spot I have once in the morning and once in the evening. It's kind of a pain in the ass at those times when I have a few/many to take care off, but I think it's worth it. Especially icing the acne that is not yet real acne, if you know what I mean. When it's still not developed but is about to become a zit very soon. I guess it's the same with that AHA stuff - haven't tried it myself but after what I read it's best to get em before they're developed.

And I got the idea from willow569. :) Thanks, willow! :D

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

And I got the idea from willow569. :) Thanks, willow! :D

Well, I am going to have to extend that thanks back to Laura from Face Reality. That's how I found out about it. :) And she'd probably credit Dr. Fulton, since that's part of his treatment regimen that she uses too.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel

-Finacea

-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)

-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub

-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night

-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel

-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone

*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...1620&st=460

i don't think anybody answered the red mark question properly :P

i have the same question, and would like to know if icing red marks will speed up the process to get rid of them.

and.. if you're using an ice cube on your face for a pimple, how long should you have it on there for?

i don't think anybody answered the red mark question properly :P

i have the same question, and would like to know if icing red marks will speed up the process to get rid of them.

and.. if you're using an ice cube on your face for a pimple, how long should you have it on there for?

Definitely not more than a few minutes, if that. I've found leaving it there too long leaves a red mark that takes a day or so to go down.

I found that icing a spot before it reaches the surface properly makes a big difference, and icing the red/brown marks left behind by a spot makes them slightly decrease in size, but only when they're pretty faint already.

Ice used properly is a great tool to clear up skin, but should never be applied directly to the skin since it can cause tissue damage slowly. The damage is not always immediately visible depending on skin type. The best way to use it is to use crushed ice (not cubes) wrap it in aluminum foil and place that in a plastic bag (this will keep it cold longer), the use a thin t-shirt or towel in between you face and the ice bag. You can use it until the ice melts, do it 2-4 times a day and it will help clear up your skin, even cysts that have been there for a while will slowly get smaller. Depending on how much acne you have it will take between 1-4 weeks to clear it all up and the more you do it the better it will be.

I apologize for posting on this page again, but I remembered something about skin and pores that I did not mention. I wanted anyone looking at this to be able to learn from it since I have learned so much here. Pores do technically open and close (but not from muscle). Pores are openings of sweat glands, they lead down to glands. The glands are attached to blood vessels (blood vessels are really thinly walled allowing things to pass through them), these blood vessels contract when cold is placed on the pores (either by temperature, steam, and a few other items). Think of it like a wood door that expands in heat and contracts when it is cold or how your face flushes when you get hot (which is blood vessels expanding and sending more blood to the surface of the skin). Since blood vessels are attached to the glands which are attached to the pores, pores do open and close. So the cold will close them but it will only shrink them for a short period of time.

I apologize for posting on this page again, but I remembered something about skin and pores that I did not mention. I wanted anyone looking at this to be able to learn from it since I have learned so much here. Pores do technically open and close (but not from muscle). Pores are openings of sweat glands, they lead down to glands. The glands are attached to blood vessels (blood vessels are really thinly walled allowing things to pass through them), these blood vessels contract when cold is placed on the pores (either by temperature, steam, and a few other items). Think of it like a wood door that expands in heat and contracts when it is cold or how your face flushes when you get hot (which is blood vessels expanding and sending more blood to the surface of the skin). Since blood vessels are attached to the glands which are attached to the pores, pores do open and close. So the cold will close them but it will only shrink them for a short period of time.

I saw an interesting video from Dan where he basically says the adverse is the case, and also says considering pores too much ain't too great. You might want to check it out.

My dermatologist put me on(to) ice! I told him that i was desperate for at-home remedies, and he excitedly told me that many of his patients achieve drastic results from icing their faces for 15 minutes each day. I've followed suit, and found his advice to be true.

REGGY: retin-a micro .04 errry night, cetaphil gentle cleanser, clinique mosturizing gel

Can you elaborate on 'Icing their faces for 15 minutes a day'?

Do you mean just spot-treating with ice as previously discussed in the thread? Or did you mean applying ice to all of the face for 15 mins to combat acne?

It definitely helps only if you ice it before its a big huge red bumps. Otherwise, I think its null and void because it just takes longer to heal! But if you feel a little itchy in a spot and its looking red ice that sucker!

ive tried icing cysts and im pretty sure it just makes them last longer.

my theory is when you ice it the blood rushes away from the acne which stops healing / lets the bacteria breed.

maybe im just doing it wrong :/

Ice as a spot treatment has worked great for me. Although I prefer to use a chilled ice pack (the small brick ones you put in a cooler) as opposed to actual cubes. It's less of a mess, easier to hold, and provides even coverage.

Also, you can wipe these bricks down if you're worried about accumulating oils on them. These are very cheap, and can usually be found in any grocery store.

I recommend applying the pack to each area for only a short period of time (less than a minute). This allows the acne to shrink and not irritate or numb the face and hand. At least, this is what works for me.

Hope this helps.

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

I've had some success when applying ice to a forming pimple but I have found on occasion that the pimple returns in exactly the same place a few days later.

Yes! I saw a red area next to my lip a few days ago. It was a little painful, and I knew that it was going to develop into a lesion. I started icing it before doing the regimen in the morning and evening and applying extra AHA in that spot. The spot has remained an almost-invisible red bump and is now going away. I would definitely recommend this approach.

Place ice on the inflamed area for 10 to 15 minutes at a time, no more than once per hour. You can do this a few times a day. The ice will calm the inflamed tissue and numb the pain a bit. If the ice is too uncomfortable when applied directly to your skin, try wrapping the ice in a towel.

Alternate with a few minutes of heat and a few minutes of ice. Heat a special microwavable heat pack or use a heating pad. Not only does this help take away the sting of the cold, alternating hot and cold also helps the area heal faster. The cold reduces pain and inflammation while the heat rushes circulation and nutrients to the tissues.

Take one or two ibuprofen once or twice a day. It's best if you take it with food and water. When used properly, ibuprofen can help reduce your pain and inflammation while you heal. However, don't take ibuprofen without first consulting your doctor.

Rub a pain gel containing menthol to the skin. Follow the package instructions and never apply more than the recommended amount.