Photo

Is it OK to put moisturizer on pimples?

pimple pimples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Shaara

Shaara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

I have dry flaky skin in some areas from using cleaners/BP but I am scared that if I put moisturizer on top of my pimples it's just going to irritate them and make them worse! Am I totally wrong, or... ?

Right now I'm not using any moisturizer because I live in Japan and I really can't read the ingredient labels on products, so I'm afraid to try anything. lol

I got my Mom to send me some Aveeno and Olay moisturizers and I'm going to try those.

Thanks for any advice!! biggrin.gif

#2 jbrown

jbrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Shaara @ May 12 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have dry flaky skin in some areas from using cleaners/BP but I am scared that if I put moisturizer on top of my pimples it's just going to irritate them and make them worse! Am I totally wrong, or... ?

Right now I'm not using any moisturizer because I live in Japan and I really can't read the ingredient labels on products, so I'm afraid to try anything. lol

I got my Mom to send me some Aveeno and Olay moisturizers and I'm going to try those.

It's important to moisturize, especially with acne. I use to hate it cause my skin was already oily, but it keeps your skin healthy. So all I have to say is, Yes use your moisturizer, don't be afraid. Dry skin can cause more breakouts.

#3 Athan

Athan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:13 AM

Using moisturizer can run the risk of clogging pores. It's a delicate balance between cleansing oils off your face and putting them back on to prevent dryness. On the whole, however, using moisturizer is a positive thing. Dry skin is much more likely to promote acne (and your own unhappiness) than a good moisturizer.

#4 jbrown

jbrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Athan @ May 12 2008, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Using moisturizer can run the risk of clogging pores. It's a delicate balance between cleansing oils off your face and putting them back on to prevent dryness. On the whole, however, using moisturizer is a positive thing. Dry skin is much more likely to promote acne (and your own unhappiness) than a good moisturizer.

"Using moisturizer can run the risk of clogging pores." - that was a pointless & unnecessary contradiction. Just use the moisturizer it's good for your skin.

#5 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

Pick one that is non-comedogenic.

#6 Shaara

Shaara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

Ok, thank you so much everyone smile.gif I'll start using it as soon as it gets here.

#7 coffeejunkie

coffeejunkie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

moisturising is so neccessary for skin even with acne...i use bobbi brown and its pretty good smile.gifsmile.gif

#8 NyamNyam

NyamNyam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

[Hijacks Thread] All moisturisers I've tried break me out sad.gif. I havn't moisturised since having nothing but bad results from around 4 different moisturisers. I guess I will have to use some when I start accutane. Can anyone reccomend a moisturiser for extremely sensitive skin? Tyyy

#9 destinyrose

destinyrose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

Make sure it's oil-free.

#10 Sushi891

Sushi891

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

Definitely, DEFINITELY make sure it says noncomedogenic on the bottle. If it doesn't say anything about not clogging pores, then don't use it. I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. It's amazing.

#11 jbrown

jbrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Sushi891 @ May 12 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely, DEFINITELY make sure it says noncomedogenic on the bottle. If it doesn't say anything about not clogging pores, then don't use it. I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. It's amazing.

i used it too. I started using Aveeno Positively Ageless Moisturizer. Think thats what it's called. You should try the new one, Great stuff.

#12 speaktwice

speaktwice

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

I've never moisturized until today. I must have REALLY tough skill because I used to apply mass amounts of BP with no moisturizer and it being fine. I've recently been using head and shoulders on my face (it helps me more than BP if anyone cares). At first just leaving it on for 5 or 10 minutes then washing off, after a couple days of that just strait up leaving it on. After reading something about sea salt I exfoiliated with that (also never exfoiliated before) before putting on the head and shoulders (washing the salt off first). That was this morning and I noticed I had a pretty bad red rash/dry spot on my upper lip that had a bunch of skin flaking off. Not sure if it's going to cause me to break out but it's better than red flaking skin.

#13 Shaara

Shaara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Sushi891 @ May 13 2008, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool! I got my Mom to send me some Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer w/ SPF 15. Apparently it's non-comedogenic, so I hope it's alright!

#14 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (speaktwice @ May 12 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never moisturized until today. I must have REALLY tough skill because I used to apply mass amounts of BP with no moisturizer and it being fine. I've recently been using head and shoulders on my face (it helps me more than BP if anyone cares). At first just leaving it on for 5 or 10 minutes then washing off, after a couple days of that just strait up leaving it on. After reading something about sea salt I exfoiliated with that (also never exfoiliated before) before putting on the head and shoulders (washing the salt off first). That was this morning and I noticed I had a pretty bad red rash/dry spot on my upper lip that had a bunch of skin flaking off. Not sure if it's going to cause me to break out but it's better than red flaking skin.

IMHO, sea salt is way, way too abrasive to use as an exfoliant. Too many sharp edges. I'd suggest using either the baby brush method or something with beads. None of that apricot pit stuff either. It can really scratch your skin.

#15 Athan

Athan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (jbrown @ May 12 2008, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Athan @ May 12 2008, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Using moisturizer can run the risk of clogging pores." - that was a pointless & unnecessary contradiction. Just use the moisturizer it's good for your skin.

Moisturizer can clog pores, bottom line. I'm not quite sure why you decided to attack my statement, but it's true. I'm pretty sure it's worth the TCs time considering the nature of the topic. It's not nearly as simple as "it's good for your skin," and I would appreciate if you would exercise a bit more maturity.

#16 speaktwice

speaktwice

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Cecelia @ May 12 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (speaktwice @ May 12 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMHO, sea salt is way, way too abrasive to use as an exfoliant. Too many sharp edges. I'd suggest using either the baby brush method or something with beads. None of that apricot pit stuff either. It can really scratch your skin.

I have to rubg it really gently BUT it seems to be helping so I'm going to continue with it, would NOT suggest it to anyone with sensitive skin. My skin, as I said before, is really tough. It still looks and feels soft but it seems to be able to stand a lot.

#17 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (jbrown @ May 11 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Shaara @ May 12 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's important to moisturize, especially with acne. I use to hate it cause my skin was already oily, but it keeps your skin healthy. So all I have to say is, Yes use your moisturizer, don't be afraid. Dry skin can cause more breakouts.

Not for me it doesnt. I have incredibly dry skin and my skin has been looking fabulous in comparison to how it was before when I was moisturizing. I havent been moisturizing for two months and my face looks a lot healthier. I think its best to go by an individual basis.

QUOTE (Raggamuffin @ May 12 2008, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[Hijacks Thread] All moisturisers I've tried break me out sad.gif . I havn't moisturised since having nothing but bad results from around 4 different moisturisers. I guess I will have to use some when I start accutane. Can anyone reccomend a moisturiser for extremely sensitive skin? Tyyy

Ive tried like five moisturizers and they all broke me out so I stopped.