Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acne vaccine ?

27 posts in this topic

would this vaccine actually be for acne then? in my microbiology course my prof. told us that if p. acnes gets into your bloodstream, it can cause endocarditis. now, the vaccine would create antibodies for the bacteria circulating in your bloodstream. to me, it sounds like the vaccine, then, would be more for the endocarditis aspect. but woud it have an effect on the p. acnes that get into your pores (i assume from the outside external environment, meaning not using the bloodstream)?

will step on u

Suprised that this hasn't been thought of already...

would this vaccine actually be for acne then? in my microbiology course my prof. told us that if p. acnes gets into your bloodstream, it can cause endocarditis. now, the vaccine would create antibodies for the bacteria circulating in your bloodstream. to me, it sounds like the vaccine, then, would be more for the endocarditis aspect. but woud it have an effect on the p. acnes that get into your pores (i assume from the outside external environment, meaning not using the bloodstream)?

Alot of people with mild/sporadic acne have success by quitting picking and quitting products. I wonder if doing that would simply allow your body to slowly develop back its own antibodies and slowly distribute those antibodies (immune strategy/knowledge) to the immune cells (to essentially... re-teach the immune system "when" to leave p. acnes alone, and "when" to take it out--which would be after they've colonized and begun causing inflammation).

Hmm. I'm not really sure how this vaccine would work.

If I'm not wrong, what a vaccine does is that it delivers a harmless form of the microorganism which will then elicit a immune response from the body. The next time the real microbe comes, the body will know exactly how to deal with it, so the microbe will be killed before it could cause any symptoms

The diseases that can be vaccinated against are usually those where you get infected once and you gain total immunity against them. Diseases like chicken pox, polio, measles. Strains that can rapidly mutate usually do not have true vaccines. The flu vaccine for example guards against current strains but will have to be 'updated' in the future because it won't work against future strains.

Besides, after repeated exposure to the acne bacteria, the body should have developed immunity against it on its own. If it hasn't, then it is unlikely any vaccine would help.

In any case, even if the vaccine does work, it won't help us because all vaccines are preventative in nature. There is no point giving someone who already has chickenpox a vaccine because the vaccine is not a cure, just a prophylatic measure. It might be good news for those who hasn't got acne though.

Hmm. I'm not really sure how this vaccine would work.

If I'm not wrong, what a vaccine does is that it delivers a harmless form of the microorganism which will then elicit a immune response from the body. The next time the real microbe comes, the body will know exactly how to deal with it, so the microbe will be killed before it could cause any symptoms

The diseases that can be vaccinated against are usually those where you get infected once and you gain total immunity against them. Diseases like chicken pox, polio, measles. Strains that can rapidly mutate usually do not have true vaccines. The flu vaccine for example guards against current strains but will have to be 'updated' in the future because it won't work against future strains.

Besides, after repeated exposure to the acne bacteria, the body should have developed immunity against it on its own. If it hasn't, then it is unlikely any vaccine would help.

In any case, even if the vaccine does work, it won't help us because all vaccines are preventative in nature. There is no point giving someone who already has chickenpox a vaccine because the vaccine is not a cure, just a prophylatic measure. It might be good news for those who hasn't got acne though.

I was thinking in terms of allergy shots too when I read it. A few of my family members had deadly allergies as children and took allergy shots and can now (as adults) be exposed to the allergens with mild or no effects. Its the same logic as homeopathy too. Aid the body in doing its job...wake up the immune system and get your immune system working the same way as clear-skinned people's immunity.

But I think a person with acne could conceivably retrain their own system but would have to live with ugly spots from the spot's "cradle to grave" without any interference: no extraction/popping, no shot, no spot treatment, nothing; until the immune system straightens out. In other words, let the immune system kill the p.acnes, which left in the system is just like the heat-inactivated cultures used in the experiment--it induces antibody creation (AFTER the awful inflammation period--the hardest part to go through). You could have an anti-inflammatory diet, to help some, but no spot treatment of inflammation. It's part of the process that your body MUST go through. You'd have to do this with every single spot (NO interference, no benz. per., nothing), but it would seem that over time there would be fewer and less severe spots, until finally: clear skin. Basically: do nothing. Do nothing to interfere with the "handling" of p.acnes. You can still wash and AHA and moisturize and do whatever you do for keeping nice, young skin...but do nothing that interferes with the immune response to the spot/infection. You could nourish your immune system with green tea, zinc, echinacea, etc...but don't interfere with it...don't try to do its job for it. (Obviously this is for your basic pimply skin, not for severe cystic acne, which should be referred to a doctor.) What do you guys think?

Wow. That makes sense.

However, if acne bacteria does not elicit a immune response from the body even though the body knows that it's there, the vaccine shouldn't be any good because the immune system won't be provoked by it as well.

I theorize that there already is an acne vaccine/cure/whatever. Obviously they don't wanna release it to the public because acne prevention companies and such make billions and helps the economy.

I theorize that there already is an acne vaccine/cure/whatever. Obviously they don't wanna release it to the public because acne prevention companies and such make billions and helps the economy.

The reason there isn't a cure at the minute is because the human body is a very difficult thing to work against. There is no conspiracy.

When I'm clear, I'm on top of the world. When I have acne, I'm lost.

You are being attacked by acne bacteria all the time so a preventive measure is a good idea.

Well, I am not sure about this for 3 reasons:

1) Inflammation Comes First in Acne - http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v121/n1/full/5601829a.html,

2) P. Acnes is meant to be in the follicles. http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/46...ourcetype=HWCIT, and;

3) Comedones form independently of P. Acnes activity - see this about P. Acnes: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin...388382/PDFSTART (note the part of this document where it is stated "By depleting P. acnes through antibiotic use, the host could theoretically increase susceptibility to infection by pathogens" - a possible "side" effect of this proposed Anti-Acne vaccine?).

For these reasons, I doubt that there can be an anti-Acne vaccine, unless you turn the body into being anti-inflammatory somehow; and especially not one that will actually work for acne through somehow modifying P. Acnes activity.

Apparently antibiotics work for Acne because of the seemingly little known fact that antibiotics are anti-inflammatory.

Has anyone heard of ACNEVAC.

It isn't acne vaccuum....acne vaccine.

It was patented in 2008 I think and the patent finishes up in 2018. It seems to only be available in Czech Republic. I've emailed them asking a few questions.

Now, this product works like a vaccine in humans just like immunoregulin works in animals. Now, this company Bioveta Inc. has both a human and vetirinary division. Obviously, they figured something was working for animals so they decided to develop something for humans. Could this company be on to something here?

How exciting. I can't wait to hear from them.

Yea but 2018? That's a loong time. They should have been working on this acne vaccine since the time acne was present. It's pretty ignorant of people to start thinking of a way to cure something once it's been around for awhile. I think preventative care is best.

I doubt we'll have an acne vaccine in our life, the best they can do for us is topical and oral medication.

I am not very creative.

Skin status:
Red marks + few scars + the occasional zit, but NO ACNE