Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice for spot treating

46 posts in this topic

I was speaking with an esthetician friend the other day and she was echoing what Dr. Fulton says about the importance of ice in reducing inflammation. She in particular said oftentimes when she is able to get her clients to ice a developing lesion right when it starts that they can stop it in its tracks.

Has anyone had success icing lesions as spot treatment? I'm wondering if ice followed by glycolic acid is even better than glycolic acid alone...

I use ice regularly and it significantly reduces the length of existence of lesions for me. I also use glycolic acid. The combo keeps me clear. I've slacked off with my routine in the last few months so now I have two spots. Grrrr.

(My signature has the method I use most often; it's the last link in my signature).

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

I remember Brandy as being a big fan of icing pimples, I'm interested to see what she has to say.

From my own experience, icing pimples seems to slow progression down. If a hot compress speeds up a pimple's "lifespan"--it inflames the pimple, causing it to come to a head and pop, thus healing it more quickly--then icing it does the opposite. Whenever I've iced a pimple it seems to be preventing it from getting large, but it usually gets large anyway and just takes longer to heal. I think I'll try it a few more times in the future, though.

[sig-img:248]

I thought a topic made by Dan himself would incite more discussion than this! That's what I wanted to say and this definitely isn't a bump.

[sig-img:248]

Yep, I ice my lesions all the time which reduces inflammation. You have to start icing it as soon as you feel it surfacing though.

We are here to live a life...let's begin!

MY LOG

This has helped with some of the larger spots i've had for sure...

I've used ice for a long time - I find it really effective in reducing the inflammation and the duration / size of them. Only rarely though has it stopped it in it's tracks (eg stopped it from coming up/coming to a head), and those have been ones I've caught really early.

I have had some cystic breakouts and ice hasn't been so effective on those - simply because it doesn't penetrate deeply enough I think.

I've tried ice in the past, it does significantly reduce the inflammation. But I don't find it as good as topical anti-inflammatories. I'm debating whether it reduces the inflammation or just slows down the spot from developing as fast? As for the glycolic acid, ice can open the pores therefore the penetration of glycolic acid is increased. Hope this helps.

I would think that ice closes the pores? Isn't it that heat opens pores and cold closes them?

Pores don't open or close. They can be stretched out with gunk in them and sometimes they're able to return to the original size if the gunk hasn't been in them for a long time and increased the size of the pore permanently.

Aging and sun exposure will increase the laxity of the surrounding structures of the pores, making the pore opening sag and appear larger.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

Aging and sun exposure will increase the laxity of the surrounding structures of the pores, making the pore opening sag and appear larger.

I've heard that icing it and then applying a dap of a clay mask helps reduce the size and life span of a pimple...

Haven't had much success with using ice for active zits, but when I've got a scab, like after a cyst has popped I find iceing helps the skin heal a bit faster - it increases the bloodflow when the ice is removed.

I've used ice often to help reduce swelling and inflammation after a zit has popped. I think it helps speed up healing.

What I've been using ice for recently though is itching!! I just started the regimen on Monday and am having a lot of itching, especially right after applying the products in the morning and at night. I've found that the ice helps ease the itching a lot! I have one of those big ice pack things that can cover a large portion of my face at once. Works great.

Yep, I'm a fan of icing if you catch them very early on. Especially if they are painful and deep.

I like to apply an ice-cube to quickly reduce inflamed blemishes sometimes. Usually, I'll apply the ice to the pimple for 5 - 10 minutes at night right before I wash my face and go through my skincare regimen. By the next morning, the inflammation is usually significantly reduced. :D

I iced a spot on my nose for two weeks and I thought I had control of it, but sloooowly it just got bigger. Then I went to holiday for 2,5 weeks(without icing) and it still didn't disappear. Actually it looked almost the same before I went to holiday. I kinda think I just prolonged the entire process, when icing it, and when I got home I decided to pop it even though it only had a very tiny head, the pus came out right away. That was a good decision, as the red mark, 4 days later, is almost gone.

Hey,,if I ice the red mark left by a pimple..will it fade or lighten?

A guitar world word of warning here: don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him. Even if you manage that, the best you can expect from it is to play in a band covering his material and/or be forever known as the guy who 'imitates that other famous guy'.

Same here, it works well for large ones. I've never really bothered to ice the little ones.

I've had no success. Then again, the only times I've ever tried it is when I'm about to leave the house in 30 minutes and notice a fat mountain on my chin. I then put a nice bag of ice on it and it usually gets worse for me so I've stopped bothering.

How are you supposed to do it anyway? I think a big mistake I made was pushing the ice against my pimples really hard and that probably just irritated it more.

Me having ethnic skin I have tried everything under the sun but as for ice that has helped with my flamatory pain but I just said screw this and now utilize a hot icy pack or bag of frozen peas. But I noticed putting a little vitamin e oil with the aha t helps more and I don't scar which is awsome. Also I crush a biotin and mix it with the vitamin e oil and that has always helped me with a pimple that iis reocurring and so forth. Fyi.I pat it on to the skin and now I have porcelain skin

ice works great for me...

i hold the corner of an icecube gently, but directly on (not a bag one face) either a freshly popped pimple or when i see one forming.. 1-2 minutes at most per lesion, twice per day.

its not an instant cure by any means but it significantly reduces the amount of time the pimple remains active... turns a 2 week pimple into a 2 day pimple for me in most cases

Yes, cold will help reduce redness and swelling but it's not going to cure a zit.

Much like you're supposed to ice a swolen ancle or a bump on your head.

When skin is irritated there is a lot of extra blood flow in that area (hence the redness). Cold will cause blood to flow away from the surface of the skin and go deeper into your body. This is essentially what frostbite is ... in extreme cold situations your body pushes blood to your vital organs and away from fingers and toes.

Using ice to reduce the redness and swelling does work and it also will aid healing because it's not so inflamed ... but you'll still have to deal with the zit healing process.

I've also used Visene (to "get the red out") with similar results to ice ... but ultimatly i find keeping my skin clean and using the DK products is a more universaly effective solution.

Ice or Visene would be more of a cosmetic "quick fix" for a short term situation ... like a photo shoot or a TV interview. This works especially well when you can cover up the blemish with makeup because it reduces the swelling.

For me, icing usually works for really large bumps. I have some trouble with blemishes on my neck, they are different than the pimples that appear on my face, chest or back and can get extremely large, red and painful. Icing the acne on my neck really helps in decreasing inflammation and if I ice and spot treat soon enough it goes away fast! I would suggest icing for people who have painful and severe breakouts to help with some of the discomfort as well as reducing some of the inflammation and swelling. I know it helps me... :D