Photo

Ice for spot treating

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

I was speaking with an esthetician friend the other day and she was echoing what Dr. Fulton says about the importance of ice in reducing inflammation. She in particular said oftentimes when she is able to get her clients to ice a developing lesion right when it starts that they can stop it in its tracks.

Has anyone had success icing lesions as spot treatment? I'm wondering if ice followed by glycolic acid is even better than glycolic acid alone...

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

I use ice regularly and it significantly reduces the length of existence of lesions for me. I also use glycolic acid. The combo keeps me clear. I've slacked off with my routine in the last few months so now I have two spots. Grrrr.

(My signature has the method I use most often; it's the last link in my signature).

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#3 SuperFly

SuperFly

Justa Happy Guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

I remember Brandy as being a big fan of icing pimples, I'm interested to see what she has to say.

From my own experience, icing pimples seems to slow progression down. If a hot compress speeds up a pimple's "lifespan"--it inflames the pimple, causing it to come to a head and pop, thus healing it more quickly--then icing it does the opposite. Whenever I've iced a pimple it seems to be preventing it from getting large, but it usually gets large anyway and just takes longer to heal. I think I'll try it a few more times in the future, though.
[sig-img:248]

#4 SuperFly

SuperFly

Justa Happy Guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

I thought a topic made by Dan himself would incite more discussion than this! That's what I wanted to say and this definitely isn't a bump.
[sig-img:248]

#5 wanabeacnefree

wanabeacnefree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

Yep, I ice my lesions all the time which reduces inflammation. You have to start icing it as soon as you feel it surfacing though.

We are here to live a life...let's begin!

MY LOG

#6 Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

This has helped with some of the larger spots i've had for sure...

#7 BrenOne

BrenOne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:03 AM

I've used ice for a long time - I find it really effective in reducing the inflammation and the duration / size of them. Only rarely though has it stopped it in it's tracks (eg stopped it from coming up/coming to a head), and those have been ones I've caught really early.

I have had some cystic breakouts and ice hasn't been so effective on those - simply because it doesn't penetrate deeply enough I think.

#8 Belief

Belief

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:37 AM

I've tried ice in the past, it does significantly reduce the inflammation. But I don't find it as good as topical anti-inflammatories. I'm debating whether it reduces the inflammation or just slows down the spot from developing as fast? As for the glycolic acid, ice can open the pores therefore the penetration of glycolic acid is increased. Hope this helps.

#9 Dkboy

Dkboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

I would think that ice closes the pores? Isn't it that heat opens pores and cold closes them?

#10 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

Pores don't open or close. They can be stretched out with gunk in them and sometimes they're able to return to the original size if the gunk hasn't been in them for a long time and increased the size of the pore permanently.

Aging and sun exposure will increase the laxity of the surrounding structures of the pores, making the pore opening sag and appear larger.

#11 wema

wema

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ May 25 2008, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aging and sun exposure will increase the laxity of the surrounding structures of the pores, making the pore opening sag and appear larger.

That's what has happened to me because of sun exposure. My skin is a lot worse on my left side than my right because of these huge pores on my cheek. I've never been particularly a sun worshipper, but you can't really help getting a lot of sun just by living in Texas like I do. I think most of my exposure on that side is because my left side was most exposed driving and in my younger years I wasn't worried about sunscreen like I am now that I'm older. I've read that retin-a could possibly help me, but I still don't have any.

Anyway, great tip about icing. It makes a lot of sense to me and I'm definitely going to try that the next one I see/feel one coming on.

#12 PWPager08

PWPager08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

I've heard that icing it and then applying a dap of a clay mask helps reduce the size and life span of a pimple...

#13 PinkSushi

PinkSushi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Haven't had much success with using ice for active zits, but when I've got a scab, like after a cyst has popped I find iceing helps the skin heal a bit faster - it increases the bloodflow when the ice is removed.

#14 justagrl

justagrl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

I've used ice often to help reduce swelling and inflammation after a zit has popped. I think it helps speed up healing.

What I've been using ice for recently though is itching!! I just started the regimen on Monday and am having a lot of itching, especially right after applying the products in the morning and at night. I've found that the ice helps ease the itching a lot! I have one of those big ice pack things that can cover a large portion of my face at once. Works great.

#15 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

Yep, I'm a fan of icing if you catch them very early on. Especially if they are painful and deep.

We're all in this together.

#16 PaperCloud

PaperCloud

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

I like to apply an ice-cube to quickly reduce inflamed blemishes sometimes. Usually, I'll apply the ice to the pimple for 5 - 10 minutes at night right before I wash my face and go through my skincare regimen. By the next morning, the inflammation is usually significantly reduced. biggrin.gif

#17 Benhi

Benhi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:26 AM

I iced a spot on my nose for two weeks and I thought I had control of it, but sloooowly it just got bigger. Then I went to holiday for 2,5 weeks(without icing) and it still didn't disappear. Actually it looked almost the same before I went to holiday. I kinda think I just prolonged the entire process, when icing it, and when I got home I decided to pop it even though it only had a very tiny head, the pus came out right away. That was a good decision, as the red mark, 4 days later, is almost gone.

#18 paulvg

paulvg

Samick Greg Bennett Royale Line Guitars' Rocks!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hey,,if I ice the red mark left by a pimple..will it fade or lighten?
A guitar world word of warning here: don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him. Even if you manage that, the best you can expect from it is to play in a band covering his material and/or be forever known as the guy who 'imitates that other famous guy'.

#19 Timothy:D

Timothy:D

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

Same here, it works well for large ones. I've never really bothered to ice the little ones.

#20 Peytar

Peytar

Why so serious?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

I've had no success. Then again, the only times I've ever tried it is when I'm about to leave the house in 30 minutes and notice a fat mountain on my chin. I then put a nice bag of ice on it and it usually gets worse for me so I've stopped bothering.

How are you supposed to do it anyway? I think a big mistake I made was pushing the ice against my pimples really hard and that probably just irritated it more.